PDA

View Full Version : Ed: Key to Steelers Line Already May be on Roster

stillers4me
04-24-2012, 08:13 AM
In researching this morning’s story on the offensive line and potential Steelers draft picks, we collected unsolicited praise about line coach Sean Kugler from several people.

Many believe the most important assistant coach on a staff after the coordinators is the offensive line coach.

“I always felt one of the keys with the offensive line is you have to have a great offensive line coach,’’ said Tom Donahoe, a personnel man with the Steelers for 15 years and became president and general manager of the Buffalo Bills for awhile. “He’s the only guy on the football team who coaches five guys and there has to be so much cohesion with what they’re doing.”

Kugler has a reputation for turning chicken poop into chicken salad in Buffalo, where injuries were plentiful and the talent was not. He brought that ability to Pittsburgh.

“Your line coach is pretty damn good, Kugler,’’ said longtime Dallas personnel man Gil Brandt, who now works for NFL.com as an analyst. “I think he could probably get by with one and do it.

“I really think the line coach is a very important part of your team and to me, this guy is really very good. He could get along with your first-round pick from Florida and four average guys.’’

What makes him good?

“He just knows how to teach technique to those guys,’’ Brandt said. “I knew him when he was with Buffalo.’’..........

read more @ http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=116073

Count Steeler
04-24-2012, 08:18 AM
What concerns me is the injuries part. Why do injuries seem to follow him? Does he not condition the guys properly. I can't remember the last time we had a full season without have to patch and sew and re-sew the OLine.

In fact I can't think of an O Lineman that has lasted a full season.

suitanim
04-24-2012, 08:37 AM
Oh please God no....I HOPE this isn't some kind of propaganda from the FO as an early excuse as to why we are only going to draft one OG in the 4th round or something...

If Kugler is so good, GIVE HIM SOME YOUNG STUDS TO WORK WITH!

ALLD
04-24-2012, 01:33 PM
Silver-plated crapola.

Bluecoat96
04-24-2012, 01:37 PM
What concerns me is the injuries part. Why do injuries seem to follow him? Does he not condition the guys properly. I can't remember the last time we had a full season without have to patch and sew and re-sew the OLine.

In fact I can't think of an O Lineman that has lasted a full season.

I kinda thought about that as well. I think oneof the years in Buffalo he was coach, there were something like 6 OL that ended up on IR. I'm sure it's a coincidence and just poor luck, but Our injury woes on the OL the last 2 years made me think about it a little.

SteelerFanInStl
04-24-2012, 05:34 PM
Oh please God no....I HOPE this isn't some kind of propaganda from the FO as an early excuse as to why we are only going to draft one OG in the 4th round or something...

I agree. I also don't buy this stuff about him being such a great coach yet. Buffalo's OL improved dramatically AFTER he left. I hope that he proves me wrong but I still have my doubts.

Psycho Ward 86
04-24-2012, 05:52 PM
What concerns me is the injuries part. Why do injuries seem to follow him? Does he not condition the guys properly.

that's the strength and conditioning coaches job

ALLD
04-24-2012, 06:28 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAAi_42uIkQ

That's what she said!

BigNastyDefense
04-24-2012, 06:50 PM

That's what I was thinking. The position coach teaches technique and signals/calls. Not conditioning.

Godfather
04-24-2012, 07:13 PM
We'll be fine now that we got rid of Arians :chuckle:

steelreserve
04-24-2012, 07:38 PM
yum ... chicken poop salad.

GBMelBlount
04-24-2012, 09:32 PM
yum ... chicken poop salad.

Bwahahahhaah!!!!! :rofl2:

GBMelBlount
04-24-2012, 09:34 PM
I kinda thought about that as well. I think oneof the years in Buffalo he was coach, there were something like 6 OL that ended up on IR.

I'm sure it's a coincidence and just poor luck,

but Our injury woes on the OL the last 2 years made me think about it a little.

I am seriously wondering if these guys are not conditioned well enough.

That and the majority of them are sub par and playing far superior defensive linemen week in and week out....it's gotta take it's toll.

NCSteeler
04-24-2012, 11:36 PM
As far as conditioning goes. Our guys have played more games over the course of the last 4 seasons than just about any players in the league. It eventually wears on your body.

Count Steeler
04-25-2012, 05:04 AM

Well he/she and Kugler need to get on the same page. Let's see how this year pans out.

Bluecoat96
04-25-2012, 07:10 AM
I am seriously wondering if these guys are not conditioned well enough.

That and the majority of them are sub par and playing far superior defensive linemen week in and week out....it's gotta take it's toll.

I hope that with an entire offseason program, some of the nagging injuries go bye-bye.

Dino 6 Rings
04-26-2012, 10:13 PM
Well this artical is pretty effing stupid in hindsight

Pristas
04-26-2012, 10:22 PM
Well this artical is pretty effing stupid in hindsight

Ha!

Psycho Ward 86
04-26-2012, 11:14 PM
NOW the key to the line is on the roster :lol:

ALLD
04-27-2012, 01:47 PM
Bouchette better drop his subscription rates. Even Stevie Wonder knew the Steelers would pick up an OL in the first.

Hindes204
04-27-2012, 02:47 PM

Looks like you got your wish