PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' best bet: It's Hightower

stillers4me
04-26-2012, 05:39 AM
Kevin Colbert added a few choice phrases to the draft terminology Monday, and they should be kept in mind when trying to decipher who the Steelers might draft tonight.

His first, "Pickin' and hopin' " was precious in its brevity to sum up what most teams will do when they pass along that name to Roger Goodell tonight. Nobody knows how these players will pan out because there are too many variables: Injuries, character, sociological adjustments, growth mentally and physically, determination, etc.

Some teams will try to hammer a round peg into a square hole and draft a player who doesn't fit their system. There is a famous story about the draft in which the Steelers had two first-round choices in 1989, the result of trading holdout linebacker Mike Merriweather for a first-round pick.

It was an important draft because the Steelers went 5-11 in '88 and Chuck Noll had been ordered to fire some coaches. They had the seventh overall pick -- their highest since they drafted Terry Bradshaw No. 1 overall in 1970 -- along with No. 24..............

Read more @ http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-best-bet-its-hightower-633047/

steelerdude15
04-26-2012, 09:39 AM
That's what a lot of people think will happen.

suitanim
04-26-2012, 09:40 AM
Nervous that he thinks the Steelers think so highly of Adams. But I have read more than one report that has the same exact assessment of Zeitler. I'm sorry, but when your teams glaring weakness is OL, and you have a gaping hole at LG, and you have an almost absolutely definite chance to grab a guy that multiple sources are claiming is almost a guaranteed 10-year starter, you take him in the first. It's not a glamorous pick, but it's solid value.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-26-2012, 10:10 AM
I'm gonna guess that its Cordy Glenn. mostly because I think he is a RT only and will be proven wrong by Kugler, who will have determined in his workout that he can get the knee bend and pad level to play guard.

steelreserve
04-26-2012, 11:17 AM
I'd never be surprised to see them take a LB in rounds 1-2. And I do think it's likely they'll take a lineman early - though I doubt it's in the first round unless they get completely skunked on all the guys they wanted on defense.

ALLD
04-26-2012, 02:18 PM
Nervous that he thinks the Steelers think so highly of Adams. But I have read more than one report that has the same exact assessment of Zeitler. I'm sorry, but when your teams glaring weakness is OL, and you have a gaping hole at LG, and you have an almost absolutely definite chance to grab a guy that multiple sources are claiming is almost a guaranteed 10-year starter, you take him in the first. It's not a glamorous pick, but it's solid value.

Would be out of character to pay an OL first round $, but I agree with your assessment. The game of musical chairs must come to an end with the OL.

steelreserve
04-26-2012, 03:01 PM
First-round $ ain't what it used to be. For the 24th pick, I'm guessing it's somewhere around $1M, maybe $1.5M, which makes it reasonable for any position.

Back a couple years ago when it was more like $4M or $5M, that would've been another story.

suitanim
04-26-2012, 04:08 PM
And, again, I'm surprised at the lack of love for Cal's Mychal Kendricks in the second round.

Chidi29
04-26-2012, 04:18 PM
And, again, I'm surprised at the lack of love for Cal's Mychal Kendricks in the second round.

There's a good chance Kendricks won't even get out of the first. I don't like him but that's what the reports have been and I know a lot of people think he's a top 25 prospect.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-26-2012, 07:57 PM

somebody is gonna jump at him. I just dont know where he belongs in the NFL. Maybe a 4-3 Will LB. Maybe a 3-4 OLB??

He has the speed and pass rush ability, but doesnt play well with leverage. He waits for the play to come to him and doesnt read the plays well. I watched some film on him and he's around the ball, but gets handled by O linemen rather easily.

SCSTILLER
04-26-2012, 09:23 PM
Nope, its Decastro! I like it

Steeldude
04-26-2012, 09:24 PM
somebody is gonna jump at him. I just dont know where he belongs in the NFL. Maybe a 4-3 Will LB. Maybe a 3-4 OLB??

He waits for the play to come to him and doesnt read the plays well. I watched some film on him and he's around the ball, but gets handled by O linemen rather easily.

Sounds similar to Foote

The Duke
04-27-2012, 02:48 AM
For the last month or so I've wanted him less and less. But I never would have dreamed about DeCastro!

Hightower's gonna be a heck of a player though

st33lersguy
04-27-2012, 09:10 AM
Hightower's the pick unless a steal like David DeCastro somehow slips to Pittsburgh

Bluecoat96
04-27-2012, 09:43 AM
Hightower's the pick unless a steal like David DeCastro somehow slips to Pittsburgh

You're a day late on this one.