PDA

View Full Version : Steelers consider Dontari Poe as Casey Hampton’s heir apparent

polamalubeast
04-23-2012, 10:25 AM
After Memphis defensive tackle Dontari Poe’s stunning performance at the Scouting Combine, there was talk that he could be a Top 5 pick. Then everyone remembered that football isn’t played in shorts and a T-shirt, and that defensive tackles aren’t asked to run 40 yards in a straight line, jump as far as they can or lift 225 pounds straight above their bodies, and Poe has settled in as a prospect who looks like he’ll go somewhere in the middle or late first round. And maybe as far down as No. 24, to the Steelers.

Poe visited the Steelers on Wednesday, and he’s being discussed in Pittsburgh as a potential replacement to their longtime starting nose tackle, Casey Hampton.

read more

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/04/19/steelers-consider-dontari-poe-as-casey-hamptons-heir-apparent/

ShutDown24
04-23-2012, 10:36 AM
Ugh. Talk about a story that I completely disagree with and one that doesn't say much of anything.

suitanim
04-23-2012, 10:36 AM
The comments were better than the article...so much ignorance.

This is only a tricky call if #24 comes up and Hightower, DeCastro and Poe are there. I would NOT want to be GM in that situation! But I think Poe and DeCastro are long gone, and it's even possible that Hightower may be.

steelerdude15
04-23-2012, 11:31 AM

This is only a tricky call if #24 comes up and Hightower, DeCastro and Poe are there. I would NOT want to be GM in that situation! But I think Poe and DeCastro are long gone, and it's even possible that Hightower may be.
Poe and Decastro will probably be gone, but Hightower will probably still be available.

LLT
04-23-2012, 12:08 PM

I'm more concerened with a scenario in which Hightower, Worthy, and Adams are all available. That is going to be a no win situation for the FO. Any of those picks are going to piss off 66% of the fan base.

suitanim
04-23-2012, 12:17 PM
I'm more concerened with a scenario in which Hightower, Worthy, and Adams are all available. That is going to be a no win situation for the FO. Any of those picks are going to piss off 66% of the fan base.

I'd remove Adams. We don't need no stinkin' pot smokers here!

Iron Steeler
04-23-2012, 12:49 PM
I'd remove Adams. We don't need no stinkin' pot smokers here!

Agree. It would contradict all the values the Steelers portrayed with the santonio holmes situation. I think its adage bet that Adams is not going to be a Steeler

Devilsdancefloor
04-23-2012, 01:06 PM
Im sorry but after looking at some tape of Poe he didnt leave a impession on me as a 1st round guy :noidea: plus he kinda has BUST written on him, something just inst right with his play

SteelerFanInStl
04-23-2012, 06:34 PM
I don't want Poe. There are a number of other NTs that I'd rather have and they can be had in later rounds.

ShutDown24
04-23-2012, 07:23 PM
I wasn't going to say anything, because I've made my feelings on Poe crystal clear in other threads, but while the iron is hot I'm going to join in.

I hate Poe as a nose tackle. Plays way too high, shows not even half the strength you would expect from his measurables and was just an all around bad player at Memphis. He rarely shows dominance during one on one matchups, gets destroyed when facing double teams... The guy is severly overrated. I wouldn't touch him in the first round. He's a bigger project than Chapman, Ta'amu, Worthy... Really any of the other plausible guys who could play nose that will be available between rounds 1 - 3.

Chidi29
04-24-2012, 01:08 PM
I'm with shutdown. I don't want to touch Poe. Yes, you can put together a really nice highlight tape of him that makes him look like Haloti Ngata but he's inconsistent and on the ground way too much. He was a second team C-USA when at his supposed talent, he should have been a first. Can you say workout warrior? The Combine doesn't match up with the tape. Without the tape, the Combine means nothing.

BigNastyDefense
04-24-2012, 07:40 PM
If he falls to the Steelers, I hope they pass. I would rather try to get Ta'amu in the third round. I think the first round pick needs to be either an inside linebacker or an offensive lineman.

86WARD
04-24-2012, 09:09 PM
Poe is falling down the charts...he's not Steelers material...nothing to do with him.