PDA

View Full Version : 7th rounder Toney Clemons now has our attention

stillers4me
05-02-2012, 05:48 PM
On paper, the Steelers had one of their best drafts in recent memory. Still, with training camp a couple months off, they’re looking for depth at wide receiver. Mike Wallace is taking his sweet time signing his tender, but I expect him to eventually put pen to paper. Then there’s Antonio Brown, Manny Sanders and Jerricho Cotchery. And that was the depth chart until Pittsburgh used a seventh-round pick on Colorado wideout Toney Clemons.

Having never seen (or heard of) Clemons, I reflexively pegged him as a camp body and, best-case scenario, a candidate for the practice squad. But after reading CBSSports.com’s Chuck Finder, I’m thinking the Steelers may have stumbled onto another late-round gem. First, the details from Finder (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/rapid-reports/post/18923690):

“Toney Clemons, who transferred from Michigan to Colorado and played for four head coaches, is just finding himself. Look at ‘Southern Cal and Utah [tape], it jumps off the screen at you,’ coach Mike Tomlin said of two of Clemons’ final four collegiate games. ‘He made some combat catches downfield with DBs in position.’”
So that’s what I did — took a look at the USC and Utah tape. This ain’t Lee Mays 2.0:...............

read more @ http://www.steelerslounge.com/2012/05/7th-rounder-toney-clemons-could-be-special/

Count Steeler
05-02-2012, 06:04 PM
‘He made some combat catches downfield with DBs in position.’

I don't know who to be impressed with more. Clemons for the catches or Tomlin for this phrase. Tomlin is going supplant Yogi Berra as the most quoted sports figure.

"Combat catches" You heard it here first.

salamander
05-02-2012, 08:02 PM
I don't know who to be impressed with more. Clemons for the catches or Tomlin for this phrase. Tomlin is going supplant Yogi Berra as the most quoted sports figure.

"Combat catches" You heard it here first.

Is he a starter in waiting making combat catches in a hostile environment while defending every blade of grass? :lol:

SMR
05-02-2012, 08:13 PM
Is he a starter in waiting making combat catches in a hostile environment while defending every blade of grass? :lol:

:toofunny:

Best multi-quote from a single person I've seen in a long time!

:tt03:

Butch
05-02-2012, 08:20 PM
Time to "Unleash He..." ah never mind.

salamander
05-02-2012, 08:41 PM
Time to "Unleash He..." ah never mind.

Shhhh... :chuckle:

tube517
05-02-2012, 09:06 PM
Is he a starter in waiting making combat catches in a hostile environment while defending every blade of grass, that doesn't subscribe to hocus pocus? :lol:

Just a slight addition. :chuckle:

salamander
05-02-2012, 09:50 PM
Just a slight addition. :chuckle:

Works for me. :chuckle:

st33lersguy
05-02-2012, 09:52 PM
Pretty impressive.

stillers4me
05-02-2012, 09:53 PM
At this juncture, he is a starter in waiting making combat catches in a hostile environment while defending every blade of grass, that doesn't subscribe to hocus pocus. :lol:

There ya go!

salamander
05-02-2012, 09:54 PM
There ya go!

I like it!

suitanim
05-03-2012, 05:38 AM
Bset quote was "This ain't Lee Mays 2.0".

LOL

Craic
05-03-2012, 02:33 PM
The videos were okay. There were some good parts and some okay parts. He's going to have to learn to make one move and go when he's running down the field. The dancing and juking he does will only get him kissed at the next level.

Most of the catches weren't spectacular and he's also going to have to learn to go up and get the ball "at the highest point," there was one or two that, instead of being long completions or touchdowns, would have been interceptions in the NFL (unless he's playing against Ike Taylor, then it would have just been batted down). But if he's coachable, I think most of those things are easy to take care of.

What he does do that I like, is he looks like he's not afraid to block. Some of them were not that strong, but there was one especially where he put the guy on his rear-end. Very nice.
He did have a couple nice catches in traffic and he also showed that he can track the ball into his hands pretty well. I'd have to go back and look again, but I believe every catch was a hands catch, insteda of trapping the ball in his chest or body.

What really impressed me however, was this video below. It wasn't anything he did in it, or necessary what he was saying, it was his grammar, his ability to think on the spot, and his ability to utilize an illustration and draw it through to the conclusion. I say that because it shows an intelligence behind what he's doing. He's not just parroting something, but understands it and make it his own - I'll go on a limb and say that his Wonderlic would be better that a number of people that we can think of.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xs86Hr0UWk4&feature=player_embedded

XxKnightxX
05-03-2012, 05:44 PM
Is he a starter in waiting who knows the fine line between making wine and squashing grapes by making combat catches in a hostile environment while defending every blade of grass? :lol:

I added another one

salamander
05-03-2012, 06:02 PM
I added another one

That works too. :lol:

SteelGhost
05-03-2012, 06:11 PM
Glad we pick a WR in a late round, we don't know if we'll need him if Wallace goes :noidea:

steeldawg
05-03-2012, 07:26 PM
Glad we pick a WR in a late round, we don't know if we'll need him if Wallace goes :noidea: wallace is not going anywhere especially this season. I think we drafted him as a safety net for sanders who has some trouble staying healthy.

Here We Go Steelers
05-03-2012, 08:56 PM
At this juncture, he is a starter in waiting making combat catches in a hostile environment while defending every blade of grass, that doesn't subscribe to hocus pocus, if you will. :lol:

Couldn't resist. Long time lurker, first time poster. Really hoping a local kid makes good.

salamander
05-03-2012, 09:21 PM
Couldn't resist. Long time lurker, first time poster. Really hoping a local kid makes good.

Welcome! Hope to see you around more often!

Iron Steeler
05-03-2012, 09:54 PM

Welcome my friend! Glad to gave you here!

ShutDown24
05-03-2012, 10:57 PM
This ain’t Lee Mays 2.0...............

Hey, I actually liked Lee :chuckle:

Count Steeler
05-04-2012, 05:09 AM

Welcome aboard. Don't be shy.

SteelGhost
05-04-2012, 06:14 PM

Welcome to the B&G Universe :thumbsup: