PDA

View Full Version : AFC North holes to fill: Run-game issues for Steelers, Bengals

polamalubeast
05-05-2012, 01:40 PM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d828d12c1/article/afc-north-holes-to-fill-rungame-issues-for-steelers-bengals?module=HP11_hot_topics

Steeldude
05-05-2012, 03:23 PM
Losing Mendenhall is not a big deal

Psycho Ward 86
05-05-2012, 04:28 PM
Losing Mendenhall is not a big deal

i think he's a valuable asset and would tend to agree if not for the inexperienced RB depth. Is it just me or did it seem like Mendenhall magically gained recognition that he never had (and kind of didnt deserve...yet) only AFTER he got injured? Just thought it was funny

Nadroj 20
05-05-2012, 04:36 PM
I''ve never hated Mendy but have had issues with him. Just not a fan of the way he runs. I felt he was already too timid and now after an ACL tear? I see the timidness continuing or increasing.

GBMelBlount
05-05-2012, 08:54 PM
With Adams and Decastro I think our running game just got better...

suitanim
05-06-2012, 06:44 AM
I'll never understand why people hate Mendy. It's hilarious to me, because other players and and other fans respect him WAY more than Steelers fans do...

More petulant spoiledness I suppose...

Nadroj 20
05-06-2012, 10:47 AM
I'll never understand why people hate Mendy. It's hilarious to me, because other players and and other fans respect him WAY more than Steelers fans do...

From my stand point I see his every carry, every game of the year and can form my opinion a little better then non-Steeler fans.

polamalubeast
05-06-2012, 10:56 AM
the steelers fans did not like Willie Parker too

We have to understand that it is hard to be as good as Franco Harris or Jerome Bettis!

HollywoodSteel
05-06-2012, 11:24 AM
I don't love Mendy's timid style of tiptoeing behind the line waiting for a hole to magically open and show him daylight. That said, he is the back on the roster that can most benefit from our new line strength. When those holes do start to magically open, he has the acceleration to exploit it. That is, if he comes back from the injury 100%.

The Duke
05-06-2012, 12:11 PM
DeCastro, Gilbert and a healthy Pouncey should make Mendenhall much better, provided he comes back healthy

he's pretty young so I have no doubt he will

BigNastyDefense
05-06-2012, 12:35 PM
I am by far not a Mendy hater, but he did frustrate me at times by going down to arm tackles in the backfield and not taking what was there due to tap dancing in the backfield.

I think we will be fine at RB as long as Redman stays healthy. He's a starting quality back who has more speed than people realize. He takes what's there by hitting the hole hard and that often gets him more yards than expected. He doesn't go down to arm tackles, he runs through them. Running behind a guy like DeCastro will do him a lot of good.

Mendy was a pretty good back. Just the other year, he had more than 1200 yards and 13 touchdowns. I think he'd be much improved behind what should be a much improved offensive line with DeCastro definitely starting at OG from day one and Mike Adams either winning the starting job in camp or getting it due to injury/poor play at some time in the season.

However, coming back from this injury could cause him to be even more cautious and that's my biggest fear with his injury. He has already shown to be one to shy away from contact and go down at the lightest arm tackle. Mentally coming back from this will be the hardest part for Mendenhall.

GoSlash27
05-06-2012, 12:48 PM

Probably because they don't. More projection on your part, I suppose.

ShutDown24
05-06-2012, 01:15 PM
I'll never understand why people hate Mendy. It's hilarious to me, because other players and and other fans respect him WAY more than Steelers fans do

I hate to diss the fanbase, but a lot of Steelers fans don't understand the runningback position. They would rather see Isaac Redman run over a defender for three yards than have Mendenhall or Parker dance for six.

Nadroj 20
05-06-2012, 01:56 PM
I hate to diss the fanbase, but a lot of Steelers fans don't understand the runningback position. They would rather see Isaac Redman run over a defender for three yards than have Mendenhall or Parker dance for six.

A POTENTIAL six...

It's a high risk/high reward running style. Mendy could very easily lose 6 yards dancing around as well which has happened. Obviously dancing around COULD create a big run but at times they seem few and far between.

Mendenhall is a good back, I've never said otherwise. However I'm a fan of consistency and I would much rather see a guy hit the hole hard and make necessary cuts and jukes instead of tip toeing/dancing around in the backfield hoping something opens up. YOU make something open up, don't wait for it to happen. Move North and South not East and West. Actually let me correct that, run FORWARD :chuckle:

What I don't understand is why people think I or other fans who feel this way about Mendenhall's style automatically think we do not see him as a good back. He is a good back. But he could be better and I see that he could be better which also adds to the issues I have with him. Hopefully he can come back from this injury and still be a valuable contributer to this team. Having a better O-line will help that.

Steeldude
05-06-2012, 03:08 PM

Because, like you, they watch and/or remember highlights. They don't see each carry and they choose to forget the timid running and happy feet. I will never understand why Steelers' fans think Mendenhall is anything special. He hasn't done much more than any other average RB in the NFL.

Count Steeler
05-06-2012, 03:17 PM
Mendy always reacts positively after a benching. He needs to be in the game, all the time.

GoSlash27
05-06-2012, 06:32 PM
I think Steelers fans understand the RB position as well as any other fan base. Unfortunately, not all of us understand that moving the chains consistently forward in small chunks is what sustains drives, wears out defenses, creates ToP imbalance, and makes the difference between touchdowns and field goals.

GBMelBlount
05-06-2012, 06:38 PM

I don't think that is a good example. It implies that Mendenhall averages a lot more YPC than Redman. He doesn't.

...and while admittedly Mendy may have more natural talent I actually prefer Redman's running style, attitude, work ethic and consistency.

Sorry to pile on. :chuckle:

steeldawg
05-06-2012, 06:42 PM
I love menenhall this guy put up very good numbers in a passing offense. hes a consistent 1000yd rusher who averages 4.1 a carry whats wrong with that? I like redman but he really hasnt done enough for me to say hes ready to replace mendenhall.

Count Steeler
05-06-2012, 06:44 PM
Hopefully with our beefed up O Line, even I would be able to avg 4 ypc.

polamalubeast
05-06-2012, 08:53 PM
it is difficult to fill the shoes of Jerome Bettis!

steelreserve
05-06-2012, 11:27 PM
Assuming they stay healthy, the line alone is going to make whoever we have as our starting RB a 1,000+ yard rusher.

And despite what some people think of him, I like Mendenhall a lot. He just took a big step backward last year and needs to get over whatever that was, but I think he can do it. Though if last year becomes the norm, fuck 'im.

steeldawg
05-07-2012, 05:28 AM
Assuming they stay healthy, the line alone is going to make whoever we have as our starting RB a 1,000+ yard rusher.

And despite what some people think of him, I like Mendenhall a lot. He just took a big step backward last year and needs to get over whatever that was, but I think he can do it. Though if last year becomes the norm, fuck 'im.

Big step backwards? I must of missed it? 928 yds in 15 games 4.1 per carry 9 tds, I think thats pretty good considering the type of offense we were running.