PDA

View Full Version : Vikings may be favoring Claiborne over Kalil

polamalubeast
04-22-2012, 09:48 PM
Multiple sources around the league have been saying that the Minnesota Vikings are not as locked into LT prospect Matt Kalil as many fans may have hoped/expected.

After speaking to people around the NFL, Tom Pelissero of ESPN 1500 Twin Cities is now one of them. He believes “there’s something to the idea” of the Vikings passing on USC LT Matt Kalil in favor of LSU CB Morris Claiborne. ”Some scouts feel Claiborne can be really special,” reports Pelissero.

NFL Films’ Greg Cosell recently noted that Minnesota plays in a division with Aaron Rodgers, Matthew Stafford, and Jay Cutler. While Kalil would solidify Minnesota’s offensive line, the Vikings may lean toward Claiborne because corner is a greater need.

read more

http://sportsauthoritynetwork.com/vikings-may-be-favoring-claiborne-over-kalil/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=vikings-may-be-favoring-claiborne-over-kalil

ShutDown24
04-22-2012, 09:54 PM
I think Claiborne is a better prospect but I have a hard time believing that the Viking will ultimately pass on the left tackle.

polamalubeast
04-22-2012, 10:06 PM
I think Claiborne is a better prospect but I have a hard time believing that the Viking will ultimately pass on the left tackle.

Leslie Frazier: Left tackles like Matt Kalil aren't 'game-changers'

The conventional wisdom that USC's Matt Kalil will go to the Minnesota Vikings with the No. 3 overall pick in this week's NFL draft could be losing traction after coach Leslie Frazier said left tackles aren't the "game-changers" that teams are expected to choose so early.

"You've got to really weigh your options," Frazier told The Star Tribune in a story published Sunday. "Because the philosophy (in the NFL) has always been to get the game-changer. And left tackle is not necessarily the game-changer. Usually game-changers are the guys who can score you points. Receivers. Quarterbacks. So what are we measuring that left tackle against? It's a loaded debate."

read more

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d82883dcb/article/leslie-frazier-left-tackles-like-matt-kalil-arent-gamechangers?module=HP11_headline_stack

The Duke
04-22-2012, 10:30 PM
Stories about the #3 pick the last few weeks have been much more interesting than the obvious #1 and 2 picks. Trade, franchise LT, WR, now a cornerback....

I truly have no idea what will happen next week

steelerdude15
04-22-2012, 11:01 PM
Stories about the #3 pick the last few weeks have been much more interesting than the obvious #1 and 2 picks. Trade, franchise LT, WR, now a cornerback....

I truly have no idea what will happen next week

It will certainly be interesting to see, that's for sure.

7willBheaven
04-23-2012, 12:07 AM
I've been saying for a while picks 3 or 4-8 or 9 will be interesting to see how the fall as there are a lot of possibilities there.

ShutDown24
04-23-2012, 12:28 AM
Keep in mind the Vikings have been trying very hard to trade out of the #3 selection for quite some time with little apparent interest. Any reports coming out of Minnesota are heavily untrustworthy as far as I'm concerned. Anything to drum up interest in the pick is good for the Vikings.

LLT
04-23-2012, 06:38 AM
Keep in mind the Vikings have been trying very hard to trade out of the #3 selection for quite some time with little apparent interest. Any reports coming out of Minnesota are heavily untrustworthy as far as I'm concerned. Anything to drum up interest in the pick is good for the Vikings.

Exactly right...they would trade down if they thought that they could still get their OT and a few extra picks....that simple.

LLT
04-23-2012, 06:40 AM
Leslie Frazier: Left tackles like Matt Kalil aren't 'game-changers'

The conventional wisdom that USC's Matt Kalil will go to the Minnesota Vikings with the No. 3 overall pick in this week's NFL draft could be losing traction after coach Leslie Frazier said left tackles aren't the "game-changers" that teams are expected to choose so early.

"You've got to really weigh your options," Frazier told The Star Tribune in a story published Sunday. "Because the philosophy (in the NFL) has always been to get the game-changer. And left tackle is not necessarily the game-changer. Usually game-changers are the guys who can score you points. Receivers. Quarterbacks. So what are we measuring that left tackle against? It's a loaded debate."

read more

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story/09000d5d82883dcb/article/leslie-frazier-left-tackles-like-matt-kalil-arent-gamechangers?module=HP11_headline_stack

I dont believe this story for one second....no coach TRULY believes that a LT isnt a game changer. LT is the second most important position on the field.

suitanim
04-23-2012, 10:01 AM
Kalil won't fall far...the Browns won't take him as they have Thomas already, and sliding Kalil to RT is, IMO, a waste. But he won't last past 5 or 6 no matter what.