PDA

View Full Version : Frozen Four coming to Pittsburgh in 2013

X-Terminator
07-13-2010, 07:58 PM
The NCAA Division I Men's Ice Hockey Committee has chosen the city of Pittsburgh as the site of the 2013 NCAA Frozen Four.

Robert Morris University, in conjunction with VisitPittsburgh and the Pittsburgh Penguins of the National Hockey League (NHL), will serve as host of the event at the CONSOL Energy Center, the new home of the Penguins set to open this fall.

"We're obviously extremely pleased to be hosting the NCAA Men's Ice Hockey Division I Frozen Four in 2013," RMU Director of Athletics Craig Coleman, M.D., said. "We have a very strong partnership with the CONSOL Energy Center and VisitPittsburgh, and I believe the NCAA recognized the strength of that partnership in considering our bid. We plan on putting on the best Frozen Four ever."

The 2013 NCAA Men's Frozen Four at the CONSOL Energy Center will take place April 11 and 13, 2013, and will be the first NCAA Division I Men's Ice Hockey Championship event held in the state of Pennsylvania. In addition, it will be the first major team sport in NCAA history to conduct its national championship in the city of Pittsburgh.

"We are absolutely thrilled to have been chosen to host the 2013 Frozen Four at the CONSOL Energy Center," RMU head men's ice hockey coach Derek Schooley said. "The Frozen Four will be a major showcase for the city of Pittsburgh as well as our emerging hockey program. This is one of the NCAA's premier events, and Robert Morris and the city of Pittsburgh will be an excellent host."

"The number of quality bids submitted made the process of choosing the host sites extremely difficult for the committee," said Bill Bellerose, chair of the Division I Men's Ice Hockey Committee and associate athletic director at College of the Holy Cross. "We are extremely pleased with every aspect of both winning bids - from the venue, to the community support to the cities themselves, everything will be first class. We are confident both sites will put forth the ultimate championship experience for the student-athletes and fans alike."

The NCAA Frozen Four has sold out every year since 1993, and over 72,000 attended the event at Ford Field in Detroit, Mich., last April. In the 2010 NCAA championship game between Wisconsin and eventual national champion Boston College, an indoor ice hockey record of 37,592 attended the contest.

"The Pittsburgh Penguins are excited to welcome the nation's premier college hockey event, the NCAA Frozen Four, to CONSOL Energy Center in 2013," said David Morehouse, president of the Penguins. "It's another example of the type of event this new arena can attract to our city and our region. We look forward to working with Robert Morris University and VisitPittsburgh to make this an exceptional experience for college hockey fans and add another chapter to Pittsburgh's rich sports tradition."

"The CONSOL Energy Center team is thrilled to host this wonderful event and is looking forward to showcasing our incredible hockey facility," said Jay Roberts, CONSOL Energy Center General Manager.

"We are thrilled to learn that the city will host the 2013 NCAA Division I Men's Ice Hockey Frozen Four," said Joseph R. McGrath, President & CEO of VisitPittsburgh. "What a great opportunity to showcase the new CONSOL Energy Center and the city of Pittsburgh. This exciting event will bring over 17,000 players and spectators and an estimated economic impact of over $10 million dollars to Pittsburgh. Our stellar facilities and our attractive amenities will help create a wonderful experience for the student-athletes, their familes and the fans. Pittsburgh, home to the Pittsburgh Penguins and the 2011 Winter Classic, is truly a great hockey town!"

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=534321 (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_690231.html?source=rss&feed=8)

steelerdude15
07-13-2010, 09:34 PM
Wow that's really cool to see. Plus it's going to be in the new arena.

SteelCityMan786
07-13-2010, 10:27 PM
Might as well get as much use out of it as possible. Nice to know it's coming.

SteelMember
07-14-2010, 07:18 AM
The new arena is paying dividends already... Mario's no dummy.

steelpride12
07-14-2010, 08:11 AM
Great to see all these huge events coming to Pittsburgh and the new Arena pretty cool news!