PDA

View Full Version : Steelers win $7 million in Wallace gamble

polamalubeast
04-20-2012, 04:25 PM
It's past 4 p.m. on Friday. You know what that means? It means more than the start of happy hour. It's time for the Steelers to breathe a sigh of relief.

WallaceNo team signed restricted free-agent Mike Wallace by the deadline, according to ESPN's Andrew Brandt. So, Wallace remains with the Steelers this season.

Congratulations, Pittsburgh. The Steelers' front office took a risk by not putting the franchise tag on Wallace and won $7 million with that gamble. If you want to be specific, the Steelers netted $6.8 million by putting a first-round tender on Wallace ($2.7 million) instead of the tag ($9.5 million).

Wallace hasn't reported to offseason workouts because he has yet to sign the tender. He has until June 15 to sign it before the Steelers can get cut the tender to $577,500 -- a loss of $2.1 million. But that's not going to happen. The Steelers aren't going to save any more millions of dollars with Wallace this year.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/46431/steelers-win-7-million-in-wallace-gamble?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

XxKnightxX
04-20-2012, 05:43 PM
Those Cheap Ass Rooneys :chuckle:

Steeldude
04-21-2012, 01:22 AM
Did they win or did they lose? Wallace won't be a Steeler in 2013. Now they get nothing in return.

XxKnightxX
04-21-2012, 04:42 AM
Did they win or did they lose? Wallace won't be a Steeler in 2013. Now they get nothing in return.

Id rather spend that money on Antonio Brown. Its gonna come down to a Plaxico/Ward debate, and Brown seems to be the frontrunner.

Chidi29
04-21-2012, 05:23 AM

Were we going to get more than a 3rd round pick? I don't know. Lose a lot of leverage with a guy entering his last year.

So you might as well keep him, roll the dice, and if yuo lose him get the compensatory pick.

I still think we'll re-sign him though.

GBMelBlount
04-21-2012, 06:06 AM

If the goal is to win a super bowl this year then there is no way I see this as losing.

Texasteel
04-21-2012, 08:07 AM
Id rather spend that money on Antonio Brown. Its gonna come down to a Plaxico/Ward debate, and Brown seems to be the frontrunner.

Keep in mind, Brown may not be quite the same player without Mike on the other side.

Bluecoat96
04-21-2012, 08:10 AM
Keep in mind, Brown may not be quite the same player without Mike on the other side.

I think an X factor in all of this is Sanders. If he's healthy, what would he be capable of? What if Cotchery takes on a bigger role as well? I am so excited to see what this passing attack does.

suitanim
04-21-2012, 08:30 AM
Well, Wallace will certainly be motivated to perform this year...

Iron Steeler
04-21-2012, 02:04 PM
The steelers will figure something out they always do