PDA

View Full Version : Rod Woodson thinks Mike Tomlin will "rein in" Bruce Arians

polamalubeast
07-14-2010, 05:06 AM
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/07/13/rod-woodson-thinks-mike-tomlin-will-rein-in-bruce-arians/

Rod Woodson thinks Mike Tomlin will "rein in" Bruce Arians
Posted by Michael David Smith on July 13, 2010 7:26 PM ET
The news that Steelers coach Mike Tomlin has agreed to a three-year contract extension has one great former Steelers player thinking it's time for Tomlin to get a tighter grip on his coaching staff.

"I think he's going to start showing what he wants to be as a football team," former Steelers defensive back Rod Woodson said Tuesday on NFL Network. "I think he's going to rein in the offensive coordinator, Bruce Arians. I think he's going to rein him in so they can see the identity they've had in the past."

There was talk after the 2009 season that Tomlin would fire Arians at the request of the front office, but both Tomlin and the Rooney family have said there was no pressure to push Arians out.

Woodson also said Tomlin needs to "try to find a successor" at defensive coordinator, "because Dick LeBeau can't coach forever, even though he seems like he could."

But while Woodson (who played five seasons in Pittsburgh under Chuck Noll and five more under Bill Cowher) seems to think Tomlin has changes in store for his coaching staff, Woodson also praised the Steelers' continuity in the top job.

"What I love about the Steelers organization is that this is the first year they didn't go to the playoffs under Mike Tomlin, and nevertheless, the Steelers said, 'You're our coach, you're going to be the guy for the upcoming years,'" Woodson said. "That's stability in the locker room, and that's why the Steelers organization, year in and year out, produces good football teams. Because they don't have to worry about who's their coach."

solardave
07-14-2010, 08:01 AM
Makes sense, he does have the power over Ben now and even though him and the FO denied the rumor about Arians possible firing I'll bet there was a closed door meeting about RUNNING THE DAMN BALL!!!!

steeldawg
07-14-2010, 08:24 AM
Its not running the ball thats the issue we had an 1100 yrd rusher in mendenhall along with a 4000 yrd passer in roethlisberger. Also we were 6-2 to start the season. The problem was with the offense was situational playcalling, we couldnt put the ball in the end zone in the red zone and getting a first down on short yardage was like pulling teeth. Arians knows how to move the ball the problem with his offfensive gameplan is that in that offense if your not capping your drives with touchdowns it puts pressure on your defense, because your not chewing up clock and your opponet is getting more cracks at your D. Running the ball is great but in the nfl today its tough to play clock control especially if our defense plays like it played last season we will have no choice but to pass. As far a closed door meeting about running the ball with the FO, i doubt it. I dont think they sat Arians down and said we gave ben 100 million dollars to hand off how dare you make him pass. And when they brought arians in the knew what type of coordinater he was and they re signed him so i dont think they are going to ask him to change his whole offensive philosphy and become a clock control running offense, if that was the case they would of brought in someone who fits that mold.

Chidi29
07-14-2010, 11:38 AM
We don't "need" to run the ball. We don't "need" to get our identity back.

We need to utilize the strengths of the team. That's how we won in the past. We were a team built to run in the past. If we think we are this year, then so be it. If not, then stay the course.

The only identity I want to get back is winning.