PDA

View Full Version : UPDATE:Ed Bouchette: DeCastro #66 and other rookie numbers.

zulater
05-02-2012, 11:36 AM
Good morning,
I’m off again today, but wanted to give you some of the numbers assigned to the rookies and others, including a few changes from last year.
The numbers are subject to change once the regular season rolls around because others become available and some players may want the number that comes up.
2- Grant Ressel
3- D: Drew Butler
3- O: Marquis Maze
5- Connor Dixon
8- Jerrod Johnson
10- Troy Smith
11- Toney Clemons
14- Jimmy Young
15- Derrick Williams
18- David Gilreath
19- Tyler Beiler
20- Baron Batch
22- Chris Rainey
30- D: Robert Golden
35- Terry Carter
37- Terrence Frederick
39- Walter McFadden
40- Marshall McFadden
41- Antonio Smith
44- Brandon Hicks
45- Leonard Pope
46- O: Will Johnson
46- D: Adrian Robinson
47- Myron Rolle
48- David Paulson
49- Brandon Lindsey
51- Sean Spence
61- David DeCastro
66- D: Mike Blanc
66- O: Desmond Stapleton
67- D: Kade Weston
68- O: Kelvin Beachum
68- D: Jake Stoller
69- D: Ikponmwosa Igbinosun
69- O: Ryan Lee
76- Mike Adams
80- Jamie McCoy
81- Wes Lyons
87- Juamorris Stewart
91- Corbin Bryant
95- Alameda Ta’amu

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/116201-ed-decastro-no-61-a-other-rookie-numbers

zulater
05-02-2012, 11:45 AM
For those of you that were worried #52 stays safely in the rafters where it belongs.

Speaking of which, I wonder if the Steelers will ever get around to officially retiring any of the numbers that we know will never be issued again to a Steeler?

I understand if you do it with too many players it loses it's value. But I don't think it's right that Ernie Stautner's is the only number retired. Nothing against Stautner who truly was a great player, but at the very least Joe Greene's 75 should be officially retired along with Ernie's 70.

By the way the unofficially retired list is 12, 32, 36, 52, 58, 59, 63 and 75.

suitanim
05-02-2012, 11:58 AM
#14 back in pay at WR. The ghost of Sweed rides again!

Bluecoat96
05-02-2012, 12:00 PM
Here's one of my rambling thoughts. You know how players will pay another player if they want their number? If DeCastro really wanted #52, I say make a donation to the estate of Mike Webster, or maybe make a large donation to a charity in honor of Mike Webster...

okay, I'm done babbling.

zulater
05-02-2012, 12:03 PM
Here's one of my rambling thoughts. You know how players will pay another player if they want their number? If DeCastro really wanted #52, I say make a donation to the estate of Mike Webster, or maybe make a large donation to a charity in honor of Mike Webster...

okay, I'm done babbling.

My answer to that. No! Better yet Hell no! Everything in the country really doesn't have to be for sale! DeCastro needs to make his own Steeler legacy.

steelreserve
05-02-2012, 12:10 PM

okay, I'm done babbling.

I've never heard anything about DeCastro saying he really wanted #52 so badly. Seems like he just happens to have the same number and there's nothing to indicate he's hung up on it.

Either way, the only way you "unretire" a number should be if the player is still alive and says yes, go ahead and give it to him. Which is also pretty much unheard of for a rookie - only the occasional veteran who's had a great career in his own right.

zulater
05-02-2012, 12:16 PM
I've never heard anything about DeCastro saying he really wanted #52 so badly. Seems like he just happens to have the same number and there's nothing to indicate he's hung up on it.

Either way, the only way you "unretire" a number should be if the player is still alive and says yes, go ahead and give it to him. Which is also pretty much unheard of for a rookie - only the occasional veteran who's had a great career in his own right.

Otherwise known as the Peyton Manning exception. :lol:

Though to his credit Joe Montana refused to hear any talk of his temporarily unretiring Len Dawson's 16 when he became a Chief.

7willBheaven
05-02-2012, 12:16 PM
Until the final cuts are made and the season is starting none of the numbers are official...so we shall see.

Carolina Steelers
05-02-2012, 12:17 PM
My answer to that. No! Better yet Hell no! Everything in the country really doesn't have to be for sale! DeCastro needs to make his own Steeler legacy.

Nothing wrong with making his own legacy, but the # has nothing to do with it if somehow he wore #52 and had a great career IE maybe even the hall it would just be 2 greats the wore #52. Steelers have unofficially retired 8 #'s maybe add #86 to that list or even 82, or 88 but those numbers are worn or have been worn regulary. For Instance if a young wideout called Hines and ask permission to wear # and offered to make a contribution to his foundation Helping Hands i think Hines would be fine and grateful. With only 1 number retired officially, and so many Steelers greats sooner or later there number has to be used. Steelers just need a ring of honor for all the Steelers Greats IMO.

Bluecoat96
05-02-2012, 12:20 PM

I wasn't saying he should, I just wanted to put one of my many rambling thoughts out there.

zulater
05-02-2012, 12:22 PM
I wasn't saying he should, I just wanted to put one of my many rambling thoughts out there.

I was just responding to your thought. It wasn't meant to be taken personally. :peace:

zulater
05-02-2012, 12:25 PM
Nothing wrong with making his own legacy, but the # has nothing to do with it if somehow he wore #52 and had a great career IE maybe even the hall it would just be 2 greats the wore #52. Steelers have unofficially retired 8 #'s maybe add #86 to that list or even 82, or 88 but those numbers are worn or have been worn regulary. For Instance if a young wideout called Hines and ask permission to wear # and offered to make a contribution to his foundation Helping Hands i think Hines would be fine and grateful. With only 1 number retired officially, and so many Steelers greats sooner or later there number has to be used. Steelers just need a ring of honor for all the Steelers Greats IMO.

That's fine. But I don't think Hines legacy is up there with Joe Greene, Terry Bradshaw, Franco Harris, Jack Lambert, Mike Webster, and Jack Ham's. Those numbers should never be re issued under any circumstances in my opinion.

Steeldude
05-02-2012, 12:27 PM
For those of you that were worried #52 stays safely in the rafters where it belongs.

Speaking of which, I wonder if the Steelers will ever get around to officially retiring any of the numbers that we know will never be issued again to a Steeler?

I understand if you do it with too many players it loses it's value. But I don't think it's right that Ernie Stautner's is the only number retired. Nothing against Stautner who truly was a great player, but at the very least Joe Greene's 75 should be officially retired along with Ernie's 70.

I would retire 12, 52, 58, 59 and 75

venom
05-02-2012, 12:30 PM
Isn't Bubby Brister's number 6 retired ? lol

zulater
05-02-2012, 12:31 PM
I would retire 12, 52, 58, 59 and 75

I'm nearly with you. I'd have to add Franco's 32 to that list.

zulater
05-02-2012, 12:31 PM

It's been soiled too bad for anyone else to ever take it. :heh:

zulater
05-02-2012, 12:36 PM
If Heinz's sponsorship deal with the stadium ever ends I think a real smart executive would purchase the naming rights and then rename the stadium Arthur Rooney field. Could you imagine the capital you'd gain from that? I mean you could still plaster your name on the scoreboard, and other places. But to give the name over to the Chief would buy you more local goodwill than you'd ever gain by becoming the next PNC, Costco field etc...

86WARD
05-02-2012, 12:36 PM
Suisham killed that number!

tube517
05-02-2012, 12:46 PM

No #47 ?

Carolina Steelers
05-02-2012, 12:47 PM
That's fine. But I don't think Hines legacy is up there with Joe Greene, Terry Bradshaw, Franco Harris, Jack Lambert, Mike Webster, and Jack Ham's. Those numbers should never be re issued under any circumstances in my opinion.

I agree with that 75, 12, 32, 58, and 52 should never be worn again. Any current Steelers may fall into the category when there done playing maybe 7, and 43

zulater
05-02-2012, 12:55 PM
No #47 ?

47 was issued as recently as 2006 to Ron Stanley. Before that Scott Shields had it for a couple years at the turn of the millennium.

But you're right if you think he's deserving.

Here's what my criteria would be. Any first ballot Hall of Famer I'd retire their number. I think that would be the perfect dividing line.

So that would give us 12, 32, 47, 52, 58, 59, 70, and 75.

Was Woodson a first ballot Hall of Famer? Of course with him some of his legacy was made elsewhere and I suppose you could argue his Steelers contribtions alone may not have gained him entry on the first try?

zulater
05-02-2012, 12:56 PM
I agree with that 75, 12, 32, 58, and 52 should never be worn again. Any current Steelers may fall into the category when there done playing maybe 7, and 43

43 for sure!

Ben needs to do it for a little longer still imo.

Godfather
05-02-2012, 01:29 PM
20- Baron Batch
47- Myron Rolle

Blasphemy!

SteelGhost
05-02-2012, 01:30 PM
12, 32, 52, 58, 59 and 75 to be retired, all the other greats in a big fat ring of honor in Heinz Field would be fine.

Later on they can retire 7 and 43 also :thumbsup:

steeldevil
05-02-2012, 02:33 PM
Because of the large # of WRs and TEs that are carried, its really not feasible to "retire" 82, 88, or 86.

But its good to see that apparently 86 will be out of circulation for a year or so.

steeldevil
05-02-2012, 02:36 PM
Also, #61? Thats such a random/sucky number. An nfl team would have to pay me extra to wear #61 lol.

tube517
05-02-2012, 02:38 PM
47 was issued as recently as 2006 to Ron Stanley. Before that Scott Shields had it for a couple years at the turn of the millennium.

But you're right if you think he's deserving.

Here's what my criteria would be. Any first ballot Hall of Famer I'd retire their number. I think that would be the perfect dividing line.

So that would give us 12, 32, 47, 52, 58, 59, 70, and 75.

Was Woodson a first ballot Hall of Famer? Of course with him some of his legacy was made elsewhere and I suppose you could argue his Steelers contribtions alone may not have gained him entry on the first try?

Who? :chuckle:
Not only is Mel's number still being used, it's being used by nobodies. :heh:

ShutDown24
05-02-2012, 03:02 PM
Thanks for the post Zulater.

I don't believe they will ever retire another number "officially". I thought I heard one of the Rooneys address that at one point or another.

Didn't they almost give out #52 to A.Q. Shipley a few years ago?

Count Steeler
05-02-2012, 03:50 PM

Would you want to wear it?

Count Steeler
05-02-2012, 03:52 PM
5+2 = 7. 6+1=7. Maybe he likes the number 7? How appropriate.

salamander
05-02-2012, 04:32 PM
The number doesn't make the player, the player makes the number.

That's my philosophical statement for the day. :chuckle:

BigNastyDefense
05-02-2012, 06:55 PM
The number doesn't make the player, the player makes the number.

That's my philosophical statement for the day. :chuckle:

That's how I look at it. Give DeCastro 61, and let him make the number one that's synonymous with greatness.

Edman
05-02-2012, 07:39 PM
There are only so many numbers you can retire before you start running out of numbers.

Butch
05-02-2012, 08:15 PM
Wasn't it "The Chief" who wanted to keep from retiring numbers? His point was that eventually you will run low on numbers. I thought that was why the Steelers retire lockers. To me that is pretty cool.

I understand the point Zu makes about having more than one person wearing the same number for the same team going into the Hall, I would suggest that maybe it means we are lucky enough to have more than one generation who can relate to said jersey number.

Also why only retiring 1st ballots??? Stallworth was just as good if not better than Swannie but it just took him longer due to idiot reporters not wanting to many 70's Steelers.

steelerdude15
05-02-2012, 08:41 PM
The numbers 12, 32, 36, 52, 58, 59, 75, will probably not be used again. The numbers 7, 43, and 86 should never be used again.

Bluecoat96
05-02-2012, 08:44 PM
Well....good luck living up to the standard THIS guy set, DeCastro. ;)

http://www.bestsportsphotos.com/image.php?productid=30611

Butch
05-02-2012, 08:53 PM

Yes but how Lucky we would be if he does.

zulater
05-03-2012, 05:24 AM
Wasn't it "The Chief" who wanted to keep from retiring numbers? His point was that eventually you will run low on numbers. I thought that was why the Steelers retire lockers. To me that is pretty cool.

I understand the point Zu makes about having more than one person wearing the same number for the same team going into the Hall, I would suggest that maybe it means we are lucky enough to have more than one generation who can relate to said jersey number.

Also why only retiring 1st ballots??? Stallworth was just as good if not better than Swannie but it just took him longer due to idiot reporters not wanting to many 70's Steelers.

Swann wasn't a first ballot Hall of Famer either. So by my proposal neither he nor Stallworth would have their number officially retired. First ballot Steeler Hall of fame inductee's to the best of my memory would be Stautner, Greene, Bradshaw, Harris, Webster, Blount, Lambert, and Ham. I think Woodson was too, but it could be argued that he didn't cement his first ballot status as a Steeler, so it's arguable if he would make the cut.

I would still keep certain numbers out of circulation, such as 36, and 86, but I wouldn't officially retire their numbers as I would the first ballot Hall of Famers.

Of course the reality of the situation is the Steelers will stay the course they've been on for the last 3 decades and just quietly take certain numbers out of circulation as they see fit.

I wish they would at least put up a ring of honor at Heinz field and officially recognize the greatest of the great.

Bluecoat96
05-03-2012, 06:41 AM

Geez...nobody gets my Sean Mahan reference? lol... I guess I should have included this.:sarcasm2:

stillers4me
05-04-2012, 12:26 PM
Mike Bires‏@mikebiresDavid DeCastro, the Steelers' 1st-round draft pick, has already changed numbers (61 to 66) ,,, He's wearing Alan Faneca's old number

I guess that's less confusing for Ben. :chuckle:

salamander
05-04-2012, 12:57 PM
Mike Bires‏@mikebiresDavid DeCastro, the Steelers' 1st-round draft pick, has already changed numbers (61 to 66) ,,, He's wearing Alan Faneca's old number

I guess wearing #66 is fitting for our next (hopefully) great guard.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-04-2012, 01:34 PM
Geez...nobody gets my Sean Mahan reference? lol... I guess I should have included this.:sarcasm2:

I think you, me and DeCastro got that reference. I'd change my number too!!

steeldevil
05-04-2012, 02:02 PM
I guess DeCastro felt the same way I do about #61. The team would have to pay me extra to wear that crappy number.

tube517
05-04-2012, 02:27 PM

You mean the human traffic cone?

stillers4me
05-04-2012, 02:31 PM
Not a rookie but close...

Mike Bires‏ (Bires‏@mikebires)@ (Bires‏@mikebires)mikebires (Bires‏@mikebires)Steelers RB Baron Batch, whose rookie season ended last year with training camp knee injury, has changed numbers from 35 to 20

Mike Bires‏@mikebires
Baron Batch said 35 is more of a fullback number .. 20 is more of a halfback number

salamander
05-04-2012, 02:46 PM
Not a rookie but close...

Mike Bires‏@mikebiresSteelers RB Baron Batch, whose rookie season ended last year with training camp knee injury, has changed numbers from 35 to 20

Mike Bires‏@mikebires
Baron Batch said 35 is more of a fullback number .. 20 is more of a halfback number

Doesn't Baron know that fullback is practically a forbidden word in Pittsburgh these days? :chuckle:

tube517
05-04-2012, 04:51 PM
Doesn't Baron know that fullback is practically a forbidden word in Pittsburgh these days? :chuckle:

Don't know what that is. :chuckle:

SteelGhost
05-04-2012, 06:12 PM

Maybe....just maybe... the new OC wants to have one FB in the roster :chuckle:

zulater
05-05-2012, 06:26 AM
First-rounder David DeCastro was originally down to wear No. 61 but before his first practice, he asked for No. 66 and got it. So, all those who called DeCastro the next Alan Faneca may have known something.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/116237-ed-farriors-number-doesnt-last-long-in-retirement

I see someone beat me to it, but oh well. I'm glad he asked for that number. Hopefully he know's what it represents and will play up to it.