PDA

View Full Version : Steelers invest in protection plan for Big Ben

stillers4me
04-27-2012, 06:47 PM
OK, we get it. The Steelers are serious about keeping franchise quarterback Ben Roethlisberger healthy for a long time. It makes sense, right? He's 30 now. You invest $102 million in a guy, you want him to be able to play every down, every game. The Steelers saw what happened to their team last season after Roethlisberger's ankle injury in early December and they didn't like it one bit. As a result, they haven't just asked Roethlisberger to "tweak" his game by taking fewer hits and sacks next season. For the third consecutive year, they have used a high draft choice on an offensive lineman.

Now, that is serious............

read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/ron-cook/team-invests-in-protection-plan-for-big-ben-633301/?p=0

SCSTILLER
04-27-2012, 07:50 PM
And with their second pick they take Mike Adams, talk about investing in protection. Hopefully he can stay away from mary jane and perform to the first round potential that he is.

Edman
04-27-2012, 07:51 PM
The Steelers will try to "protect" Ben as much as they want.

But Ben will play the way he always has. He'll hold onto the ball and take sacks. It's funny how we keep forgetting HOW Ben got his ankle wrecked last season.

This draft so far reeks of knee-jerk and scapegoating.

whodat1
04-27-2012, 07:52 PM
We might have an aging defense, but with these two picks, Gilbert & Pouncy, we have one of the youngest O-lines in the league.

Carolina Steelers
04-27-2012, 07:52 PM
And with their second pick they take Mike Adams, talk about investing in protection. Hopefully he can stay away from mary jane and perform to the first round potential that he is.

Im a little surpised after taking OL 1st rd then in 2nd very pleased thought got to keep Ben upright. and yea hope Adams stays clean

SCSTILLER
04-27-2012, 07:54 PM
The Steelers will try to "protect" Ben as much as they want.

But Ben will play the way he always has. He'll hold onto the ball and take sacks. It's funny how we keep forgetting HOW Ben got his ankle wrecked last season.

This draft so far reeks of knee-jerk and scapegoating.

Ed, are you talking about the Steelers draft? I cannot think of how drafting DeCastro is a knee jerk reaction considering 1: we need a guard 2: a top 15 pick fell to us in the mid 20's. As for Mike Adams, a projected first round tackle makes it to you in the late second round, you take him. If this isn't what you meant I apologize, but it seems like you are saying the Steelers are making knee jerk draft picks

ALLD
04-27-2012, 07:57 PM
If Adams can stop smoking everything and get motivated, it will be another steal. I said it is hard to reform immature ghetto wannabe gangster, but if he does then it will all be forgotten. I know it can be done as I have "experimented" in college, but quit for a job, but most of my past friends are still smoking and broke.

SCSTILLER
04-27-2012, 08:15 PM
If Adams can stop smoking everything and get motivated, it will be another steal. I said it is hard to reform immature ghetto wannabe gangster, but if he does then it will all be forgotten. I know it can be done as I have "experimented" in college, but quit for a job, but most of my past friends are still smoking and broke.

The ESPN announcers stated that he would forgoe part, if not half, of his signing bonus as proof that he is reformed and ready to be an adult and play football. If this is true than I have to say that he will stay away from the bud since that is alot of money. On the other end though, there have been alot of athletes that are being paid millions and willing to give it all away for a good 5 hours of staring at the walls, eating Kibbles and Bits, and watching Bugs Bunny and Road Runner in slow motion.

Godfather
04-27-2012, 08:27 PM
I'm OK with this pick. We need an upgrade at O-line and we got cockblocked on the bargain DTs who fell into the second round.

Plus the last Ohio State pothead worked out pretty well for us.

smokin3000gt
04-27-2012, 08:28 PM
I don't think any of it is knee jerk. The oline has needed to be addressed for sometime and Pittsburgh is drafting like they always do, if there is a stud, they draft 'em regardless of position.

GBMelBlount
04-27-2012, 08:49 PM
Ed, are you talking about the Steelers draft?

I cannot think of how drafting DeCastro is a knee jerk reaction considering 1: we need a guard 2: a top 15 pick fell to us in the mid 20's.

As for Mike Adams, a projected first round tackle makes it to you in the late second round, you take him.

If this isn't what you meant I apologize, but it seems like you are saying the Steelers are making knee jerk draft picks

Exactly.

Our offensive line could be set for years to come and what was our our biggest liability may arguably be a strong asset.

Just like that....

Dino 6 Rings
04-27-2012, 09:11 PM
Ok yesterday I half joked about fans yapping about 'must draft oline' but if I hear one effing person complain about our draft or insist we 'must draft oline' for the next FIVE DRAFTS, I will insist they turn in their fan cards, stfu, and go root for the fcking dirty Browns. Bottom line.

Craic
04-27-2012, 09:12 PM
The ESPN announcers stated that he would forgoe part, if not half, of his signing bonus as proof that he is reformed and ready to be an adult and play football. If this is true than I have to say that he will stay away from the bud since that is alot of money. On the other end though, there have been alot of athletes that are being paid millions and willing to give it all away for a good 5 hours of staring at the walls, eating Kibbles and Bits, and watching Bugs Bunny and Road Runner in slow motion.

Didn't I read an article about James Harrison doing this sober?

atlsteelers
04-27-2012, 09:20 PM
Hey I like the pick, maybe they are little nervous about gilbert making the transition to left tackle, plus our right tackle has missed a lot of playing time, who knows if he can play? Lots of deph on the olinenow.

SCSTILLER
04-27-2012, 09:31 PM

Didn't I read an article about James Harrison doing this sober?

I needed that laugh Preach! Thanx

SCSTILLER
04-27-2012, 09:34 PM
Hey I like the pick, maybe they are little nervous about gilbert making the transition to left tackle, plus our right tackle has missed a lot of playing time, who knows if he can play? Lots of deph on the olinenow.

This is my personal opinion on what the front office is thinking with this pick if all pans out well for the picks.

LT - Gilbert
LG - DeCastro
C - Pouncy
RG - Colon
RT - Adams

I could handle that!

Edman
04-27-2012, 10:17 PM
O-Line could be our "strongest asset" but I don't believe it will be so. O-Line is simply "Wait and See"

A better O-Line isn't going to magically transform Ben into a pure cerebral passer. He's still a sandlot QB who will hold to the ball forever and take his old gingerly time and risk another ankle injury.

Like I said, the circumstances behind Ben's injury last year is the biggest telling sign, not the O-Line.

steelreserve
04-27-2012, 11:15 PM
I don't think the reason was to "protect Ben" at all, so much as someone in the FO came across this message board and said to himself, "My god, someone HAS to shut these people up."

In all seriousness, though ... remember after the season when Rooney said something to the effect of "We're going to get old-school and go back to the basics?" Seems like THIS was what he meant. Not primarily about protecting Ben, but about getting better in the run game, and particularly better at short yardage and better in the red zone, which have both been killing us for years.

I do still wonder what their plan is for NT, though. I don't think there's a whole lot of guys left this year who can help us there in a meaningful way. By which I mean any guys. Unless maybe we trade up and get that big fatass from Washington, but even then who knows.