PDA

View Full Version : Ed: Baron Batch Not Ready to Practice

LLT
05-04-2012, 12:06 PM
Ed: Barron Batch Not Ready to Practice
Friday, 04 May 2012
Written by Ed Bouchette

Barron Batch will not practice with the rookies and some first-year players over the weekend, even though he is eligible to do so.

Batch isn’t yet ready to practice after having ACL surgery in the middle of August. So, nearly nine months later, he apparently has not been cleared to go.
It’s another reason to believe that Rashard Mendenhall might not play this season. He had surgery in mid-January. If he follows Batch’s schedule, he still won’t be ready to go in mid-October. He’ll open the season on PUP. After six weeks, he can practice for three weeks (or not, if he cannot). After those three weeks, the Steelers would have to decide whether to put him on the 53-man roster, or keep him on PUP for the rest of the season.

Read More: http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/116234-ed-barron-batch-not-ready-to-practice

stillers4me
05-04-2012, 12:40 PM
Baron Batch‏@baron_batch@PaulieSas (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/#!/PaulieSas) the media can keep on speculating. I didn't do mini camp this weekend bc I wasn't required to. Not because I couldn't.

LLT
05-04-2012, 01:05 PM
Just talked to Baron via text...and he says the knee is good.

On a very cool and personal note...My daughter and I are going on a mission trip to Mozambique in 2013, and Baron talks as if he may go with our group. I'd love for him to chronicle the trip with his photography. Still a year away...but my daughter is relatively excited about the trip and the prospect of Baron participating.

stillers4me
05-04-2012, 01:35 PM

On a very cool and personal note...My daughter and I are going on a mission trip to Mozambique in 2013, and Baron talks as if he may go with our group. I'd love for him to chronicle the trip with his photography. Still a year away...but my daughter is relatively excited about the trip and the prospect of Baron participating.

How cool is that!!! He is so very talented with a camera.

Count Steeler
05-04-2012, 03:43 PM
Baron Batch‏@baron_batch@PaulieSas (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/#!/PaulieSas) the media can keep on speculating. I didn't do mini camp this weekend bc I wasn't required to. Not because I couldn't.

Not crazy about that answer. I love Batch and really hope he makes the roster, but "not required to" doesn't show leadership. Not going to make a big deal about it, it is off twitter. I hope there is more to it than this short response.

SteelerFanInStl
05-04-2012, 06:37 PM
Not crazy about that answer. I love Batch and really hope he makes the roster, but "not required to" doesn't show leadership. Not going to make a big deal about it, it is off twitter. I hope there is more to it than this short response.

He's basically a rookie so I'm not sure why the thought of "leadership" would even enter the equation. He's got a surgically repaired knee so he still needs to take it easy. Although it won't help him make the team, he's probably doing the smart thing by not going to mini camp.

Pristas
05-04-2012, 07:07 PM

He was probably a little ticked at the media for suggesting it, and second, he could have been in the middle of a wedding. I wouldn't read much into it. I'm sure he'll be ready to compete soon enough.

And shame on Ed for not doing his due dillegence.

stillers4me
05-04-2012, 07:14 PM
Isn't this weekend's minicamp for the rookies?

He's not a rookie. He's been on IR since the midle of training last year. I'm sure there were plenty of of other veterns that were not there because....there were not required to be.

I've followed Baron on twitter all year and it sounds like he's been working hard and eager to get back. If he had showed up when he didn't necessarily need to and gotten hurt....than what would you all be saying? :noidea:

stillers4me
05-04-2012, 07:16 PM
Mark Kaboly‏@MarkKaboly_TribIn case you care, Baron Batch was not eligible to take part in today's workouts. Last year was considered accrued season.

X-Terminator
05-04-2012, 07:23 PM
Mark Kaboly‏@MarkKaboly_TribIn case you care, Baron Batch was not eligible to take part in today's workouts. Last year was considered accrued season.

And that's that. Ed Bullschitte strikes again!

Polamalu Princess
05-04-2012, 07:48 PM
I really want to see him. I hope and pray that he will be on the team very soon.

Count Steeler
05-04-2012, 08:03 PM
Like I said, I hope there is more to it than this short response, and there is. That is why I am not a huge fan of twitter. How much of a story can you tell with 1 sentence.

7willBheaven
05-04-2012, 08:23 PM
He's basically a rookie so I'm not sure why the thought of "leadership" would even enter the equation. He's got a surgically repaired knee so he still needs to take it easy. Although it won't help him make the team, he's probably doing the smart thing by not going to mini camp.

this

Shoes
05-04-2012, 08:28 PM
And that's that. Ed Bullschitte strikes again!

Yes, I like him and John Harbaugh about the same.

Count Steeler
05-04-2012, 08:30 PM

Leadership is a rare quality that does not solely fall on veterans. I am extremely confident that Batch is a leader. Hence my holding him to a high standard. I respect him immensely and he has not yet played a down. IF, for physical reasons he is unable to play in the NFL, that will not detract from him being a leader in this generation. He has the God given gift to impact lives.

Chidi29
05-04-2012, 08:48 PM
Yeah, not really sure how this story even got brought up. I thought it was pretty obvious that since he's not a rookie, he could not partake in rookie minicamp.

Plus, a lot of it is probably procedrual things for the brand new players that Batch already knows. Not much of a reason to show up.

ShutDown24
05-05-2012, 03:14 AM

Very cool. I hope that possibility becomes a reality for you two. I'm sure that would make what will already be a memorable trip even more special.

Psycho Ward 86
05-05-2012, 01:53 PM

Yeah right. The videos he posted of himself doing drills and making cuts showed otherwise. He looked really slow

Nadroj 20
05-05-2012, 03:00 PM
I know he is not technically a rookie, but in the NBA when Blake Griffen was hurt and missed his entire rookie season the next year was considered his "rookie" season.

So it must be different in the NFL or I'm totally missing something else altogether.

GBMelBlount
05-05-2012, 07:53 PM

Wow. That is amazing Perry. Please let him know he is in our thoughts and prayers. Baron is a good man who has had his share of adversity but we are certainly pulling for him.

X-Terminator
05-05-2012, 11:03 PM
Yeah right. The videos he posted of himself doing drills and making cuts showed otherwise. He looked really slow

Really has nothing to do with not being required to attend rookie camp, but if he is able to do drills/cuts, then it means he's ready to take the next step and get out on the field for light workouts combined with continued rehab. We'll see for sure if he participates in OTAs and mini-camp.

I know he is not technically a rookie, but in the NBA when Blake Griffen was hurt and missed his entire rookie season the next year was considered his "rookie" season.

So it must be different in the NFL or I'm totally missing something else altogether.

Obviously different rules in the NFL. Mark Kaboly of the Trib explained it in his tweet posted earlier.

Austin87
05-07-2012, 06:36 AM

Mozambique is a very beautiful country. Me and my family usually go on holiday there every two years or so. Its just sad to see the people of Mozambique struggling to survive all the while their government is rife with corruption.

LLT
05-07-2012, 08:30 AM
Mozambique is a very beautiful country. Me and my family usually go on holiday there every two years or so. Its just sad to see the people of Mozambique struggling to survive all the while their government is rife with corruption.

Thanks brother...really looking forward to it.