PDA

View Full Version : Diploma in hand, Steelers' Roethlisberger tackles new playbook

Count Steeler
05-09-2012, 04:43 PM
Hitting the books at age 30 has produced two tangible items for Ben Roethlisberger these days, one a college degree, the other a headache.

He earned a degree in education from Miami University Sunday by completing course work left languishing for nearly eight years while he pursued a career in professional football. He earned a post-graduate headache going over the course work of professor Todd Haley, who introduced his new playbook to the Steelers offense after the draft.

"That one'ss a little harder than the Miami ones I was doing," Roethlisberger said after he left another of Haley's classes at the Steelers facility on the South Side Wednesday. "I joke and say that my final paper for Miami on Tibet was a lot easier than the Rosetta Stone we're doing now here."

Haley's new playbook may be thicker than anything Miami offered, only there will be no cap and gown ceremony for graduates. There will be a series of exams that begin Sept. 9 in Denver.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/diploma-in-hand-steelers-roethlisberger-tackles-new-playbook-635124/

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-09-2012, 07:02 PM
Wow, the guy wrote a paper on Tibet and thinks that was tough?? Isnt that 9th grade stuff?? I sure hope that an NFL playbook is more in depth than homework for some bird course at college. You can bet that Bill Walsh wasnt teaching Roman History to Joe Montana.

X-Terminator
05-09-2012, 09:30 PM
Wow, the guy wrote a paper on Tibet and thinks that was tough?? Isnt that 9th grade stuff?? I sure hope that an NFL playbook is more in depth than homework for some bird course at college. You can bet that Bill Walsh wasnt teaching Roman History to Joe Montana.

I guess you missed the part where he said "I joke"...

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-10-2012, 12:32 AM
I guess you missed the part where he said "I joke"...

Somebody else here said it......Ben isnt funny. He's been going to the "Rosetta Stone" comment about as often as Jerry Lewis falls down for a cheap laugh and it still isnt working.

I think he's gotta come up with some better material or just suck it up and learn the new offense like a professional instead of trying to make lame jokes in the media of how difficult it is.

Strange that I haven't heard Peyton Manning cracking any jokes about the Broncos playbook.............and that guy is funny!!

X-Terminator
05-10-2012, 03:11 AM
Somebody else here said it......Ben isnt funny. He's been going to the "Rosetta Stone" comment about as often as Jerry Lewis falls down for a cheap laugh and it still isnt working.

I think he's gotta come up with some better material or just suck it up and learn the new offense like a professional instead of trying to make lame jokes in the media of how difficult it is.

Strange that I haven't heard Peyton Manning cracking any jokes about the Broncos playbook.............and that guy is funny!!

Where have you heard or read that he isn't "sucking it up" and learning the playbook? And what, exactly, do you want? Before, he was always aloof and distant with the media and he got criticized for it. Now he's engaging and is being personable with the media...and he's still getting criticized for it. He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. None of it means he's not hitting the books learning the offense, and you and other people need to get the hell off that angle.

ShutDown24
05-10-2012, 03:23 AM
Where have you heard or read that he isn't "sucking it up" and learning the playbook? And what, exactly, do you want? Before, he was always aloof and distant with the media and he got criticized for it. Now he's engaging and is being personable with the media...and he's still getting criticized for it. He's damned if he does and damned if he doesn't. None of it means he's not hitting the books learning the offense, and you and other people need to get the hell off that angle.

I think there are a lot of people who just don't like Ben in general. And no matter what he does, that won't change. I can understand it somewhat. Don't get me wrong, Ben is probably my favorite Steeler of all time, but I can see how he might come off as unlikeable. To me, he has never seemed very comfortable being himself around the media. He seems to be perceived as a frat boy by some fans and a family man by others, when in reality I think his real personality lies somewhere in between. But regardless of what he is really like, he does tend to rub some people the wrong way. And I don't think that will ever change, to my dismay.

suitanim
05-10-2012, 05:50 AM
Shocking! Learning a new system is complicated and takes time! In other news, the sun rose in the east today, and will set in the west tonight.

Manning said the same things in a different way, although the questions are a bit different for him
http://www.denverpost.com/recommended/ci_20408665

http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/seahawks/2017996916_nfl17.html

http://www.denverpost.com/broncos/ci_20411824/peyton-manning-making-himself-feel-at-home-denver

fansince'76
05-10-2012, 08:46 AM
I think there are a lot of people who just don't like Ben in general. And no matter what he does, that won't change. I can understand it somewhat. Don't get me wrong, Ben is probably my favorite Steeler of all time, but I can see how he might come off as unlikeable. To me, he has never seemed very comfortable being himself around the media. He seems to be perceived as a frat boy by some fans and a family man by others, when in reality I think his real personality lies somewhere in between. But regardless of what he is really like, he does tend to rub some people the wrong way. And I don't think that will ever change, to my dismay.

That's funny, because I strongly suspect it will be the same crowd who will, about 15-20 years down the road, cluelessly and indignantly ask "What's HIS problem?" if Ben winds up flipping this fanbase the bird in retirement, à la Bradshaw.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-10-2012, 05:24 PM

I've never thought he was aloof with the media. I thought he was the best QB in the draft in his draft year and got my kid a #7 jersey right after he was drafted. Anybody that thinks I am a Ben hater is completely wrong.

I just think its a mix of sour grapes that he has to learn a new system and a poor attempt at humour with the repeated "Rosetta Stone" comments. I wish he would just take the high road, study the new system and stop comparing an NFL playbook to a bird course on the history of Tibet.