PDA

View Full Version : Steelers: One big question

LLT
05-04-2012, 11:59 AM
Steelers: One big question
May, 4, 2012
By Jamison Hensley
ESPN.com

Do the Pittsburgh Steelers still have the best defense in the NFL?

That depends on three factors: the health of nose tackle Casey Hampton, the ability to replace inside linebacker James Farrior, and the emergence of a No. 2 cornerback. The most pressing issue is Hampton, who had ACL surgery in January. It's unknown whether the 35-year-old veteran will be lining up against Denver in the season opener, or starting the season on the Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) list. His absence could force Ziggy Hood to shift from defensive end, or push rookie fourth-round pick Alameda Ta'amu into the starting lineup.

Read More: http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/58287/steelers-one-big-question

suitanim
05-04-2012, 01:32 PM
(sigh) Hensley.

I didn't think we were the number 1 defense last year...I thought the 49ers were better. I know what the stats say, but...

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-04-2012, 01:37 PM
Hemsley finally writes a credible article. All questions are true.

I think we will be fine at CB and if our OLB pressure improves from last year its even less of an issue.

I think Foote is less of a downgrade than most think of Farrior last year. The more important part will be if Hampton can be healthy or Ta'amu can surprise many (not me so much) and be that force that keeps more blockers off our ILB's. I think Ta'amu is gonna be just what we needed.........although probably not until midway thru the season.

SteelGhost
05-04-2012, 06:40 PM
Hey Hensley ... You'd better be worried for your Ratbirds defense now that T. Sucks is injured, NOT for the Steelers.

polamalubeast
05-04-2012, 07:33 PM
(sigh) Hensley.

I didn't think we were the number 1 defense last year...I thought the 49ers were better. I know what the stats say, but...

I agree that the 49ers had the best defense in 2011

If the Steelers want to be the best defense, they must create more turnovers.....The Steelers have only created 15 turnovers in 2011 ....the 49ers has made ​​38 turnovers

The Steelers had made ​​35 turnovers in 2010

stillers4me
05-04-2012, 07:48 PM

If the Steelers want to be the best defense, they must create more turnovers.....The Steelers have only created 15 turnovers in 2011 ....the 49ers has made ​​38 turnovers

Turnovers.

I really hope Poppa LeBeau has that word etched on his bathroom mirror.

Count Steeler
05-04-2012, 08:17 PM
Turnovers.

I really hope Poppa LeBeau has that word etched on his bathroom mirror.

That's what makes their ranking even more impressive. Only 15 turnovers. All other drives were either stopped on 3rd down, 4th down or scores. Pretty impressive if you ask me, to still have the number 1 ranked defense.

polamalubeast
05-04-2012, 08:25 PM
That's what makes their ranking even more impressive. Only 15 turnovers. All other drives were either stopped on 3rd down, 4th down or scores. Pretty impressive if you ask me, to still have the number 1 ranked defense.

But the team would be better if the steelers created more turnovers!

Count Steeler
05-04-2012, 08:32 PM
But the team would be better if the steelers created more turnovers!

That is what I am saying. Imagine if they did have 30 turnovers. That is 15 more drives that ended sooner, rather than later.

Steeldude
05-04-2012, 08:48 PM
Why do these writers forget about McClendon? I would think McClendon would start the season. I don't think Hampton will play at all in 2012

sgtrobo
05-04-2012, 09:51 PM
i think people forget about McClendon because the Steelers website hasMcClendon listed as 6'4, 280, when he was 6'1-3/8, 306 lbs at his Pro day in 2009.

6'4 280 doesn't really say "steelers nose tackle"

BlacknGoldBabe
05-05-2012, 06:06 AM

^^^ THIS

Turnovers are opportunities. The 49ers clearly were the better defense.

GBMelBlount
05-05-2012, 06:38 AM

Agreed. Regardless, I did not feel there was as much intensity or swarming last year nor did I feel they were "smothering."

I am hoping that the infusion of young talent and the FO shaking things up a little will change that....

ShutDown24
05-05-2012, 07:05 AM
Somewhere between Hampton, McLendon and Ta'amu we have a solid nose tackle. At least one of the young corners will step up. And Foote/Sly will be a slight downgrade from Farrior at the jump of the season, but who knows what happens a few weeks in. All in all I'm not as concerned about any of our questionable positions as I had been immediately following the loss in Denver.