PDA

View Full Version : Sports Hate?

Bluecoat96
04-15-2012, 07:18 PM
Not sure where to put this, but I thought it might make an interesting topic for discussion.

This is something that I've thought about off and on for a while. I'm referring to the "hate" or "disdain" we all have for that other team. Is it really the specific team, or is it more a result of the idiot fan bases of said teams? I'll give you a couple of examples from my own experiences.

I live in Ohio, but root for Michigan and also for the Steelers. (duh! lol) I get harassed constantly for my favorite teams. We all know that argument...."YOU LIVE IN ****, YOU SHOULD ROOT FOR THAT TEAM!!!" Even after I explain that my parents are from Michigan and graduated from the U of M, and also that my family lived in Pittsburgh in the early '70's, they say, "DOESN'T MATTER!!!!"

I used to be "ok" with OSU. I didn't mind watching their games, and even was a little happy when they won the national championship in 2002. However, after taking crap when Rich Rod practiced his players too hard, I started to change my tune some. After "Tattoo-gate" happened at OSU, and listening to the resulting apologist fans for Tressel and his players, I find myself continually rooting against OSU. Petty? yes....but it is what it is. I just can't stand them now, and delight in most every loss they endure. I blame the idiot fans....and Tressel, who I used to respect.

I used to pity the Browns' fans as well because of the sheer suckiness that is their team. However, hearing so many fans trashing of Big Ben and the Steelers really sours my opinion of the team. So many Clowns fans are convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that Ben raped those 2 women, and that James Harrison is a dirty head-hunter. I hope they continue to suck forever, and that Browns Stadium implodes and falls into Lake Erie.

Don't even get me started on the switch from James Walker to Jamison Hensley over at the AFCN blog on BSPN.

What are your thoughts? Is it solely the teams you hate, or is it because of the idiot fans? Mods, feel free to put this where ever you deem correct.

SteelGhost
04-15-2012, 08:04 PM
Cryboys for the team, AND the fans....AND THE OWNER :lol:

Same applies for the Pats* but it includes the coach too :chuckle:

Godfather
04-15-2012, 08:18 PM
Pats* for Marsha and Bellycheat. When those two are gone, I don't see being able to feel the hate.

I don't see my hate for the Cryers, Rangers, gumps (Bama), weebles (Ole Miss), or Ratbirds letting up that much, other than during periods of extended suckdom.

The Browns aren't even worth hating.

Michael
04-15-2012, 08:23 PM
Thought provoking question. My answers are

Cowboys -Can t stand Jerry Jones,

Raiders -Before and lingering on Al Davis, but the fans are low lifers, gang bangers .

Ravens-Fans are idiots and over rate their teams.

New England-Because they pose a a threat to the Steelers as the best team in the AFC every year.

steelerdude15
04-15-2012, 08:26 PM
Not sure where to put this, but I thought it might make an interesting topic for discussion.

This is something that I've thought about off and on for a while. I'm referring to the "hate" or "disdain" we all have for that other team. Is it really the specific team, or is it more a result of the idiot fan bases of said teams? I'll give you a couple of examples from my own experiences.

I live in Ohio, but root for Michigan and also for the Steelers. (duh! lol) I get harassed constantly for my favorite teams. We all know that argument...."YOU LIVE IN ****, YOU SHOULD ROOT FOR THAT TEAM!!!" Even after I explain that my parents are from Michigan and graduated from the U of M, and also that my family lived in Pittsburgh in the early '70's, they say, "DOESN'T MATTER!!!!"

I used to be "ok" with OSU. I didn't mind watching their games, and even was a little happy when they won the national championship in 2002. However, after taking crap when Rich Rod practiced his players too hard, I started to change my tune some. After "Tattoo-gate" happened at OSU, and listening to the resulting apologist fans for Tressel and his players, I find myself continually rooting against OSU. Petty? yes....but it is what it is. I just can't stand them now, and delight in most every loss they endure. I blame the idiot fans....and Tressel, who I used to respect.

I used to pity the Browns' fans as well because of the sheer suckiness that is their team. However, hearing so many fans trashing of Big Ben and the Steelers really sours my opinion of the team. So many Clowns fans are convinced beyond a shadow of a doubt that Ben raped those 2 women, and that James Harrison is a dirty head-hunter. I hope they continue to suck forever, and that Browns Stadium implodes and falls into Lake Erie.

Don't even get me started on the switch from James Walker to Jamison Hensley over at the AFCN blog on BSPN.

What are your thoughts? Is it solely the teams you hate, or is it because of the idiot fans? Mods, feel free to put this where ever you deem correct.

I know exactly how you feel about what I bolded. Living in Maryland, I've gotten so much negative comments for being a Pittsburgh fan. Many of my friends know that I have family from central and western PA and that I have family living in and around Pittsburgh, but they still give me trash about it. No one will ever change my teams, I don't care who you are.

I hate teams for both the team itself and the fans. The four teams I hate are the Ravens, Capitals, Flyers, and the University of West Virginia. Then I don't like the Bengals, Browns, and Islanders. I have to put up with so much from the Beltway fan base (Baltimore-D.C.) through out the year. They love to talk smack even if they don't know what they're talking about, their teams suck, or etc.

Bluecoat96
04-15-2012, 08:41 PM
I know exactly how you feel about what I bolded. Living in Maryland, I've gotten so much negative comments for being a Pittsburgh fan. Many of my friends know that I have family from central and western PA and that I have family living in and around Pittsburgh, but they still give me trash about it. No one will ever change my teams, I don't care who you are.

I hate teams for both the team itself and the fans. The four teams I hate are the Ravens, Capitals, Flyers, and the University of West Virginia. Then I don't like the Bengals, Browns, and Islanders. I have to put up with so much from the Beltway fan base (Baltimore-D.C.) through out the year. They love to talk smack even if they don't know what they're talking about, their teams suck, or etc.

I can only imagine how much that would suck.

steelerdude15
04-15-2012, 08:49 PM
I can only imagine how much that would suck.

Believe me, its bad and it gets worse every year. More and more people are becoming fans of both the Ravens and Capitals and it makes me sick. They took so much smack, but couldn't tell you anything about the NFL before 2008 or name you a Capital before Ovechkin. They think they're that their teams will win the Super Bowl and Stanley Cup every year. :rolleyes:

Godfather
04-15-2012, 08:52 PM
They love to talk smack even if they don't know what they're talking about, their teams suck, or etc.

That sounds like Ole Miss fans. They have the highest mouth (or keyboard) to accomplishment ratio in the world.

The only time they shut up is when they go through an extended period of sucking even by Ole Miss standards.

Craic
04-15-2012, 08:58 PM
I think it's something much more basic than that.

Think about someone you're emotionally invested in, someone that when they're hurting, you want to comfort them, and when their happy, you're truly happy. Now, think about someone else coming in and purposefully hurting them, either by not letting them get a promotion at work, or physically hitting them, etc. etc. How do you feel about that other person? How do you feel about others who cheer what that other person has done?

The more our emotions and in many cases, our identity gets tied up with a sports team, the more it becomes a matter of protecting what we care about - and in extreme cases, ourselves.

I know some of you may think that this is just way out in left field, but think again about stadium violence, about what some claim concerning violence in the home after sporting events that are watched.

Heck, I offer up to you as exhibit A, the 1980 Olympic Hockey team. That tournament and specifically that game was so much more than just two teams playing. It was the pride of two nations and thought of in many ways as a proxy war - evidenced by the sheer number and tone of the letters and telegrams the US team received.

On a smaller level, if you grow up watching a team, especially if that team is part and parcel of the community, it becomes part of our identity. So when a team beats the Steelers consistently, its taken personally for the reasons stated above. When a player shines as it beats a team, or runs his mouth of about a team, then its the players who are disliked. Same with fans.

It's also why teams like GB can beat us in the Superbowl, but because (for the most part), their players and fans had good things to say about the Steelers, most of us don't have the bitter dislike for them that we do for Arizona or Seattle.

I guess in some ways, Aretha Franklin was right.

fansince'76
04-15-2012, 09:10 PM
I've come to LOATHE the Seahawks - and it's 100% due to their crybaby asshat fans.

Count Steeler
04-15-2012, 09:18 PM
I think a lot has to do with who you know personally that supports different franchises. Also, displays of arrogance and poor sportsmanship will also turn me off certain teams. I went to high school with a Patriots fan, a Raiders fan and a Vikings fan. We all got along so we all had a mutual respect for our teams and our friends teams. Unfortunately, once the Patriots got Brady and the Sweatshirt, my respect dwindled. Once spygate was made known, then my respect was completely gone and loathing stepped in.

There are not many teams I hate. Just teams I take particular pleasure in beating.

polamalubeast
04-15-2012, 09:26 PM
For me, I hate a lot the media and the fan in Boston

They are very arrogant

steeldevil
04-15-2012, 10:06 PM
Its pretty bad being a Duke fan in North Carolina. Really can't think of a worse scenario, I guess maybe being a Yankees fan in Boston??? I dont even really hate Carolina, but their fans are just awful for the most part. Even the actual good Carolina fans admit that most of their fans are horrrible. I could type a whole lot about this but I wont because I bet no one would reply to it anyway lol

Thats the only one of my teams whos rivals are nearby and I have to put up with though. I think I have seen about 10 Ravens fans in NC in my life.Way more Cowboys and Pats* here than Ravens thats for sure.

suitanim
04-16-2012, 08:15 AM

I live in Ohio. I'm an OSU fan. I was one of the first people calling for the Steelers to get rid of Santo "smokey" Holmes, and I was also one of the first to say that Tressel had to go. I don't hate Michigan, I just like to make fun of them. Same with the Browns. I also don't really listen to or care all that much about the lowest-common-denominator who want to fight and argue about either...I just consider the source.

But I have to say this: One of the stupidest arguments and fallacies one can commit is to knock someone for their "granfalloon" (Kurt Vonnegut...look it up). I always have to laugh when people SERIOUSLY try to make an argument that Pennsylvania is better than Ohio, or that the PEOPLE of one state are better than the other...especially when they are right next door. There are obviously good people and idiots in both.

suitanim
04-16-2012, 08:20 AM
Oh, and as far as rooting for teams in close proximity, as far as I'm concerned, you got one crack at picking your teams, and you should do it early. These fake-assed whorewagon jumpers who WERE 49ers fans in the 80's and then suddenly were Cowboys fans in the 90's and then were cheatriots fans in the 00's are a front-running joke. I also think it's pretty much a joke for a guy in NY to have a favorite team from Seattle, but I'll forgive it if they pick the team and stick with them.

venom
04-16-2012, 09:31 AM
Oh, and as far as rooting for teams in close proximity, as far as I'm concerned, you got one crack at picking your teams, and you should do it early. These fake-assed whorewagon jumpers who WERE 49ers fans in the 80's and then suddenly were Cowboys fans in the 90's and then were cheatriots fans in the 00's are a front-running joke. I also think it's pretty much a joke for a guy in NY to have a favorite team from Seattle, but I'll forgive it if they pick the team and stick with them.

Good friend of mine lives here in NYC ( always lived here ) and is a big Seahawks fan. Growing up he was a big Steve Largent fan and till today is still a Seahawks fan. I never bring up Super Bowl XL to him cause no matter where the conversations goes to , the last word that comes out of his mouth will be the word " refs "

suitanim
04-16-2012, 09:48 AM
Good friend of mine lives here in NYC ( always lived here ) and is a big Seahawks fan. Growing up he was a big Steve Largent fan and till today is still a Seahawks fan. I never bring up Super Bowl XL to him cause no matter where the conversations goes to , the last word that comes out of his mouth will be the word " refs "

I didn't even meet a SINGLE Seahawks fan in my life (all in NEO) until I was 22. I never even SAW a Squak fan before that. But I respected the guy because he was a lifelong fan from the Zorn/Largent days. Hell, I was a fan of Largent...how could you not be? That's the exception...and I believe he has stayed a Squaks fan since. If you stick out the lean years, you are no longer a frontrunner.

SteelerEmpire
04-16-2012, 10:17 AM
For me it's the d-head fans; but the flip side of the coin is that without them, the experience would be a lot more boring. So it's a damned if we do, damned if we don't type thing.
Here's two good reads on the the subject that may shed a bit more light on it:

Article 1:

"social scientific research focuses largely on the effects of fandom, for example, the violence and aggression associated with being a fan...

LINK: http://www.athleticinsight.com/Vol5Iss2/FanDevelopment.htm#Conclusion

Article 2:

"One theory traces the roots of fan psychology to a primitive time when human beings lived in small tribes, and warriors fighting to protect tribes were true genetic representatives of their people, psychologists say..."

LINK: http://www.nytimes.com/2000/08/11/sports/sports-psychology-it-isn-t-just-a-game-clues-to-avid-rooting.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

X-Terminator
04-16-2012, 11:19 AM
Boston fans are just a bunch of douchebags, and all of the hate I have for their teams comes directly from them.

XxKnightxX
04-16-2012, 04:31 PM

Mariners fan, dont judge me lol.

tube517
04-16-2012, 05:10 PM
Boston fans are just a bunch of douchebags, and all of the hate I have for their teams comes directly from them.

Same here. I hate all their teams. Especially the Cheats and Celtics. Can't stand anyone in those uniforms.

Paluma0268
04-17-2012, 07:28 PM
I love how Arkansas fans (count me OUT - no calling pigs for me!) are wanting to quickly put Petrino under the rug and pretend that mess didn't happen. Lol

GoSlash27
04-17-2012, 07:36 PM
I don't dislike any team due to their fans. It's all strictly due to the team itself. I generally don't like the fans of most teams even if I have nothing against the teams themselves. I'm sure they feel the same way about us.

steelreserve
04-17-2012, 10:11 PM
Patriots really have the trifecta going on. Douchebag fan base, fuckhead QB and coach, overhyped to death in the media, AND a bunch of cheating dirty bastards.

OK, i guess that's 4, so it's technically not a "trifecta," but whatever.

vader29
04-17-2012, 10:57 PM
I hate the new Steeler throwback uniforms. :heh:

Dino 6 Rings
04-18-2012, 04:28 PM
I love how Arkansas fans (count me OUT - no calling pigs for me!) are wanting to quickly put Petrino under the rug and pretend that mess didn't happen. Lol

I'm in Arkansas and have adopted the Hawgs as my favorite SEC Team and calling the Hawgs if a lot of fun!

WOOOOOOO PIG SOOIE! RAZORBACKS!

Dino 6 Rings
04-18-2012, 04:32 PM
As for hating on other teams, in the Pro's I hate whoever is on our schedule next. So that means I officially HATE THE DIRTY CUT BLOCKING Denver Broncos! I can't wait for us to get a revenge game in against those asssshats! I hate their fcking guts!

I grew up in NJ hating all NY/NJ Teams because the fans are jerks, same for most Boston fans.

There is only one team I hate, and I mean I physically spit on the floor at the slightest mention of their name...I Hate PENN SANDUSKY U! They are a bunch of....oh man...let me hold back on that...lets just say I hate their stinking dirty guts.

SPIT

O'Malley
04-18-2012, 05:41 PM
I've come to LOATHE the Seahawks - and it's 100% due to their crybaby asshat fans.

Try living in Portland Oregon surrounded by Shehawks fans!

GoSlash27
04-18-2012, 06:15 PM
msafford,
Whoever that is in your avatar, the look on her face is identical to the one I had when I saw this year's throwback uniform.

silver & black
04-18-2012, 08:00 PM
The only team I despise is the Patr*ots. The rest.... I just don't like. :bounce:

I've been a Raiders fan since I was 8. I'm 52, now. I root for the Indians and the Cavs, as far as home state teams...even though I could do without basketball altogether.:rofl2:

Bluecoat96
04-18-2012, 08:25 PM
msafford,
Whoever that is in your avatar, the look on her face is identical to the one I had when I saw this year's throwback uniform.

:rofl2:

That's my little girl. She gives me that look all the time.

Devilsdancefloor
04-18-2012, 08:45 PM
:rofl2:

That's my little girl. She gives me that look all the time.
Wait for the look at 13 it is so precious you want to choke i mean squeeze'em so tight :lol: But i cant stand browns or bengals fans at all! da bears fans are pretty obnoxious as well, but usually you can talk to them and have a good convo unlike the others i mentioned. but the *'s , 9ers, cowboys i can freaking stand them at all i have no nice thing to say. The ratbirds i at least have a respect for the way they play but i hate'em. the closest to a home team i cheer for is the blackhawks they are 2 hours north of me.

O'Malley
04-19-2012, 04:41 PM
The only team I despise is the Patr*ots. The rest.... I just don't like. :bounce:

I've been a Raiders fan since I was 8. I'm 52, now. I root for the Indians and the Cavs, as far as home state teams...even though I could do without basketball altogether.:rofl2:

Agree with the Pats***.. Portland Trail Blazer fan,Pirates,Pens... But as you said, I could do without Basketball all together..