PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' projected starting lineup

polamalubeast
05-03-2012, 02:05 PM
http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/47579/steelers-projected-starting-lineup

LLT
05-03-2012, 02:35 PM
LT Mike Adams: If he isn't the starter here as a rookie, the second-round pick should be at this spot by next season.

LG Willie Colon: The Steelers thought about moving Colon from tackle to guard last season. The addition of Adams makes it more viable this year.

C Maurkice Pouncey: Ankle injuries have hurt the Pro Bowl lineman in his first two NFL seasons.

RG David DeCastro: The first-round pick could flip to left guard but he played primarily on the right side at Stanford.

RT Marcus Gilbert: He continued to get better and better every week as a rookie last season.

That is a crazy good starting o-line...though thinking that Adams might start at the beginning of the season is pretty optimistic.

TMC
05-03-2012, 02:37 PM
Not so sure that he is even close. I think that Gilbert is the lead dog at LT. Adams will have to blow his socks off and I just do not know. I think Colon is the guy at RT if healthy. The OG spots will go to DeCastro, Foster, Legursky, or Essex. The two top guys (likely DeCastro and Foster) will earn those spots.

I think the RCB battle will be hotly contested between Lewis, Allen, and Brown. I also think that there could be a push by Sly at LILB, but my top 3 battles would be LT, OG, and RCB.

st33lersguy
05-03-2012, 03:02 PM
I don't see Adams starting his rookie year barring injury. He will probably play a few snaps per game as a backup

suitanim
05-03-2012, 03:42 PM
Adams will start...I'm not even sure that it will be at RT. We shall see. His distractions are over...it's time to get serious. I like Colon at G, for sure...this may be off a bit, but it's sure as shit a lot better than what we've been fobbing off as an OL for the last few years...

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-03-2012, 05:15 PM
That is a crazy good starting o-line...though thinking that Adams might start at the beginning of the season is pretty optimistic.

Yeah, me too. I think they will let DeCastro and Foster start on the inside and Colon will battle it out with Adams for the RT spot in camp. If Colon doesnt win it, he gets cut the following season.

steelreserve
05-03-2012, 05:40 PM
I think Adams will be battling for both LT and RT at the start, and we see how it falls out depending on where he does best.

Unless he really stinks up the joint, it seems like the general idea would be that even if Adams can't start immediately, as soon as he's ready we put him at RT and move Colon to the inside; that would get our five best guys on the field. Of course, the impetus for a rookie to come into the starting lineup is usually that one of the starters is banged up, so that's probably how it will happen unless he cracks the starting lineup out of camp.

ShutDown24
05-03-2012, 05:45 PM
Looks okay besides the offensive line. I don't know where he gets that Adams will be starting at left tackle. It has got to be Gilbert's job to lose at this point.

Also, did the team actually consider moving Colon to guard last year? I thought that was more of a fan-driven idea. I have yet to hear anything regarding that from anyone on the team.

I think, like many of the rest of you, the line will most likely be Gilbert-Foster-Pouncey-DeCastro-Colon... Then once Colon is injured Adams will come in at right tackle.

SteelGhost
05-03-2012, 06:00 PM
Looks okay besides the offensive line. I don't know where he gets that Adams will be starting at left tackle. It has got to be Gilbert's job to lose at this point.

Also, did the team actually consider moving Colon to guard last year? I thought that was more of a fan-driven idea. I have yet to hear anything regarding that from anyone on the team.

I think, like many of the rest of you, the line will most likely be Gilbert-Foster-Pouncey-DeCastro-Colon... Then once Colon is injured Adams will come in at right tackle.

That's what I was thinking, unless there is an official word on Colon at G IMHO he will be at RT at the start of 2012 season

Count Steeler
05-03-2012, 06:11 PM

How sad but true. I would so love to see our injuries on the O Line be seriously curtailed this year.

No one is even mentioning Johnathon Scott. He did start the last 2 or 3 games of the season. At LT, he was terrible, albeit against one of the best rushers in the game. At RT, he seemed to hold his own. Now, I don't think he will start, but let's hope injuries don't bring him back into the mix.

BigNastyDefense
05-03-2012, 06:23 PM
That's what I was thinking, unless there is an official word on Colon at G IMHO he will be at RT at the start of 2012 season

That is, if he makes it through training camp without another season-ending injury. I don't trust his body to hold up.

SteelGhost
05-03-2012, 06:32 PM
That is, if he makes it through training camp without another season-ending injury. I don't trust his body to hold up.

Yep, the guy has been fragile, but the FO re-sign him before the draft maybe as a security blanket :noidea: As shutdown said, WHEN Colon gets injured Adams can tak over the spot, time will tell.

ALLD
05-03-2012, 07:38 PM
What about the punter? Who is going to be the starting punter?!

Chidi29
05-03-2012, 07:47 PM
Yeah, the biggest issue is the starting offensive line. I really doubt it shakes out like that.

Tomlin has already come out and said Gilbert is moving to left tackle. I expect him to be the starter there for a long time.

Everyone wants to talk about Colon moving to guard. How many seasons have we been saying that? If it hasn't happened yet, why would it happen next season?

My guess for the starting line.

Gilbert, Foster, Pouncey, DeCastro, Colon

The one that is most likely to change is right tackle. If Adams really blows us away, it wouldn't shock me if Colon was cut. We're obviously frustrated with the injuries and if we have a chance to clear cap without sacrificing a piece of the line, it wouldn't shock me to see it.

Chidi29
05-03-2012, 07:48 PM
And come on, if it's a "projected lineup", pick between Lewis and Allen. No one is going to hold you to it come September.

Steeltreal
05-03-2012, 08:58 PM
Awww man... Larry Foote is slower than Molasses!

86WARD
05-03-2012, 09:08 PM
An interior of Colon-Pouncey-DeCastro would be sweet...

Steeltreal
05-03-2012, 09:12 PM
Haley should make Doug Legursky the Starting Fullback, can he catch ?

ShutDown24
05-03-2012, 10:41 PM
No one is even mentioning Johnathon Scott.

I was hoping no one would :chuckle:

I considered saying that I think the team would give Scott backup right tackle duties over Adams, but I really hope not. If Adams can't beat out Scott I'll have some concerns about him - even if he is a rookie. I think there is a place for Johnathan Scott on this roster, but it's at swing tackle post-Colon. To me, you have to consider backup right tackle basically a starting gig until we see that Willie can stay healthy for more than a game. As such, I think Scott is your emergency tackle right now.

Steeltreal
05-03-2012, 10:58 PM

I considered saying that I think the team would give Scott backup right tackle duties over Adams, but I really hope not. If Adams can't beat out Scott I'll have some concerns about him - even if he is a rookie. I think there is a place for Johnathan Scott on this roster, but it's at swing tackle post-Colon. To me, you have to consider backup right tackle basically a starting gig until we see that Willie can stay healthy for more than a game. As such, I think Scott is your emergency tackle right now.

Thought our #1 swing man at Tackle was Trai Essex

Psycho Ward 86
05-04-2012, 12:27 AM
Thought our #1 swing man at Tackle was Trai Essex

well that's how bad he sucks lol

Steeldude
05-04-2012, 02:46 AM
NT Casey Hampton: Could start on PUP, which would push Hood to nose tackle and Cameron Heyward into the starting lineup

McClendon will start at NT, not Hood.

GBMelBlount
05-04-2012, 07:46 AM
LT Mike Adams: If he isn't the starter here as a rookie, the second-round pick should be at this spot by next season.

LG Willie Colon: The Steelers thought about moving Colon from tackle to guard last season. The addition of Adams makes it more viable this year.

C Maurkice Pouncey: Ankle injuries have hurt the Pro Bowl lineman in his first two NFL seasons.

RG David DeCastro: The first-round pick could flip to left guard but he played primarily on the right side at Stanford.

RT Marcus Gilbert: He continued to get better and better every week as a rookie last season.

LLT

Wow. Is it is possible to go from a bottom 5 offensive line to top 10 in one year.

Let's hope the injury Gods smile upon us in 2012...

LLT
05-04-2012, 08:00 AM
LILB Larry Foote: Will compete with Stevenson Sylvester for James Farrior's spot.

I think there is zero chance that Foote is the starter this year...Sly is more athletic and this will be Foote's last year on the team.

suitanim
05-04-2012, 09:20 AM
Remember, Adams strong suit is pass blocking...

Steeldude
05-04-2012, 11:22 AM
I think there is zero chance that Foote is the starter this year...Sly is more athletic and this will be Foote's last year on the team.

I hope Stevenson is the starter, but I think the Steelers will go with experience over ability. It's going to be a long year if Foote is starting for Farrior.

Steeldude
05-04-2012, 11:23 AM
Wow. Is it is possible to go from a bottom 5 offensive line to top 10 in one year.

Let's hope the injury Gods smile upon us in 2012...

I believe the QB pressure will be lessened with Arians gone.

LLT
05-04-2012, 11:30 AM
I hope Stevenson is the starter, but I think the Steelers will go with experience over ability. It's going to be a long year if Foote is starting for Farrior.

I liked what I saw from Sly last year...He was still hesitant on coverage responsibilities...but with a year under his belt, he should be reacting much quicker. And lets be honest...his "quick" is much better than Foote's "quick".

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-04-2012, 01:32 PM

I Jon Scott even on the roster? I thought he signed a 1 year deal last year. I could be wrong, but think he is a free agent.

He's not as bad as most make out to be. I honestly would rather have him on the roster than Essex.

XxKnightxX
05-04-2012, 02:58 PM
How sad but true. I would so love to see our injuries on the O Line be seriously curtailed this year.

No one is even mentioning Johnathon Scott. He did start the last 2 or 3 games of the season. At LT, he was terrible, albeit against one of the best rushers in the game. At RT, he seemed to hold his own. Now, I don't think he will start, but let's hope injuries don't bring him back into the mix.

Who? :chuckle:

tube517
05-04-2012, 04:41 PM
Yeah, the biggest issue is the starting offensive line. I really doubt it shakes out like that.

Tomlin has already come out and said Gilbert is moving to left tackle. I expect him to be the starter there for a long time.

Everyone wants to talk about Colon moving to guard. How many seasons have we been saying that? If it hasn't happened yet, why would it happen next season?

My guess for the starting line.

Gilbert, Foster, Pouncey, DeCastro, Colon

The one that is most likely to change is right tackle. If Adams really blows us away, it wouldn't shock me if Colon was cut. We're obviously frustrated with the injuries and if we have a chance to clear cap without sacrificing a piece of the line, it wouldn't shock me to see it.

This would be my guess but that is before any OTAs, camp, preseason games, etc. Hopefully Adams will be on the "fast track" like Pouncey but it's too early to tell. I'd like to see Colon at guard but the coaches have never really said that would be a legit option.

steelreserve
05-04-2012, 06:10 PM
This would be my guess but that is before any OTAs, camp, preseason games, etc. Hopefully Adams will be on the "fast track" like Pouncey but it's too early to tell. I'd like to see Colon at guard but the coaches have never really said that would be a legit option.

In fact, in years past, I specifically remember reading that the coaches said over and over that he was NOT a good candidate to play guard. But then I thought after the rash of injuries I heard they were thinking about testing him out at guard after all, in case his mobility was not the same. Of course, my memory of the latter is a lot more muddled than the former, so who knows if that actually went anywhere.

SteelGhost
05-04-2012, 06:30 PM
I liked what I saw from Sly last year...He was still hesitant on coverage responsibilities...but with a year under his belt, he should be reacting much quicker. And lets be honest...his "quick" is much better than Foote's "quick".

I also want to see what Sly can do at ILB, I hope he does better than Foote.

oneforthetoe
05-04-2012, 07:52 PM
If Adams plays well the Steelers would have an interesting decision. Adams, from a physical standpoint, is the most traditional LT on the team. Those long arms were made for holding off speed rushers. The problem is that the Steelers probably can't wait to see if Adams is ready because they have to allow time for Gilbert to learn the LT position. I think we have to go with Gilbert at LT this season and if Adams looks to be the more LT ready player next year, you make the "switch-aro." However, if Adams does prove capable of starting, I would love to see him at RT - and Colon at guard, where I still think (if healthy) he could be a beast.

sgtrobo
05-04-2012, 08:07 PM
It has got to be Gilbert's job to lose at this point.

why? What has he done at LT for it to be his job? Not saying it's Adams' job, but as far as I'm concerned (which is worth just less than a small hill of beans), both LT and RT are up for grabs.

Gilbert vs. Adams for LT. Loser takes on Colon for RT. Loser takes on Foster for RG.

I'd say we'll probably start week 1 with:

Gilbert - DeCastro - Pouncey - Foster - Colon

after the bye:

Adams - DeCastro - Pouncey - Foster - Gilbert

I think that you need to think about your thinking. Foote keeps coming back. no matter how much athleticism he lacks, he was practically forced into the role last year even with Farrior here. Nothing Sly did last season on the field showed me he's ready to start (again, hill of beans). Now, perhaps another offseasno of strength, another offseason of training, and a full preseason with full time for practices and perhaps Sly is ready to go. Certainly rooting for him.

I Jon Scott even on the roster? I thought he signed a 1 year deal last year. I could be wrong, but think he is a free agent.

$2.2 million against the cap this season I believe.

If Adams plays well the Steelers would have an interesting decision. Adams, from a physical standpoint, is the most traditional LT on the team. Those long arms were made for holding off speed rushers. The problem is that the Steelers probably can't wait to see if Adams is ready because they have to allow time for Gilbert to learn the LT position. I think we have to go with Gilbert at LT this season and if Adams looks to be the more LT ready player next year, you make the "switch-aro." However, if Adams does prove capable of starting, I would love to see him at RT - and Colon at guard, where I still think (if healthy) he could be a beast.

I know what the Steelers said. "Gilbert at LT". "DeCastro is a Right Guard". "Pouncey looks like he'll start for us at RG". "We like what Timmons brings to us as a guy who can start at OLB".

"Gilbert at LT".

That was before we had anyone on the roster who even resembled a LT. We now have the prototype in Adams. 6'7, 325, arms down to his knees, yet fairly lean and light on his feet. A dancing bear of sorts. If he can get his mind into the game and ensure that the standard remains the standard, so to speak, we might have ourselves a true franchise left tackle, if you will....

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-05-2012, 08:37 AM
You ask what has Gilbert done at LT?? Watch him in the preseason last year and you see he has very good feet. In fact, he has more active feet than Adams. What will Adams have to do to start at LT???......hit the gym to get stronger, become a better run blocker which he is not, work on his technique, as if you watch him at OSU....he often gets flat footed and overreacts to an outside rush, then turns his shoulders and leaves the inside lane open for a counter move.

Honestly, Mike Adams needs a lot of work on his technique and consistently keeping his base against pass rushers. I firmly believe that opening day its Gilbert at LT and Adams needs to be watching film of himself and working with coaches to improve his technique, or he will be getting burned a lot by pass rushers and not giving us much in the run game.

Many of the enthusiastic optimists about Adams should watch some tape of him, rather than just reading the hype that the draftniks print. He's got all the talent and size, but is far from a finished product..........which DeCastro is.

ShutDown24
05-05-2012, 08:43 AM

He's not as bad as most make out to be. I honestly would rather have him on the roster than Essex.

I thought the deal was for three years?

EDIT: http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/07/steelers-come-to-terms-with-jonathan-scott/

Two years. So he should still have a year remaining.

ShutDown24
05-05-2012, 08:49 AM
why? What has he done at LT for it to be his job? Not saying it's Adams' job, but as far as I'm concerned (which is worth just less than a small hill of beans), both LT and RT are up for grabs.

Gilbert vs. Adams for LT. Loser takes on Colon for RT. Loser takes on Foster for RG.

I'd say we'll probably start week 1 with:

Gilbert - DeCastro - Pouncey - Foster - Colon

after the bye:

Adams - DeCastro - Pouncey - Foster - Gilbert

You are seriously going to trust the left tackle position to a rookie as raw as Adams? Gilbert played well last year and was drafted as a left tackle. I see no reason why he isn't the long-term favorite. If Adams can gain some strength, of which he has little at the moment, come the bye week - MAYBE he sees time at right tackle. But hopefully Colon is healthy and we don't have to see Adams on the field for another season or two.

suitanim
05-05-2012, 09:49 AM
You are seriously going to trust the left tackle position to a rookie as raw as Adams? Gilbert played well last year and was drafted as a left tackle. I see no reason why he isn't the long-term favorite. If Adams can gain some strength, of which he has little at the moment, come the bye week - MAYBE he sees time at right tackle. But hopefully Colon is healthy and we don't have to see Adams on the field for another season or two.

First off, Gilbert was a raw rookie last year, and HE started at both RT and LT.

Secondly, Adams played for Ohio State for 3 years, so it's not like he was playing against 3rd tier talent at a JUCO. He is NOT a project, and he should probably be penciled in somewhere along out OL this year by even the biggest OSU haters and people second-guessing his character.

Finally, Adams was brought in to upgrade the Steelers pass blocking. It's kind of absurd to act like Adams is so much less skilled or talented or qualified than Gilbert, based on exactly one year difference in experience.

Most importantly, any unbiased observer should be happy there will finally be some solid competition at BOTH RT and LT for a change, with guys who can actually play the position at this level. Whatever happens, the Steelers win. Hate to see all the prejudice before even training camp has opened, already pigeonholing people based on silly things like combine bench presses...

ShutDown24
05-05-2012, 09:59 AM
First off, Gilbert was a raw rookie last year, and HE started at both RT and LT.

Secondly, Adams played for Ohio State for 3 years, so it's not like he was playing against 3rd tier talent at a JUCO. He is NOT a project, and he should probably be penciled in somewhere along out OL this year by even the biggest OSU haters and people second-guessing his character.

Gilbert started out of necessity and was a more polished prospect to begin with.

Adams is unquestionably a project. He has a lot to work on before it's a good idea for him to see the field. Anyone who watched more than a few snaps of him at OSU should know that. He has a lot of potential but if he is a day one starter the line could be even worse than it was last year.

60_MINUTES
05-05-2012, 05:54 PM
the word I heard on Adams was the only reason he dropped was the off field issues.. from what i understand he would have been top 2 or 3 OT taken in draft which means he sounds like a lock at LT to start the season... there are many that are saying he is a cant miss guy that will step right in like a Joe Thomas did with the browns... one thing I do know for sure is Castro will be the number one Guard... there will be no competition with him... he if healthy will be better then Alan F and HOF material... we are looking at a line that can dominate for 10 years.. we are getting ready to see a very different Steeler team... BEN will have Brady time now... looking back n forth over the field and having all day to do it...

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-05-2012, 09:07 PM

Finally, Adams was brought in to upgrade the Steelers pass blocking. It's kind of absurd to act like Adams is so much less skilled or talented or qualified than Gilbert, based on exactly one year difference in experience.

Most importantly, any unbiased observer should be happy there will finally be some solid competition at BOTH RT and LT for a change, with guys who can actually play the position at this level. Whatever happens, the Steelers win. Hate to see all the prejudice before even training camp has opened, already pigeonholing people based on silly things like combine bench presses...

Are you trying to imply that Adams faced better competition in the Big 10 than Gilbert did in the SEC?? Some would debate that.
I was not confident in the Gilbert selection, but the first preseason game he played at LT you could see that he had the feet to play LT. Lacked some of the balance and technique, but honestly his athleticism and quickness was impressive. Adams isnt a project, but he is more heavy footed and less trusting in his kick slide, so he looks to turn his shoulders and chase faster guys.

Gilbert started out of necessity and was a more polished prospect to begin with.

Adams is unquestionably a project. He has a lot to work on before it's a good idea for him to see the field. Anyone who watched more than a few snaps of him at OSU should know that. He has a lot of potential but if he is a day one starter the line could be even worse than it was last year.

Adams isnt a project IMO, but appears to loaf or have more trust in his long arms. When somebody gets the edge on him he turns his shoulders to try and ride them out, prematurely, and then can get beat inside. He needs some time with Garret Giemont to get stronger, lighter and quicker.....then some time with Kugler and the O line coaches to work on his sets and I honestly think he can be as good as Ryan Clady. A year on the right side will be great for him.

stillers4me
05-05-2012, 10:59 PM
the word I heard on Adams was the only reason he dropped was the off field issues.. from what i understand he would have been top 2 or 3 OT taken in draft which means he sounds like a lock at LT to start the season... there are many that are saying he is a cant miss guy that will step right in like a Joe Thomas did with the browns... one thing I do know for sure is Castro will be the number one Guard... there will be no competition with him... he if healthy will be better then Alan F and HOF material... we are looking at a line that can dominate for 10 years.. we are getting ready to see a very different Steeler team... BEN will have Brady time now... looking back n forth over the field and having all day to do it..

Stop! Reading this is giving me goosies......

ShutDown24
05-06-2012, 01:33 AM
Adams isnt a project IMO, but appears to loaf or have more trust in his long arms. When somebody gets the edge on him he turns his shoulders to try and ride them out, prematurely, and then can get beat inside. He needs some time with Garret Giemont to get stronger, lighter and quicker.....then some time with Kugler and the O line coaches to work on his sets and I honestly think he can be as good as Ryan Clady. A year on the right side will be great for him.

Sorry, but that sounds an awful lot like a project to me.

I understand all rookies need some time to get acclimated, but he has a lot to work on.

Steeldude
05-06-2012, 02:21 AM
This is my guess on what the Steelers will employ as the starting lineup for the first game of the 2012 season.

QB - Roethlisberger
RB - Redman
WR - Wallace
WR - Brown
WR - Sanders
LT - Gilbert
LG - Foster
C - Pouncey
RG - DeCastro
RT - Colon
TE - Miller

K - Suisham
P - Butler

CB - Taylor
CB - Allen, Cortez
SS - Polamalu
FS - Clark
OLB - Harrison
OLB - Woodley
ILB - Timmons
ILB - Foote
DE - Kiesel
DE - Hood
NT - McClendon

suitanim
05-06-2012, 06:47 AM
I'm having some real trouble with this one...a first round, pass-blocking LT from the Big Ten is a.................project?

Barring injury, this false narrative will quickly be put to rest on the field and on the two-deep. The ONLY knock I ever had on Adams was his inconsistency. When his head is in the game, he's a dominant offensive lineman. It sounds to me like the Steelers finally got his attention...

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-06-2012, 10:11 AM
Sorry, but that sounds an awful lot like a project to me.

I understand all rookies need some time to get acclimated, but he has a lot to work on.
The 2 points that you note from my post are not that big of a projected issue IMO.
1. working with the Steelers strength coach......everybody is going to do that.
2. working on his pass sets and keeping his shoulders square to the rush......he will get work well into August on that.

I really am hopeful for him, after seeing his committment to make amends for his mistakes. Need to see him follow thru on that and put in the work. Big athletic kid with all the tools that has underperformed IMO, still worries me a bit. I hope between the coaches and peers that he turns the corner in maturity.

ShutDown24
05-06-2012, 10:37 AM
The 2 points that you note from my post are not that big of a projected issue IMO.
1. working with the Steelers strength coach......everybody is going to do that.
2. working on his pass sets and keeping his shoulders square to the rush......he will get work well into August on that.

I really am hopeful for him, after seeing his committment to make amends for his mistakes. Need to see him follow thru on that and put in the work. Big athletic kid with all the tools that has underperformed IMO, still worries me a bit. I hope between the coaches and peers that he turns the corner in maturity.

I think we're basically saying the same thing, I'm just quicker to use the "project" label than you are. I believe he has a ton of upside, but I'm skeptical/worried that being drafted by the Steelers was Adams' end game. I just hope his actions follow his words.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-06-2012, 11:51 AM
I think we're basically saying the same thing, I'm just quicker to use the "project" label than you are. I believe he has a ton of upside, but I'm skeptical/worried that being drafted by the Steelers was Adams' end game. I just hope his actions follow his words.

I think at the very worst he is Max Starks type of guy that will play on the right side and was a 2nd round pick. At best he could be like Ryan Clady and was a steal. pretty low risk, but all the fans that want him to start right away might be unrealistic or optimistic.

ShutDown24
05-06-2012, 12:04 PM
I think at the very worst he is Max Starks type of guy that will play on the right side and was a 2nd round pick. At best he could be like Ryan Clady and was a steal. pretty low risk, but all the fans that want him to start right away might be unrealistic or optimistic.

I definitely agree. If he turns into anything near what Ryan Clady is I'll obviously be ecstatic. I'm sure Adams will see the field this year at some point due to injury, but I think it would be great if he could just sit and learn while getting stronger. I really like Gilbert at left tackle, and think it would be awesome if Adams could use his talents to turn into a dominant run blocker on the right side. But we'll see what happens.

Steeldude
05-06-2012, 02:57 PM
And lets be honest...his "quick" is much better than Foote's "quick".

I don't think Foote possesses any "quick" :grin:

sgtrobo
05-07-2012, 07:48 PM
I watched Adams a good bit and saw what I see from tons of very talented players at the collegiate level: inconsistency. of course he has work to do. So did Gilbert. I am not saying he should be handed the LT spot, but I see zero reason he shouldn't be given an opportunity to compete for it.

same thing here that I've said elsewhere:

Adams and Gilbert compete for the LT spot
Loser goes against Colon for the RT spot
Loser goes against Foster for the RG spot

Competition across the board. NOBODY just walks in and has "a job".

Other than DeCastro and Pouncey of course. :D

Psycho Ward 86
05-07-2012, 08:10 PM
This is my guess on what the Steelers will employ as the starting lineup for the first game of the 2012 season.

QB - Roethlisberger
RB - Redman
WR - Wallace
WR - Brown
WR - Sanders
LT - Gilbert
LG - Foster
C - Pouncey
RG - DeCastro
RT - Colon
TE - Miller

K - Suisham
P - Butler

CB - Taylor
CB - Allen, Cortez
SS - Polamalu
FS - Clark
OLB - Harrison
OLB - Woodley
ILB - Timmons
ILB - Foote
DE - Kiesel
DE - Hood
NT - McClendon

Why Cortez Allen of all people. No love for Lewis?

Chidi29
05-07-2012, 08:11 PM
Why Cortez Allen of all people. No love for Lewis?

Allen isn't a huge stretch. Considering the strides he made last year as a rookie in a lockout, there's no telling what he'll be able to accomplish with a full offseason under his belt.

steelreserve
05-07-2012, 11:26 PM

Funny, I was going to say "you just rattled off a perfect description of Max Starks for most of his career." Until you beat me to it.

I don't think many will say that Starks ever reached his full potential; he got by for a lot of years on raw physical attributes and "upside." If that's all we got with Adams, it'll be disappointing, but we still did OK. For all the griping, Starks was one of our better linemen when healthy throughout the recent rough stretch, and that really became apparent with some of the scrubs we had in there the past two or three seasons. It would be an improvement over where we were.

Now, if we do better than Starks, then we really have something to be pleased about.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-08-2012, 09:58 AM
Funny, I was going to say "you just rattled off a perfect description of Max Starks for most of his career." Until you beat me to it.

I don't think many will say that Starks ever reached his full potential; he got by for a lot of years on raw physical attributes and "upside." If that's all we got with Adams, it'll be disappointing, but we still did OK. For all the griping, Starks was one of our better linemen when healthy throughout the recent rough stretch, and that really became apparent with some of the scrubs we had in there the past two or three seasons. It would be an improvement over where we were.

Now, if we do better than Starks, then we really have something to be pleased about.

I think Adams has Waaaaayyyyy better footwork than Starks. Starks reportedly ran 5.6 40-yard times his draft year. I also think Starks was a much better run blocker than Adams. There is a good chance that Adams ends up on the Left Side in 2013 and Gilbert is the RT because he is a stronger run blocker.

Imagine a Right Side of Pouncey, Foster, Gilbert..........and pulling DeCastro from the left side to lead block on run plays!!! Then Imagine your LT has light feet, long arms and weights 330lbs to protect Ben. I can only dream it works out as I have been wanting to see this for 5 years now.