PDA

View Full Version : Deshea Townsend hoping Steelers ask him back

venom
07-13-2010, 12:25 PM
Veteran cornerback Deshea Townsend still hopes he can play for the Steelers in 2010 according to John Harris of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.
The 34 year old Townsend was surprised when he wasn't retained by the Steelers.
"I did kind of expect to be back, just to add some depth at the position," he said. "They know there's a player out there they don't really have to teach the system, that can come in and play."
"Pittsburgh is home. You always want to be where you started," said Townsend, who has been working out with speed and conditioning coach Tom Shaw in Florida. "If something happens in training camp ... maybe. My agent said just stay in shape. I had some conversations (with teams). There's always going to be a need for a corner somewhere."

"I've always looked at the entire picture, understanding this game is not going to last forever. It's always been a business for me," Townsend said.
"I want to play one or two more years. But if it doesn't happen, I have a lot of other stuff going on with health care and doing a lot of work with my foundation."

Chidi29
07-13-2010, 12:31 PM
It was a good move not to bring him back. Appreciate all he's done for us, but even for a LeBeau defense, he had zero speed last year. A big liability at this point and with all the corners we have, there's no room for him.

He's working with some big charity/group, isn't he? Hope that works out for him.

LLT
07-13-2010, 12:56 PM
It was a good move not to bring him back. Appreciate all he's done for us, but even for a LeBeau defense, he had zero speed last year. A big liability at this point and with all the corners we have, there's no room for him.

He's working with some big charity/group, isn't he? Hope that works out for him.

Its no secret that I am not a big fan of Townsend the player. As a person he is probably the nicest guy in the world...and as you said, I appreciate everything he has done for us. But I think his instincts have always been suspect...and that is the kiss of death when you cant run a 4.4 forty in order to recover. Deshea is a hard worker that made the most of the talent that he does have...but personally I thought that we should have cut him three years ago.

ALLD
07-13-2010, 01:10 PM
2005 was his best season. Thank you Deshea.

7willBheaven
07-13-2010, 01:24 PM
I always liked him...he was a dependable player for the most part. If someone goes down CB or S...i think theres a chance his phone will ring though.

venom
07-13-2010, 02:05 PM
Ill always remember that interception vs Dallas for the win .

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_0EShxbTHdIo/Syc_CloNLBI/AAAAAAAACc4/NKex3bhvc4Q/s400/08_DAL_townsend_100776.JPG

BPS3akaWirels3
07-13-2010, 03:59 PM
:thumbsup: He gets two thumbs up in my book. I think him and Willie were/are a big part of this team.... Here is hoping he is back...

Austin87
07-14-2010, 03:38 AM
If one of our Safeties or CB's gets injured, I sure hope that they give Townsend a call.

I would have loved if the Steelers signed Townsend to compete for a backup safety spot. I am not sold on Mundy or Allen.

Galax Steeler
07-14-2010, 04:13 AM
Townsend gave up alot of big plays and yes he made some big plays. I just don't think he is the answer for us at corner we need some youth at the position.

HometownGal
07-14-2010, 06:06 AM
I always liked him...he was a dependable player for the most part. If someone goes down CB or S...i think theres a chance his phone will ring though.

My thoughts exactly. :thumbsup:

I always liked Deshea both on and off the field. He's had some really good games throughout his career and some not so good, but I'm glad he was a part of this team for as long as he has been.

Much luck to you Deshea! :drink:

wootawnee
07-14-2010, 08:24 AM
Deshea....You will be missed.........Though all roads must turn when the mountains come to pass..........May your turn leads you to peace.......

SteelGhost
07-14-2010, 10:11 AM
Townsend gave up alot of big plays and yes he made some big plays. I just don't think he is the answer for us at corner we need some youth at the position.

I agree 100% Galax, don't get me wrong, I like Deshea and thank him for his playing time in B & G, but IMHO it's time to move on and see what the young players can bring to the table. We need more speed in this pass-happy league.

Good luck Deshea :tt02:

zulater
07-15-2010, 07:53 PM
I hope Deshea catches on with someone. He was a good Steeler for a number of years and made some great plays in the black and gold. My favorite? The 4th quarter sack of Hasselback in SB XL that thrwarted the Seahawks last legitmate chance to come back in that game!

SMR
07-17-2010, 04:08 PM
I think his time is up. My heart does go out to him for the some of the great plays he made (during his prime). Good luck to you Townshend! :tt03:

The Duke
07-18-2010, 08:02 PM
He was practicing safety for what, 5 straight years during TC? Sure would be nice if he could play backup there

His loss of speed could get hidden there. He is still a smart player, and a veteran leader. Having will allen is better than what we had last year, but more depth never hurts

Still, like to see what mundy has first....