PDA

View Full Version : LaMarr Woodley expected to remain with Pittsburgh Steelers, despite contract impasse

LLT
07-14-2010, 03:15 AM
LaMarr Woodley expected to remain with Pittsburgh Steelers, despite contract impasse
7/13/2010 8:06:01 PM | More
TheRedzone.org

According to the Saginaw News, LaMarr Woodley is in the final year of his contract with the Pittsburgh Steelers and, according to ESPN, the Steelers will not give Woodley a contract extension prior to the 2010 season.

But that doesn't mean the Steelers won't sign Woodley to a new contract. Once the new collective bargaining agreement is in place, the Steelers are expected to sign Woodley to a multi-year contract.

Steelersdepot.com: Woodley and his agent, Doug Hendrickson of Octagon Football, know how the Steelers work and even Woodley himself has said he will not pout or hold out this year. I have a feeling he has a wink and or a hand shake that he will get his. The Steelers will also likely have some sort of franchise tag they can use as well in a new CBA when the new fiscal year starts.

http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescription/tabid/61/EntryId/8185/LaMarr-Woodley-expected-to-remain-with-Pittsburgh-Steelers--despite-contract-impasse/Default.aspx

Austin87
07-14-2010, 03:53 AM
Hopefully we will lock him up long term and not tag him. He deserves a big contract.

Galax Steeler
07-14-2010, 03:54 AM
I hope he stays we just can't afford to loose this guy. Sounds like he know how the Steelers operate and is going to be patient for his contract.

Butch
07-14-2010, 04:05 AM
Being that he was a Steeler fan even before we drafted him I would imagine he does know how the front office and the rooney's operate. I really can't imagine us losing him especially this early in his career.

solardave
07-14-2010, 04:41 AM
He's not only a great player, I think he really understands the business end and that's why this doesn't bother him. I also think after this year he will be signed longterm.

HometownGal
07-14-2010, 06:08 AM
Kudos to LaMarr for his patience. I have no doubt the Steelers will sign him to a nice long term deal and he'll be a Steeler for many years to come. :pray:

Canadian Steeler Nation
07-14-2010, 07:18 AM
Lock him up til he's 40 and give him whatever he wants. That kid is the truth

tony hipchest
07-14-2010, 09:21 AM
yesterday on Total Access, jason lacanfora reported that the steelers have every intention of keeping woodley. a deal will probably be in the t. suggs range and cost $40 mil guaranteed, which the steelers are more than ready to pay.

BPS3akaWirels3
07-14-2010, 09:44 AM
Lock him up til he's 40 and give him whatever he wants. That kid is the truth

I'm glad there is one smart canuck out there.. Luv ya for those smart words..

BigNastyDefense
07-14-2010, 10:46 AM
I am pretty sure Woodley knows the hurdles to a new contract at the moment. He's not going to go off and stage a holdout or something like that. He respects the game and knows he is still under contract and has to perform to earn a new one.

Woodley will be a Steeler for a long time. The Steelers know what a talent they have in him and that losing him would be a big hurt to the defense.

Yes, we drafted two OLB prospects. One will end up replacing Silverback when that time comes and the other will probably be a top backup. I don't think we drafted either of them to replace a departed LaMarr Woodley.

steelpride12
07-14-2010, 01:53 PM
The Steelers are going to play out this season and let's hope sign him to a long term deal and all the worries will be over. Wood is too valuable and young to be let go!

ChosenOne
07-14-2010, 07:07 PM
Glad to hear. It was very hard to fathom him not being in black & gold anymore.

BuddhaBus
07-14-2010, 07:36 PM
Woodley seems like a high character guy. He will not be a cancer or problem for the team and fully understands his contract situation and that the organization's hands are tied at the moment. I'm absolutely certain the Steelers want to keep him around (they'd be :crazy: not to) and have the utmost confidence that a new deal will be hammered out as soon as realistically possible.

kmsteelerwr15
07-15-2010, 12:43 AM
I am glad to hear it. Woodley has a great head on his shoulders and seems to be set on staying int Pittsburgh. Hopefully this CBA gets done and we can lock him up for the long haul.

SMR
07-17-2010, 05:17 PM
Boy, you really have to hand it to the Rooneys- they sure know how to draft players.

86WARD
07-18-2010, 12:23 PM
Of course. He's not going anywhere. If they sign Harrison long-term (an aging LB) and let Woodley go, that would be tragic. They'll sign Woodley long-term and pay him rightfully. He's their #1 priority...no doubt. I said it draft day...love to see Harrison eventually go to the middle with Timmons and have Worilds or Gibson on the outside with Woodley...bad ass!!

HughC
07-19-2010, 12:45 PM
What's happening with him is not unusual. Teams that have won consistently over the last several years have done it in large part by managing their cap effectively. Those same teams are waiting for the new CBA to be reached so they know what the new salary cap will be before committing to larger contracts. Once that is in place you'll quickly see players like Woodley signed to new longterm deals.

Psycho Ward 86
07-19-2010, 12:54 PM
Of course. He's not going anywhere. If they sign Harrison long-term (an aging LB) and let Woodley go, that would be tragic. They'll sign Woodley long-term and pay him rightfully. He's their #1 priority...no doubt. I said it draft day...love to see Harrison eventually go to the middle with Timmons and have Worilds or Gibson on the outside with Woodley...bad ass!!

uh that would be weird lol. By the way, check your inbox!

Craic
07-19-2010, 04:23 PM
This makes a heck of a lot of sense. You really don't want to sign someone long term right now, without knowing the rules for salaries in the future. I have to wonder if the FO, woodley, and his agent didn't simply sit down and talk about all the what if's of signing now, and come to a mutual agreement to wait. In that case, a handshake is exactly what I would expect.

After all, Woodley could sign a deal, and then realize next year that there is twice the cap room that they thought they would have.. and Woodley missed out. OR, the could sign the deal, and then bonuses, caps, etc. be adjusted to the point that Woodley's deal becomes way to restrictive for the Steelers in the future.

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more a wink, a nod, a handshake and "See ya next year after this CBA mess is over" makes all the sense in the world.