PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Draft Grade: A

BigNastyDefense
04-29-2012, 03:24 PM
Steelers Draft Grade: A (http://blackngoldreport.blogspot.com/2012/04/steelers-draft-grade.html)

I know that you cannot truly grade a draft until after three years, but just going off of potential, I give this year's Steelers' draft an A-. So from here, let's look at each player that the Pittsburgh Steelers took in the 2012 NFL Draft.

Needs: Offensive Guard, Inside Linebacker, Offensive Tackle, Nose Tackle, Cornerback
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Click the link to read the rest of the article.

Texasteel
04-29-2012, 08:35 PM
To me this draft become an A half way through. Now if it is still an A in 7 months, we shall see.

GitNoLuv
04-29-2012, 08:41 PM
Todd McShay said:

Pittsburgh Steelers

Impact pick: OT Mike Adams (second) -- Much has been made of the fallout from Adams' positive marijuana test at the NFL combine, but I think there is a strong chance he can win a starting job. He has the size and athleticism teams look for, and he may well be the most talented offensive tackle on the roster already.
Intriguing pick: RB Chris Rainey (fifth) -- He's dynamic with the ball in his hands, and Rainey can be a weapon as a runner, receiver and returner. There are concerns about durability and his slight frame, but he won't have to be the go-to guy at any position. There are also some character issues, but former college teammate Maurkice Pouncey certainly will be an asset in terms of keeping Rainey focused. In the end, getting a slot receiver and change-of-pace back who can also contribute on special teams in the fifth round is a great value.

Mel Kiper had:

Pittsburgh Steelers

Top needs: G/T, NT, ILB, CB, WR

Summary: Pittsburgh got one of the total steals of the draft when Stanford guard David DeCastro fell all the way to No. 24. Just think about the inside of that offensive line now with DeCastro next to Maurkice Pouncey. It could be a dominant unit. We know Mike Adams has some off-the-field questions, but Mike Tomlin explained to us that the team took major precautions. If it was just a talent question, you're getting a really good player that far down the board, though I'm not sure he has an immediate role. If Marcus Gilbert ultimately moves to the left side, Adams could start early on the right side. He's not a power guy, but has great technique as a pass protector. Sean Spence is a guy Dick LeBeau can develop. He's too big for safety, and can add speed at linebacker. Chris Rainey could be a steal just because he'll get you big plays at running back, with not a ton of reps. He could also be a returner. Ta'amu isn't a special talent, but if he sticks can fill a special role. True 3-4 nose tackles are hard to find. This was a fantastic draft in my opinion.

NEED: A-
VALUE: B-
OVERALL: B

GBMelBlount
04-29-2012, 09:24 PM
To me this draft become an A half way through.

Now if it is still an A in 7 months, we shall see.

Absolutely agree on both points Tex.

How Kiper can grade this a "B" for value is beyond me.

GitNoLuv
04-29-2012, 09:34 PM

How Kiper can grade this a "B" for value is beyond me.It's simple, his job is best justified if he says something that stirs up conversation. That being said...overall B is above average. You far exceeded your needs. It was the Value that he has issues with (Based off of his projections.) Other than Decastro...who really fell to you that he felt should have gone significantly higher.

GBMelBlount
04-29-2012, 09:54 PM
It's simple, his job is best justified if he says something that stirs up conversation. That being said...overall B is above average. You far exceeded your needs. It was the Value that he has issues with (Based off of his projections.) Other than Decastro...who really fell to you that he felt should have gone significantly higher.

If I am not mistaken every main draft pick was graded higher than (and maybe one "at") where we got them.

steelreserve
04-29-2012, 11:09 PM
Could be that he didn't think Spence was worth the pick, or that he doesn't think Adams is very good. My guess is one of them turns out to be a hit, one turns out to be a miss. 2-3 years from now, what the ultimate result of this draft really depends on is how well Rainey and the fat man turn out.

zulater
04-30-2012, 05:51 AM
I think we'll end up with two high quality starters on the offensive line for years to come from this draft at a minimum. So right there it's already a success. The rest? Who knows? I'm sure they'll get some contributions from some of these guys, and some not so much. But just stabilizing 40% of your offensive line for the remainder of Big Ben's career makes this draft an A+ to me.

suitanim
04-30-2012, 08:22 AM
I'm wary of draft grades. Give you an example of why. Czarnecki from Fox Sports gave us an A+.

Then turned around and gave the Seahawks a B, and the Jaguars a C.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-30-2012, 10:09 AM

How Kiper can grade this a "B" for value is beyond me.

Its simple. We drafted 3 Linemen with our top 4 picks. Not "valued " positions. If we drafted WR, QB, CB, RB, then there would be more perceived value and a higher pick.

I personally think we got the best OG and NT in the draft. Arguably, neither of those positions is high profile, but when your QB is upright more, the RB's rush for more and the LB's make more tackles..........there is value.

I think its an A- draft. Solid work!!

ShutDown24
04-30-2012, 02:32 PM
It's simple, his job is best justified if he says something that stirs up conversation. That being said...overall B is above average. You far exceeded your needs. It was the Value that he has issues with (Based off of his projections.) Other than Decastro...who really fell to you that he felt should have gone significantly higher.

Well, we could start with DeCastro, Adams and Ta'amu lol. Each of those guys should have gone a round higher than they did when we selected them (DeCastro top ten - obviously there is no round 0 :chuckle:) and I really expected Rainey to be gone before our pick in the fifth, too. I guess the key word there is "he". And I don't read Kiper's stuff, but I have to think Mike Adams was in his top 50 players, and Ta'amu ranked higher than a 4th round guy.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-30-2012, 03:58 PM
Well, we could start with DeCastro, Adams and Ta'amu lol. Each of those guys should have gone a round higher than they did when we selected them (DeCastro top ten - obviously there is no round 0 :chuckle:) and I really expected Rainey to be gone before our pick in the fifth, too. I guess the key word there is "he". And I don't read Kiper's stuff, but I have to think Mike Adams was in his top 50 players, and Ta'amu ranked higher than a 4th round guy.
11. David DeCastro, G, Stanford -- Andrew Luck's top blocker has been the dominant force on Stanford's offensive line the past two seasons. He's rightfully being compared to All Pro Steve Hutchinson and offers potential in a variety of NFL blocking schemes.

17. Mike Adams, T, Ohio State -- Adams returned to the Buckeye lineup after missing seven games last season due to suspension, then played inspired football. He's a terrific pass-protector at 330 pounds, with the strength to overwhelm defenders while run blocking.

40. Alameda Ta'amu, DL, Washington -- Ta'amu turned a lot of heads during the Senior Bowl and is well thought of in the scouting community. He's a powerful plugger who can line up at defensive tackle or on the nose.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/tony_pauline/02/20/2012.nfl.draft.top.50.prospects/index.html#ixzz1tYkIpNbZ

SteelerFanInStl
04-30-2012, 06:17 PM
Kiper's a tool. He says that it's a "fantastic draft" and then grades it a B.

GBMelBlount
04-30-2012, 06:36 PM
11. David DeCastro, G, Stanford -- Andrew Luck's top blocker has been the dominant force on Stanford's offensive line the past two seasons. He's rightfully being compared to All Pro Steve Hutchinson and offers potential in a variety of NFL blocking schemes.

17. Mike Adams, T, Ohio State -- Adams returned to the Buckeye lineup after missing seven games last season due to suspension, then played inspired football. He's a terrific pass-protector at 330 pounds, with the strength to overwhelm defenders while run blocking.

40. Alameda Ta'amu, DL, Washington -- Ta'amu turned a lot of heads during the Senior Bowl and is well thought of in the scouting community. He's a powerful plugger who can line up at defensive tackle or on the nose.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/tony_pauline/02/20/2012.nfl.draft.top.50.prospects/index.html#ixzz1tYkIpNbZ

Yep, I just can't imagine us having done much better.

We nailed our biggest needs Offensive line, NT & ILB at great values in in the first four rounds and added an explosive and versatile running back in the 5th.

I hate to be a homer like this but I am usually not very happy with most of our drafts...not this one.

T

Polamalu Princess
04-30-2012, 07:59 PM
I give it a grade A. I was very pleased with this years draft.

SteelGhost
04-30-2012, 09:29 PM
Very solid draft IMHO, I'm very happy they picked 2 great O linemen to protect Big Ben and the heir apparent to Casey :thumbsup:

Boomerang
05-01-2012, 03:30 AM
Good draft for us especially the OL

PalmerSteel
05-02-2012, 11:01 AM
no one can predict the future but this draft is exactly why we have to trust the top brass and know year in and year out we compete for more championships than any other team, period, because they are the best. never rebuilding, just constantly retooling and getting that great mix of talent vs. age vs. experience. love it.

suitanim
05-02-2012, 11:56 AM
Hate to pollute this thread with anything Browns, but I've had numerous discussions with their fans, and it's pretty much gone like this:

"Browns took a 2nd round QB in the first, a 3rd rd OT, in the second, an UDFA DT in the 3rd, and a 6th round WR in the 4th, while the Steelers stole a top 15 talent at 24, stole a Rd 1 OT in the late second, and stole a second Rd NT in the 4th. There's a REASON the Steelers play for Championships and the Browns are always selecting in the top 5."