PDA

View Full Version : SEAN SPENCE

Devilsdancefloor
04-27-2012, 10:22 PM
Is he OLB or Will LB?? i dont know much about him

steeldevil
04-27-2012, 10:28 PM
I dont think he has a set position right now. Have already seen speculation we may try to make him a safety.

tube517
04-27-2012, 10:37 PM
Butler says he'll play inside

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Third-Round-Press-Conference-Transcript/de9c9668-0dff-43cb-bc67-5d69eda3e6cc

Is Sean Spence and inside or outside linebacker?

He is going to be inside. They (Miami) have played in a 4-3 front, but it’s a different front than ours. We see him as an inside linebacker.

JayC
04-27-2012, 10:47 PM
ILB it is. he needs to add some bulk for sure.

Aussie_steeler
04-27-2012, 11:12 PM
ILB it is. he needs to add some bulk for sure.[/QUOTE

I think Butler sums it up best

[QUOTE]We cover our linebackers up pretty good. What I mean by that is, we let them scrape and run to football a little bit more instead of coming downhill and taking on isos. The day of the iso with the middle linebacker is almost gone. Everybody is using tight ends as fullbacks and sometimes they use them when trying to lead and sometimes they don’t. A lot of stuff today is mis-direction and trying to fool you or out-number you one way and then give you a different look coming back the other way. A lot of that requires the ability to read from the linebackers now-a-days, not so much to get down and stuff a hole. Sometimes you have to do it on the goal line when you have to take on a big running back, but we’re taking on Ray Rice, we’re not taking on Jerome Bettis anymore.

He will be required to cover and chase more than take on blocks.

I still see him as a Hybrid Troy Polamalu / Lawrence Timmons. Not quite each but somewhere in between.

tube517
04-27-2012, 11:19 PM
[QUOTE=JayC;282258]ILB it is. he needs to add some bulk for sure.[/QUOTE

I think Butler sums it up best

He will be required to cover and chase more than take on blocks.

I still see him as a Hybrid Troy Polamalu / Lawrence Timmons. Not quite each but somewhere in between.

Aussie, you may be on to something. Maybe they envision him in that "rover" position where Troy played and Timmons took over in recent years.

Steeldude
04-27-2012, 11:19 PM
I think he will be used as an ILB. He excels in short zone coverage.

I doubt he will be used as a safety. He doesn't quite have the speed.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-28-2012, 01:49 AM
He's like Vilna or Beason, smaller guy but a tackling machine. Hope we get the NT to help him out in the 4th

lilyoder6
04-28-2012, 03:13 AM
and u know spence is an athlete.. da u dont recruit players that are athlete's lol.. i like the speed we have in the middle with him growing and timmons.. going to be interesting

Psycho Ward 86
04-28-2012, 02:51 PM
Butler says Timmons and Foote are still definitely the starters

X-Terminator
04-28-2012, 03:50 PM
Well then we're going to have problems, because I doubt Foote will all of a sudden turn into James Farrior. He is not good in space and gets pushed around too easily. So I'm hoping Sly or Spence plays so well that they give the coaches no choice but to play them more often.

Steeldude
04-28-2012, 03:59 PM
Butler says Timmons and Foote are still definitely the starters

That's bad news. Is Foote taking Farrior's spot?

Psycho Ward 86
04-28-2012, 04:44 PM
That's bad news. Is Foote taking Farrior's spot?

i think Butler in his press conference for Sean Spence was hinting at that when he said that he believes Timmons can be one of the best in the league if we keep him at one position on the inside.

ShutDown24
04-29-2012, 05:25 AM
With our defensive line as promising as it is, I really hope Spence can play next to Timmons. Maybe Sly can stay in on first down to assist versus the run. Although, he's not much heavier than Spence himself. I would love to see Spence play to a level that insists he be on the filed. Although, I guess that goes without saying.

suitanim
04-29-2012, 08:16 AM
Reading up on this kid, you can see why the Steelers picked him. He may not be the fastest or biggest guy, but he's supposed to be wicked smart and have uncanny read and recognize skills. He also sounds like a field general, and those are perfect traits to replace Farrior. He plays faster than his clocked speed (and combine speeds will start meaning more to me when the game of football is played in shorts and is 100% a linear north-to-south sport) and has a head for the game and a nose for the ball. I think he'll be a fine addition and will be competing for that ILB spot sooner than we think.

Foote is a suitable back-up, knows his role, knows the assignments, and is rarely out-of-position. But he's just a stop-gap...

IUSteel
04-29-2012, 08:24 AM
... (and combine speeds will start meaning more to me when the game of football is played in shorts and is 100% a linear north-to-south sport)...

Don't give Goodell any ideas...

GBMelBlount
04-29-2012, 08:57 AM
I think he will be used as an ILB. He excels in short zone coverage.

El-Gonzo Jackson

He's like Vilna or Beason, smaller guy but a tackling machine.

If he excels in short zone coverage and is a tackling machine (and has good instincts) is there any reason to not expect him to supplant Foote once he learns the system.