PDA

View Full Version : Steelers notebook: Former Woodland Hills grad adjusts to his new position

stillers4me
05-05-2012, 07:53 AM
When Wes Lyons weighed in at 255 pounds after the Steelers re-signed him in January, that was all Mike Tomlin needed to see.

The Steelers moved the 6-foot-9 Woodland Hills graduate from receiver to tight end — a position he never played in high school or college at West Virginia.

“Whatever they want me to do, I am willing,” Lyons said following the first day of rookie minicamp Friday, where players who have never been on an NFL roster are allowed to participate.

Lyons, who said he is now 260 pounds, spent training camp last year with the Steelers and played sparingly during the preseason before being cut.

Now he could provide a unique weapon for the Steelers if he can improve his blocking...........

read more @ http://triblive.com/sports/steelers/1292919-85/steelers-round-lyons-amu-lindsey-answered-david-pick-rookie-signed

stillers4me
05-05-2012, 07:54 AM
Nugget at the end of the article....

Center Maurkice Pouncey said he is 100 percent following offseason surgery to remove bone spurs that made his ankle unstable. …

Count Steeler
05-05-2012, 08:02 AM
I have a good feeling about this year.

SMR
05-05-2012, 11:09 AM
I am just as excited for this year.

lilyoder6
05-05-2012, 11:36 AM
damn.. we got some tall ass tight ends if pope and lyons make the team.. i can see haley loving them two in the redzone area..

7willBheaven
05-05-2012, 12:19 PM
I see Lyons having an even harder time making the team at TE compared to WR. And good stuff about Pouncey.

O'Malley
05-05-2012, 01:21 PM
I really wish he makes the team... I wanted Wes to make the team since I saw his height... One thing lacking is height with the WR core. The video of him blocking in college IMO reminded me of Hines.. He can de-cleat people.. Hope he is a year better and a year more mature. His height alone would be a matchup nightmare for opposing D's..

Austin87
05-07-2012, 06:20 AM
With the TE's we have on the roster I wouldn't be surprised to see Lyons making the team. Should be a good camp battle between Lyons, Pope, Paulson, Johnson and Saunders for the 2 backup TE spots.

The Duke
05-07-2012, 08:53 AM
I see both Lyons and Paulson in the PS unless they really impress over the summer. Go with Johnson and Pope behind Heath and after Saunders' suspension decide what to do, and in case of injury you got nice options in those those practice squadders

Pope and Lyons' height is definitely intriguing, I'll be rooting for the young guy

Psycho Ward 86
05-07-2012, 05:33 PM
i wonder how much stronger he's gotten. He was hella lanky last year.