PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger wins his 'Super Bowl in life'

stillers4me
05-06-2012, 11:55 AM
Graduation day, for a 30-year-old NFL quarterback …Here's a picture you don't see every commencement. The new graduate, smiling with family, holds up his diploma in his right hand. On the same hand — the championship ring from Super Bowl XLIII.

Now on the stage, receiving his certificate, Benjamin T. Roethlisberger.

"How could I tell my children one day how important an education is, if I didn't have one?" Roethlisberger explained. "This is pretty special to me. I'm proud to not just say I'm an alum. Now I'm a graduate."................................

..........Roethlisberger's autumns have been kind of busy. And something always seemed to prevent him from enrolling in time for the winter term. AFC Championship Games, for instance.

But the Steelers were quick outs against Denver the past season — consult any Tim Tebow fan for details — and the morning after the defeat, his Miami academic advisor sent him an email. Roethlisberger figured it was a note of condolence. Instead, it was a call to class.

Roethlisberger was in the red zone for his diploma. Time to get it done.

"He responded in less than 20 minutes," said Melissa Chase, associate dean. "He never asked for a shortcut. It was always, 'What do I need to do?' He did everything we asked of him...........

Read more @ http://www.floridatoday.com/usatoday/article/54786740?odyssey=mod%7Cnewswell%7Ctext%7CSports%7C p

stillers4me
05-06-2012, 11:59 AM
Is anybody else getting the feeling (especially in light of his newly aquired teammates, his speedy weapons and a brand spanking new offensive plan combined with a new mature outlook) that Ben's second half of his career is likely going to outshine the first half?

GOOSIES!!!!!!

Mamaduck43
05-06-2012, 12:13 PM
This story made me cry happy tears..... As I watched the festivities of the Draft last week, I was borderline disgusted with the entourages that the favored golden boys had around them - - hanging on every word out of their mouths.... The promises of big money - fast cars and loose women running through their minds... And I wondered about priorities.... I am heartened by this news, and the off-season activities of some of our Steeler players - - Charlie Batch at each and every charity event that he can fit into his schedule... Baron Batch (still an unknown entity) filling his blog pages with his new recuperation hobby - painting...... And other players who are involved in growth type things - - working out and enjoying family.....

I am excited and happy for Ben's accomplishment.... This is yet another sign that he is developing a maturity that he was lacking and I, too, hope that this will bide well for both the team and for himself....
Congratulation, Ben....

stillers4me
05-06-2012, 12:23 PM
"Ben needed four courses to graduate when he left Miami following the Fall semester of 2003," said Chase. "Over the past seven years he has completed two courses as independent studies. One course was on Curriculum and Assessment in Physical Education and the other was a special topics research experience on Talent Development in Youth Sports. He completed these two courses with me. His third course was the senior capstone, Critical Reflection on Practices in Health and Physical Culture. The fourth course was part of a thematic sequence in anthropology. Ben completed this last course this spring semester."
"I admire Ben's persistence and desire to graduate," Chase continued. "He worked hard when he attended Miami and after he left to earn his degree. I'm confident that all he's gained from being a student at Miami University will serve him well in the future. I'm just so happy for Ben and his family."
Miami University President David Hodge is proud to count Ben Roethlisberger (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/roethlisberger_ben00.html) among one of the 202-year-old University's more than 200,000 alumni."Ben is well known for his athletic accomplishments, but what is significant today is that he comes from a long line of student-athletes at Miami who have excelled both on the field and in the classroom," said David Hodge, Miami's president. "Eighty-nine percent of student-athletes who enroll at Miami University earn their degrees. Like them, Ben is very proud to be a Miami graduate, and we are delighted to count Ben among our alumni."

http://www.muredhawks.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/050612aab.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed

Count Steeler
05-06-2012, 02:30 PM
Is anybody else getting the feeling (especially in light of his newly aquired teammates, his speedy weapons and a brand spanking new offensive plan combined with a new mature outlook) that Ben's second half of his career is likely going to outshine the first half?

GOOSIES!!!!!!

The prospects of an offensive line that is not offensive has me thrilled. Really looking forward to this year.