PDA

View Full Version : Steelers likely to add to RB stable

stillers4me
04-21-2012, 08:44 AM
All signs from Rashard Mendenhall's surgically repaired right knee to the relative inexperience behind him point to the Steelers selecting a running back in the NFL Draft.

Just don't expect it to happen Thursday night.

The position has lost its shine when it comes to the draft. This could be the second consecutive year that only one running back is taken in the first round; Alabama's Trent Richardson is the only lock.

Running backs have been seemingly marginalized, and even Steelers coach Mike Tomlin concedes an argument can be made that their value has decreased...............

Read more: Steelers likely to add to RB stable - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_792293.html#ixzz1sgMZG7kG) http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_792293.html#ixzz1sgMZG7kG

tube517
04-21-2012, 08:52 AM
Running backs have been seemingly marginalized, and even Steelers coach Mike Tomlin concedes an argument can be made that their value has decreased

Don't say that around Steeler Nation. People just had heart attacks in black and gold bumblebee jerseys. :faint:

st33lersguy
04-21-2012, 09:04 AM
Too much has been made of this need, it is not a need. Issac Redman runs with authority, Baron Batch looked real good in training camp and John Clay and Jonathan Dwyer showed flashes as capable backups. I can understand drafting one in the 7th round because they had a lot of picks and needed to draft someone if all the needs are addressed, but this position should be ignored in the first 2 days

suitanim
04-21-2012, 09:06 AM
Don't say that around Steeler Nation. People just had heart attacks in black and gold bumblebee jerseys. :faint:

Yeah, it really doesn't make sense. We still ran 45% of the time last year, and we will probably run a little more under Haley. RB still has a lot of value on a team like the Steelers. I think we'll be okay if Mendy comes back at 100% or close to 100%. I like the fact that Dwyer really took care of himself in the offseason. But the fact is, behind Mendy, we really have very little experience, and nobody really knows if Redman can carry the load for a whole season. If he's injured on the first play of the season, we suddenly hace very little depth and almost no experience in the backfield.

steelreserve
04-21-2012, 01:51 PM
If anyone has doubts about the value of a decent running back, look at how the running game went with Parker. It stilted the entire offense.

Be that as it may, we do have two RBs better than Parker in Mendenhall and Redman. It's just hard to say what's behind them if something happens to Redman. Anyone who claims to know is just making shit up; it's a complete coin-flip because we haven't seen enough. That does put us in a pretty precarious situation.

But it's also pretty difficult to carry THREE running backs that you are super-confident in. And it usually means one of them is out the door the next year for sure. Pretty likely we end up having to just roll the dice next year with what we've got, and hope that between Dwyer, Batch and Clay we end up with at least one competent backup.

Steeldude
04-21-2012, 02:44 PM
I hope they don't waste one of the first 4 rounds on a RB.

Steeldude
04-21-2012, 02:49 PM
It's not like Redman is replacing an elite RB. It's just Mendenhall.

st33lersguy
04-21-2012, 03:05 PM
I have seen Redman play, he deserves a starting spot. He runs with at least twice as much authority as Mendenhall, and his YPC average is very good

ALLD
04-21-2012, 03:24 PM
We need a RB that can catch out of the backfield and block on third down. That is the player to be selected.

7willBheaven
04-21-2012, 04:37 PM
All signs from Rashard Mendenhall's surgically repaired right knee to the relative inexperience behind him point to the Steelers selecting a running back in the NFL Draft.

I find this kind of funny...they talk about inexperience...but then they say the Steelers might draft and RB...who will have LESS NFL experience than any of them, haha. I thought it might mention them signing a vet or something but nope.

86WARD
04-21-2012, 04:51 PM
I'll take Steven Jackson for a 5th round pick and ride he and IR for a couple few seasons..

Psycho Ward 86
04-21-2012, 05:12 PM
I'll take Steven Jackson for a 5th round pick and ride he and IR for a couple few seasons..

what?

steelreserve
04-21-2012, 06:34 PM
We need a RB that can catch out of the backfield and block on third down. That is the player to be selected.

You mean Moore?

steelreserve
04-21-2012, 06:35 PM
what?

I think by IR he meant Isaac Redman, not Injured Reserve.

Psycho Ward 86
04-21-2012, 07:33 PM
I think by IR he meant Isaac Redman, not Injured Reserve.

yeah i dont know what the hell he's talking about with steven jackson though

86WARD
04-21-2012, 07:59 PM
There has been talk that the Rams are looking to trade Steven Jackson if they draft Richardson.

86WARD
04-21-2012, 08:03 PM
http://gridironfans.com/forums/latest-nfl-headlines/187527-rams-could-trade-cut-rb-steven-jackson.html

steeldevil
04-21-2012, 09:34 PM

I think any sane person would.

Count Steeler
04-21-2012, 09:54 PM

I think any sane person would.

Count me in.

suitanim
04-22-2012, 06:46 AM
I find this kind of funny...they talk about inexperience...but then they say the Steelers might draft and RB...who will have LESS NFL experience than any of them, haha. I thought it might mention them signing a vet or something but nope.

Maybe experience isn't the right word. Maybe it's reliability...I don't know. But I look at Trent Richardson and I see Shaun Alexander all over again. I mean, they are approximately the same size, same weight, same 40 time, runs for power and speed and can block and catch. A guy like that in an offense that throws to it's RB's (like the Saints) is true top-tier marquee player, 3-down back, a guy who never has to come off the field.

Outside of the possible exception of Mendenhall (who, for some reason, still gets a lot of unwarranted hate from Steelers fans), I don't know that we have a back who is capable of RELIABLY filling all those roles. I guess we will find out.

The Duke
04-22-2012, 01:38 PM
There has been talk that the Rams are looking to trade Steven Jackson if they draft Richardson.

why would they do that? Those two could instantly become the best tandem in the league!

improve the wr corps some more and you have an offense teams have to respect

86WARD
04-22-2012, 02:02 PM
$7 million dollars.