PDA

View Full Version : GM speaks truth about Pirates future

tony hipchest
07-13-2010, 10:01 AM
http://community.post-gazette.com/blogs/bobsmizik/default.aspx

interesting [actually, completely disgusting and shameful] when juxtaposed with the news of the yankees boss' death and how he operated.-

In the current issue of Sports Illustrated, in a story that was linked on this blog Friday, came the most astonishing quote made in the recent history of Pirates upper management.
Yes, more astonishing than owner Bob Nutting's infamous, ``It's the single best management team in all of baseball, maybe in all of sports.’’
More astonishing than president Frank Coonelly’s use of the word ``dynasty,’’ in describing the current Pirates.
What general manager Neal Huntington told Sports Illustrated leaves those comments behind for two reasons:
* At last, a member of Pirates management was leveling with the public about what the future holds for the franchise.
* And that truth is the Pirates have virtually no chance of keeping good players, which means the franchise has virtually no chance of ever competing for a championship and perhaps never having a winning season.
Here's what Huntington told SI: ``If a player wants to chase every last dollar, he’s probably not going to be here. If he buys into what we’re doing, he’ll leave some money on the table and he’ll stay.’’
Do you believe that?
Huntington thinks MLB players are going to give the Pirates a hometown discount. He thinks players are going to sign for less money to stay with a franchise that hasn’t won in 17 going on 18, going on 19 years.
That’s enough to make you laugh and enough to make you cry.
Has Huntington followed the recent history of MLB? Players almost never sign for less to stay with their current team. And in the rare instance that does happen, it’s usually an older player wishing to stay with a team that has a chance for a title.
If Huntington think Andrew McCutchen and Pedro Alvarez are going to sign long-term deals with the Pirates because they ``buy in’’ to what the team is doing, he is not qualified to be an MLB general manager. He's living in a dream world. He's confusing baseball players with hockey players.
Inadvertently or on purpose, Huntington told SI writer Jon Wertheim what reporters have been trying to get out of Nutting since the day he officially took over the franchise. But instead of answers, Nutting made vague promises. He never gave a straight answer.
Huntington did nothing of the kind. He did what Pirate management almost never does: He told the truth. And the truth is the small-market Pirates with a small-pockets owner can’t keep their best players.
It’s been five days since the magazine has been available to the public and no one from the Pirates have stepped forward to say Huntington was misquoted or what he said was incorrect.
That can only mean the Pirates truly are counting on hometown discounts to pave their way to success. That, as anyone who follows the sport knows, is not going to happen. Apparently, upper management of the Pirates doesn't follow the sport.

:doh2:

cakmakli
07-13-2010, 11:13 AM
Bob Nutting is a piece of shit who has no business being involved in any sport at any level. He's no better then any other CEO of a large company that lines his pockets while running the company to the ground and the above quote by Huntington just proves it. F_ _ k him.

If by a small chance he reads this and takes exception to what I've said, I'd be more then happy to meet him some where and say it to his face.

SteelMember
07-13-2010, 11:20 AM
This "truth" has been know since 1992... Their last winning season. Thanks for at least admitting it though. :rolleyes2:

It's been downhill for nearly 20 years now, and doesn't look to improve anytime soon.

The Pittsburgh Pirates... The majors AAA farm team. :doh:

steelerdude15
07-13-2010, 09:38 PM
Do us all a favor Nutting and sell the team. You and Huntington can both blow me.

BPS3akaWirels3
07-13-2010, 10:26 PM
"I have no further comments" Thank You.

SteelCityMan786
07-13-2010, 10:38 PM
Do us all a favor Nutting and sell the team. You and Huntington can both blow me.

I can refer you to a guy who would love to own the Pirates and would actually give a shit. His name is Chuck Greenberg(Owner of the State College Spikes and the former owner of the Altoona Curve). He is a guy who I wouldn't mind seeing end up being the face of the organization

tony hipchest
07-13-2010, 10:43 PM
the owner should be mark cuban.

he's been jilted as the owner of the bucs, cubs, and now is trying to purchase the rangers.

i would rather root for 18 more years of losing with him at the helm than an 18 year team hovering slightly above .500 with the current pile of shit.

steelerdude15
07-13-2010, 10:45 PM
I'm just like you all, devoted Pirates fans who are sick and tired of this crap of losing year after year after year. If the Pirates win a world series... it is a dream of mine and I WILL cry, o yes I will.

X-Terminator
07-13-2010, 10:46 PM
If this isn't enough to pull your support for the Pirates as long as The Three Stooges are running it, then there's no hope for you.

On behalf of Pirates fans everywhere...FUCK YOU, Huntington and Nutting. FUCK YOU.

HometownGal
07-14-2010, 06:20 AM
:jerkit: :jerkit: :jerkit:

That is all. :coffee:

BPS3akaWirels3
07-14-2010, 08:56 AM
I support the Pirates because of the history and the city. I do not care if a monkey(Nutting) ran this organization I will still go to games and still buy more jerseys. If I give up now then I give up on what Clemente, Wagner, Stargell, Kiner, Murtaugh, Maz and more great ones did to make the Pirates five time WS champions.

It's kind of like how I feel about our government.. If I give up now then I give up on our founding fathers even if I think Obama and his admin are a JOKE.

BPS3akaWirels3
07-14-2010, 08:57 AM
I'm just like you all, devoted Pirates fans who are sick and tired of this crap of losing year after year after year. If the Pirates win a world series... it is a dream of mine and I WILL cry, o yes I will.

Your a good man..

cakmakli
07-14-2010, 09:12 AM
It's kind of like how I feel about our government.. If I give up now then I give up on our founding fathers even if I think Obama and his admin are a JOKE.

That is a very interesting analogy. I think I feel the same. I love my country but not the assholes (both Parties) that are running it. I love the Pirates but not the assholes that are running them.

BPS3akaWirels3
07-14-2010, 09:54 AM
That is a very interesting analogy. I think I feel the same. I love my country but not the assholes (both Parties) that are running it. I love the Pirates but not the assholes that are running them.

You have always got to look at the BIG picture. Don't just look at today. Look at the PAST, present and future. Just because we didn't live in the past with all the great ones doesn't mean we can't celebrate them everyday. Look at Phillies fans... They feel they are the greatest ball club with their 2 WS's... lol

Chidi29
07-15-2010, 11:06 PM
Let me get this straight. Bob admits to knowing, or at least thinking, that we'll never be a good team.

Then why are you complaining so much, Bob?

Edman
07-19-2010, 04:06 PM
It's understandable that you love the Bucs enough to keep supporting them, but supporting the Bucs right now just puts more money in Nutjob's pocket and give him more opportunities to waste your time with more excuses. It's been apparent for years that the douchebag doesn't care about winning and is all about the dough. Raking in money on dissipating memories and nostalgia for a once proud Organization that was one THE team of Pittsburgh, and not the Steelers or Pens.

steelerdude15
07-19-2010, 07:22 PM
It's understandable that you love the Bucs enough to keep supporting them, but supporting the Bucs right now just puts more money in Nutjob's pocket and give him more opportunities to waste your time with more excuses. It's been apparent for years that the douchebag doesn't care about winning and is all about the dough. Raking in money on dissipating memories and nostalgia for a once proud Organization that was one THE team of Pittsburgh, and not the Steelers or Pens.
I really wish that the MLB would take over the Pirates and either run the team themselves or make Nutting sell the team. I still guess Nutting hasn't figured out that if you have a winning team, we will come, as in MORE people will go to the games, not ten thousand or fifteen thousand, but the thirty nine thousand plus that stadium can hold. He would make more money and we would be happy. In other words.... sell the team shithead.

steelpride12
07-20-2010, 08:14 AM
He doesn't care one rat's ass what this Baseball team or organization does and that has to be the most frustrating part. You have thousands of Buccos fans like us waiting for that one day or moment to be happy and proud for once of this team and knowing it won't happen till he is gone just hurts the most. I still go to games and buy their apparel is because it's so damn cheap you really can't pass it up.

st33lersguy
07-20-2010, 10:53 AM
Wait, there's a professional baseball team in Pittsburgh :sofunny:

BPS3akaWirels3
07-20-2010, 05:18 PM
Wait, there's a professional baseball team in Pittsburgh :sofunny:

SHUT IT!!