PDA

View Full Version : Hypothetical

suitanim
04-19-2012, 09:34 AM
RB value dropping as NFL commodity (read here: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--rb-trent-richardson-exception-to-rule-as-positional-value-keeps-sliding-.html)

I know this is basically ridiculous, but I'm asking simpky as a hypothetical. What if Trent Richardson fell to us at 24? Obviously, we take him, right?

zulater
04-19-2012, 09:44 AM
Yes. But he wont, not a snowball in hell's chance he falls past 10 or 12. Running back value is dropping for ordinary 1000 yard type backs. But franchise backs are a different category.

steeldevil
04-19-2012, 09:50 AM
Not a shot he gets to us. Even if he somehow lasts into the late teens, which he won't, the Bengals would send that card in in about 2 seconds at #18. So would plenty of teams too I guess.

Steeldude
04-20-2012, 12:41 AM
It depends on who else is on the board. If Mendenhall is retained beyond 2012 then where does Richardson fit in? Perhaps trading down would be a better option.

JayC
04-20-2012, 12:43 AM
i don't care if RBs dont make good top 10 picks, the browns would be stupid not to take him at 4

Texasteel
04-20-2012, 04:41 AM
It depends on who else is on the board. If Mendenhall is retained beyond 2012 then where does Richardson fit in? Perhaps trading down would be a better option.

Good answer dude. If he is there at 24, our pick would become very attractive to several teams. How ever as Zu mentioned, it just ain't going to happen.

Now that I said that, watch him start to slid.

ShutDown24
04-20-2012, 04:51 AM
I think the obvious and probably correct answer is yes. But in this hypothetical world who else is available? If Kalil or Claiborne magically fall as well I would want either of those players over Richardson. And if it came down to Hightower vs. Richardson, I'd still have a hard time passing on Hightower. I think the important thing about trade value in this situation too is that, if he falls to 24 his value likely won't be the same as if a team wanted to trade up to 6 for example to acquire him - therefore I'm not entirely sure trading down would be the best, even if it's the most obvious, answer. Regardless of all these crazy hypotheticals, that is what they are. As I'm certain Trent Richardson isn't available at 24. I could see him falling some, but not to 24.

suitanim
04-20-2012, 05:35 AM
Really what the question I was asking comes down to is, philosophically, are the fans committed to BPA as much as the team is?

Count Steeler
04-20-2012, 06:09 AM
Really what the question I was asking comes down to is, philosophically, are the fans committed to BPA as much as the team is?

I would say probably not. I have a feeling we are going to see some surprises next week. I don't think the O Line is going to be addressed early, if at all. We are a defense first team and we have some shoring up to do on that side of the ball. Would not be shocked to see an RB or WR picked early as well.

suitanim
04-20-2012, 10:17 AM
I would say probably not. I have a feeling we are going to see some surprises next week. I don't think the O Line is going to be addressed early, if at all. We are a defense first team and we have some shoring up to do on that side of the ball. Would not be shocked to see an RB or WR picked early as well.

BPA is completely unrelated to need. That was my whole point.

That being said, i would literally be shocked if we don't pick OL with #1 or #2.

LLT
04-20-2012, 10:57 AM
RB value dropping as NFL commodity (read here: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/nfl--rb-trent-richardson-exception-to-rule-as-positional-value-keeps-sliding-.html)

I know this is basically ridiculous, but I'm asking simpky as a hypothetical. What if Trent Richardson fell to us at 24? Obviously, we take him, right?

Colbert has traditionally admitted that they use a modified BPA attitude when drafting. They downgrade certain positions such they did a few years ago when Colbert said that they were looking at all positions EXCEPT the TE and QB positions.

The safe answer is yes....with Mendenhall hurt...we would take Richardson over Hightower, Worthy or Adams because he grades out higher. Look at that scenerio from two years out and its a no brainer

Chidi29
04-20-2012, 12:49 PM
Yes, and I wouldn't even trade it.

ALLD
04-20-2012, 03:02 PM
What if I got in a time machine and went back to 1989? Take Richardson @ 24, but I have a better chance of playing for the Dolphins at 46 years old this season than that happening.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-20-2012, 03:51 PM

Since we are talking hypothetical, lets just say that RGIII drops to #24. Do we take him because he is BPA??

I know what my thoughts are. I also know that I would pass on Richardson. Partly because I dont think we need a RB with a premium pick and partly because I remember that Tim Worley was supposed to be a cant miss RB too.

suitanim
04-20-2012, 05:04 PM
Since we are talking hypothetical, lets just say that RGIII drops to #24. Do we take him because he is BPA??

I know what my thoughts are. I also know that I would pass on Richardson. Partly because I dont think we need a RB with a premium pick and partly because I remember that Tim Worley was supposed to be a cant miss RB too.

What if you have no need at all? That would be stupid.

Worley was injured and a pothead. Poor comparison.

But I understand the need for you to take a contrarian stance to pretty much all my posts, so no harm no foul...

Texasteel
04-21-2012, 08:02 AM
Yes, and I wouldn't even trade it.

I'm not so sure I wouldn't bud. At worse we would get our NT droping into the early second and would pick up a 4th, and a 5th, maybe a 4th and next years 3rd. The 4th round fasinates me this year. There are so many real interesting players that will be going in that round. Personally I think the 3rd and 4th rounds are the heavy rounds this year.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-21-2012, 08:18 AM
What if you have no need at all? That would be stupid.

Worley was injured and a pothead. Poor comparison.

But I understand the need for you to take a contrarian stance to pretty much all my posts, so no harm no foul...

I wasnt trying to be contrarian, but again you think everything is about you.:attention:

My point is that if you don't need the player, then you pass on him. Its probably more of a modified BPA board that somebody said the Steelers use.

Also, if you have created an identity as a passing team in a passing league, then why both drafting a RB when you have several on the roster. I know its a hypothetical exercise, but I pass on the RB.

Next thing you know they draft a WR in the 2nd, reach for a pass rusher in the 3rd and an injured OT in the 4th and its 2008 draft all over again.

suitanim
04-21-2012, 08:32 AM
Bu-bu-bu-but I thought we were gonna run the ball 75 times a game, and Ben would be screamed at and start playing like Joe Montana and we'd score 100 points and win every game this year because of Haley??? So don't we need a RB more than a QB?

Whatever. I'll put you down for a smarmy no on the BPA thing...

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-22-2012, 09:38 AM
No, I actually thought that Occams Razor dictated that Rooney's meddling and firing of the greatest O Coordinator ever in the history of the game, was just the first step in his meddling. Art is going to trade away his entire draft to get to #3 for Ryan Kalil, then make a deal to get Chris Johnson from the Titans, then hire Cowher as a offensive consultant and go back to a run first offense.

Of course you know this already, because a Cleveland area auto dealers meeting was told this by Cowher in a keynote speech.

In case you arent sure...........yes this time I am being sarcastically contrary to your post, in rebuttal to your smarmy post. :wave:

7willBheaven
04-22-2012, 12:47 PM
I'd say NO...but I have a feeling they could get a good bit for a team that wants him and willing to trade a good bit...think the Saints last year.

Chidi29
04-22-2012, 12:59 PM
I'm not so sure I wouldn't bud. At worse we would get our NT droping into the early second and would pick up a 4th, and a 5th, maybe a 4th and next years 3rd. The 4th round fasinates me this year. There are so many real interesting players that will be going in that round. Personally I think the 3rd and 4th rounds are the heavy rounds this year.

I know we could get a good package for the pick but I'm not going to pass up on a player that has at worst, a top ten grade, for a NT who may be considered a high second rounder by the team. Value wise, that just doesn't make sense.

suitanim
04-23-2012, 05:35 AM
No, I actually thought that Occams Razor dictated that Rooney's meddling and firing of the greatest O Coordinator ever in the history of the game, was just the first step in his meddling. Art is going to trade away his entire draft to get to #3 for Ryan Kalil, then make a deal to get Chris Johnson from the Titans, then hire Cowher as a offensive consultant and go back to a run first offense.

Of course you know this already, because a Cleveland area auto dealers meeting was told this by Cowher in a keynote speech.

In case you arent sure...........yes this time I am being sarcastically contrary to your post, in rebuttal to your smarmy post. :wave:

That shows the kind of hubris and revisionist history that is so predominant amongst some members who are just never wrong.

That whole "Cowher to the Browns" thing is a perfect example. Basically, it started because I was told by either you, or a poster who was so much like you that the difference is negligible (Maybe Tony Hipchest?), that "Cowher never said that". Well, he did. And I found the quote, and cited the source. I never said for sure that Cowher was headed to the Browns, but I did provide the quote where he said he'd love to coach there. And, as exposition, I also said Cowher would probably coach anywhere they gave him full control and 9-10 million a year. Obviously the Browns offer wasn't that rich.

And I will go ahead and accept your answer that the Steeler don't need a running back. I disagree.

As for the rest, eh, I just skimmed it...just the usual junk you post about me.

LLT
04-23-2012, 05:45 AM
Lets get the original post back on track without anyone being "Smarmy" or oversensitive. First and only warning.

suitanim
04-23-2012, 09:58 AM
The Browns are going to take him at #4.

I'm starting to get the feeling that the Steelers are giving Isaiah Pead a real strong look. Kind of depends on where he falls. Wow, some heads will aspolde if they take him in the 2nd...even if they take him in the third.

LLT
04-24-2012, 09:17 AM
I'm feeling generous today and just deleted both your posts. Both of you are on really thin ice and might want to consider EVERY WORD you post the rest of the day. I cant be any more clear than that. Any further lack of respect, regardless of how blatant or subtle... will be dealt with immediately.

Out of respect for what Admin and the Mods are dealing with right now....your consideration would be greatly appreciated.

bayz101
04-24-2012, 10:57 AM
Browns will take T. Rich at #4. He's too good to pass up, no matter the value of running back's in today's NFL. If Trent fell to us? Wouldn't happen, but if it did, yes, we'd probably taken him. You have to think the nineteen teams before us would be thinking the same thing.

BigNastyDefense
04-24-2012, 07:35 PM
First, Trent Richardson will be gone at either 3-4-5. It depends on if someone trades up in front of Cleveland for him. If so, he's gone at #3. Otherwise, I think Cleveland takes him at #4. If Cleveland does pass on him, then the Buccaneers will be sprinting to the podium with their selection in hand.

In the scenario, I don't think the Steelers take him just because he's the BPA. I prefer a modified BPA approach because if there's a need and there is a player there worth the pick, you take the player at the need position. The Steelers have a stable of RB's right now that include a former first round pick that fell to them later in the first round than anyone expected. Yes, he's coming off of a knee injury, but his backup is pretty good and might even displace him permanently. The Steelers don't need Richardson, they don't need a RB in the first or second round. The highest I see is taking one is in the third round.

The dilemma I do see happening is of Cordy Glenn falls to the Steelers. Then the decision is going to be between Glenn or Dont'a Hightower. Both would fill need positions, both are excellent prospects that could possibly start this season. That would be a tough decision, and if it came to that, I would be happy with either pick. In my mock draft, I have us taking Hightower because Glenn doesn't fall to us. But I can see them taking Glenn if he were to slip past the Bengals.

X-Terminator
04-24-2012, 08:30 PM
Darn! Suit saved again...

Excuse me? What exactly are you implying here?

Given the situation at hand, I don't exactly have a lot of patience right now. So you can stop with the backhanded comments.