PDA

View Full Version : Do the Steelers take a NT early or wait until later

SteelerFanInStl
04-26-2012, 09:28 AM
With Big Snack's injury and recent decline in production, and Hoke's departure, we obviously need some help at NT. There seems to be a lot of depth at this spot in the draft this year.

Would you like to see us take a NT early or wait until the later rounds?

I'm not against taking a NT early, but I think that there's far better value later in the draft in guys like Hicks, Jean-Baptiste or Fangupo. Are these later round guys capable of being the starter or are they just backups?

Give me your thoughts.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-26-2012, 10:18 AM
I think they will take BPA and if a NT is there they will take them. Poe in the 1st, Ta'amu in the 2nd, Chapman in the 3rd, Fangopu in the 4th or the kid from Portland St in the 6th.

I think Hicks translates to a DE and Jean- Baptiste is probably not on the radar. Just some fans are putting his name out there because of size. Below is a scouting report of him........not very flattering.

Biography: Two-year starter awarded all-conference honors as a senior with totals of 36 tackles/8.5 tackles for loss/4 sacks. Junior numbers included 31 tackles.

Positives: Large, athletic defender with decent upside. Fires off the snap with a quick first step, displays good movement and has the ability to get down the line of scrimmage or outside the box quickly to make plays. Bends his knees and plays with good leverage.

Negatives: Easily ridden from his angle of attack by a single blocker. Lacks dominant strength and is more of a first-step lineman. Wears down easily and seems poorly conditioned.

Analysis: Jean-Baptiste looks the part but has not met the level of expectations scouts placed on him. He's large and athletic with the ability to be used in a variety of defensive systems, but he must improve his strength and learn to play hard on every down to have a lasting career in the NFL.

Projection: FA

Read more: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/football/nfl/draft-2012/players/70548.html#ixzz1t9yqALeo

LLT
04-26-2012, 11:08 AM
I agree with Gonzo....Steelers will take BPA. The thing is.....I think that they have Worthy graded higher than Poe (based on game tape and not on workouts). I also think that they probably have Hightower, Martin and Zietler ranked higher than Poe.

Just like last year (In which I thought the Steeler might go O-line then switched to DE in the last week)...this year I have been thinking ILB but have switched to a first round O-lineman.

suitanim
04-26-2012, 11:23 AM
It's going to be interesting. This is a draft where I think there will be some surprises. Plus there is a lot of last-second second guessing going on...around here, there is suddenly all this buzz that the Browns are going to skip a skill player and draft Morris Claiborne at #4. No idea where that came from...also this insanity about the Jets moving up to take Richardson.

SteelerFanInStl
04-26-2012, 12:12 PM
I really don't want to see Poe in the first. He's just too big of a risk IMO. If Hightower isn't there, I'd like to see either OG or OT. There's good value there at #24.

st33lersguy
04-26-2012, 01:19 PM
They HAVE to pick one in the first 3 rounds, especially if Trent Richardson goes to Cleveland. They have put off drafting a NT for WAY WAY too long and now with Chris Hoke retired, Hampton on the PUP list and on his last leg, they need to draft a NT early

ALLD
04-26-2012, 01:44 PM
They might pick up a NT after the first and bring two in with one being an UDFA.

Texasteel
04-26-2012, 04:44 PM
I agree with Gonzo....Steelers will take BPA. The thing is.....I think that they have Worthy graded higher than Poe (based on game tape and not on workouts). I also think that they probably have Hightower, Martin and Zietler ranked higher than Poe.

Just like last year (In which I thought the Steeler might go O-line then switched to DE in the last week)...this year I have been thinking ILB but have switched to a first round O-lineman.

So do I. Poe just has not show all this talent I game tapes. I think he could be a 1 to 2 year project.

st33lersguy
04-26-2012, 06:35 PM
Cleveland is now assured of Trent Richardson so Pittsburgh now has to draft a NT in the first 3 rounds. They have to have more than just a rapidly declining Casey Hampton and an unproven Steve McLendon knowing they will be playing Ray Rice and Trent Richardson 4 games a year

Steeldude
04-27-2012, 01:10 AM
IMO, Chapman is the best fit for the Steelers. If he is there with the 56th pick I say take him. I doubt he will be around for the Steelers' 3rd pick.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-27-2012, 08:47 AM
IMO, Chapman is the best fit for the Steelers. If he is there with the 56th pick I say take him. I doubt he will be around for the Steelers' 3rd pick.

I think the Colts and Broncos need NT. While I think Chapman ends up with a 3rd or top 4th round grade, either one of those teams grabs him in the 3rd if we dont take him before. Maybe even the Chargers would take a NT in the 3rd.

st33lersguy
04-27-2012, 10:14 PM
2 days and 3 rounds and Pittsburgh still hasn't drafted a nose tackle. They better draft one soon before all the good ones are gone

steeldevil
04-27-2012, 10:22 PM
Is there a broken record on the site tonight?

There are still some NTs that could be starters for us. At least in my mind there are. I think some of the draft gurus feel the same way too.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-28-2012, 12:24 AM
I hope we get one on Saturday. Didn't think Taamu would still be there, but should be one there in fourth. Could trade up with a 7th and get who we want

The Duke
04-28-2012, 05:38 AM
If both Chapman and Tamu are gone I wouldn't mind Fangupo at all at the end of the 4th

suitanim
04-28-2012, 06:09 AM
Like I said in another thread, I always go with who visited first when it comes to the Steelers.

Just about everyone they had in was 4th rd talent and later at NT. Ergo, I'm guessing we'll pich NT in the 4th round or later...they won't ignore it. With Hampton back and McClendon as a serviceable back-up, plus the option to slide Ziggy over in a pinch, they must feel confidant they can groom a guy...

GBMelBlount
04-28-2012, 06:21 AM
I hope we get one on Saturday. Didn't think Taamu would still be there, but should be one there in fourth. Could trade up with a 7th and get who we want

I would have no problem if we used a 7th to move up and get Taamu or just the best available at our pick.

With a solid NT I would give us a hands down "A" grade through 4 rounds.

Please, no punters yet....

ShutDown24
04-28-2012, 07:21 AM
2 days and 3 rounds and Pittsburgh still hasn't drafted a nose tackle. They better draft one soon before all the good ones are gone

The true nose tackles are sliding. Chapman and Ta'amu being available this late was nearly an unthinkable idea two days ago. Considering Hampton is still around, McLendon has played very well and as others have said Hood CAN play nose... Maybe the team feels good about the position as is for this season. I'm sure we draft a prospect at some point, but it doesn't appear to be a priority.

That said, I think Josh Chapman is BY FAR the best player still available and would love to see him make it to our fourth round spot.