PDA

View Full Version : Pouncey, Gilbert welcome young linemen

Count Steeler
05-08-2012, 07:00 AM
Center Maurkice Pouncey kept a close eye on the recent NFL Draft, checking in on who his new Steelers teammates would be. When he learned the first two picks, and three overall in the draft, were going to be joining him in the offensive line room he couldn’t help but be thrilled.

“It’s definitely exciting,” said Pouncey. “The draft picks we got are really, really good picks. Hopefully they get in here ready to work. I know all of the guys will be excited about it and I know the coaches will be too.”

read more @ http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Pouncey-Gilbert-welcome-young-linemen/b43fb425-345a-49b3-b451-12f6ec09ef72

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-08-2012, 10:26 AM
Now that is fantastic!! If Pouncey and Gilbert can be leaders on the O line and help the guys get used to the NFL, then progression could be great.

I have no concern with DeCastro, but with 2nd year guys like Gilbert and Cam Heyward(former Adams teammate) to help Adams along, I think the 4 young guys can start forming a great O line very soon. Add Colon, Foster and experienced backups like Legursky, Essex, Scott to the mix and I really like how things are going.

BigNastyDefense
05-08-2012, 07:44 PM
I am glad that Gilbert is going to try to be more of a leader and help the rookies along. I was a bit worried that he'd be a bit upset over the Mike Adams pick because Adams might challenge for the LT position and move Gilbert back to RT. While Gilbert would still be a starter and an important piece, he wouldn't be at the big money position on the line.

I think the offensive line is going to be one of the best we've seen since 2004 with the additions of DeCastro (who should start right away) and Adams (who could move into the starting lineup at some point during the season).

86WARD
05-08-2012, 07:53 PM
This line has the potential to be ridiculous in the near future...

polamalubeast
05-08-2012, 08:03 PM
I hope they stay healthy!:pray:

GBMelBlount
05-08-2012, 08:39 PM
Now that is fantastic!! If Pouncey and Gilbert can be leaders on the O line and help the guys get used to the NFL, then progression could be great.

I have no concern with DeCastro, but with 2nd year guys like Gilbert and Cam Heyward(former Adams teammate) to help Adams along, I think the 4 young guys can start forming a great O line very soon. Add Colon, Foster and experienced backups like Legursky, Essex, Scott to the mix and I really like how things are going.

It IS fantastic.

These guys are young, talented, hungry and kindred spirits....

hoping they will gel quickly...

tube517
05-08-2012, 08:43 PM
Good to hear.

I bet DeCastro is catching flak for his conversation with Ben on the phone.

ShutDown24
05-09-2012, 01:27 AM
I think this is obviously great.

Something I've been thinking about is whether or not DeCastro should go to left guard. At first I wasn't thinking it was a big deal which guard position he played. It appears that the team is going to keep him on the right side, but having Gilbert, DeCastro and Pouncey lined up simultaneously would provide for excellent runs off the left side of the line. Although, I guess you could say the same for Pouncey, DeCastro, Colon too.

Count Steeler
05-09-2012, 05:18 AM
I think this is obviously great.

Something I've been thinking about is whether or not DeCastro should go to left guard. At first I wasn't thinking it was a big deal which guard position he played. It appears that the team is going to keep him on the right side, but having Gilbert, DeCastro and Pouncey lined up simultaneously would provide for excellent runs off the left side of the line. Although, I guess you could say the same for Pouncey, DeCastro, Colon too.

What a change, eh? Now these are the kind of problems we need to have. Sure hope they gel together and become one of the best O Lines in the league.

ShutDown24
05-09-2012, 05:44 AM
What a change, eh? Now these are the kind of problems we need to have. Sure hope they gel together and become one of the best O Lines in the league.

Definitely.

I still do have some reservations. Because the Steelers have invested a lot in the offensive line over the least few years and the players just haven't panned out. It's a misnomer that the team has "ignored" the line, they have just made poor decisions. So if we're going on track record... :noidea: With that said, I wouldn't be shocked if Adams is a bust, Pouncey has season ending injuries each of the next three years and Gilbert gains 90 pounds in then next two months :chuckle:

But all quasi-joking concerns aside, the line definitely has improved a great deal over not such a great amount of time. Which is very exciting.

polamalubeast
05-09-2012, 03:36 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4dAm1Tsyio