PDA

View Full Version : Let's Talk Character Issues, Steelers select Mike Adams, Ohio State.

Pristas
04-27-2012, 08:14 PM
What say ye? Sounds like this guy was a first round stud, until some character flaws came to light. What happened? What did he do? Has he been to Milledgeville, Ga?

SCSTILLER
04-27-2012, 08:20 PM
What say ye? Sounds like this guy was a first round stud, until some character flaws came to light. What happened? What did he do? Has he been to Milledgeville, Ga?

Supposedly Mary Jane got in touch with him. The ESPN announcers stated that he and his agent sent a letter to all the NFL teams stating that he regrets his decisions and is willing to give up some of his signing bonus as proof that he has learned from his mistakes. Now, can you believe the ESPN announcers?

If what ESPN is saying and he truly is sorry for his past actions, then I am stoked (sorry, bad choice of words in talking about Adams) about this pick. Our Oline needs alot of help and to be able to snag a first round prospect in the late second round is huge.

polamalubeast
04-27-2012, 08:22 PM
Not forget that Santonio Holmes had helped the Steelers to win the super bowl in 2008

smokin3000gt
04-27-2012, 08:25 PM
I think this whole smoking dope thing has been blown WAY out of purportion..

zulater
04-27-2012, 08:27 PM
Even without the reefer issues I wouldn't be thrilled with this pick. I just don't think this guy has what it takes to be a quality starter in the NFL. Plus I think we've already invested enough on the o-line. Add that we have more glaring needs on defense.

Oh well, not my decision to make. I hope I'm wrong and he's better than what i think he'll be.

Pristas
04-27-2012, 08:28 PM
I just read where he had taken some $$$ in violation of NCAA rules. Maybe that was the second strike they talked about...

JayC
04-27-2012, 08:29 PM
i hope he can use his poor bench reps and 'bad character' concerns to motivate him

fansince'76
04-27-2012, 08:30 PM
I just read where he had taken some $$$ in violation of NCAA rules. Maybe that was the second strike they talked about...

They ALL do. Sounds like he just got caught.

steeldevil
04-27-2012, 08:33 PM
They ALL do. Sounds like he just got caught.

A whole lot of them smoke weed too...

Steeltreal
04-27-2012, 08:39 PM
Personally think weed is a great workout motivator , puff puff pump

GBMelBlount
04-27-2012, 08:44 PM
i hope he can use his poor bench reps and 'bad character' concerns to motivate him

Dear lord, please give this bench press stuff a rest. If that was all there was to it Troy would be third string and Legursky would be all pro.

...and regardless I am sure the strength and conditioning coach will be working closely with him.

wyn50
04-27-2012, 09:16 PM
He will just have a microscope over him at all times. Hope it works out. He has good potential.

Godfather
04-27-2012, 09:18 PM
I don't think weed is a character issue. But it is a judgment issue.

He came up dirty at the combine. Not a random test, but a major NFL event whose date was known months in advance. That's the part that worries me.

JayC
04-27-2012, 09:19 PM
Dear lord, please give this bench press stuff a rest. If that was all there was to it Troy would be third string and Legursky would be all pro.

...and regardless I am sure the strength and conditioning coach will be working closely with him.

dear lord yourself. i was actually done talking about it but i should be allowed to bring it up all i want as this is a public message board and it's a concern about his dedication to me :scratchchin:, right? guess not. i guess you plan on dear lording everyone that brings up his weed smoking over the next few months.

86WARD
04-27-2012, 09:19 PM
weed. no big deal...lol...

get with the times.

Godfather
04-27-2012, 09:38 PM
weed. no big deal...lol...

get with the times.

I don't care that he tokes. Neither does team management.

Problem is the NFL does care. And he's already in the drug program before he plays a down. If he comes up dirty again we lose him for four games. After that it's a full year.

Hopefully he stays out of trouble from now on.

Steeldude
04-27-2012, 09:58 PM

The lack of reps is due to his long arms. The longer your arms the more difficult it is to do high reps.

That being said, I do not like the pick. My guess is the Steelers were looking for a bargain. That's if the letter his agent said was true about taking a cut in his signing bonus because of testing positive.

Edman
04-27-2012, 10:10 PM
The Decastro pick didn't thrill me and this one is even worse. Adams really reeks of little "2nd round project" like Jason Worilds (And we all know how he's panning out).

This hasn't exactly been an amazing draft. Great. O-Line. But building a better O-Line isn't going to make Ben play better or take less risk.

Godfather
04-27-2012, 10:36 PM
The Decastro pick didn't thrill me and this one is even worse. Adams really reeks of little "2nd round project" like Jason Worilds (And we all know how he's panning out).

This hasn't exactly been an amazing draft. Great. O-Line. But building a better O-Line isn't going to make Ben play better or take less risk.

True, but we might be better at opening holes for our running backs and picking up short yardage situations.

stillers4me
04-27-2012, 11:04 PM
“Every pick is a risk, no question about it,” Colbert said. “With this being public information and him making it that type of situation, there is probably more of a risk than we are usually comfortable taking. Because he was forthcoming and met our criteria, we are comfortable with taking the risk. “These are young people. Young people make mistakes. If you are proactive in trying to correct those mistakes, I think you have to give that consideration, especially the way he personally sought us out. We didn't call him, he called us. Had he not called us, this may not have occurred.”

http://burgh.us/e5g

steelreserve
04-27-2012, 11:24 PM
Well, he certainly sounds like he's approaching it better than a lot of guys. Hopefully he learned his lesson. It's certainly better than "Yeah I smoke weed, who gives a f***, you pecker?" which is the attitude a lot of guys take.

7willBheaven
04-27-2012, 11:33 PM

SMH

steelerdude15
04-28-2012, 12:40 AM
SMH

That's what I'm saying. We pick up the best guard in the draft and guard was the position we needed to upgrade the most...

Aussie_steeler
04-28-2012, 01:36 AM

I am gobsmacked that you think the DeCastro pick is a bad one. Best OG prospect in 10 years falls to a team in desperate need of a OG.

Would love to hear your rationale as to why.

Worilds is a one trick speed rush pony. He is a 2nd round project. Adams has a comprehensive resume against quality DE's (some that are already in the NFL). His body of work suggest first round talent. He fell because of pot smoking and then not telling the truth.

I for one am absolutely, positively stoked about the talent that will be added to the roster via the first three picks.

Building a better O line will make Big Ben play better IMO. When given time Ben is lethal IMO.

I am happy to disagree with your assessments. I think the draft has been great.

What picks should have been made in your opinion?

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-28-2012, 01:46 AM
The lack of bench reps and soft play speaks to motivation I think. At least he is a 2nd round pick with 1st round talent and 4th round motivation. Not any more lazy than Max Starks.

Steeldude
04-28-2012, 02:24 AM

Edman, who were you hoping would be picked with the first 2 picks?

Aussie_steeler
04-28-2012, 03:20 AM
Edman, who were you hoping would be picked with the first 2 picks?

I am guessing

1. 24 Brock Osweiler
2. 56 Russell Wilson
3. 88 Nick Foles

Galax Steeler
04-28-2012, 06:04 AM

:huh:

zulater
04-28-2012, 07:06 AM

So your problem isn't with Decastro, it's just that you think Ben is too set in his ways and even the best offensive line in the world wouldn't make Ben any better of a quarterback?

Presuming I'm interpreting that correctly, I couldn't disagree more. Yeah I know Ben brings some of the sacks on himself. But I think that's partly correctable with a stronger emphasis on eliminating negative plays. To me that's why the whole new offensive coordinator thing came about this offseason. But also I think people tend to place too much blame on Ben for what to me has been clearly inferior pass protection for the past 5 seasons. I watch other games and other quarterbacks, and I don't think there's another quality team over the past half decade who's pocket collapses as fast or as often as the Steelers tends to do. Ben is way too often being forced out of the pocket inside 2 seconds. If you watched Super Bowl 43 you know that Ben has the ability to stand in the pocket and get to his 4th read. That is when he actually has a pocket to begin with.

My own opinion is that if Ben is given consistently better pass protection he'll take that next leap to unqualified greatness. By unqualified I mean there'll be no need for any qualifiers when you put the word elite in the same sentence with Ben. I.E. Ben's great but ....

Also Decastro is going to improve our running game, and help make this a complete offense again. No longer will 3rd and 2 be an automatic passing down.

How would that not help Ben?

stillers4me
04-28-2012, 07:35 AM
Me...there's not too much I'd change about Ben. I'm hoping he will have plenty of time to do his thing now...and stay in one piece to boot. He has got to be thrilled about what has taken place. We not only have opened up holes for the running game but have given him the time to find our outstanding stable pf receivers....what more could he (or we) ask for???

ShutDown24
04-28-2012, 07:39 AM

:frusty:

zulater
04-28-2012, 08:11 AM
One thing I can gather from this pick. I think this closes the door on Max Stark's Steeler career.

I always liked Max. A true gentleman, maybe too much so to ever realize his full potential as a football player in fact? Regardless, he was a big part of recent Steeler history and will always be a Steeler in my book.

atlsteelers
04-28-2012, 08:19 AM
I hope mike adams is okay taking a pay cut to play for the steelers after playing at tatoo u.

ALLD
04-28-2012, 08:22 AM
The DeCastro pick was Karma for being beat by Tebow in the playoffs. Now Adams will either be a B+ success or a complete failure F grade waste of pick. Maybe not as bad as the WR we took in the second round a couple of seasons ago. Hopefully he will at least add depth right away and some of the locker room leaders will help arrange his priorities. Definitely a gamble, but not as bad as what the Rams did in the second yesterday. They are going to have team chaos.

ShutDown24
04-28-2012, 08:22 AM
One thing I can gather from this pick. I think this closes the door on Max Stark's Steeler career.

I always liked Max. A true gentleman, maybe too much so to ever realize his full potential as a football player in fact? Regardless, he was a big part of recent Steeler history and will always be a Steeler in my book.

I would have to agree.

I walked right by Max last June in the Cultural District and the dude was awesome. He was just standing there leaning against a building talking up some fan. It took me a minute to realize who he was and as we walked by I could tell he noticed me staring at him. He gave me a head nod and smile and I returned it, rather dumbfoundedly. I'll always have a soft spot for Max because of that moment haha. Talk about a big guy... He towered over everything. I always thought he was one hell of a right tackle. But I think it's time to move on. I'd still rather have him than John Scott, though.

SteelerFanInStl
04-28-2012, 08:39 AM

More negativity from you. Who would've thought?

TMC
04-28-2012, 10:41 AM
When the reports of the failed drug test at the combine came out, scuttle followed that he failed a drug test as a freshman. Not sure how accurate. He was also suspended 5 games last season as part of the tattoo5 or tattoogate, that helped get his coach in all that hot water. Not so sure he accepted money, but he traded stuff for tattoos. The coverup is what got Tressel dumped.

Then, he has the positive drug test. The real rub, it is said the Steelers asked him if he smoked marijuana at the combine interview and he told them he did not. Then, he fails the drug test. I think the looking them in the eyes and lying to them irked them more. They do not like that shit. They dropped him off the board. Remember, Marvel Smith had a failed drug test in college too. I think they grade them case by case, see how honest they are about it.

Adams asked them to bring him in for an official visit. He called them. He stated he wanted to meet with Coach Tomlin, Mr. Colbert, and Mr. Rooney. He apologized and told them he would do whatever they asked to get a second chance. They gave him stipulations which included going to counseling. He completed all the stipulations prior to the draft. His agent also sent out a letter that stated if teams gave him a chance, he would defer ANY signing bonus for 18 months to prove himself. So, he would not receive a signing bonus until sometime in 2013 or 2014. The only risk is his salary, which is not guaranteed. It is like adding a street free agent (when you look at cost) and if he does not perform, you move along. It limits the financial risk. They basically just gave up the draft slot to get him and that was their risk.

fansince'76
04-28-2012, 10:46 AM

Maybe we should've traded up to take Weeden.

Seriously though, have you not watched the abomination passed off as an offensive line that the Steelers have fielded for the last six years?

stillers4me
04-28-2012, 11:13 AM
He has great size and long arms,” said offensive line coach Sean Kugler. “He can bend for a guy his size. He has a lot of length to him, and that’s important at the tackle position. He’s a physical player and has a size combination that’s hard to beat at the tackle position. He’s going to have to work on his entire game. I wouldn’t say that he’s a finished product. Mike is a willing worker, and I’m excited to get working with him.”

First-round pick David DeCastro is being referred to as a “plug-and-play starter,” and his position is right guard; and Adams is a natural left tackle who will join a group that currently includes presumptive starters Marcus Gilbert (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/team/roster/marcus-gilbert/c8a0688d-c9d4-49c0-9e91-3ea1e40ddde1/) and Willie Colon (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/team/roster/willie-colon/b008d43a-c215-4ae8-adf1-b03abff0a5fe/). Add in Pro Bowl center Maurkice Pouncey (http://www.steelersuniverse.com/team/roster/maurkice-pouncey/9d33439a-ec2b-4a65-a2a2-0b63719b0604/), and the Steelers offensive line has been blessed with a significant injection of talent during the first two days of this draft.

“We’re going to see how things go,” said Kugler. “We want to get the guys in the best spots. Realistically, I don’t want moving parts. It has been more of a necessity for us to have moving parts. We love to have guys at five stable positions and keep them there. We’ll get the right five and see where we go from there.”

And so it has come to pass that Mike Adams has a chance to be one of those five. It can be looked upon as a second chance, or it can be viewed as a last chance. Today, that doesn’t much matter to him.

“Do the things I’m supposed to do. Make the right decisions. Produce on the field. As long as I do the right things I think everything will be OK,” said Adams. “I’m happy to be a Steeler and relieved that it’s all over. I love this organization, and I’m glad to be a part of it.”

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/Adams-given-a-chance-to-live-his-dream/7973e907-4535-4cdc-9d0f-dc88bd50d917

Don't let us down, son. Steelers Nation has proved to be a forgiving bunch, but neither are we fools. And neither is the FO. Ask Santonio how that works.

X-Terminator
04-28-2012, 11:24 AM

See, it's posts like this that frustrates the hell out of me about Steelers fans. I mean, the fans have bitched and moaned about the Steelers ignoring the OL for most of the past decade, myself included. They finally address it by adding some major talent, and you complain? What the hell do you want??? Between Haley and the upgraded OL giving Ben more than a nanosecond to get a pass off, I am more than certain that he will play better and put up big numbers, not to mention keep his body from taking the beating it has over the past 5 years.

Psycho Ward 86
04-28-2012, 11:28 AM

you are crazy dude

YoungMoneyFam
04-28-2012, 11:33 AM
I like all of our picks so far. Our weakness might have just become a strength, but I just hope we grab a NT in the 4th, still a few good ones out there (Chapman and that guy from Washington?)

Psycho Ward 86
04-28-2012, 12:36 PM
Colbert said at the conference that this pick has nothing to do with injury concerns with Colon and they actually wanted him for what he is. If this is true, im really liking what we might have for depth on the O-line

Moose
04-28-2012, 01:01 PM
I'm not too sure on this Adams pick. I have all the faith in the world in the front office and picking players, but this kid smoked marijuana while getting ready for the combine knowing they would be testing !! Sounds like a real whiz kid to me. And him apologizing saying ' I won't do it again' just doesn't make a believer out of me. Hopefully the coaches and vet players will make him understand what future lies ahead for him if he stays clean. 2 out of 3 picks I'm liking so far !!

steelreserve
04-28-2012, 04:45 PM
I'm not too sure on this Adams pick. I have all the faith in the world in the front office and picking players, but this kid smoked marijuana while getting ready for the combine knowing they would be testing !! Sounds like a real whiz kid to me. And him apologizing saying ' I won't do it again' just doesn't make a believer out of me. Hopefully the coaches and vet players will make him understand what future lies ahead for him if he stays clean. 2 out of 3 picks I'm liking so far !!

Who knows, but I don't think this team is often guilty of just ignoring potential off-the-field issues and rolling the dice anyway. If they didn't have a reason to believe he'd shape up, I don't think they'd have done it.

There are times when weed use is a red flag, and there are times when it's a lucky break for some team who gets to draft an obvious star player at half-price. It's happened before not too long ago. Some guy named Woody or Woodley or something like that. Here's hoping that's the direction it breaks.

suitanim
04-29-2012, 07:57 AM
I remember walking around the parking lot during the 2005 draft and, inexplicably, running into a bout 1 in 4 people who HATED the Ben Roethlisberger pick.

Some people just cannot ever be pleased...