PDA

View Full Version : Steelers 'not worried' about Mike Wallace reports

polamalubeast
04-23-2012, 12:28 PM
Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace may not be happy about his current contract situation, but there's not much he can do about it. The Steelers know it.

"We're not worried about the reports. He's still here. We will deal with it day to day," GM Kevin Colbert said at a pre-draft press conference Monday.

There is no reason for the Steelers to be worried. They say Wallace's situation won't affect their draft plans. ESPN reported that Wallace won't attend voluntary work anytime soon, choosing to wait before signing his one-year tender as a restricted free agent.

In theory, Wallace is waiting to see if any team will try to trade for him on draft day. We find that extremely unlikely. Eventually, Wallace will have to show up.

"We felt all along the decision would be ours," Colbert said about Wallace's lack of movement on the restricted market. "We want Mike to be here for the long haul. He knows that."

Unless Wallace lowers his contract demands, he may stay on a one-year contract. That arrangement could last two seasons with the franchise tag looming.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82886361/article/steelers-not-worried-about-mike-wallace-reports-?module=HP11_headline_stack

Iron Steeler
04-23-2012, 12:45 PM
Not gonna lie I was almost hoping someone else picked him up

steeldawg
04-23-2012, 02:48 PM
Not gonna lie I was almost hoping someone else picked him up

Why?

Count Steeler
04-23-2012, 03:13 PM
Why?

We would have got a first round compensation pick this year. Now we may not get anything until 2014, and that a 3rd round compensatory pick.

steeldawg
04-23-2012, 03:24 PM
We would have got a first round compensation pick this year. Now we may not get anything until 2014, and that a 3rd round compensatory pick.

Maybe we sign him and he continues to produce i prefer that over rolling the dice in the draft.

SMR
04-23-2012, 04:56 PM
Maybe we sign him and he continues to produce i prefer that over rolling the dice in the draft.

He dang well better produce and quit whining and being a one-trick pony. If the reports are true about him being unhappy, he should try to make an effort and recall Bettis' and Ward's good example of team loyalty. But if money is the end-all-be-all to him, than nothing will stop his big ego/whining.

steeldawg
04-23-2012, 08:22 PM
He dang well better produce and quit whining and being a one-trick pony. If the reports are true about him being unhappy, he should try to make an effort and recall Bettis' and Ward's good example of team loyalty. But if money is the end-all-be-all to him, than nothing will stop his big ego/whining.

Is he really a one trick pony? he had 72 catches last season, did he catch 72 deep balls? Team loyalty? Trust me if wallace blows an acl and cant perform this team will drop him witout batting an eyelash, so i dont blame these guys when they holdout for more money.

GBMelBlount
04-23-2012, 08:52 PM

Are you really more concerned with losing a first round pick than losing an all pro receiver who might help take us to the super bowl this year.

Count Steeler
04-23-2012, 08:54 PM

So do I. But the buzz seems to be that he is moving on after the end of next season. If that is the case, we would have been better off getting a first rounder as compensation this year, then a 3rd in 2014.

IF, his attitude is what is being portrayed in the media, good riddance. IF NOT, the Steelers will probably give him a long term contract, or at least do their best, considering Sanders and Brown will need to be taken care of as well. Tough decisions for Colbert ahead.

The Duke
04-23-2012, 09:37 PM
Is he really a one trick pony? he had 72 catches last season, did he catch 72 deep balls? Team loyalty? Trust me if wallace blows an acl and cant perform this team will drop him witout batting an eyelash, so i dont blame these guys when they holdout for more money.

me neither

except when they want Fitzgerald money. He could easily accept a very nice deal with a great chance at a superbowl here

if he doesn't want that screw him

Iron Steeler
04-23-2012, 10:27 PM
Why?

Didn't get a chance to respond bit mostly everyone here explained what I was about to stay. If he stays and becomes bitchy then he's more of liability then and asset. We pretty much got him by the balls untill 2013 but bad moods get contagious. Not good for the locker room. If hes willing to play his heart out for the Steelers obviously I would feel different about this subject. I just don't get that vibe from home lately

Shoes
04-23-2012, 10:49 PM
I for one will give Wallace the benefit of the doubt. "Bitchy", "Whining" and "not good for the locker room". This sure isn't the Wallace I've seen the past few years.

steeldawg
04-24-2012, 08:58 AM
I for one will give Wallace the benefit of the doubt. "Bitchy", "Whining" and "not good for the locker room". This sure isn't the Wallace I've seen the past few years.

Exactly this guy has not displayed any of this, he has done nothing but produce and improve. So he wants a big deal, i dont see the problem regardless of what he wants the teams bidding for his services will determine his worth. I in fact love the spot we have wallace in, he has no choice but to go out and have a big season , in order to secure a big payday.

ALLD
04-24-2012, 01:19 PM
If I was GM I would want him to have a complete season before I paid him long term franchise money. He is good and can catch some great bombs, but our clutch guys were Hines and Brown.

steeldawg
04-24-2012, 03:25 PM
If I was GM I would want him to have a complete season before I paid him long term franchise money. He is good and can catch some great bombs, but our clutch guys were Hines and Brown.

Why where hines and brown so much more clutch than wallace? Wallace put up better regular season numbers than both and although brown had 44 more yds recieving than wallace did in the playoffs, wallace did manage to get into the endzone. I dont know what play a full season means he put up very good numbers, and as ive pointed out before his numbers through his first 3 years are better than almost all the recievers getting big money were in their first 3 years. Antonio brown is a nice player i like him alot but he only scored 2 tds last year and i dont think he would have been as successful without wallace opening the field up.

SteelGhost
04-24-2012, 07:10 PM
Exactly this guy has not displayed any of this, he has done nothing but produce and improve. So he wants a big deal, i dont see the problem regardless of what he wants the teams bidding for his services will determine his worth. I in fact love the spot we have wallace in, he has no choice but to go out and have a big season , in order to secure a big payday.

...AND fire his actual agent :chuckle:

Psycho Ward 86
04-24-2012, 07:27 PM

what did hines do last year from a production standpoint