PDA

View Full Version : Party Time for Steelers Fans? What Are the X Factors Moving Forward?

stillers4me
05-02-2012, 06:47 PM
It looks good. It looks really good for the Steelers after the events of this past weekend. I admit that I am riding as high as anyone over the quality of the draft. The optimism is deserved. One could find fault in one aspect or another of the draft; the character concerns of Adams and Rainey, should we have invested in other players. These are issues that at the end of the day have to be dismissed as quibbles. Generally it is believed that the front office played their hand just about as well as it could be played and much better than expected.But what does it all mean? Does Pittsburgh retake the division? Do they make it back to the Super Bowl? Or did all that the Steelers earn was that they kept pace with the Ravens (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/baltimore-ravens) and Bengals (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/teams/cincinnati-bengals)? None of these questions are really answerable at this point. There are too many unknowns; too many X factors that can turn things in either a positive or negative direction. Here are some things to watch for as the weeks unfold.
http://cdn1.sbnation.com/images/blog/star-divide.v5e9d7f1.jpg
Todd Haley and the new Steeler offenseThis is a huge unknown, but there are a number of reasons to assume that this will be an improvement, some valid, some not. The best reason in my estimation is that Mike Tomlin's track record with new hires and upgrades has been excellent to this point. It is not unreasonable to hope that like, for example, the addition of Carnell Lake, that Haley marks an improvement for the offensive scheme. Further cause for optimism lies in the fact that Tomlin has said that while Haley as offensive coordinator is responsible for the offense, he (Tomlin) and others on the staff have had input in the development of the new system. For me that is a source of comfort, especially given the fact that Haley's addition was met with mixed sentiments by Steeler Nation...........

read more @ http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2012/5/2/2992587/steelers-2012-season-todd-haley-mike-tomlin-maurkice-pouncey-ben-roethlisberger

steelerdude15
05-02-2012, 07:11 PM
It won't be party time until we win another Super Bowl.

stillers4me
05-02-2012, 07:13 PM
It won't be party time until we win another Super Bowl.
I'm all for enjoying the ride.

Butch
05-02-2012, 07:32 PM
Lots of reasons to feel good but I'm with Steelerdude15 we can save the parties until we win it all. The thing with the draft is it's really a crap shoot. Sometimes what looks good on paper never pans out...Sweed and other times those we don't expect turn out to be gems...James Harrison. I'm pretty excited to see what Hailey and the new crew bring to the table.

suitanim
05-03-2012, 05:30 AM
This is exceptionally well-stated...

The less valid reason for believing that the offense will be better is that anything would be an improvement over Bruce Arians. I understand the sentiment, but such a position constitutes a failure of imagination. Things could be worse, much worse than Arians. I'm not saying that's likely, just that it's possible, and therefore, a questionable basis upon which to assume significant improvement. There is also the question of how long will the learning curve be with the new system and will that affect the ability of the offense to compete as everyone gets comfortable with new terminology and related issues.

But for now we must caution ourselves that the only people that can speak of this new system intelligently are all at the Southside facility. The rest of us are reduced to speculation until the summer.

It's balanced and unbiased, and, best of all, isn't tainted with prejudice. Truth is, we all HOPE for improvement, but we won't know until we know. I also like the fact that, no matter what, our opponents will have to re-learn what it is we do on offense. We can use that advantage of surprise...

PalmerSteel
05-03-2012, 05:36 AM
it can be party time leading to our additional super bowls coming. just like in life: dont wait to just enjoy the destination. enjoy the journey as well. :tt03:

Count Steeler
05-03-2012, 05:43 AM
This is exceptionally well-stated...

The less valid reason for believing that the offense will be better is that anything would be an improvement over Bruce Arians. I understand the sentiment, but such a position constitutes a failure of imagination. Things could be worse, much worse than Arians. I'm not saying that's likely, just that it's possible, and therefore, a questionable basis upon which to assume significant improvement. There is also the question of how long will the learning curve be with the new system and will that affect the ability of the offense to compete as everyone gets comfortable with new terminology and related issues.

But for now we must caution ourselves that the only people that can speak of this new system intelligently are all at the Southside facility. The rest of us are reduced to speculation until the summer.

It's balanced and unbiased, and, best of all, isn't tainted with prejudice. Truth is, we all HOPE for improvement, but we won't know until we know. I also like the fact that, no matter what, our opponents will have to re-learn what it is we do on offense. We can use that advantage of surprise...

I for one certainly have greater expectations for this year's offense. Considering the coaching change AND the premier picks from the most recent draft. Haley has even more pressure now, but he does have better "tools" to work with.

Pristas
05-03-2012, 07:56 AM
I found that article painful to read. Here's the cliff notes for those that don't want to waste their time:

We could be good, we could suck. Leaders could step up, some are leaving. Super stars will rise, some have fallen. Hope remains.

suitanim
05-03-2012, 08:17 AM
I found that article painful to read. Here's the cliff notes for those that don't want to waste their time:

We could be good, we could suck. Leaders could step up, some are leaving. Super stars will rise, some have fallen. Hope remains.

That's too bad. As opposed to most blog stuff posted here, it was well-written, was spelled correctly, used proper grammar, had a point, and made that point without grinding axes or exercising petty prejudices and myopic biases. I've found all the recent "Behind the Steel Curtain" articles to be the same...it's refreshing.

Pristas
05-03-2012, 07:34 PM
That's too bad. As opposed to most blog stuff posted here, it was well-written, was spelled correctly, used proper grammar, had a point, and made that point without grinding axes or exercising petty prejudices and myopic biases. I've found all the recent "Behind the Steel Curtain" articles to be the same...it's refreshing.

I guess it was just rehashing what we've all been discussing here for a while now, so it seemed like old news.

XxKnightxX
05-04-2012, 05:29 AM
As long as it isnt a boat party, im good lol.

PalmerSteel
05-04-2012, 10:42 AM
As long as it isnt a boat party, im good lol.

or a party in georgia