PDA

View Full Version : Rex Ryan: The 4th Best Coach in all of Professional Sports

polamalubeast
07-13-2010, 06:13 PM
http://boston.barstoolsports.com/random-thoughts/rex-ryan-the-4th-best-coach-in-all-of-professional-sports/

NY Post – All it took was a 9-7 record and wins in two out of three playoff games to put Jets head coach Rex Ryan among sports’ best leaders. ESPN The Magazine this week released its Ultimate Standings, ranking the 122 teams in the four major professional sports in a variety of categories based on feedback from fans. One of them, “Coaching,” is described as “strength of on-field leadership.” Ryan, about to enter his second season with the Jets, was ranked as the fourth best coach, tied with Red Wings coach Mike Babcock, behind Mike Scioscia (Angels), Sean Payton (Saints) and Gregg Popovich (Spurs). All but Ryan have won their respective league championships at least once. He was ranked ahead of the Patriots’ Bill Belichick (sixth) and the Lakers’ Phil Jackson (10th), among others.

4th? Rex Ryan is the 4th best coach in all of professional sports? This is an outrage! It’s barbaric. Barbaric! Everyone knows he’s the best coach in the world, and making him share the lowly 4th spot with some nobody like Mike Babcock is an insult. I mean, how is ESPN measuring “coaching”? By success? Track record? Consistent excellence? Championships? Puh-leeze. Who cares about those? And if you’re going by “strength of on-field leadership” like they say, then he definitely should be No. 1. And by a Secretariatish margin. After all, this is the same Rex Ryan who led the Jets to a 7-7 record before sweeping the Colts and Bengals junior varsity squads to make the playoffs. Then he out coached the incomparable Norv Turner in the playoffs. How can anyone say Shrex isn’t the greatest coach ever to squeeze his melon into a set of headphones?

OK, I’ll stop there before I rupture a sarcasm tendon. All seriousness aside, how is this result even remotely possible? There are only two explanations: 1) The poll numbers were skewed by an organized voting bloc, like “Vote for the Worst” tries to get “American Idol” fans to vote for the Sanjayas of the world or the time Howard Stern listeners voted Hank the Angry Drunken Dwarf the People magazine “Sexiest Man Alive.” Or 2) Jets fans are more numerous and way more delusional than I’d feared.

(Thanks to Peter)

Godfather
07-13-2010, 07:59 PM
I dunno...maybe he should, like, WIN something before we rank him that high?

fansince'76
07-13-2010, 09:10 PM
ESPN The Magazine - 'nuff said.

steelerdude15
07-13-2010, 09:44 PM
What has he done in one season... :noidea:

SirHulka
07-14-2010, 01:40 AM
He's good for TV. By that I mean he makes quotes that make good TV. So in that regard, he's good for ESPN. Sounds like the ultimate case of homerism to me.

HometownGal
07-14-2010, 07:40 AM
Rex is a decent NFL HC but to rank him 4th sportswide after one above-average season? I think someone at ESPN had better put the poof pipe down.

st33lersguy
07-14-2010, 08:32 AM
One 9-7 season makes him 4th best?. He has his team on the right track but it's too early to put him ahead of the likes of Phil Jackson

steeldawg
07-14-2010, 08:40 AM
This is the most ridiculous thing ive ever read and im shocked it did not come from bleacher report.

Akagi
07-14-2010, 08:44 AM
He's a good coach. That ranking is silly, but he's a good coach. Thing is, all you have to do is name 4 who are obviously better, and all other arguments are unimportant.

Avoiding Pittsburgh, just so as to not be accused of homerism,

Phil Jackson
Jim Leyland
Bill Belichick (love him or hate him, indisputably better than Ryan)
Mike Babcock

There. After that, no other argument is possible; Ryan can be no better than the 5th best head coach in (North American) sports.

steeldawg
07-14-2010, 08:54 AM
He's a good coach. That ranking is silly, but he's a good coach. Thing is, all you have to do is name 4 who are obviously better, and all other arguments are unimportant.

Avoiding Pittsburgh, just so as to not be accused of homerism,

Phil Jackson
Jim Leyland
Bill Belichick (love him or hate him, indisputably better than Ryan)
Mike Babcock

There. After that, no other argument is possible; Ryan can be no better than the 5th best head coach in (North American) sports.

You did not do a good job of avoiding pittsburgh by putting leyland on there. but i like it.

vasteeler
07-14-2010, 10:10 AM
i like rayn, i like his attitude, i like the way he is not afraid to say anything. but 4th best coach after 1 year of coaching......come on man!

Akagi
07-14-2010, 10:16 AM
You did not do a good job of avoiding pittsburgh by putting leyland on there. but i like it.

:lol:

I got just up to the line, not over it!

X-Terminator
07-14-2010, 10:23 AM
I wouldn't let a dog shit on BSPN the Magazine. It deserves a better place to do its business. What an absolutely ridiculous article.

SteelMember
07-14-2010, 10:52 AM
I couldn't honestly say he was in the top 5 of the NFL, let alone in all of professional sports.

The Patriot
07-14-2010, 11:28 AM
Right after we deal with your Bengals, we're gonna crash this party boat. :smokin:

Psycho Ward 86
07-14-2010, 02:51 PM
Right after we deal with your Bengals, we're gonna crash this party boat. :smokin:

Please do.

SMR
07-17-2010, 05:52 PM
Wait, wait, wait a dang minute!! Belicheat is ranked high too? All he did was cheat to win. Sure people say he's a genius, but he was a genius at CHEATING which was why it took so long before he got caught.

HughC
07-17-2010, 06:56 PM
Since the rankings are based on fan voting, about the only thing I can gather from the results is that Jet fans are the most delusional fans in all sports.

steel striker
07-19-2010, 06:34 PM
Par for the course when talking about espn or SI.com and, not to mention they get in the playoffs's by the colts resting everyone in that game. I'm sure the NY beat writer's love to cover Rex.

steeldevil
07-19-2010, 07:27 PM
Didnt Rex say that there was no way the Jets would make the playoffs in late November? And now he is a top 5 coach in all of american sports? This may be one of the most rediculus things ever written...

Dino 6 Rings
07-20-2010, 12:53 PM
I love this forum for the comedy it provides!

SMR
07-20-2010, 07:54 PM
I love this forum for the comedy it provides!

Usually it's the Brownies, Bungholes, and the Gayvens providing us comedy at its best. Now its the Jets? :sofunny:

SirHulka
07-21-2010, 01:54 AM
SuperBowl Wins - How many does YOUR team have?
Steelers 6, 49ers 5, Cowboys 5, Redskins 3, Raiders 3, Packers 3, Giants 3, Pats 3, Broncos 2, Dolphins 2, Colts 2, Bears 1, Ravens 1, Jets 1, Bucs 1, Rams 1, Chiefs 1, Saints 1

So why does Green Bay call itself Title Town, with a dozen titles?

kmsteelerwr15
07-21-2010, 02:12 AM
So why does Green Bay call itself Title Town, with a dozen titles?

Because of all the NFL Championships they won pre-Super Bowl era.

Galax Steeler
07-21-2010, 04:35 AM
What has he done in one season... :noidea:

That is my thoughts as well how do you be a head coach for 1 year and become the 4th best, what a waste of a thread.

SirHulka
07-21-2010, 08:33 AM
Because of all the NFL Championships they won pre-Super Bowl era.

So then, all the NFL Championships won pre-Super Bowl era must count.

Dino 6 Rings
07-21-2010, 11:33 AM
So then, all the NFL Championships won pre-Super Bowl era must count.

My signature says "SuperBowl Wins" for a reason.

SMR
07-21-2010, 04:54 PM

That's more like it brother! :clap2:

SirHulka
07-22-2010, 01:35 AM

So you're only counting that part of history that makes you look good. Interesting.

MasterOfPuppets
07-22-2010, 01:46 AM
So you're only counting that part of history that makes you look good. Interesting.

or maybe he's just not counting the years when there was only 12 freakin teams in the league. hell the year they won their first title ,1929, the daytona triangles didn't even play a full schedule. they scored 7 points in the 6 games they played before they folded... the mighty pack destroyed the triangles 9 - 0, on their way to the "championship" ...:rolleyes2:

Galax Steeler
07-22-2010, 04:10 AM
or maybe he's just not counting the years when there was only 12 freakin teams in the league. hell the year they won their first title ,1929, the daytona triangles didn't even play a full schedule. they scored 7 points in the 6 games they played before they folded... the mighty pack destroyed the triangles 9 - 0, on their way to the "championship" ...:rolleyes2:

:yup: well said

SirHulka
07-22-2010, 05:22 AM
Interesting slant. Everyone else, including the league office, counts them.

Maybe we shouldn't count the years when there were less than 16 games, or 32 teams, either. Oh wait, that would cut your titles down to 2, wouldn't it?