PDA

View Full Version : NFL Draft: With value falling, are NTs worth No. 1 pick?

LLT
04-23-2012, 06:24 AM
NFL Draft: With value falling, are NTs worth No. 1 pick?
April 23, 2012 12:00 am
By Ed Bouchette / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Two men have dominated one position for the Steelers over the past 20 seasons, and, starting Thursday, the task of looking for the next one might begin.

The Steelers drafted Joel Steed in 1992 and forgot about the nose-tackle position for the rest of the '90s. They drafted Casey Hampton in '01, and he's returning for at least one more season.

"They were fortunate to make two really good picks with those guys," said former Buffalo Bills president and Steelers personnel man, Tom Donahoe, who helped select Steed. "One thing about nose tackles, they can sometimes play a little bit longer because most of them are not three-down players. They're run-stopper type guys, first and second down."

Steed, drafted in the third round, played through '99. Kimo von Oelhoffen, signed as a free agent, played the position in 2000 before he moved to end when Hampton took over as a rookie. That same year undrafted Chris Hoke came aboard, and he backed up Hampton for a decade until he retired this year.

Read More: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/nfl-draft-with-value-falling-are-nts-worth-no-1-pick-632715/

suitanim
04-23-2012, 10:04 AM
I don't think it is a #1 value pick for most teams, and not even for most 3-4 teams....which is exactly why most 3-4 teams aren't as effective as the Steelers. But, in the Steelers case, it IS a potentially worthy pick at #1, especially since we traditionallt draft so late in the 1st round.

Top 10 pick? No way...too much money inherent in the draft position based ONLY on that position (although that seems to be attenuating a bit), but down in the 20's and 30's where we pick, sure...

steelerdude15
04-23-2012, 11:27 AM
I'd say our more important position to draft is linebacker over nose tackle. I still think a nose tackle is worth a first round pick.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-23-2012, 01:52 PM
I think a NT that will keep blockers off of Timmons and Foote is of value. at #24, I would not mind it but not sure if they think any prospect is worthy of that pick. Poe, Ta'amu???

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-23-2012, 01:56 PM
I think a NT that will keep blockers off of Timmons and Foote is of value.  at #24, I would not mind it but not sure if they think any prospect is worthy of that pick.  Poe, Ta'amu???

ShutDown24
04-23-2012, 01:57 PM
No question in the Steelers' scheme nose is worthy of a first round pick.

Chidi29
04-23-2012, 02:47 PM
I always use to think that NT was one of the more difficult learning curves to make because there are very few true zero/one techs in college. Especially vs spread systems, it's all about athletic one gappers who can penetrate instead of two gappers who can plug.

But I've read comments that said the Steelers think the learning curve is relatively easy and they can wait until the last moment to draft a player when it becomes an immediate need. Hampton started 11 games his rookie year and we finished with the best run defense.

So while it's important to have a good one, it isn't as hard to find one and to coach one up,

steelreserve
04-23-2012, 02:59 PM
It's definitely worth a #1 pick. In fact, I'd say ANY position besides kicker, punter or offensive guard is worth a #1 pick if you can get a guy who you know is going to be a star for the next 10 years. Even a middle or high #1 pick for the right guy. But at positions like NT, you'd better be SURE you get the right guy. Which in hindsight is probably why we've skipped NT for the past 3 years even though we had a need.

Also, I think NT is probably more valuable to the Steelers than to other teams who aren't focused on defense and really look like they're just playing a 3-4 for the sake of playing a 3-4 because it's the "in" thing to do. Which is also why their value is falling as people figure that out.

By the way, putting OG on the list of positions that aren't worth a #1 pick wasn't meant to say the position is unimportant of the offensive line is unimportant. It was mainly because OG is the one position where you can move basically any good lineman into it, so if you're going to spend a #1 pick, you ought to get a player who also has the skills to play C or T.

BigNastyDefense
04-23-2012, 09:09 PM
I think for the Steelers it's worth it, however if Hightower is there that's the guy I want the Steelers to draft. IMHO, ILB is a bigger need at this very moment.

Steeltreal
04-23-2012, 09:47 PM
it IS a potentially worthy pick at #1
Pun intended?

Steeldude
04-24-2012, 12:36 AM
I feel Chapman is the best NT for the Steelers.

ILB is also a very important need for the Steelers. I really don't want to see Foote on the field. I guess we will have to wait and see if Sylvester is ready.

suitanim
04-24-2012, 08:24 AM
Pun intended?

Actually, not. I don't know enough about all these guys to have an informed opinion, therefore I abstain from speculating.

However, when I think about the Steelers situation hypothetically, I think if they have players ranked a certain way, and a player who is close to the rank when their number comes up AND fills a need, they will draft that player. That's sort of what I was getting at in my "Hypothetical" thread in the draft forum before it was hijacked...we know we aren't going to take, say, a QB anywhere in the first 5 rounds because we have virtually zero need, other than as a back-up. So even if RGIII fell to us, we would pass because he fills no need. BUT, if a RB like Richardson fell to us at #24 (and he's a player that may be as high as #1 in value on many boards despite playing RB), we would still select him because RB is probably like 5th on our need chart.

OG, ILB and NT are critical needs for us. OLB, WR, S, C, etc, etc are tertiary needs. I think we would actually pass at a top-10 talent if it dropped to us in any of those positions because need would trump BPA. So, as far as NT, the Steelers may not have ANY of these guys as Rd1 talent, but if they consider NT their #1 priority, they would take the guy they have ranked highest. I actually don't think they have it slotted as their top need, but it's probably close. The problem is, the Steelers have always kind of marched to the beat of their own drummer in re drafting. That's why while everyone is busy picking Hightower or Poe as their #1 in mocks, it wouldn't shock me at all for them to take Peter Konz at #24 and convert him to OG, then take a RB in 2 and a WR in 3. I'm not saying it will happen, but I am saying nothing they do would surprise me at this point...

Steeltreal
04-24-2012, 09:06 AM
Jerel Worthy was considered out of reach before the combine. Should probably be higher than Poe on the Steelers board