PDA

View Full Version : Ta'amu

YoungMoneyFam
04-28-2012, 11:42 AM
This guy could be awesome. This draft is coming together GREAT

Galax Steeler
04-28-2012, 11:44 AM
I love the pick what a draft this has become.

86WARD
04-28-2012, 11:44 AM
http://gridironfans.com/forums/images/smilies/nfl-fans/punkrocker.gif

FUCK YEAH!

http://gridironfans.com/forums/images/smilies/nfl-fans/2bang9hj.gif

stillers4me
04-28-2012, 11:45 AM
Yes yes yes!!!

I was hoping this would happen and went to bed last night wondering if we would make this move to get him!!!!

stillers4me
04-28-2012, 11:46 AM
Ken Laird‏@Ken_Laird

Alameda Ta'amu, 6'2 1/2", 348 lbs, pronounced "al-uh-MEE-duh tah-AH-moo"
Pal la ma loo....... :lol:

GBMelBlount
04-28-2012, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by El-Gonzo Jackson

I hope we get one on Saturday. Didn't think Taamu would still be there, but should be one there in fourth. Could trade up with a 7th and get who we want

GBMelBlount
I would have no problem if we used a 7th to move up and get Taamu or just the best available at our pick.

With a solid NT I would give us a hands down "A" grade through 4 rounds.

Please, no punters yet....

Wow, great call GBMelBlount! :grin:

YoungMoneyFam
04-28-2012, 11:48 AM
Does anyone know what we gave up in order to trade up?

Bluecoat96
04-28-2012, 11:49 AM

I think it was just a 6th rounder.

GBMelBlount
04-28-2012, 11:50 AM

Hopefully a 6th or 7th. That is probably why we waited til closer to our pick.

JayC
04-28-2012, 11:50 AM
Does anyone know what we gave up in order to trade up?6th and swap 4th

YoungMoneyFam
04-28-2012, 11:54 AM
6th and swap 4th

Ill take it. I like this pick a lot and think he can put some pressure on Hampton right away.

Godfather
Best draft in a long time. This is amazing. We addressed critical, immediate needs with players who were an absolute steal at their draft positions.

86WARD

4 and 6...

st33lersguy
04-28-2012, 11:56 AM
I thought this guy would be gone by the Steelers 2nd round pick. How the hell did he make it to the 4th round. Excellent pick

steeldevil
04-28-2012, 11:59 AM
I thought this guy would be gone by the Steelers 2nd round pick. How the hell did he make it to the 4th round. Excellent pick

Amazing how the Steelers know what they are doing huh?

Happy now?

stillers4me
04-28-2012, 12:01 PM
Scott Brown‏@ScottBrown_Trib
Mitchell said he doesn't know if Casey Hampton will be healthy enough to open season on 53-man roster. "No one knows but Casey."

The Duke
04-28-2012, 12:03 PM
heck yeah!

best news to wake up to :chuckle:

stillers4me
04-28-2012, 12:09 PM
James C Wexell‏@jimwexell
Sounding every bit like a Casey Hampton kind of guy, Ta'amu instead said he's looking forward to meeting Troy. "To play next to him ... "

ShutDown24
04-28-2012, 12:10 PM
Very excited.

I still won't sleep on McLendon winning the job if Casey is out, but I'm excited to see what the staff can mold Ta'amu into.

stillers4me
04-28-2012, 12:10 PM
Scott Brown‏@ScottBrown_Trib
Ta'amu is a Washington native but..."I was rooting for the Steelers when the Seahawks went to the Super Bowl."

Just ensuring that DeCastro gets to pay for the expensive meals. Smart dude. :lol:

Godfather
04-28-2012, 12:12 PM
Very excited.

I still won't sleep on McLendon winning the job if Casey is out, but I'm excited to see what the staff can mold Ta'amu into.

McLendon could be the guy for a couple of years with Ta'amu as the long term answer. That will also give Ta'amu time to grow a proper hairstyle.

JayC
04-28-2012, 12:32 PM
yeah great draft as it stands now. im still stoked we somehow got decastro

tube517
04-28-2012, 12:46 PM
wow what a draft!

steelreserve
04-28-2012, 01:12 PM
I don't think I've been this excited about the results of a draft in many years. Now all we need is the obligatory 5th-round DB or DE who ends up on the practice squad and later signs with Carolina, and we can call it a day. The one remaining thing I'd like to see us do is take a shot at a decent kicker. But even if we traded the rest of our picks for booze, I'm happy with what we have already.

O'Malley
04-28-2012, 01:21 PM
I don't think I've been this excited about the results of a draft in many years. Now all we need is the obligatory 5th-round DB or DE who ends up on the practice squad and later signs with Carolina, and we can call it a day. The one remaining thing I'd like to see us do is take a shot at a decent kicker. But even if we traded the rest of our picks for booze, I'm happy with what we have already.

I have to agree!! This draft has worked out like clock work.. They have adressed holes and filled them with great talent IMO. The Adams pick IMO is a steal.. The kid smoked weed, in college.. Wow over 50% of college athletes smoke weed.. As long as he realizes he is a NFL player and that doesn't fly anymore I am excited about what he can bring to the table.. Can't wait for this to all come together and see these guys out competing for a starting job.. As for Ben.. How could this not help him? DeCastro IMO could step in right now and start.. Adams should be able to as well.. Can't wait to see how it all pans out! Maybe Ben will have more then two seconds before he has to scramble and buy time to get to his third or fourth read now!!!!

As for Ta'amu... He adds depth at NT and should either motivate McLendon, or who knows he may come right out the gate and earn the spot, stranger things have happen!

GodfatherofSoul
04-28-2012, 02:27 PM
Looks like we've got a new "Pittsburgh West"

Steeldude
04-28-2012, 03:09 PM
As the game progresses, has a tendency to get too high out of his stance and can be handled by a single blocker, can be washed out of plays when he gets too upright, loses strength and becomes a non-factor versus the run... Gives an inconsistent effort in pursuit and lacks the foot speed to chase down ball carriers, lacks ideal range closing from the backside... Gets too heavy, weight has fluctuated and he has been as heavy as 390 lbs. and has played at 360 lbs., needs to remain dedicated to weight management and extra conditioning... Minor durability concerns, suffered a hairline fracture in his foot as a senior in high school... Started 2011 as a possible first rounder; disappointing season could drop him to third round or lower... Had a terrible bowl game against Baylor, struggled to get off blocks and couldn't control the middle of the line which was gashed by the Bears to the tune of 482 rush yards en route to 67 points

IMO, he sounds more like he is just a fat person rather than a good NT. All remains to be seen.

Psycho Ward 86
04-28-2012, 03:27 PM
IMO, he sounds more like he is just a fat person rather than a good NT. All remains to be seen.

based on one scouting report. John Mitchell said almost the complete opposite about most of that paragraph and he is short on compliments and much more credible than any of us.

steelreserve
04-28-2012, 03:28 PM

Yeah, the scouting reports did not sound that flattering, but hopefully the coaches at this level can break him of some of his bad habits. The mere fact that we even TRIED to get a NT after all these years has me excited.

X-Terminator
04-28-2012, 03:46 PM

That's why he slipped to the 4th round when many had him listed as a 2nd round pick. So there's a good chance he'll end up flaming out or being a career backup, but for a 4th rounder, who really cares if he does?

Steeldude
04-28-2012, 03:50 PM
IMO, Chapman would have been the better pick. I am just giving my opinion on the pick. I know many on here feel every pick made is the best ever.

One thing I do find puzzling about him is his strength. How can he only bench 335lbs? Perhaps it was a typo, but if not doesn't that seem very low for a person his size? I am not suggesting it will make him useless, but it is odd, IMO.

X-Terminator
04-28-2012, 03:53 PM
IMO, Chapman would have been the better pick. I am just giving my opinion on the pick. I know many on here feel every pick made is the best ever

Not saying that. There are others who agree that Chapman would have been the better pick. I just take later-round picks for what they are - guys that you hope pan out, but more often than not end up being washouts. There aren't many Antonio Browns out there.

Steeldude
04-28-2012, 04:01 PM
True, but it makes the board more interesting when all of the draft picks are discussed.

Austin87
04-28-2012, 04:09 PM
IMO, Chapman would have been the better pick.

I have to agree with you here, IMO Chapman is the better player. We'll have to wait and see how things turn out though. I'm happy about the pick, I'm just surprised that they choose Ta'amu over Chapman.

Psycho Ward 86
04-28-2012, 04:54 PM
Fun fact: Decastro was lined up against Alameda Ta'amu for most of the game that Stanford rushed for a school record 446 yards against the Huskies (65-21 victory). Stanford OC Bloomgren credits him for taking him out of the game.

...hope the fact that they are on the same team now will bring a lot of competitive energy out of both of them.
Link: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/ride-of-a-lifetime-decastros-path-to-steelers-an-odd-one-633436/?p=0

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-28-2012, 06:34 PM
Wow, great call GBMelBlount! :grin:I like how u think.:amen:

I think we got the best pure NT in the draft. I know the Por And Chapman fans will think otherwise, but I think he can start this year, then replace Hampton in 2013

Steeldude
04-28-2012, 07:08 PM
Fun fact: Decastro was lined up against Alameda Ta'amu for most of the game that Stanford rushed for a school record 446 yards against the Huskies (65-21 victory). Stanford OC Bloomgren credits him for taking him out of the game.

...hope the fact that they are on the same team now will bring a lot of competitive energy out of both of them.
Link: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/ride-of-a-lifetime-decastros-path-to-steelers-an-odd-one-633436/?p=0

Also, he had a terrible bowl game against Baylor, reportedly struggled to get off blocks and couldn't control the middle of the line which was gashed by the Bears to the tune of 482 rush yards en route to 67 points. That is a lot of yards to give up on the ground.

Here is the entire bowl game if anyone is interested in watching it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDJOGZj7dEI

Hoping for the best though.

I am still surprised that he can only bench 335.

Chidi29
04-28-2012, 09:58 PM
I watched one game of him and came away impressed. Some have questioned his conditioning but when I watched him against Nebraska, he was on the field for nearly every snap vs a run heavy, option offense. He's a strong guy who gets penetration vs the run and can force plays East/West.

My biggest issue with him is managing his weight, but I'll have that concern with any big ugly, and getting his arms consistently extended. He would sometimes short-arm it and get washed out of the play.

It didn't sound like Chapman was in the Steelers' plans. Just listening to Colbert, he said that he felt Ta'amu was the last NT left on the board. Chapman's medical could have taken him off of our board.

GBMelBlount
04-28-2012, 10:19 PM
I like how u think.:amen:

I think we got the best pure NT in the draft. I know the Por And Chapman fans will think otherwise, but I think he can start this year, then replace Hampton in 2013

Of course it was actually YOUR good call. :clap2:

I would have been ecstatic with Chapman as well.

It was a judgment call. Simple as that.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-29-2012, 12:41 AM
Also, he had a terrible bowl game against Baylor, reportedly struggled to get off blocks and couldn't control the middle of the line which was gashed by the Bears to the tune of 482 rush yards en route to 67 points. That is a lot of yards to give up on the ground.

Here is the entire bowl game if anyone is interested in watching it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDJOGZj7dEI

Hoping for the best though.

I am still surprised that he can only bench 335.

Dude, I don't normally have any issue with you...but what is with your obsession with Taamu and the bench press of 335?

He put up 35 reps at the combine. That was 5th best of any d tackles at the combine. He's obviously been to the weight room. chapman only put up 29 reps at his pro day.

Steeldude
04-29-2012, 12:57 AM
Dude, I don't normally have any issue with you...but what is with your obsession with Taamu and the bench press of 335?

He put up 35 reps at the combine. That was 5th best of any d tackles at the combine. He's obviously been to the weight room.

I didn't necessarily say I had a problem with it. I am surprised by how low the number was in relation to his size. He can't even bench his own weight? He only benches 20 more pounds than me. Also, due to his position wouldn't a good bench be better than a lower one?

In my other post I hinted at it possibly being a typo

steelreserve
04-29-2012, 03:35 AM
I didn't necessarily say I had a problem with it. I am surprised by how low the number was in relation to his size. He can't even bench his own weight? He only benches 20 more pounds than me. Also, due to his position wouldn't a good bench be better than a lower one?

Dude, I'm much more impressed with his bench-press ability than yours. You're the fucking Hulk; you can do better than that.

ShutDown24
04-29-2012, 03:46 AM

I saw that game. DeCastro DESTROYED Ta'amu on nearly every snap.

ShutDown24
04-29-2012, 04:00 AM
IMO, Chapman would have been the better pick. I am just giving my opinion on the pick. I know many on here feel every pick made is the best ever.

One thing I do find puzzling about him is his strength. How can he only bench 335lbs? Perhaps it was a typo, but if not doesn't that seem very low for a person his size? I am not suggesting it will make him useless, but it is odd, IMO.

Ta'amu does have some issues. And I have felt like Chapman is the much better player all along. But if the staff felt like Ta'amu is the better fit I'm not going to take serious issue with it.

Our newest nose tackle is definitely inconsistent, but he does have some serious skills. He's not just some obese guy off the street. I saw flashes of very special play from Ta'amu. It wasn't there often, you definitely had to search but there were times he showed that he could penetrate. And as far as taking on a double team goes - he can handle that. Granted, I think Josh Chapman handles it even better, but if we just focus on Ta'amu handling blocking schemes that will be thrown his way in our 34 he should be fine. Now - the one thing I will say is I think Ta'amu needs some serious coaching. At Washington there were drives where he would absolutely disappear. He seems like a streaky guy. If a drive starts off poorly for him, it generally didn't improve. I don't know if that is a commentary on his attitude/frustration level or what - but that stood out to me. Perhaps that is where a guy like McLendon will be valuable. Maybe if Ta'amu is getting a little frustrated out there we run the rotational guy onto the field before it's too late.

So, as I've pointed out Ta'amu has some real flaws. But as a fourth round pick? I'll take it. Because he also has second round talent.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-29-2012, 07:58 AM

In my other post I hinted at it possibly being a typo ok I think we are saying the same thing here. A good bench would be better than a lower one. Taamu benched 35 reps and Chapman benched 29 reps. Both have enough strength to handle the position.

suitanim
04-29-2012, 08:03 AM
I think most of the scouting reports of Ta'amu were evaluating him as a 4-3 DT, and not necessarily a 3-4 NT. I mean, half the evaluations I saw were all about his pass rush skills.

All that matters as far as the Steelers NT is concerned is can he (with coaching) consistently occupy more than one blocker? He's got the body for it, and he's no weakling. The Steelers think he's a Hampton clone, and I tend to agree with them at this point....

Edman
04-29-2012, 08:20 AM
Ta'amu played in a 4-3 in Washington, but when you look at his play, plays more like a 3-4 Nose Tackle/D-End. He tied up space instead of doing real pass rushing. That's why he didn't grade so high and that's why the Steelers took a shot on him.

ALLD
04-29-2012, 08:43 AM
He has the capability to do exactly what the Steelers need specifically. Hampton is not asked to sack the QB, but instead take up space and let the LBs do their job. I think there is more concern about Ta's knees and shoulder as reported, than his ability to fit into our system. Anything he is lacking can be taught.

Psycho Ward 86
04-29-2012, 11:07 AM
Watching how Decastro HANDLED Taamu in college, i think you guys are forgetting what this could mean for our rivalry against the Ravens. 2 would-be probowlers on Haloti Ngata? This is really going to help against some of those 3-4 defenses.

BigNastyDefense
04-29-2012, 11:14 AM
I really, really like the pick.

A lot of the scouting reports I feel look at him from a 4-3 DT scheme than a 3-4 NT scheme. His job as the NT in this scheme to to occupy two blockers. Not make a bunch of tackles and sack the quarterback. He has the body for it, and I think he has the skill for it...it's just going to take coaching, and the Steelers have great coaching.

He's a fourth round pick with second round talent. That's a steal. If he does wash out, he was just a fourth rounder. If he does become the starter at the nose tackle position for eight to ten years, then we got great value with a fourth round pick. It's a low risk-high reward pick in my opinion.

Steeltreal
04-29-2012, 11:56 AM
http://www.youtube.com/embed/yWOOA2V1k1k

He'd better get double teamed because he dominated in 1on1's in this game vs Wash St.

Edman
04-29-2012, 06:25 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWOMTBp5M-Q

I know. It's a Andrew Luck Highlight, but here is a better glimpse of DeCastro and Ta'amu in the same game.

DeCastro = 52
Taamu = 74

SteelGhost
04-30-2012, 10:18 PM
Yeah, the scouting reports did not sound that flattering, but hopefully the coaches at this level can break him of some of his bad habits. The mere fact that we even TRIED to get a NT after all these years has me excited.

Yep, I trust LeBeau to do a great job with Ta'amu, finally we've got a NT !

Devilsdancefloor
04-30-2012, 10:43 PM
Ken Laird‏@Ken_Laird

glad john madden is retired

zulater
05-01-2012, 12:07 AM
I trust the Steelers to know their needs better and to have more familiarity and information on the available players than any of us. Sure they'll miss on their share. But the record speaks for itself. They're deserving of my benefit of the doubt. I believe they addressed their needs pretty well with this draft. In fact I would say the evidence suggests that they feel they got lucky in how things shook out and who fell to them. And that they traded up for Ta'amu in the 4th round tells me he's a better fit for the Steelers than Chapman would have been. I like the pick.

Chidi29
05-01-2012, 12:19 AM
I trust the Steelers to know their needs better and to have more familiarity and information on the available players than any of us. Sure they'll miss on their share. But the record speaks for itself. They're deserving of my benefit of the doubt. I believe they addressed their needs pretty well with this draft. In fact I would say the evidence suggests that they feel they got lucky in how things shook out and who fell to them. And that they traded up for Ta'amu in the 4th round tells me he's a better fit for the Steelers than Chapman would have been. I like the pick.

Like I said yesterday, I don't think Chapman was even an option for us. My guess is that he was a medical red flag. Check out Colbert's comments.

there were only four or five nose tackle types that were available and he was the last man standing. We felt that when you look at that and you look at what’s behind him, sometimes you have to trade up to secure him. We didn’t feel that we reached for him, but we knew behind him there probably weren’t a lot of options. We wanted to secure him and we did.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-01-2012, 09:51 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWOMTBp5M-Q

I know. It's a Andrew Luck Highlight, but here is a better glimpse of DeCastro and Ta'amu in the same game.

DeCastro = 52
Taamu = 74

Good vid. Ta'amu is what I expect. He walks back the O lineman into the pocket at 1:00 mark of that, they even drop him in coverage on a zone blitz at the 2:00 mark and at 2:20 he drives back the defender on goal line play action.

He's a load of a guy, with nimble feet as he actually uses a spin move a few times on pass rush, but will learn to play 2 gap and occupy blockers more than one gap and get up the field like in that video. He may even start this season at some point.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-01-2012, 09:57 AM
22. Alameda Ta'amu, NT, Washington. After a great week of practice at the Senior Bowl, Ta'amu's name is on the lips of every NFL team that plays a 3-4 defense and needs a physically dominant nose tackle.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-02-13/2012-nfl-draft-mock-prospects-lsu-alabama-stanford#ixzz1td7KDTRD

Alameda Ta'amu/DT/Washington: If scouts were hoping to be wowed by Ta'amu, all they need to due is watch the Senior Bowl game film. The big defensive tackle was dominant every time he lined up and was a constant nuisance for opponents. He collapsed the pocket on several occasions, overpowering opponents to make plays behind the line of scrimmage or force the action. His quarterback pressure at the end of the first half ended what looked to be a potential scoring drive for the South. In the second half the South was forced to double team Ta'amu in the attempt to slow him down.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/tony_pauline/01/28/senior-bowl-risers-and-sliders/index.html#ixzz1td7Y0YkN

suitanim
05-01-2012, 10:01 AM
And that wasn't against Washington State or Colorado, that was an all-star game playing against top college talent.

Shows what kind of progress he made after just a week or so of being coached up...

SteelMember
05-01-2012, 10:54 AM
Ken Laird‏@Ken_Laird

"Dats where day keep da nuclear wessels? :chuckle:

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQMSZMRHA878FpIYfTiclCeMLXrdvAjA 2rwdCA8ctM_UaJ309D1Qd4OwbHJaQ

Steeldude
05-01-2012, 01:10 PM
22. Alameda Ta'amu, NT, Washington. After a great week of practice at the Senior Bowl, Ta'amu's name is on the lips of every NFL team that plays a 3-4 defense and needs a physically dominant nose tackle.

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2012-02-13/2012-nfl-draft-mock-prospects-lsu-alabama-stanford#ixzz1td7KDTRD

Alameda Ta'amu/DT/Washington: If scouts were hoping to be wowed by Ta'amu, all they need to due is watch the Senior Bowl game film. The big defensive tackle was dominant every time he lined up and was a constant nuisance for opponents. He collapsed the pocket on several occasions, overpowering opponents to make plays behind the line of scrimmage or force the action. His quarterback pressure at the end of the first half ended what looked to be a potential scoring drive for the South. In the second half the South was forced to double team Ta'amu in the attempt to slow him down.

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/tony_pauline/01/28/senior-bowl-risers-and-sliders/index.html#ixzz1td7Y0YkN

Wasn't that out of a 4-3 rather than a 3-4?

sgtrobo
05-04-2012, 07:57 PM

335 is probably a typo. If he hits 35@225, he's doing more than 335 for a single rep.

watch Nebraska 2010 Bowl game. He needs conditioning and consistent pad level, and we'll all look back and wonder how such a dominant NT fell to the 4th.

of note, half a decade ago, we spent a 6th to move up in the 4th to grab a punter. This year we spent a 6th to move up in the 4th to grab our next "franchise" NT. I like our progress. :P

Craic
05-05-2012, 12:23 AM
of note, half a decade ago, we spent a 6th to move up in the 4th to grab a punter. This year we spent a 6th to move up in the 4th to grab our next "franchise" NT. I like our progress. :P

If you remember the punters we had before that pick...I don't fault spending a sixth to get a punter in the fourth at all. Frankly, I was tired of 35-45 yard punts. Anyway, as far as I'm concerned, 4-7 rounds are pics to take flyers at.... Which it seems may be the case with this guy. He may be great, or he may fail out. Either way, it's not a real loss when it comes to draft picks.

suitanim
05-05-2012, 06:46 AM
Punters CAN be game changers, Look at SF last year...

Bluecoat96
05-05-2012, 06:55 AM
Punters CAN be game changers, Look at SF last year...

Andy Lee is a MONSTER punter. I remember we tried to get him the year we ended up drafting Sepulveda.

El-Gonzo Jackson
05-05-2012, 08:24 AM

They played a 4-3 at Washington yes. They also played a 4-3 at Senior Bowl. What is your point??

Do you think he cant be a NT because he played in a 4-3 at Washington and the post season bowl game.?

JayC
05-06-2012, 10:13 AM
and he signed

ShutDown24
05-06-2012, 10:45 AM
Andy Lee is a MONSTER punter. I remember we tried to get him the year we ended up drafting Sepulveda.

I think about that way more than I should. At least a couple times a season I think about how many more wins Andy Lee might have brought us - seriously.