PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Meeting with LB Brandon Johnson

LLT
05-09-2012, 11:27 AM
The Redzone
5/9/2012 10:32:06 AM

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports the Steelers are visiting with former Bengals LB Brandon Johnson and are hosting a visit with veteran NFL kicker Dave Rayner, who would challenge Shaun Suisham.

http://theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/26136/Steelers-visiting-with-Brandon-Johnson--Dave-Rayner/Default.aspx

86WARD
05-09-2012, 11:34 AM
Like!

7willBheaven
05-09-2012, 11:34 AM
Also supposedly LB Matt Roth is going to visit.

suitanim
05-09-2012, 11:37 AM
We do still need depth.

LLT
05-09-2012, 11:40 AM
Also supposedly LB Matt Roth is going to visit.

I heard the same thing...Free agent OLB Matt Roth is visiting the Steelers sometime today....gotta wonder if at 6'4 275 lbs...that we arent looking at him adding 15 lbs and using him as a DE.

XxKnightxX
05-09-2012, 11:59 AM
I heard the same thing...Free agent OLB Matt Roth is visiting the Steelers sometime today....gotta wonder if at 6'4 275 lbs...that we arent looking at him adding 15 lbs and using him as a DE.

Roth is a solid guy, I like the sound of both Johnson and Roth going there.

Devilsdancefloor
05-09-2012, 12:40 PM
did we have the hazmat wash up for both? :lol: roth might get to meet manny with out him knocking him on his ass! Anyway they are both solid Lbers and nice for depth

steelerdude15
05-09-2012, 12:43 PM
I'm all up for the LB's, but not the kicker. He's been a journey man and hasn't stayed on a team longer than one year. That should tell you something.

ShutDown24
05-09-2012, 12:50 PM
I've always heard Roth is a different kind of cat. Supposedly it's the reason why he's never stuck anywhere despite his talents. I dont like it. Nothing really more to say than I don't see him as a fit.

Of the three I would most want Johnson. He could fill in anywhere amongst the linebackers in a pinch. Inside, outside... And he is a special teams demon. I believe he has been a captain for the Bengals in the past? I think he would be a great signing.

7willBheaven
05-09-2012, 01:10 PM

He could be a "tweener" guy. Even at that weight he could fill in at DE if/when needed...who knows though. It seems like they are looking at LB depth more than anything...but my question would be if they sign a FA LBer...do they keep an extra LB or does someone like Carter get cut?

Chidi29
05-09-2012, 01:15 PM

From what I've read/seen of him with Miami and Cleveland, he'd probably be used as a rush linebacker.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-09-2012, 01:49 PM
Why Brandon Johnson when we have Sly Sylvester on the squad?? I thought he was the heir to Farrior??

7willBheaven
05-09-2012, 02:09 PM
Why Brandon Johnson when we have Sly Sylvester on the squad?? I thought he was the heir to Farrior??

Johnson can play any of the LB positions...so it doesnt mean he's going to come in and take Sly/Farrior's spot.

LLT
05-09-2012, 03:45 PM
From what I've read/seen of him with Miami and Cleveland, he'd probably be used as a rush linebacker.

Odds are in favor of him playing OLB...In fact I would be willing to bet that is what we are looking at.

But his best years in college and the pros seems to be with him playing DE. He still fits into the mold of an athletic 3-4 DE (if he padded his frame). As a OLB he seems sluggish at times and an obvious liability in coverage.

LLT
05-09-2012, 03:47 PM
Johnson can play any of the LB positions...so it doesnt mean he's going to come in and take Sly/Farrior's spot.

Can anyone say Keyaron Fox?

suitanim
05-09-2012, 03:50 PM
The more LBers competing in camp the better.

Psycho Ward 86
05-09-2012, 05:10 PM
Dave Rayner....yeahhhh doesnt make me feel any better about the kicker situation

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-09-2012, 06:55 PM
Can anyone say Keyaron Fox?
I thought he was now wearing #55 for the Steelers. Could use a starter in waiting rather than more versatile backups.

Unless I think we are gonna "defend every drop of gatorade" on the bench

X-Terminator
05-09-2012, 09:28 PM
Come on, there have to be better FA kickers out there than Dave Rayner for crying out loud!

Nadroj 20
05-10-2012, 09:21 AM
Yeah for real, bring in some rookie. There has to be other options out there.

7willBheaven
05-10-2012, 11:33 AM
Yeah for real, bring in some rookie. There has to be other options out there.

If you're talking Kickers...they didnt bring in one UDFA since all the good ones got drafted...there were a few others out there besides the one they brought in but not sure if they have signed anywhere or not.

SteelGhost
05-11-2012, 08:42 PM

Depth :noidea:

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-11-2012, 09:18 PM
Depth :noidea:

I'm just baffled.......the experts on this site have already anointed Spence as "the next Ray Lewis", then Sylvester as the next starter at ILB. Put that with Timmons, the veteran presence in Larry Foote and everybodys favorite last minute cut of Morty Ivy and it appears we have TONS of depth.:sarcasm2:

SteelGhost
05-11-2012, 09:34 PM
I'm just baffled.......the experts on this site have already anointed Spence as "the next Ray Lewis", then Sylvester as the next starter at ILB. Put that with Timmons, the veteran presence in Larry Foote and everybodys favorite last minute cut of Morty Ivy and it appears we have TONS of depth.:sarcasm2:

Maybe the presence of Foote is "too veteran" :lol:

GBMelBlount
05-11-2012, 09:45 PM

Do you have a problem with the optimism on Spence?

I am excited about his potential.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-11-2012, 10:23 PM
Do you have a problem with the optimism on Spence?

I am excited about his potential.
No problem with the "optimism" on Spence at all. I have a problem with the dillusion that he "may be the next Ray Lewis".

I think Spence will be a solid player and should be a starter for the Steelers at some point. IMO, he is more pro ready now than Mychal Kendricks is... I just think we have a few guys in Timmons and Spence that should be playing weakside and nobody that is a good fit for the Buck LB position. I think Johnson would be that guy more than anybody currently on the roster.

suitanim
05-12-2012, 07:34 AM
Obviously the Steelers feel that way too, hence, bringing others in...

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-12-2012, 11:10 AM
Obviously the Steelers feel that way too, hence, bringing others in...
Agreed.

Could it be that the Steelers dont have the blind optimism that Sylvester is the next great Steeler ILB, or Spence is the "next Ray Lewis"? Shocking..........:sarcasm:

ShutDown24
05-12-2012, 11:24 AM
Agreed.

Could it be that the Steelers dont have the blind optimism that Sylvester is the next great Steeler ILB, or Spence is the "next Ray Lewis"? Shocking..........:sarcasm:

Who said Spence is the next Ray Lewis? You keep touting that as a point and my curiosity can't take it anymore.

LLT
05-12-2012, 11:35 AM
I thought he was now wearing #55 for the Steelers. Could use a starter in waiting rather than more versatile backups.

Unless I think we are gonna "defend every drop of gatorade" on the bench

Keyaron Fox was a very versatile LBer who could have started for a lot of teams. He was fairly demonized for stupid penalties at critical times....but his total body of work was impressive and his ability to step in and start at a high level was invaluable. If Johnson had Fox-like ability....He would possibly start for this team when the season started.

HollywoodSteel
05-12-2012, 11:57 AM
The loss of Farrior was the loss of our smartest defensive player. It seems like the Steelers are feeling this with the drafting of a really smart player like Spence. From what I hear Johnson sounds like a leader but did he wear the green dot for the Bengals? Who is going to be the guy who reads the offense and moves our guys around?

I certainly would never compare Spence to Ray Lewis but maybe what Suitanim is talking about is that some people feel that eventually Spence could fulfill that leadership role. No way will he ever come close to Lewis's abilities though.