PDA

View Full Version : Pens Tidbits

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

X-Terminator
05-30-2010, 07:24 PM
May as well re-create the thread here...

I read a rumor at insidepittsburghsports.com that the Pens are about to offer Cooke a 3-year deal. As much as I don't like pumpkin face, I think this is a good move. He more than proved his worth in the playoffs this year and he's invaluable to the 3rd line.

steelpride12
05-30-2010, 07:31 PM

I read a rumor at insidepittsburghsports.com that the Pens are about to offer Cooke a 3-year deal. As much as I don't like pumpkin face, I think this is a good move. He more than proved his worth in the playoffs this year and he's invaluable to the 3rd line.

Great, thanks for creating this legend thread! HA! How hilarious you would be the first to bring up Cooke hehe, but I agree he is a key player to this team. An agitator at heart who isn't afraid to throw 10+ goals in a season and a few in the playoffs. We deserved and I hope this get's done sooner or later.

SteelCityMan786
05-30-2010, 09:45 PM
I don't mind seeing the Pens bring back a guy who can be a big word for "Pain in the Butt." He proved he can valuable when you need that guy to just agitate things. Good Job if they get him a deal.

HometownGal
06-01-2010, 07:09 AM

Well - looks like I'll be buying my Cooke jersey very soon! :yay3: I love me pumpkin face! :love:

NOW - freakin' sign Serg!!!! I know what the rumors say, but I just won't believe the Pens FO would be so stupid as to let Gonch go. He is invaluable not only to the PP, but to the team overall.

X-Terminator
06-01-2010, 07:35 AM
Well - looks like I'll be buying my Cooke jersey very soon! :yay3: I love me pumpkin face! :love:

NOW - freakin' sign Serg!!!! I know what the rumors say, but I just won't believe the Pens FO would be so stupid as to let Gonch go. He is invaluable not only to the PP, but to the team overall.

The latest I've heard on that is 3 years, $12 million, but now it's Gonchar who is hesitating because he wants more money, after both sides have said that it was the term and NOT money that was the issue. I'm not sure what to believe anymore. I DO know that the Pens can't afford to pay Gonchar much more than that, and that if he insists on asking for $5+ million, then he's likely played his last game as a Penguin.

HometownGal
06-01-2010, 07:42 AM
The latest I've heard on that is 3 years, $12 million, but now it's Gonchar who is hesitating because he wants more money, after both sides have said that it was the term and NOT money that was the issue. I'm not sure what to believe anymore. I DO know that the Pens can't afford to pay Gonchar much more than that, and that if he insists on asking for $5+ million, then he's likely played his last game as a Penguin.

You know how I feel about that. If they gave Letang that hefty contract, it's absolute bullshit if they don't sign Serg for all he brings to the team. Who really knows what to believe? I still say Mario and Geno sweet talk him into staying - at least I am praying that is what happens.

steelpride12
06-01-2010, 09:30 AM
You know how I feel about that. If they gave Letang that hefty contract, it's absolute bullshit if they don't sign Serg for all he brings to the team. Who really knows what to believe? I still say Mario and Geno sweet talk him into staying - at least I am praying that is what happens.

I think they payed Letang the money because they believe he is young and will only improve where Gonch is older and they don't wanna pay him the big deal because of that. Of course I am praying also they some how find a deal that fit's him and he is happy with! The team, the defense, and the PP need's him. He one of the most key players for them and the scariest part is going to be the PP without the "QB" at the helm!

X-Terminator
06-01-2010, 09:43 AM
I think they payed Letang the money because they believe he is young and will only improve where Gonch is older and they don't wanna pay him the big deal because of that. Of course I am praying also they some how find a deal that fit's him and he is happy with! The team, the defense, and the PP need's him. He one of the most key players for them and the scariest part is going to be the PP without the "QB" at the helm!

They said that is why they paid Letang that money, but I'm not a believer in paying players on "potential." If he was scoring 60 points a year, then yeah, give it to him. But he hasn't done a thing to earn that contract. He scored three goals in the regular season last year. THREE! He had more goals in the playoffs than he had in the regular season. That isn't going to cut it. Now that he has that deal that may likely cost us our PP QB and defensive leader, he had better produce, or he's going to hear it. Anything less than 50 points next season is not acceptable.

steelpride12
06-01-2010, 01:01 PM
They said that is why they paid Letang that money, but I'm not a believer in paying players on "potential." If he was scoring 60 points a year, then yeah, give it to him. But he hasn't done a thing to earn that contract. He scored three goals in the regular season last year. THREE! He had more goals in the playoffs than he had in the regular season. That isn't going to cut it. Now that he has that deal that may likely cost us our PP QB and defensive leader, he had better produce, or he's going to hear it. Anything less than 50 points next season is not acceptable.

Yupp, surely puts him in the spotlight to succeed and def. if Sarge is gone next season. Im surprised they signed Letang to be honest or at least to that much money because really he has not proved anything other than have the potential to be great, but has not shown it yet. Very un-Penguin like if you ask me. I just hope he comes out big next season or were going to be in trouble on the PP and defense worse than this last season.

zulater
06-02-2010, 05:47 AM
http://www.postgameheroes.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/thirdjers.jpg

Rumors out there today on Mark Madden’s radio show in Pittsburgh that the Penguins will unveil a new third jersey for next year. Apparently it will be similar to the jersey worn by the Pens during Lemieux’s rookie year.http://www.postgameheroes.com/

New /old, Pens jersey? I like it, I hope they go through with it! :high5:

HometownGal
06-02-2010, 06:22 AM

If they let my Serg walk, I'm going to be on Letangs ass next season like flies on shit. Bank it.

SteelMember
06-02-2010, 08:38 AM
If they let my Serg walk, I'm going to be on Letangs ass next season like flies on shit. Bank it.

He has no idea what he's in for, does he. :chuckle:

stlrtruck
06-02-2010, 08:39 AM

I think you might want to make Letang aware of this so you don't get a restraining order or worse yet a warrant for your arrest.

X-Terminator
06-02-2010, 02:44 PM
http://www.postgameheroes.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/thirdjers.jpg

Rumors out there today on Mark Madden’s radio show in Pittsburgh that the Penguins will unveil a new third jersey for next year. Apparently it will be similar to the jersey worn by the Pens during Lemieux’s rookie year.http://www.postgameheroes.com/

New /old, Pens jersey? I like it, I hope they go through with it!:high5:

HA! I called it on the hockey board I post on! :high5: That, to me, is the only one that makes sense, especially with them playing in the Winter Classic this season.

Ditto, which should be interesting considering I own his jersey. Don't matter to me - either he puts up Sergei-like numbers, or he gets his ass flamed all season.

steelpride12
06-02-2010, 03:14 PM
Letang has some big standards to live under next season, and I like those jersey's a lot actually makes sense!

psusteelerspens4life
06-02-2010, 06:29 PM
Latang has these mental lapses sometimes, I kinda grit my teeth when I see him with the puck in our zone he gets careless. I like Letang a lot but just sometimes I just dont know , he does have a nice slapshot.

SteelMember
06-03-2010, 09:55 AM
Crosby up for another NHL award (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/s_684210.html)

By Rob Rossi
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, June 3, 2010

Sidney Crosby may consider rewriting the adage that what happens in Vegas stays there.

Crosby, the Penguins' captain, is a finalist for the Mark Messier NHL Leadership Award, the third honor for which he will contend on June 23 at the NHL Awards Show in Las Vegas. He is also a finalist for the Hart Trophy (MVP) and Ted Lindsay Award (top player).

Crosby won the Hart and Lester B. Pearson Award, the Lindsay Award's former name, in 2007 after leading the NHL in regular-season scoring and the Penguins to their first playoff berth since 2001.

The Messier Award recognizes an individual as a superior leader in hockey and a contributing member of society, and its finalists and winner are determined by Hockey Hall-of-Famer and legendary former team captain Mark Messier, who won six titles while with the Edmonton Oilers and New York Rangers.

During the Stanley Cup Final last spring, Messier lauded Crosby's leadership in an interview with the Tribune-Review. Days later Crosby, then 21, became the youngest captain to win the Cup.

He followed with a career-best 51 goals in the regular season, a total that tied him with Tampa Bay center Steven Stamkos for the NHL lead. He also finished tied for second overall with 109 points while leading the Penguins to a 101-point season.

Penguins coach Dan Bylsma cited Crosby's attention to detail with his shot as just one example of his leadership.

"It was also his willingness to talk to the team at certain times," he said yesterday. "His willingness to stand up in front of those guys when it was needed is something he took great strides in, and it speaks to his maturity in feeling more comfortable in this role.

"The thing that strikes me about Sid is his role throughout hockey, and how everyone who meets him says it was a positive experience."

Crosby scored the winning goal for Canada in overtime of the gold-medal game at the Vancouver Olympics.

The goalie he bested in that game, Buffalo's Ryan Miller, is also a Messier Award finalist. Miller was the MVP of that tournament.

The other finalist is Phoenix captain Sean Doan, whose Coyotes overcame ownership turmoil to earn the Western Conference's No. 4 playoff seed. Doan is the last Coyotes player to have played for the team when it was the Winnipeg Jets.

SteelMember
06-03-2010, 01:02 PM
Penguins' talks with Gonchar, Cooke heat up next week (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10153/1062387-61.stm)

Wednesday, June 02, 2010
By Dave Molinari, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Penguins general manager Ray Shero is headed back to the Stanley Cup final.

This time, though, he will not have a vested interest in the outcome.

Shero will join his fellow general managers today in Philadelphia, where Game 3 of the Cup final between the Flyers and Chicago will be played tonight, for a meeting held during the championship round each year.

One major topic will be the salary-cap ceiling for 2010-11. NHL commissioner Gary Bettman has projected a $2 million increase over the $56.8 million figure for the season now winding down, and that figures to have an impact on how Shero approaches negotiations with players who are eligible for unrestricted free agency if not re-signed by July 1.

Those talks with the agents representing guys such as Sergei Gonchar and Matt Cooke likely will begin in earnest next week, according to Shero and several agents.

"We've talked about some parameters [for contracts], but there's nothing concrete at this point," Shero said. "Most likely next week, we'll get into [negotiations with] a few of our free agents."

Specifically, he said talks with the Cooke camp are "not too far along," and reiterated that he had a general conversation with Gonchar's agent, J.P. Barry, during the NHL draft combine in Toronto last week.

"I'm not close on anything now," Shero said.

Defenseman Brooks Orpik, however, is getting closer to undergoing the surgery needed to repair an abdominal injury that bothered him for the second half of the season.

Shero said the operation is scheduled for around the middle of this month, and that Orpik will be able to start training "two or three weeks" after it is performed.

What the chances are of Orpik having Johan Fransson of Sweden alongside him on the Penguins' blue line next season remains to be seen.

The Penguins thought enough of Fransson to discuss a conditional trade for his rights with Los Angeles, but his status at the moment is cloudy, at best.

Although the Kings apparently failed to sign him by the June 1 deadline, which would make Fransson an unrestricted free agent in the NHL, he has a contract with Lulea in Sweden's Elitserien, and there are conflicting reports about whether he also has a deal in place with Dynamo Minsk of the Kontinental Hockey League.

If Fransson, 25, is free of his ties to Los Angeles and is not legally bound to the KHL, the Penguins will at least explore the possibility of working out a contract to bring him to North America.

Looks like Cookie (pumpkin face :lol:) isn't a lock just yet. "not to far along" anyway.

steelpride12
06-03-2010, 02:07 PM
I have a gut feeling Cooke is a lock and will get his deal soon enough. Nothing is carved in stone, but he is in arms length of a deal and we all know what he means to the third line and how big of an agitator he is.

X-Terminator
06-04-2010, 08:33 AM
Let's hope that this Johan Fransson isn't as big a candy ass as the Wings' Johan Franzen. Actually, let's hope he at least will throw a check every now and then. Damn, the Pens' blueline is so fucking soft...

As for Cooke and Gonchar, the fact that talks are going to heat up in the next week is a good sign. Whether or not they'll get a deal done remains to be seen, especially with Gonchar.

And congrats to Sid on another award nomination. If he wins, I don't want to hear another soul anywhere question his leadership qualities. It's unbelievable how uneducated many hockey fans are.

steelpride12
06-04-2010, 12:37 PM
Let's hope that this Johan Fransson isn't as big a candy ass as the Wings' Johan Franzen. Actually, let's hope he at least will throw a check every now and then. Damn, the Pens' blueline is so fucking soft...

As for Cooke and Gonchar, the fact that talks are going to heat up in the next week is a good sign. Whether or not they'll get a deal done remains to be seen, especially with Gonchar.

And congrats to Sid on another award nomination. If he wins, I don't want to hear another soul anywhere question his leadership qualities. It's unbelievable how uneducated many hockey fans are.
It sure is a shame, but you and I both know these bullshit rumors and questioning of Sid will never stop. I don't care if he win 7 Stanley Cups and MVP 4 straight seasons and wins all the awards possible. Some hockey fans just have no sense and will say anything to stir up the media.

SteelMember
06-15-2010, 09:50 AM
Shero at work with Pens' potential free agents (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/s_686007.html)

By Rob Rossi
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, June 15, 2010

That time of year has started for Penguins general manager Ray Shero.

With the NHL free-agent period set to open July 1, Shero said Monday his talks with the Penguins' impending unrestricted free agents will kick into gear this week.

"We're kind of getting started at this point, just like we get started at this point every year," he said.

Shero is aware that of his eight players set for unrestricted status, two are of heated interest among fans — top defenseman Sergei Gonchar and third-line left wing Matt Cooke.

Though Shero's policy is not to discuss contract negotiations during the process, he has held preliminary discussions with representatives for Gonchar and Cooke. Both players have said their preference is to remain with the Penguins.

Gonchar's agent, JP Barry, said there was nothing new to report about his client's future with the Penguins. Cooke's agent, Pat Morris, could not be reached for comment.

Uncertainty regarding the salary-cap ceiling for next season is not a significant factor in talks with any potential free agent, Shero said. He added the deadline for a final cap number is June 30.

The Penguins are at around $45 million for 15 NHL regulars set to return next season. Commissioner Gary Bettman said during the Stanley Cup Final he expects the cap to get about a $2 million boost from its 2009-10 ceiling ($56.8 million).

The Penguins eligible for unrestricted status include four defensemen and four wingers who combined for a $16.7 million cap hit last season.

The upcoming free-agent class is considered defense-heavy and loaded with proven veterans such as Gonchar. The crop of wingers — always of interest for Penguins fans given the club's long-term deals with centerpiece centers Sidney Crosby, Evgeni Malkin and Jordan Staal — is considered the weakest since the 2004-05 NHL lockout.

Notes: The Penguins re-signed defenseman Steve Wagner to a one-year contract. He would make $500,000 on the two-way contract if he plays in the NHL. Wagner was acquired Feb. 11 from St. Louis in exchange for defenseman Nate Guenin. ... Shero on defenseman Brooks Orpik, who underwent sports hernia surgery last Friday: "We knew about it near the end of the (regular) season. It was one of those things that wasn't great for him, but with injuries in the playoffs, you've got to play through it. He'll be ready for training camp."

steelerdude15
06-15-2010, 10:27 AM
Shero is aware that of his eight players set for unrestricted status, two are of heated interest among fans — top defenseman Sergei Gonchar and third-line left wing Matt Cooke.
I really hope we resign the both of them, especially Gonchar, he's a monster on defense and a vital part of our team. Cooke is a good player as well and his play is improving IMO.

X-Terminator
06-15-2010, 10:53 AM
I really hope we resign the both of them, especially Gonchar, he's a monster on defense and a vital part of our team. Cooke is a good player as well and his play is improving IMO.

I see both of them being re-signed. I've been hearing all sorts of rumors about how much they're asking for, but really, the only ones who know for sure are Shero, Cooke, Gonchar and their agents. Like I've read that Cooke could get up to $3 million a year - from who? There isn't a team in the league that's going to pay that much for a 3rd-line LW.

steelpride12
06-15-2010, 11:44 AM
I see both of them being re-signed. I've been hearing all sorts of rumors about how much they're asking for, but really, the only ones who know for sure are Shero, Cooke, Gonchar and their agents. Like I've read that Cooke could get up to $3 million a year - from who? There isn't a team in the league that's going to pay that much for a 3rd-line LW.
Im still feel weary about Gonch though. Through all the smoke all I see are defense men getting deals with the Pens. How can that be good news to Gonch?

X-Terminator
06-15-2010, 12:04 PM
Im still feel weary about Gonch though. Through all the smoke all I see are defense men getting deals with the Pens. How can that be good news to Gonch?

They signed 2 guys to 2-way contracts, which means they likely will end up in the minors. Means nothing to Gonchar's status. The only thing that would prevent a deal is Gonchar insisting on a contract that the Pens just can't afford.

SteelMember
06-15-2010, 12:05 PM
or is too long.

X-Terminator
06-15-2010, 12:08 PM
or is too long.

That too. I think the Pens only want to offer a 2-3 year deal due to his age and the fact that some pretty important players will be up for new deals in 3 years, namely Crosby and Staal.

steelpride12
06-15-2010, 01:01 PM
That too. I think the Pens only want to offer a 2-3 year deal due to his age and the fact that some pretty important players will be up for new deals in 3 years, namely Crosby and Staal.

True True. I just see like there is too much against the Pens to sign Gonch. I know Shero will figure something out, but Gonch want's big money and a long contract which we are not willing to give him, I jusdt hope Gonch comes to his senses.

cakmakli
06-16-2010, 05:35 AM
At his age, I think Gonchar will follow the money and the security of a long term contract. He already has his name on the Cup so that won't be as much an incentive to stay as it would if it wasn't. I have a feeling that we will see Orpik wearing the A this year.

I think Guerin will be gone also unless he signs for a huge discount. He played okay for a 40 year old but was nothing special. I think Shero can find someone better that wouldn't hit the cap too hard plus we have Tangradi waiting for a chance to play.

X-Terminator
06-16-2010, 07:53 AM
It's looking like our wishes for Mike Yeo to take the first bus out of town may come true - he's reportedly set to become the head coach of the AHL Houston Aeros, and it's expected to be announced today. Hallelujah!!!!

cakmakli
06-16-2010, 08:32 AM
It's looking like our wishes for Mike Yeo to take the first bus out of town may come true - he's reportedly set to become the head coach of the AHL Houston Aeros, and it's expected to be announced today. Hallelujah!!!!

But why? We went from 20th on the PP last year to 19th this year. Yeo is a PP genius

SteelMember
06-16-2010, 08:48 AM
Yesss.

There's no reason we shouldn't be a top 10 PP unit.

I think most teams caught on to the play where we pass it around 10-15 times, and still end up taking the hard slapper from the blue line. :doh:

cakmakli
06-16-2010, 09:00 AM
Yesss.

There's no reason we shouldn't be a top 10 PP unit.

I think most teams caught on to the play where we pass it around 10-15 times, and still end up taking the hard slapper from the blue line. :doh:

Chances are we won't have Gonchar at the blue line taking those hard slappers.

SteelMember
06-16-2010, 09:10 AM
Chances are we won't have Gonchar at the blue line taking those hard slappers.

Which is where he will be missed the most.

He seemed like he was the only one willing to take the shot most times.

I love the pretty goals just as much as anyone, but the ugly ones count just the same. :noidea:

cakmakli
06-16-2010, 10:26 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TYZ3MwPOHBY

X-Terminator
06-16-2010, 10:51 AM
No question they should be a top 10 unit, even without Gonchar, because they still have 2 of the best players in the world on the top unit. How is it that a team like Montreal, who really has maybe one legit scoring threat in Cammalleri, is consistently one of the best PP units in the league? But yet, Mike Yeo is going to get a HC job, even though he was unable to produce a top-10 PP unit with Crosby and Malkin on it. Unreal. The guy should be flipping burgers at Five Guys instead.

steelpride12
06-16-2010, 11:04 AM
I think regardless if Mike returns next season or not the Pens biggest concern other than signing Sarge is to get that PP where it deserves to be. It's unbelievable when you have Gonch, Malkin, and Sid, but are terrible on the PP. With those players next season we better damn well be top 10 to be a legit team heading into the playoffs. The PP killed us against Montreal we couldn't strike anything.

X-Terminator
06-16-2010, 11:23 AM
It's now official :yay3: :

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=531783

Mike Yeo Named Head Coach of the American Hockey League Houston Aeros

Wednesday, 06.16.2010 / 11:15 AM / Features (http://penguins.nhl.com/club/newsindex.htm?location=%2Ffeatures)
By Jason Seidling
Penguins head coach Dan Bylsma will have to make a change to his 2010-11 coaching staff after it was announced on Wednesday that assistant coach Mike Yeo is leaving to become the new head coach of the Houston Aeros of the American Hockey League. Houston is the Minnesota Wild’s top minor-league affiliate.

This will be the first head coaching gig for the 36-year-old North Bay, Ontario native following four-plus seasons behind the bench for the Penguins. During Yeo’s tenure he helped transform the Penguins from the league’s second-worst outfit in ’05-06 to Stanley Cup champions in ’09.

Bylsma thanked Yeo for his hard work and dedication to the Penguins organization while also talking about how he believes Yeo is ready to lead his own team.

“I am really pleased for Mike Yeo,” Bylsma said. “We all have aspirations and Mike has them to be a head coach. He has had the opportunity to learn here and in Wilkes-Barre/Scranton with different head coaches. You can see the progression and the quality of coach that he is. For him to get recognized and get that opportunity in a place where people know he is a quality person is great for Mike.”

Penguins general manager Ray Shero echoed Bylsma’s sentiments.

“This is a fantastic opportunity for him and his family in the American Hockey League,” Shero said. “I talked to Mike the past couple of years about his career goals and (eventually) becoming a head coach in the National Hockey League. We talked about this being a path he might have to take. I am very happy for Mike. He was a big contributor to our staff and a huge reason why we won a Stanley Cup.”

Shero said the Penguins are in no rush to find a replacement for Yeo. Right now Shero has asked Bylsma, Granato, goaltending coach Gilles Meloche and assistant to the general manager Tom Fitzgerald to think of prospective candidates to talk to as the offseason progresses.

“We will put together a list of candidates,” Shero said. “We will look at our criteria and look to fill that void in the future.”

While working closely with Yeo the past year and a half in Pittsburgh, Bylsma has come to appreciate the strengths Yeo will take with him to Houston.

“Mike has a great work ethic,” Bylsma described. “He takes great pride in his own work as well as the players around him. He is also a guy who is willing to learn and grow. He has shown that. He has been able to take what he’s learned from Michel Therrien and what he learned (as a player) in the American Hockey League and added to what we have done here in Pittsburgh alongside myself and (assistant coach) Tony (Granato). That is why he has continued to grow and will continue to be successful.”

Yeo will be reunited in with current Wild general manager Chuck Fletcher, who served as assistant general manager of the Penguins between 2005-08, and Wild head coach Todd Richards, who was the WBS head coach from 2006-08.

“At his age the time is right for him,” Shero said. “He has a relationship with Chuck Fletcher and Todd Richards in Minnesota, plus he played in Houston for a number of years and was a really popular player there. This is great news for his development. The AHL is a great league for coaches to develop.”

In addition to knowing people within the front office, Yeo might also have the chance to coach several players with ties to the Penguins organization who spent time with the Aeros last season in forwards Andy Hilbert, Nathan Smith and Jean-Michel Daoust and defenseman Ryan Lannon.

Yeo will be making a homecoming with the Aeros as he replaces former Penguins head coach Kevin Constantine, whose contract was not renewed following three seasons behind the Houston bench.

During his playing days Yeo spent five seasons with the Aeros between 1994-95 and ’98-99 when the team was a member of the now-defunct International Hockey League. He was the captain of the ’99 squad which captured the Turner Cup championship.

Yeo’s coaching career began the next season when a knee injury ended his playing days just 19 games into his first season with the Baby Penguins in 1999.

At just 26 years of age, Yeo was asked by then-WBS head coach Glenn Patrick to serve as an assistant coach with the team, a spot he retained when Therrien took over behind the bench prior to the ’03-04 campaign.

Yeo spent five full seasons and parts of two others as an assistant at WBS before accepting his first NHL coaching assignment on Dec. 15, 2005 when Therrien was promoted to Pittsburgh to replace Eddie Olczyk.

During Yeo’s time with the Baby Penguins, WBS made two runs to the Calder Cup Final (2000-01 and ’03-04). Combine that with back-to-back Stanley Cup Final appearances with the Penguins, including a championship in ’09, and Yeo has certainly proven himself capable of leading a team deep into the postseason.

Shero and Bylsma both believe that Yeo’s penchant for winning probably helped to play a factor in Fletcher’s decision to give Yeo his first head-coaching opportunity.

“There are not too many people who have a Stanley Cup on their resume and can also say they worked with players like (Sidney) Crosby and (Evgeni) Malkin,” Shero said. “He also worked with many of our younger players and helped develop them to play in Pittsburgh.”

“He now has a lot of experience to take with him winning hockey games and being a Stanley Cup champion and working with the best players in the game,” Bylsma added. “All of those experiences are going to suit him well being a head coach.”

See ya, Mike! Don't let the door hit you in the ass on your way out! :applaudit:

steelpride12
06-16-2010, 11:25 AM
Just got via text message that the starting time for regular season games in the 2010-2011 are going to be at 7:00PM instead of 7:30PM. Ill miss ya Mike Yeo good luck coaching somewhere else not let's get this PP to the top 10.

X-Terminator
06-16-2010, 11:39 AM
Just got via text message that the starting time for regular season games in the 2010-2011 are going to be at 7:00PM instead of 7:30PM. Ill miss ya Mike Yeo good luck coaching somewhere else not let's get this PP to the top 10.

Yeah, I read that on their site earlier. Personally, I like the earlier start time because traffic before games shouldn't be too bad with many people likely just walking from work to the arena, and we'd get home a little earlier instead of not getting home some nights until after 11:00. Plus, I think the location of the arena and entrances are perfect, because now HTG and I have the option of taking the T into downtown and getting off at Steel Plaza, then walking 2 mostly flat blocks to the 5th Avenue entrance rather than drive in and pay for parking.

SteelCityMan786
06-16-2010, 02:02 PM
Speaking of new start times and stuff like that.

Pens to Open Preseason Schedule Sept. 22 vs. Detroit in First Game Ever at CONSOL Energy Center
Wednesday, 06.16.2010 / 11:59 AM / News
Pittsburgh Penguins
The Pittsburgh Penguins will open their 2010 preseason schedule with the first hockey game ever played at CONSOL Energy Center – Wednesday, Sept. 22 against the Detroit Red Wings at 7 p.m.

The team announced its six-game preseason schedule, which includes home-and-home matchups with Detroit, the Columbus Blue Jackets and the defending Stanley Cup champion Chicago Blackhawks.

The other home games are Saturday, Sept. 25 against Columbus and Tuesday, Sept. 28 against Chicago - both starting at 7 p.m.

The Penguins normally play two preseason home games but added a third home game this year because of heightened interest in the new arena.

“Our feeling is that more fans will want the chance to see and experience CONSOL Energy Center, so we thought it made sense to add the third preseason home game,” team president David Morehouse said.

Full season ticket holders will have two of the three preseason games in their packages – the Sept. 22 opener against Detroit and the Sept. 28 matchup with Chicago.

The Penguins are working on a special youth-oriented event in connection with the pre-season game against Columbus on Sept. 25, with details to be announced.

The NHL is expected to announce the 2010-11 regular-season schedule next week.

Ticket information for the general public for all three home preseason games will be available at a later date. Fans should check back at pittsburghpenguins.com for the latest team and ticketing updates.

2010 PITTSBURGH PENGUINS PRESEASON SCHEDULE
Wednesday, Sept. 22 DETROIT 7 p.m.
Friday, Sept. 24 at Columbus TBD
Saturday, Sept. 25 COLUMBUS 7 p.m.
Tuesday, Sept. 28 CHICAGO 7 p.m.
Friday, Oct. 1 at Chicago TBD
Sunday, Oct. 3 at Detroit TBD

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=531785&navid=DL|PIT|home

How appropriate that the Red Wings are the first game of the new arena.

X-Terminator
06-16-2010, 02:33 PM
Personally, I'd rather NOT play Detroit OR Columbus every year. How about scheduling some different teams for a change? Opening the arena with Philthy would have been much better, IMO.

The WH
06-17-2010, 07:12 AM
Did you really close a thread because it was already posted in a different thread under one giant umbrella name? Shit man, might as well just close them all and have ''Pens Tidbits'' be the only thread.

X-Terminator
06-17-2010, 07:19 AM
Did you really close a thread because it was already posted in a different thread under one giant umbrella name? Shit man, might as well just close them all and have ''Pens Tidbits'' be the only thread.

If you read the COC, it falls under the category of posting a redundant thread/topic. If the story has already been posted, it makes no sense to keep the thread open when it's already being discussed. That is why we ask that members search for a topic before posting a new thread, so that we limit redundancy.

The WH
06-17-2010, 07:47 AM
I hope you got your clicking finger exercised for the Steelers regular season then. Especially if your going to be watching for topics discussed inside threads.

COC #7 DOES allow for one thread to exist per topic. Although it's technically negated by COC #1...making #7 redundant. So the rule about redundancy is followed up by a redundant rule.

X-Terminator
06-17-2010, 08:48 AM
I hope you got your clicking finger exercised for the Steelers regular season then. Especially if your going to be watching for topics discussed inside threads.

COC #7 DOES allow for one thread to exist per topic. Although it's technically negated by COC #1...making #7 redundant. So the rule about redundancy is followed up by a redundant rule.

You want to tell me what the big problem is with closing that thread? Sheesh, it's not like I kicked you in the balls or something! The story was already posted. There's no need for a 2nd thread. They do this on other boards too, and nobody complains about it. So again, what's the problem?

The WH
06-17-2010, 11:42 AM
Because I have to argue, it's the internet for heaven sakes. What would be the fun if I just took it? BUT I (thought) it was inside the rules.

I still luv you though.

SteelMember
06-17-2010, 12:00 PM
Hey, have you guys heard Mike Yeo left the Penguins to coach for the Wild's AHL team in Houston.

:behindsofa:

:chuckle:

Killer
06-17-2010, 02:32 PM
Zowza!

Halak traded to the Blues!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=5298330

------------------

Habs fans riot!

HometownGal
06-17-2010, 06:59 PM

Serg and his agent have to meet Shero half way. I think if they offer him 3 years at $4 - $4.25 mil a year, he should take it. Both sides know of his tremendous value to the team and I think they will come to an agreement eventually. I'll lose my mind if my Serg isn't signed.

As for Cookie - he's another must sign. His play as a winger greatly improved last season and the guy hits anything and everything that moves out there. I also love his spirit - he's a feisty little bastard and I've grown extremely fond of him.

SIGN 'EM UP SHERO!!!!

SteelCityMan786
06-17-2010, 08:27 PM
Zowza!

Halak traded to the Blues!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=5298330

------------------

Habs fans riot!

Wow, what a dumb move. Halak was their MVP. He is the reason why they got to the ECF last year.

X-Terminator
06-17-2010, 10:02 PM
Wow, what a dumb move. Halak was their MVP. He is the reason why they got to the ECF last year.

I don't understand the move either, and Habs fans are NOT happy. Carey Price had better be the second-coming of Ken Dryden starting next year, or those crazy Habs fans will pitchfork his ass.

HometownGal
06-17-2010, 10:09 PM
Holy shit - are the Habs nucking futs? That young man was the sole reason for their playoff success this season. I wish him well - I really grew to respect him and to the Habs fans . . . .

What goes around comes around. You booed Sid after he brought your country a GOLD. I'm going to thoroughly enjoy him putting puck after puck into the net behind Price next season. :upyours:

SteelCityMan786
06-17-2010, 10:19 PM
I don't understand the move either, and Habs fans are NOT happy. Carey Price had better be the second-coming of Ken Dryden starting next year, or those crazy Habs fans will pitchfork his ass.

I would be expressing the same feelings if I were theme. Not only will they pitchfork his ass if he isn't, but they will also pitchfork Pierre Gauthier's ass to for being dumb enough to trade him.

Holy shit - are the Habs nucking futs? That young man was the sole reason for their playoff success this season. I wish him well - I really grew to respect him and to the Habs fans . . . .

What goes around comes around. You booed Sid after he brought your country a GOLD. I'm going to thoroughly enjoy him putting puck after puck into the net behind Price next season. :upyours:

Same here, this was dumb on the Habs part. Carey Price is NOT their answer to their goalie problems AT ALL. He would be better served as a backup in Montreal.

I thoroughly enjoy watching Sid put the puck behind pretty much all goalies, so this would be nothing new.

steelpride12
06-17-2010, 11:19 PM
Oh WOW Montreal now that Ill never understand. Without Halak you lose first round of the playoffs or maybe not even make them and now again for another season you hope Price is the answer, sorry not happening. Good luck dealing with your blood hungry fan base now.

steelpride12
06-17-2010, 11:20 PM
Just hilarious, typical Cryer fans!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QbhdvZMpEC8

Killer
06-18-2010, 12:39 AM

No shit

and still you bitches give me no karma

SteelMember
06-18-2010, 07:39 AM
No shit

:lol:

You karma whore... It's not like they traded Patrick Roy... wait a minute. :doh:

HometownGal
06-18-2010, 07:52 AM
No shit

Giveth and you shall receiveth. :tongue1: ;)

cakmakli
06-18-2010, 08:16 AM

Salary dump.

When did Nutting buy the Habs?

The WH
06-18-2010, 12:08 PM
http://penguins.nhl.tv/team/console.jsp?catid=19&id=72562

Sweet.

They edited out all the workers taking their 2 hours lunches, though.

X-Terminator
06-18-2010, 12:45 PM
That is pretty cool. I got to see first-hand most of the progress since I used to ride past it on the bus every day from work. It is awesome to see it almost done and 2 months away from its grand opening. Can't wait to see the first game there Sept. 22!

BTW, Mellon Arena officially closes August 1. After that, the city, county and team will decide its ultimate fate. It's going to be a sad day - I have so many memories in that old barn. Just sucks that the last game I saw there was game 4 against the Habs, which they lost.

The WH
06-18-2010, 01:10 PM
If it ain't falling over, turn it into a public skating rink/mall.

X-Terminator
06-18-2010, 01:20 PM
That is one of the proposals being considered. They also have thought about keeping half of the dome and turning it into an amphitheater. However, the Hill District residents and the Pens want it demolished and turned into a mix of housing and retail.

steelpride12
06-18-2010, 02:10 PM
Oh How Ill miss the old Civic Arena. Many memories over the short 13 years Ive been in there.

HometownGal
06-18-2010, 03:52 PM
However, the Hill District residents and the Pens want it demolished and turned into a mix of housing and retail.

FUCK the Hill District "residents". WTH have they ever done to support the Pens or anything to do with that arena? I'm sick to death of them feeling entitled to have a say in everything that goes on with that place. It's bad enough that those losers are going to be stealing the jobs of 1/2 of the arena personnel - some of whom have had those jobs in excess of 10 years but now they want to call the shots on what is done with the arena.

FUCK THEM. :upyours:

Devilsdancefloor
06-18-2010, 09:15 PM
So a question fopr the pen fans. Do they resign Gonchar or let him walk? he has been hurt it seems a lot the past few years, but still imho a really good PP player.

Pittsburghfan
06-18-2010, 09:47 PM
So a question fopr the pen fans. Do they resign Gonchar or let him walk? he has been hurt it seems a lot the past few years, but still imho a really good PP player.

From what I have read he wants around 4-5 mil per season at 3 years. So right now if that is true, it looks like Gonchar is going to walk.

X-Terminator
06-18-2010, 09:54 PM
From what I have read he wants around 4-5 mil per season at 3 years. So right now if that is true, it looks like Gonchar is going to walk.

I've read the same thing, and like I said from the beginning - if he insists on asking for $5 million a year, then let him walk. The Pens just can't afford it. If he'd take $4 million, the Pens should make every attempt to re-sign him. I don't think that's an unreasonable salary.

steelpride12
06-18-2010, 09:57 PM
FUCK the Hill District "residents". WTH have they ever done to support the Pens or anything to do with that arena? I'm sick to death of them feeling entitled to have a say in everything that goes on with that place. It's bad enough that those losers are going to be stealing the jobs of 1/2 of the arena personnel - some of whom have had those jobs in excess of 10 years but now they want to call the shots on what is done with the arena.

The same hill district where there a daily shooting is as common as birds flying, ya they can screw themselves and should have no say!

X-Terminator
06-18-2010, 10:01 PM

Nothing, except bitch and moan about how unfair it was for the city to build the arena there. That's really why most of the older residents want it torn down - they've hated that building from the day it was built. And it's complete bullshit that a lot of good people - some of whom we've gotten to know very well - are going to lose their jobs because they demanded that they get first dibs on jobs in the new arena. The Pens and SMG really had no choice, because the Hill District leaders were prepared to do whatever they had to do to block or delay the arena being built, and they didn't want to risk it. I'm having a hard time figuring out how they deserved anything anyway when the arena is in Uptown, not the Hill District. You didn't hear anything about Uptown residents demanding a "community benefits agreement," did you? The only Hill resident that I know of who truly deserves something is the lady who has been a Pens' season ticket holder for over 25 years. She was going to games when she was probably the only black person in the building who wasn't trying to sell you something or taking you to your seat. Now THAT'S supporting your team. If there were many more like her, I wouldn't have one bad thing to say.

The WH
06-19-2010, 02:41 AM
If the condition of half the residencies in the Hill District are a reflection of how clean the residents are...the CEC will be trashed in a year or all of the hill district residents will be out of jobs and the Mellon people will have jobs again.

and yes, HTG, Fuck them.

HometownGal
06-19-2010, 05:17 AM

I don't feel $4 mil for 3 years is unreasonble either, considering what Serg brings to the team and how vital he is to the Pens PP. Who's going to replace him - Letang . . . . GoGo? :lol: The Pens should make every effort to sign him and sign him SOON.

Killer
06-19-2010, 07:47 AM
Salary dump.

I don't think so - according to his agent - they never even talked contract - at all - they just picked Price over the guy that took them to the deepest playoff run in the last 17 years.

ha ha

you don't even need to speak Frenchie for this

http://cache-thumb1.pressdisplay.com/pressdisplay/docserver/getimage.aspx?file=25272010061800000000001001&page=1&scale=50

steelpride12
06-19-2010, 09:38 AM
I don't feel $4 mil for 3 years is unreasonble either, considering what Serg brings to the team and how vital he is to the Pens PP. Who's going to replace him - Letang . . . . GoGo? :lol: The Pens should make every effort to sign him and sign him SOON.
Yes I think it's Shero and the Pens that need to be assertive here and make a reasonable offer. Sorry, but Gonch is worth the money, he is our entire PP and defense and without him at the point we would be in big trouble. Letang and GoGo just aren't and would never fill the void Gonch would leave, SIGN HIM!

X-Terminator
06-19-2010, 12:26 PM
Well, once again Ray Shero has gone and pissed me off. The Flyers traded for the rights to Dan Hamhuis today, a guy he DESPERATELY needed on his team. Way to go, Ray - let your biggest division rival improve while you sit there with your thumbs up your ass. :mad2:

HometownGal
06-19-2010, 01:52 PM
Well, once again Ray Shero has gone and pissed me off. The Flyers traded for the rights to Dan Hamhuis today, a guy he DESPERATELY needed on his team. Way to go, Ray - let your biggest division rival improve while you sit there with your thumbs up your ass. :mad2:

I almost always trust Shero's judgment because he's made a ton of good moves since he's been here, but I also have to question this move. So - what did we get in return? A 6th round draft choice next year?

The WH
06-19-2010, 02:40 PM
Dude needs to get Sid someone who can play at 80% Sid's level.

X-Terminator
06-19-2010, 02:45 PM
I almost always trust Shero's judgment because he's made a ton of good moves since he's been here, but I also have to question this move. So - what did we get in return? A 6th round draft choice next year?

Nah, I'm pissed because he didn't try to trade for the rights to Hamhuis, who was one of the most sought-after FA defensemen, and instead let him go to the Flyers. This is the stuff that really ticks me off about him - he apparently doesn't have the testicular fortitude to make trades like this. He's too damn spooked about the Hossa deal...well, it's time to get over that, Ray, and do whatever it takes to improve the team.

HometownGal
06-19-2010, 02:56 PM
Nah, I'm pissed because he didn't try to trade for the rights to Hamhuis, who was one of the most sought-after FA defensemen, and instead let him go to the Flyers. This is the stuff that really ticks me off about him - he apparently doesn't have the testicular fortitude to make trades like this. He's too damn spooked about the Hossa deal...well, it's time to get over that, Ray, and do whatever it takes to improve the team.

Ahhhh - I see. I misunderstood your post. I thought we got Hamhuis and then traded him away to the Filth of Delphia.

The WH
06-19-2010, 02:59 PM
The thing about the Hossa deal was, it worked great....for the 4 months he was with the team. They didn't lose much in the deal, either.

I think he's afraid of making a mistake and being demonized as the guy that fucked up ''Mario's Penguins''

HometownGal
06-19-2010, 03:01 PM
The thing about the Hossa deal was, it worked great....for the 4 months he was with the team. They didn't lose much in the deal, either.

I think he's afraid of making a mistake and being demonized as the guy that fucked up ''Mario's Penguins''

You could very well be right, but I think Mario has a ton of trust in Shero and would trust his judgment on just about anything.

X-Terminator
06-19-2010, 03:10 PM
You could very well be right, but I think Mario has a ton of trust in Shero and would trust his judgment on just about anything.

Well that's apparently the case, because I've read that he's about to sign him to an extension that would make him one of the highest-paid GMs in the league. But if he's going to be the GM long-term, he can't be afraid to take a risk every now and then. I know I'm getting a little tired of having to settle for table scraps while other teams go after filet mignon. The Flyers are up against the cap too, but their GM was still willing to take a risk on Hamhuis, something that Shero could have easily done.

Anyway, I've also read that talks between Shero and Gonchar have heated up over the past 72 hours, so there may be something on the horizon there. I hope so, because keeping him would definitely lessen the blow of losing out on Hamhuis.

I-Want-Troy's-Hair
06-19-2010, 07:36 PM
Pretty cool video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nWGhE081uiU

steelpride12
06-20-2010, 07:57 AM
Well that's apparently the case, because I've read that he's about to sign him to an extension that would make him one of the highest-paid GMs in the league. But if he's going to be the GM long-term, he can't be afraid to take a risk every now and then. I know I'm getting a little tired of having to settle for table scraps while other teams go after filet mignon. The Flyers are up against the cap too, but their GM was still willing to take a risk on Hamhuis, something that Shero could have easily done.

Anyway, I've also read that talks between Shero and Gonchar have heated up over the past 72 hours, so there may be something on the horizon there. I hope so, because keeping him would definitely lessen the blow of losing out on Hamhuis.
Dammit how could we let Hamhuis slip out of our hands when defense men is going to be a big offseason issue this! Damn Shero, I always trust his judgment and any decision he makes because they usually are great moves and signings, but sheesh not a good day. Well let's hope these talks between Gonch are positive because If we lose him, they this "non" move by Shero is going to make it a whole hell of a lot worse!

HometownGal
06-20-2010, 08:02 AM
Pretty cool video.

Awesome video IWTH! :thumbsup: :clap2:

steelerdude15
06-20-2010, 10:42 PM
Pretty cool video.

Really cool video, thanks for sharing.

steelerdude15
06-20-2010, 10:54 PM
Nothing, except bitch and moan about how unfair it was for the city to build the arena there. That's really why most of the older residents want it torn down - they've hated that building from the day it was built. And it's complete bullshit that a lot of good people - some of whom we've gotten to know very well - are going to lose their jobs because they demanded that they get first dibs on jobs in the new arena. The Pens and SMG really had no choice, because the Hill District leaders were prepared to do whatever they had to do to block or delay the arena being built, and they didn't want to risk it. I'm having a hard time figuring out how they deserved anything anyway when the arena is in Uptown, not the Hill District. You didn't hear anything about Uptown residents demanding a "community benefits agreement," did you? The only Hill resident that I know of who truly deserves something is the lady who has been a Pens' season ticket holder for over 25 years. She was going to games when she was probably the only black person in the building who wasn't trying to sell you something or taking you to your seat. Now THAT'S supporting your team. If there were many more like her, I wouldn't have one bad thing to say.
Let them bitch and complain. IMO the CEC is making the city nicer and making the skyline look cooler (if you look at it in the right place). I'm sure going to miss Mellon, but sometimes you have to move on. :no: They can say what they want since it's our right, but I say keep it and give the jobs to the employees from Mellon.

SteelCityMan786
06-21-2010, 03:48 PM
Guess who is the first regular season game at Consol Energy Center????

If you guessed Philadelphia, you would be correct.

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=532204&cmpid=pit-fb-pghpenguins
Pens To Play 1st Regular-Season Game At CONSOL Energy Center Thursday, October 7 Against Philadelphia Flyers
Monday, 06.21.2010 / 4:30 PM / News
Pittsburgh Penguins
The Pittsburgh Penguins will play the first regular-season game in the history of CONSOL Energy Center on Thursday, Oct. 7, when they open their 2010-11 NHL schedule by hosting the Philadelphia Flyers at 7 p.m.

The remainder of the Penguins’ schedule will be announced on Tuesday. The NHL plans to release the entire 2010-11 regular season schedule Tuesday at 12 noon.

salamander
06-21-2010, 04:02 PM
(If I wasn't supposed to start a separate thread about opening against Philly, I'm sorry :peep:)

Anyways, I think it's definitely going to be a good game and I can't wait to beat up the Cryers in the new home!

Hey Philadelphia: :upyours:

SteelCityMan786
06-21-2010, 04:17 PM
(If I wasn't supposed to start a separate thread about opening against Philly, I'm sorry :peep:)

Anyways, I think it's definitely going to be a good game and I can't wait to beat up the Cryers in the new home!

Don't worry about it, stuff happens.

X-Terminator
06-21-2010, 05:42 PM
My wish has been granted! Thank you hockey gods! :whoo:

To me, the Orange Thugs were the only opponent that would be the most fitting to open up our new barn. Hopefully the Pens send their asses out of it with their tails between their legs!

Well, we suggest that members search to see if a topic had already been posted before creating a new thread. No big deal though. :drink:

HometownGal
06-21-2010, 06:39 PM
Hopefully, we'll get the opener in our Plan!

Was listening to KDKA Sports Beat tonight and one of the Pens writers was on and said that the chances of Serg staying with the Pens is 50/50. He also said what XT reported the other day that both sides are fervently trying to come to an agreement. Apparently, Serg's side has presented the Pens with a proposal and hopefully, it's something both sides can agree on. I can't even begin to imagine the Pens beginning the season without my Serg. What also disturbs me is that this guy said that he thinks the Pens will hang onto both Eaton and McKee, which really frosts my ass, as they could use that money for other purposes, like signing Serg and Cookie. :mad2:

Also - Ben Lovejoy was signed to a 3 year contract @ $525,000 per year.

X-Terminator
06-21-2010, 09:06 PM
Hopefully, we'll get the opener in our Plan!

Was listening to KDKA Sports Beat tonight and one of the Pens writers was on and said that the chances of Serg staying with the Pens is 50/50. He also said what XT reported the other day that both sides are fervently trying to come to an agreement. Apparently, Serg's side has presented the Pens with a proposal and hopefully, it's something both sides can agree on. I can't even begin to imagine the Pens beginning the season without my Serg. What also disturbs me is that this guy said that he thinks the Pens will hang onto both Eaton and McKee, which really frosts my ass, as they could use that money for other purposes, like signing Serg and Cookie. :mad2:

Also - Ben Lovejoy was signed to a 3 year contract @ $525,000 per year.

The opener is guaranteed in our plan, just as always! :rockon: We also have the first preseason game, which will be the first hockey game ever played in Consol, so that should be cool too!

I just hope whatever proposal Gonchar's camp came up with, it's something within reason. He and his agent know what the Pens' cap situation is, so you'd think they wouldn't propose something they know the Pens can't afford. $4 million a year is reasonable; $5 million is not, both financially and in terms of the 35+ rule that comes into play.

I can't understand for the life of me why they want to keep Eaton around. As far as I'm concerned, he's dead weight the Pens can do without. Ben Lovejoy can do the same job and he costs a hell of a lot less. McKee I wouldn't mind keeping around for a reasonable salary, but if he's looking to break the bank, like say $2 million, then forget it.

steelpride12
06-21-2010, 09:40 PM
Ahh Im going to pay whatever it takes to get tickets to the first regular season game against the Cryers! Do you even think I have a chance? and I couldn't even imagine the prices ugh Im saving up now!

Ehh im so nervous everyday I do not hear news on Gonch! I think the longer the worse the chances of signing him. These two sides have been going at it since last season and still nothing come on sign him.

SteelCityMan786
06-22-2010, 06:40 AM
The opener is guaranteed in our plan, just as always! :rockon: We also have the first preseason game, which will be the first hockey game ever played in Consol, so that should be cool too!

I just hope whatever proposal Gonchar's camp came up with, it's something within reason. He and his agent know what the Pens' cap situation is, so you'd think they wouldn't propose something they know the Pens can't afford. $4 million a year is reasonable; $5 million is not, both financially and in terms of the 35+ rule that comes into play.

I can't understand for the life of me why they want to keep Eaton around. As far as I'm concerned, he's dead weight the Pens can do without. Ben Lovejoy can do the same job and he costs a hell of a lot less. McKee I wouldn't mind keeping around for a reasonable salary, but if he's looking to break the bank, like say $2 million, then forget it.

With Gonchar I would say go no more then 2 years $8 Million to get a fair deal done for him much for the reasons you said. Plus they are going to need the room to sign additional guys for this team including some additional wingers. If he doesn't listen, I'd like to see what they think of Volchenkov. Although it won't stun me if Ottawa signs him.

I'd rather have Jay over Mark at the end of the day, but if they can keep both and Eaton is up to the job, I say he's welcomed back. But again, I do agree. Lovejoy is gonna have to be able to show his worth at some point. Why not now?

SteelMember
06-22-2010, 06:53 AM
Cooke agrees to three-year deal with Penguins (Cooke agrees to three-year deal with Penguins[/URL])[/SIZE][/B]

By Rob Rossi, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Tuesday, June 22, 2010
Last updated: 7:25 am

"C" is for contract and the Cookie Monster is staying in Pittsburgh.

Left wing Matt Cooke has reached a verbal agreement on a three-year contract with the Penguins. Term was agreed upon Monday night and the contract has been sent to NHL central registry to be made official.

Financial terms were not immediately known, but Cooke is one of the rare plus-30 players to re-sign with the Penguins on a multi-year deal since Shero was named to his post in May 2006.

Cooke, 31, was one of eight Penguins eligible to become an unrestricted free agent on July 1. Finding a resolution with him and defenseman Sergei Gonchar, 36, were the top offseason priorities of Penguins general manager Ray Shero.

Cooke originally signed with the Penguins in July 2008. In two seasons he scored 28 goals and recorded 61 points, and he became a staple on 'AoeThe Nightmare Line'A with center Jordan Staal and right wing Tyler Kennedy.

Controversial for his penchant to push the envelope with his gritty and abrasive style, Cooke turned in arguably his most impactful season last year with 15 goals, 30 points and a plus-17 rating. He added four playoff goals 'A" three more than he produced on the Penguins'A run to the Stanley Cup in 2009.

His role on the Penguins changed with the hiring of coach Dan Bylsma in February 2009. Bylsma inserted Cooke onto the penalty kill, and that added responsibility sparked a level of consistency to his performance. He has scored 20 goals and recorded 46 points to go with a plus-22 rating in 104 regular-season games he played under Bylsma.

Cooke gained notoriety March 7 with his open-ice hit on Boston Bruins center Marc Savard. Not penalized because the hit was legal, Cooke and the hit were criticized because of the result. Savard was carried from the Mellon Arena ice on a stretcher. He did not play until the second round of the Stanley Cup playoffs because of a concussion.

Cooke was not suspended for the hit, but league general managers drafted a new rule aimed at removing head shots from the game later in the month.

Cooke had stated his preference was to remain with the Penguins, with whom he had become a trusted dressing-room voice. His salary-cap hit was $1.2 million the last two seasons.

Unclear is how his re-singing will impact negotiations between Shero and Gonchar'As agent, JP Barry. The Gonchar camp was awaiting word from Shero on a submitted proposal, and Barry said Monday he hoped to speak with Shero midweek or at the NHL draft this weekend in Los Angeles.

Gonchar is seeking a multi-year contract and has not publicly expressed an eagerness to take less than market value to remain with the Penguins, who expect to be tight against the salary cap entering next season.

HometownGal
06-22-2010, 07:02 AM
Awesome news on Cookie! :yay3: :thumbsup: Guess I can now safely get out there and get my #24 jersey! :clap2:

Now let's get Serg signed and I'll be one happy Pens fan!

X-Terminator
06-22-2010, 07:37 AM
3 more years of Matt Cooke...*sighs* I just hope they didn't overpay for him.

As for Gonchar, no, he hasn't really expressed a willingness to take less than market value, but really, he doesn't have to. He can ask for market value and not compromise on it. Problem is, that would mean he will be wearing another team's uniform next season. I hope he doesn't insist on that.

steelpride12
06-22-2010, 08:05 AM
Woo Great to see Cooke get the 3 year deal we were all expecting this is great news! It was vital to keep that third line together, just one more player we need to get signed and soon, GONCH.

X-Terminator
06-22-2010, 10:45 AM
3 years, $5.4 million, according to capgeek.com...

SteelMember
06-22-2010, 10:51 AM
So he went from 1.2 to 1.8. That's a nice little raise, but I don't think it's "overpaying"... do you XT?

X-Terminator
06-22-2010, 10:57 AM
So he went from 1.2 to 1.8. That's a nice little raise, but I don't think it's "overpaying"... do you XT?

No, not for the numbers he put up last year. That's worth an extra 600k per year. Overpaying would have been paying him between 2-3 million a year, like it had been rumored.

SteelMember
06-22-2010, 11:03 AM
No, not for the numbers he put up last year. That's worth an extra 600k per year. Overpaying would have been paying him between 2-3 million a year, like it had been rumored.

I agree. His numbers were good, and his work on the PK merited it, imo. Now if we just get our PP quarterback re-signed, we can concentrate on getting a decent winger... as usual. :doh:

X-Terminator
06-22-2010, 11:44 AM
Pens' schedule released today: http://penguins.nhl.com/club/schedule.htm

Interesting tidbits - the Pens do not have a homestand longer than 3 games all season, yet they will have 3 4+ game road trips, 2 of which are in the last 6 weeks of the season when teams are fighting for playoff spots. The schedule maker was not kind to them this year.

Killer
06-22-2010, 12:49 PM
Yay! Glad to see Cooke back.

$1.8M isn't too bad a cap hit.

Rumor is, Pens will be going hard after Whitney on July 1st.

If Gonchar is holding out for $6M a year - he's gone.

X-Terminator
06-22-2010, 01:05 PM
That would be Ray Whitney, so there's no confusion with Ryan Whitney.

The Pens went hard after him at the trade deadline, but the Canes' GM wanted a 1st round pick or Goligoski and a 2nd round pick for him, and Shero said no. My only problem with him is that he's 38 years old, and I really don't want to take a chance on another player who is a couple years away from retirement.

Killer
06-22-2010, 01:19 PM
Penguins re-sign defenseman Ben Lovejoy to three-year contract

http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=532209&cmpid=pit-twt-pghpenguins

---------------

The Pittsburgh Penguins have signed defenseman Ben Lovejoy to a three-year contract, it was announced today by executive vice president and general manager Ray Shero.

The new contract goes into effect at the start of the 2010-11 season and will run through 2012-13.

The deal is a two-way contract for the 2010-11 campaign, and will pay Lovejoy $525,000 at the NHL level. He will earn $525,000 in 2011-12 and $525,000 in 2012-13.

steelpride12
06-22-2010, 03:10 PM
That would be Ray Whitney, so there's no confusion with Ryan Whitney.

The Pens went hard after him at the trade deadline, but the Canes' GM wanted a 1st round pick or Goligoski and a 2nd round pick for him, and Shero said no. My only problem with him is that he's 38 years old, and I really don't want to take a chance on another player who is a couple years away from retirement.
Don't get me wrong Whitney is a great winger, but I would never give up much for a 38 year old player. Im sorry, but the Pens need to stay young and continue to build from the ground up as success has followed that routine. It's hard to find young exceptional wingers, but I think it's worth waiting for they paying a pretty penny for Whit.

HometownGal
06-22-2010, 03:23 PM
A friend of mine just sent me a text saying that Ray Shero was on the radio a little while ago saying that the Cooke signing "isn't a done deal".

Killer
06-22-2010, 03:47 PM
Cooke agrees to three-year deal with Penguins

Left wing Matt Cooke has reached a verbal agreement on a three-year contract with the Penguins. Term was agreed upon Monday night and the contract has been sent to NHL central registry to be made official

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_687134.html?source=rss&feed=8

X-Terminator
06-22-2010, 04:09 PM
A friend of mine just sent me a text saying that Ray Shero was on the radio a little while ago saying that the Cooke signing "isn't a done deal".

It is now: http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=532347&cmpid=pit-email-penguins

The Pittsburgh Penguins have signed forward Matt Cooke (http://penguins.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8465951) to a three-year contract extension, it was announced today by executive vice president and general manager Ray Shero.

The new contract goes into effect at the start of the 2010-11 season and will run through 2012-13. The average annual value of the deal is $1.8 million over the term of the contract.

Cooke, 31, has played the last two seasons with the Penguins. In that span, the gritty forward has compiled 28 goals, 33 assists, 61 points, a plus-17 rating and 207 penalty minutes in 155 games, as well as a Stanley Cup championship.

Cooke (5-foot-11, 205 pounds) tied a career high with 15 goals and recorded 30 points for the fifth time in his career in 2009-10. Cooke, who is also a key contributor to the Penguins’ penalty killing units, finished second on the team with a plus-17 rating and fourth with 183 hits. He added six points (4G-2A) in 13 postseason games.

Cooke joined Pittsburgh after signing as an unrestricted free agent July 5, 2008. In his first campaign with Pittsburgh in 2008-09, the Belleville, Ontario native posted 13 goals, 31 points and 101 penalty minutes in 76 games. He chipped in seven points (1G-6A) in the playoffs and played a key defensive role against the opposing teams’ top line to help the Penguins win their third Stanley Cup title in franchise history.

Cooke, who broke into the league with Vancouver in 1999-2000, has totaled 114 goals, 271 points, 859 penalty minutes and a plus-36 rating in his 11-year career with stints in Vancouver, Washington and Pittsburgh.

HometownGal
06-22-2010, 04:27 PM
Awesome! :yay3: I love me some Cookie!

steelerdude15
06-22-2010, 04:27 PM
Good to see we resigned Matt, hopefully Gonchar will be resigned.

Killer
06-22-2010, 04:39 PM
Good news if the numbers are true...

Salary Cap Raised, CBA Extended

According to Gary Bettman and the NHL, the salary cap for the 2010 - 2011 season will rise by 5% from this past year, and the current collective bargaining agreement (CBA) has been extended for another year.

http://www.dailysportspages.com/forums/showthread.php?73931-Salary-Cap-Raised-CBA-Extended

-----------------

A little over $59M from what I hear

So Pens still have about 12.8 million in cap space?

Michalek - 3.5
Whitney - 3
Marleau?

instead of Gonchar?

That doesn't sound that bad.

X-Terminator
06-22-2010, 04:45 PM
Good news if the numbers are true...

Salary Cap Raised, CBA Extended

According to Gary Bettman and the NHL, the salary cap for the 2010 - 2011 season will rise by 5% from this past year, and the current collective bargaining agreement (CBA) has been extended for another year.

http://www.dailysportspages.com/forums/showthread.php?73931-Salary-Cap-Raised-CBA-Extended

-----------------

A little over $59M from what I hear

So Pens still have about 12.8 million in cap space?

Michalek - 3.5
Whitney - 3
Marleau?

instead of Gonchar?

That doesn't sound that bad.

You mean Zbynek Michalek, the defenseman? I wouldn't mind him. Ray Whitney at 3 million isn't bad. But there's absolutely no way in hell they sign Patrick Marleau. He's looking for $7-8 million a year and that ain't happening here. And I still want Gonchar to stay - the cap going up to $59.6 million likely makes it happen.

Killer
06-22-2010, 04:54 PM
You mean Zbynek Michalek, the defenseman? I wouldn't mind him. .

Yeah - him. When July 1st hits, they will go quick

The NHL’s top 50 unrestricted free agents

17. Zbynek Michalek(notes), D, Phx – A key contributor on the Coyotes’ blueline for the past five seasons, Michalek is mobile, defensively competent and a good passer.

I like this guy too

14. Dan Hamhuis(notes), D, Nsh – Nashville has a stockpile of talented young defensemen, which makes the versatile Hamhuis expendable. The durable 27-year-old already has played six full NHL seasons, missing just nine games.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=AlvwE0gSa_zVGHdBf.nBFzlivLYF?slug=sm-freeagents0616

X-Terminator
06-22-2010, 04:55 PM
The Flyers traded for the rights to Hamhuis and are negotiating with him. There's a chance he may not sign, so he may still be available on July 1.

Killer
06-22-2010, 05:11 PM
spend spend spend - we need some D

HometownGal
06-22-2010, 07:32 PM
spend spend spend - we need some D

We need to keep Gonch for a variety of solid reasons. Hopefully, the FO and Serg will be able to reach an agreement now that the cap is going to be higher. Serg and Mario are extremely close and his teammates want him here, so I truly believe it is going to happen.

Sure wouldn't mind dumping both Eaton and McKee, though. I wish we had never let Scuds go.

Killer
06-22-2010, 07:50 PM
you want everything

HometownGal
06-22-2010, 08:18 PM
you want everything

Damned right. I'm a woman. ;) :heh: :tongue1:

Killer
06-22-2010, 08:30 PM
We want the world and we want it now!

steelpride12
06-22-2010, 08:59 PM
We need to keep Gonch for a variety of solid reasons. Hopefully, the FO and Serg will be able to reach an agreement now that the cap is going to be higher. Serg and Mario are extremely close and his teammates want him here, so I truly believe it is going to happen.

Sure wouldn't mind dumping both Eaton and McKee, though. I wish we had never let Scuds go.

Yes! I sure would love another solid defense men on the team, but Gonch is the #1 priority! I don't think many other D out there that could play like Sarge does on the Pens! Our QB on the PP, a solid D man, and clutch on the blue line I want him over all right now and with the Cap rising that is good news!

Killer
06-23-2010, 08:37 AM
With about $12M to burn - let's go shopping.

We HAVE to get Sid a winger. when Sid gets shut down, we have no offense. The playoffs proved that.

A couple more interesting guys

The NHL’s top 50 unrestricted free agents

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=AlvwE0gSa_zVGHdBf.nBFzlivLYF?slug=sm-freeagents0616

9. Paul Martin(notes), D, NJ – When you’re New Jersey’s best defenseman, that’s saying a lot. Martin plays a responsible two-way game and might blossom even more in a less restrictive system.

15. Maxim Afinogenov(notes), LW, Atl – After crapping out in Buffalo, Afinogenov revived his career playing alongside Kovalchuk in Atlanta last season. A personal-best 24 goals are a testament that Afinogenov can still produce when given the opportunity.

HometownGal
06-23-2010, 09:21 AM
Colby is on the market - I sure wouldn't mind seeing him back in a Pens uni! :thumbsup:

Volchenkov would be a great fit here but his price tag is way too high.

I sure wish we could somehow get Ryan Malone back, but it aint gonna happen any time soon, unfortunately.

X-Terminator
06-23-2010, 10:14 AM
I just read that the Pens have offered Gonchar a 2-year, $10 million contract, and Gonchar has countered with a multi-year contract that would pay him $11.5 million in the first 2 years of the deal. So I'm guessing it's a 3-year, $13.5 million deal - the Pens get the lesser cap hit, and Gonchar would get his $11.5 million in salary in the first 2 years of the deal. The Pens are balking at the 3rd year, probably because they are worried they won't get $4.5 million in production from him at 39 years old. If that's the case, then unless concessions are made on both sides, Gonchar will likely be gone.

Also, the Pens are apparently talking to the Blackhawks about acquiring Kris Versteeg, who I think would be a great addition to the Pens. He's young, plays with grit and is capable of scoring 30 goals - exactly what they need.

Killer
06-23-2010, 10:35 AM
all's I know is we need to stop the bleeding of talent - losing guys like Hossa, Malone and Scuderi and now maybe Gonchar? and getting 3rd liners in return like Poni is diluting down the team

Ray needs to find some FA magic for a change

I'm afraid Letang's big raise is gonna hurt us here

X-Terminator
06-23-2010, 10:47 AM
all's I know is we need to stop the bleeding of talent - losing guys like Hossa, Malone and Scuderi and now maybe Gonchar? and getting 3rd liners in return like Poni is diluting down the team

Ray needs to find some FA magic for a change

I'm afraid Letang's big raise is gonna hurt us here

I said that from the second he signed that contract. Letang is not worth $3.5 million a year, and that contract is going to KILL us this year.

And I've said that Ray has no spine - he absolutely refuses to take risks after being burned by Hossa. That's why we settle for scraps in FA instead of signing a bigger-name player and why guys like Scuderi and Gill are no longer Penguins. I don't want a GM without a sack - sometimes you have to take a chance and give Gonchar a 3rd year or go after a Hamhuis or Horton. Yeah it's risky and they could get burned, but it can also reward you with another Cup or 2.

Killer
06-23-2010, 11:15 AM
the Pens are apparently talking to the Blackhawks about acquiring Kris Versteeg, who I think would be a great addition to the Pens. He's young, plays with grit and is capable of scoring 30 goals - exactly what they need.

I'll take Versteeg too!

but it's all rumors all the time now

Sergei Gonchar Traded To San Jose

Sergie Gonchar's rights have been traded to the San Jose Sharks. The return is still yet unknown. San Jose has had a void in their defense ever since Rob Blake retired... last week.

Gonchar is a great player who is really able to make passes, his defense isn't that great anymore and I'm too young to remember if it was ever any good. He has gotten old and so the Penguins are reticent about paying him

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/410069-sergei-gonchar-traded-to-san-jose

Rob Rossi of the Trib says this is not true, insidepittsburghsports.com is saying this is not true, but the Pens are meeting with Gonchar’s people in LA on Thursday (not to far from San Jose). nhlsourcessay says it’s true, Tim Benz on WXDX reported it this morning. Still waiting for official word.

The WH
06-23-2010, 11:20 AM
Tim benz is a 2 bit hack sport reporter wannabe. Tell him to keep his tits and ass show and leave sports reporting to the big boys. I fucking hate that guy.

X-Terminator
06-23-2010, 11:59 AM
Why haven't we banned bleacherreport from this site? While we're at it, we should ban nhlsourcessay as well - they are more bogus than bleacherreport.

If Rossi and DePaoli (the owner of insidepittsburghsports.com) are saying it isn't true...then it isn't. And I'm not exactly DePaoli's biggest fan. Rossi is the Pens' beat reporter for the Trib, so I would think he would be privy to what's going on in the organization than any of the rest, including Benz. After all, he broke the story of Cooke's extension before the Pens announced it.

HometownGal
06-23-2010, 04:19 PM
I just read that the Pens have offered Gonchar a 2-year, $10 million contract, and Gonchar has countered with a multi-year contract that would pay him $11.5 million in the first 2 years of the deal. So I'm guessing it's a 3-year, $13.5 million deal - the Pens get the lesser cap hit, and Gonchar would get his $11.5 million in salary in the first 2 years of the deal. The Pens are balking at the 3rd year, probably because they are worried they won't get $4.5 million in production from him at 39 years old. If that's the case, then unless concessions are made on both sides, Gonchar will likely be gone.

I don't think Serg's offer is that unreasonable truthfully and I'm still holding out hope that both sides will make whatever concessions are necessary to keep #55 here. :pray:

Versteeg would be a GREAT addition to Sid's line but at what price?

SteelCityMan786
06-23-2010, 04:21 PM
Until I hear it directly from a major pittsburgh sports news source (ex. KDKA, FSN, WTAE, the Post-Gazette, the Trib, etc.), I will remain skeptical over the legitimacy of the story. I don't think Gonchar goes anywhere unless he can't be resigned.

I'd like to see them look at Volchenkov unless they can't get his price.

The asking price for Byfuglien and Veersteeg may have to come down. I am not so sure that TK and Talbot is going to be the right asking price.

HometownGal
06-23-2010, 04:24 PM
that Kris Letang(notes) and Alex Goligoski(notes) should be able to fill the void he leaves offensively;

Bwa ha ha ha!!!! Is this guy on crack? :rofl: :lol: :rofl:

While I agree that Serg should come down a bit on his proposal if he really wants to stay in Pittsburgh, I still don't believe his offer is over-the-top outrageous. He is a top PP QB and I still think his defensive skills at 36 years old are better than those of the $4 million dollar man and GoGo combined. Can't blame Gonch for wanting that extra year - I would, too, if I were in his position. No matter what happens, I've been a #55 fan for a very long time -even before he came to the Pens and I will remain a #55 fan forever. I've never loved or admired a Pittsburgh athlete more than my Serg. :thumbsup: :drink:

The WH
06-23-2010, 04:45 PM
I still think his defensive skills at 36 years old are better than those of the $4 million dollar man and GoGo combined. Come on, be realistic.

Killer
06-23-2010, 05:27 PM
Why haven't we banned bleacherreport from this site?

What's stopping you "Mr Administrator"

The WH
06-23-2010, 05:30 PM
Killer has a point. ban bleacher report for everything but pro wrestling news.

steelpride12
06-23-2010, 08:17 PM
Ill take Versteeg in a flash, but I feel if we sign him he is going to have a high price tag and that will mean no Gonchar. I don't believe the report of his rights to San Jose like SteelCityMan says until a major news station reports it and my hopes are still high we will sign him!

X-Terminator
06-23-2010, 08:20 PM
Come on, be realistic.

Letang was not very good defensively during the regular season and Goligoski was downright awful for 2/3 of the season and the playoffs. Need I remind you of Letang's 2 gaffes that led directly to Habs' goals during that series? Gonchar at 36 is most certainly better defensively than both of them.

Killer has a point. ban bleacher report for everything but pro wrestling news.

Only thing we can do is what they do over at hockeyfights.com whenever someone posts a rumor by Eklund...close the thread. Bleacher Report sucks and is NOT a credible source. Any jabroni with a computer and a lame-ass "opinion" can write for that site.

HometownGal
06-23-2010, 08:21 PM
Come on, be realistic.

I'm being as realistic as it gets. Letang is being overpaid for what he has brought to the table thus far and GoGo is very inconsistent in his play. Serg could be a very good mentor to both (as Letang has already acknowledged many times) and if you look back on our Stanley Cup run in 2008, any Pens fan who was paying attention knows that without Gonchar returning to the lineup very late in the season (along with the coaching change), the Pens would not have brought home that Cup.

X-Terminator
06-23-2010, 08:24 PM
Just watched the NHL awards show and am bummed Sid didn't win the Hart.

Oh well, he's got a lot of years left to grab a few more to add to his trophy case.

Well, at least Henrik Sedin won it and not Captain Ug, who won the Ted Lindsay Award. Neither of them surprise me since there is a well-known backlash against Sid among many of the players in the league. A lot of them don't like him because they see him as a whiner. Sid did win the Messier Award, though, which hopefully will begin to silence some of those critics once and for all. I don't think either Ug or Sid should have been nominated for the Hart anyway - it should have been Miller, Bryzgalov and Sedin.

steelpride12
06-23-2010, 08:25 PM
I'm being as realistic as it gets. Letang is being overpaid for what he has brought to the table thus far and GoGo is very inconsistent in his play. Serg could be a very good mentor to both (as Letang has already acknowledged many times) and if you look back on our Stanley Cup run in 2008, any Pens fan who was paying attention knows that without Gonchar returning to the lineup very late in the season (along with the coaching change), the Pens would not have brought home that Cup.
Yupp not only will Gonch's return boost our defense and PP overall, but his presence can only help improve and mentor the youngsters(Letang, GoGo, Lovejoy) and make them more improved players after a sub par season.

X-Terminator
06-23-2010, 08:44 PM
Yeah, I agree on the 'atleast it wasn't Ovechkin winning', but I really thought Sid had the Hart won this year.

I don't get the lack of respect Sid gets at all either, probably never will.

Well, he doesn't get the respect he deserves because of his perception. As long as players and fans outside of Pittsburgh perceive him as a whiner and diver, he will never get it. I think it's all overblown and most of them are still holding a grudge against him for his antics in his rookie season - as an 18 year old KID - but he still has his moments. Eventually though, he will get it - after all, it wasn't until Gretzky got traded to LA before opinions changed about him.

HometownGal
06-23-2010, 08:50 PM
Well, he doesn't get the respect he deserves because of his perception. As long as players and fans outside of Pittsburgh perceive him as a whiner and diver, he will never get it. I think it's all overblown and most of them are still holding a grudge against him for his antics in his rookie season - as an 18 year old KID - but he still has his moments. Eventually though, he will get it - after all, it wasn't until Gretzky got traded to LA before opinions changed about him.

What absolutely makes me :rofl: is that those who condemn him - whether it be players of opponents or opponents' fans - they would literally KILL to have Sid on their team. There isn't a one of them who wouldn't.

X-Terminator
06-23-2010, 09:12 PM
What absolutely makes me :rofl: is that those who condemn him - whether it be players of opponents or opponents' fans - they would literally KILL to have Sid on their team. There isn't a one of them who wouldn't.

Of course they would. I've had a couple Philthy fans try to tell me they wouldn't, but they're lying assholes. They'd take Sid in a heartbeat if they knew it would guarantee them a Cup. They all say they hate Danny Briere, but couldn't get their lips off his ass during their run to the Final. Hypocrites, all of them.

Killer
06-24-2010, 07:38 AM
Blockbuster trade

san jose agrees to take a seventh-round pick and two expiring contracts from the thrashers for future considerations. that allows atlanta to remain under the 50-contract reserve limit following the trade with the blackhawks.

CHICAGO RECEIVES
F Marty Reasoner
F Jeremy Morin
Rights to Joey Crabb
Devils' 1st round pick (24th overall)
Devils' 2nd round pick (54th overall)

ATLANTA RECEIVES
F Dustin Byfuglien
F Ben Eager
D Brent Sopel
F Akim Aliu
Future considerations from San Jose

SAN JOSE RECEIVES
Thrashers' 7th round pick
Rights to Brett Stirling
Rights to Mike Vernace

blackhawks clear over $5 million in cap space in the process.

X-Terminator
06-24-2010, 09:44 AM
And the Hawks still need to clear more cap space - that puts them about $3 million under the cap with the new salary cap being set at $59.4 million for next year. Kris Versteeg, Patrick Sharp and Cristobal Huet are all still available.

steelpride12
06-24-2010, 09:51 AM
It honestly is hilarious because any team would snatch Sid in a heartbeat! I don't care how many Cryer fans talk trash and call him a Crybaby, if he walked onto their team they would welcome him with open arms!

After all that trading mess Versteeg is still available, I hope the Pens are really considering!

X-Terminator
06-24-2010, 11:34 AM
Patrick Marleau and Joe Pavelski have re-signed with San Jose. Marleau - 4 years, $27.6 million, Pavelski - 4 years, $16 million. They both can thank Evgeni Nabokov for their new contracts. That should put an end to any speculation about the Pens going after Marleau.

Killer
06-24-2010, 07:42 PM
2010-11 PITTSBURGH PENGUINS
PLAYER BONUS CAP HIT

FORWARDS:

Evgeni Malkin — $8,700,000
Sidney Crosby — $8,700,000
* Frolov, Alexander — $4,800,000
Jordan Staal — $4,000,000
* Whitney, Raymond — $3,000,000
Matt Cooke — $1,800,000
* Latendresse, Guillaume — $1,600,000
Maxime Talbot — $1,050,000
Eric Tangradi ($137,500) $845,833
Michael Rupp — $825,000
Eric Godard — $750,000
Tyler Kennedy — $725,000
Craig Adams — $550,000

DEFENSEMEN:

* Volchenkov, Anton — $4,500,000
Brooks Orpik — $3,750,000
Kristopher Letang — $3,500,000
Alex Goligoski — $1,833,333
* Boynton, Nick — $1,600,000
Ben Lovejoy — $525,000
Deryk Engelland — $500,000

GOALTENDERS:

Marc-Andre Fleury — $5,000,000
Brent Johnson — $600,000

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
ROSTER SIZE 22
SALARY CAP $59,400,000
PAYROLL $59,154,167
BONUSES $137,500
CAP SPACE $383,333

X-Terminator
06-24-2010, 08:14 PM
2010-11 PITTSBURGH PENGUINS
PLAYER BONUS CAP HIT

FORWARDS:

Evgeni Malkin — $8,700,000
Sidney Crosby — $8,700,000
* Frolov, Alexander — $4,800,000
Jordan Staal — $4,000,000
* Whitney, Raymond — $3,000,000
Matt Cooke — $1,800,000
* Latendresse, Guillaume — $1,600,000
Maxime Talbot — $1,050,000
Eric Tangradi ($137,500) $845,833
Michael Rupp — $825,000
Eric Godard — $750,000
Tyler Kennedy — $725,000
Craig Adams — $550,000

DEFENSEMEN:

* Volchenkov, Anton — $4,500,000
Brooks Orpik — $3,750,000
Kristopher Letang — $3,500,000
Alex Goligoski — $1,833,333
* Boynton, Nick — $1,600,000
Ben Lovejoy — $525,000
Deryk Engelland — $500,000

GOALTENDERS:

Marc-Andre Fleury — $5,000,000
Brent Johnson — $600,000

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS
ROSTER SIZE 22
SALARY CAP $59,400,000
PAYROLL $59,154,167
BONUSES $137,500
CAP SPACE $383,333

Not bad, except it leaves the Pens little room to recall someone due to injury. They usually like to keep over a million bucks available for that reason.

You seem awfully convinced that Gonchar isn't going to re-sign.

HometownGal
06-24-2010, 08:38 PM
You seem awfully convinced that Gonchar isn't going to re-sign.

For whatever reason (which is unknown to me) - Killer doesn't seem to like or appreciate all that Serg brings to this team. :noidea:

I don't see the Pens paying Volchenkov what he is going to demand. It would shock me if they signed him.

Killer
06-24-2010, 08:40 PM
IMO Gonchar's D has turned for the worst - his legs are getting slow.

His only big impact is on PP's.
You know - the Pens won in the regular season mostly because of that - but in the playoffs the refs let things go and we get exposed defensively.

If I was Gonchar, I'd follow the Hossi route and follow the money.

X-Terminator
06-24-2010, 09:02 PM
IMO Gonchar's D has turned for the worst - his legs are getting slow.

His only big impact is on PP's.
You know - the Pens won in the regular season mostly because of that - but in the playoffs the refs let things go and we get exposed defensively.

If I was Gonchar, I'd follow the Hossi route and follow the money.

And you base that opinion off ONE bad game - game 7 against the Habs? Well, if that's the case, can we trade Letang and Goligoski? Because neither of them were any good defensively in the playoffs either. Goligoski was constantly being used as a speed bump, plus Letang's 2 major gaffes in the Habs series.

The Pens were ranked in the middle of the pack on the PP during the regular season, so they didn't win because of that. They won a lot of games because Sid decided he wanted to be a goal scorer instead of just a setup man. However, the PP was clearly better with Gonchar in the lineup than without.

Look, I understand that Gonchar is 36 and he isn't as fleet of foot as he was 5 years ago. But the guy can still play the game - he scored 50 points in just 62 games in the regular season, and was the 2nd leading scorer in the playoffs behind Sid. He's not the world's best defensive player, but he does a lot of little things that end up helping the team. He's a leader in the locker room, and is well-respected by his teammates. IMO, the guy should be allowed to retire in a Pens' uniform. Why should they go out and sign another marquee defenseman when they already have one right here in their back yard?

But don't just take my word for it. Read what Ray Shero himself has to say: http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story/pens-gm-ray-shero-on-sergei-gonchar/26995/

Killer
06-25-2010, 08:20 AM
And you base that opinion off ONE bad game - game 7 against the Habs?

Where did you invent that one from? Your own fearbox in your brain?

Tieing us to a big cap hit to Sarge in a longterm deal will kill any chances we have to get Sid his #1 winger, that's all.

All's Quiet (Almost) on Eve of NHL Draft

LOS ANGELES – One day before the NHL draft, and there’s little to report on the Flyers, not to mention other NHL clubs.

“It’s been a weird year,” said one NHL executive. “There’s no juicy rumors out here.”

Here’s the reason: unlike previous drafts, this year’s is in Southern California. You have teams staying downtown, teams staying in Marina Del Rey and teams scattered along the beach from Santa Monica northward.

Unlike previous drafts, there is no central meeting place for general managers to congregate and talk shop. That’s how rumors start. It’s also how GMs get the ball rolling on potential deals.

The Flyers need a goaltender. Yet the only real chance for GM Paul Holmgren to actually “meet” face-to-face with another GM is either on the draft floor on Friday or by showing up at the Board of Governors’ meeting and hoping some fellow GMs, who might be a governor, as well, attend.

The social interaction between GMs doesn’t exist here because 30 teams are scattered throughout greater Los Angeles.

Several GMs say there is nothing imminent going on with the Flyers and a goalie. At the same time, there is persistent talk that the Flyers have inquired about Boston goalie Tim Thomas (Flyers deny it), who has three years left on his contract at a $5 million cap hit.

As of this posting, Holmgren was in the process of meeting with Michael Leighton’s agent, Mike Liut, in downtown L.A.

Another rumor has them talking to the L.A. Kings about Jeff Carter for either of two goalies: Jonathan Quick or Jonathan Bernier and another player. The Flyers deny that too.

In the past, you would see team personnel gather at the lobby of one major hotel and talk. Not this time. Hence, no rumors. Any talk here is being done via cell phones.

One more thing. Toronto reportedly has five offers for Tomas Kaberle.

That’s your rumor du jour right now.

Hamhuis talks
No goalie on the horizon for the Flyers, and the talks between the club and Dan Hamhuis’ camp have not yielded anything substantial. Sources say the two sides are not even close to a deal. Holmgren would like to return to Philly this weekend with Hamhuis locked up. Unless things pick up quickly, that won’t happen.

http://www.csnphilly.com/pages/print_landing?blockID=260098&feedID=704&

X-Terminator
06-25-2010, 09:24 AM
Where did you invent that one from? Your own fearbox in your brain?

Tieing us to a big cap hit to Sarge in a longterm deal will kill any chances we have to get Sid his #1 winger, that's all.

Really? Well then if that's the case, you poked a hole in your own scenario above by having Volchenkov signed to what would likely be a long-term deal with the same cap hit that Gonchar will have, yet finding room for Frolov, Whitney, Latendresse and Boynton under the cap. If signing Gonchar long-term would kill their chances of finding a #1 forward for Sid, then signing Volchenkov long-term should as well, right? Which leads me to believe that this is based on his playoff performance. Your opinion isn't much different from those who want him shipped out of town because he had a terrible game 7 against the Habs.

No goalie on the horizon for the Flyers, and the talks between the club and Dan Hamhuis’ camp have not yielded anything substantial. Sources say the two sides are not even close to a deal. Holmgren would like to return to Philly this weekend with Hamhuis locked up. Unless things pick up quickly, that won’t happen.

I'd giggle quite a bit if Hamhuis doesn't sign and ends up signing with another team as a UFA. Anything that screws Philthy makes me happy. :thumbsup:

Killer
06-25-2010, 09:38 AM
Really? Well then if that's the case, you poked a hole in your own scenario above by having Volchenkov signed to what would likely be a long-term deal with the same cap hit that Gonchar will have

Volchenkov is 10 years younger than Gonchar - that's the point. And he's a stay-at-home defenseman, not a replacement for the PP Gonchar.

We still can get a winger.

X-Terminator
06-25-2010, 09:49 AM
Volchenkov is 10 years younger than Gonchar - that's the point. And he's a stay-at-home defenseman, not a replacement for the PP Gonchar.

We still can get a winger.

Well, that's twice now you've changed your point. First it was Gonchar wasn't good defensively...then signing him long-term would hurt their chances of finding a winger...and now it's his age. So which is it?

Not trying to bust your balls here, just debating.

And yes, they can still get a winger. They can still get a winger if they sign Gonchar or Volchenkov or Hamhuis or any other defenseman. I'd just rather keep Gonchar, because Letang and Goligoski are NOT...NOT...ready to run a PP and Gonchar is not as horrible defensively as everyone thinks. If, however, they do not sign him, then Volchenkov is my next choice, and we'll just have to deal with the 25th ranked PP we'll have despite having Crosby and Malkin on the top unit.

Killer
06-25-2010, 10:12 AM
Well, that's twice now you've changed your point. First it was Gonchar wasn't good defensively...then signing him long-term would hurt their chances of finding a winger...and now it's his age. So which is it?

duh, I can multi-task - it's ALL THE ABOVE obviously

Face it - he's old - If he takes a hometown discount for 2 years/$4.5M per, then sure, keep him. If he wants $6M a year for 3-4 years we'd be stupid to pay that. At the same we need a better defense and a winger for Sid. I know - It's komplikated

ha!

Somebody else is listening...more scuttlebutt

Draft Eve Rumors

According to sources....

* The Volchenkov sweeps have officially passed the Penguins threshold. (Don't completely rule Ottawa out. I know what has been said...) Also the Canadiens could move a "significant player" to make room.

*The Penguins are once again talking to Gonchar...however, they are also in on Kaberle and may be leaking Gonchar stuff so that the Leafs know they can do without. There is a ton of that kind of stuff happening tonight. The Pens are also looking into some mid-range d-men... defensive shot blockers..

* The Blue Jackets, Canadiens, Wild and Flames are in on the Stephen Weiss sweeps. (adding him to the Chart Update in the early morning) He has been a hot commodity today.

* Brent Burns is the top name the Montreal Canadiens are after. It's funny, 48 hours ago I thought there was no way in the world Burns would be moved. Now I am hearing his name connected to Montreal and Florida.

* Tomorrow looks like the day the Flyers will get their goalie. Either by trade for rights or straight out trade. All roads look to be pointing towards Tim Thomas or Chris Mason.

* The Bruins remain a HIGHLY rumored team tonight. They are after Columbus 4th overall..Savard and Wheeler are possible.

* The Oilers and Leafs have had several talks..but there is no way the Oilers move their number 1 I am told.

* The Hurricanes and Predators are talking a deal that could potentially "reshape each team for the next few years."

* The Devils are entertaining offers for Kovalchuk's rights.. The issue is the Kings seem the be the only team in the running for the most part, and the Kings know this so why trade for his rights if you know he wants to go there.

* Kaberle talks have intensified, but Brian Burke is sticking to his guns her on getting back "something that can help the Leafs win in 2010-2011. It is starting to pay off big time.

* Many teams are willing to take Jeff Carter off the Flyers hands. (possibly including the Leafs) The Flyers, I am told, are asking for a legit #1 goalie in return. It could happen tomorrow as the draft gets underway.

* There are Lecavalier talks again. They aren't nearly where they were last year and I don't have specifics except to say what a source told me this afternoon, "The Rangers know what it takes and are strongly considering it."

* If Quick or Bernier are to stick around tomorrow varies greatly depending on who you talk to. The Kings are saying no one is moving, but murmurs from other teams paint a vastly differing picture.

*Spezza is another one. There is a deal the Oilers can make. They are waiting to see. I wouldn't expect Spezza to heat up too much at the draft...but by Wednesday it will start to feel like it did last year going into July 1 with Heatley.

* I would watch the Islanders VERY closely tomorrow and Saturday. Word is they are looking for a sniper and may open the checkbook. Frolov is possible. Also Brad Richards.

* Though is continues to fly under the radar, "Alexander Semin" is said to be on Vancouver's radar. The Flames have also kicked tires. I wouldnt say the Caps are shopping Semin...but I never write players are being shopped.

* According to Pierre Lebrun, Turco could be the next starter for the Sharks. I love Turco as a person and think he would be an excellent backup for the Sabres or Capitals...but to put a guy whose rep has been not accomplishing in the playoffs as the goalie for the San Jose Sharks takes some serious....

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=28984&blogger_id=1

X-Terminator
06-25-2010, 10:36 AM
duh, I can multi-task - it's ALL THE ABOVE obviously

Face it - he's old - If he takes a hometown discount for 2 years/$4.5M per, then sure, keep him. If he wants $6M a year for 3-4 years we'd be stupid to pay that. At the same we need a better defense and a winger for Sid. I know - It's komplikated

Of course the Pens shouldn't pay him $6 million - I agree with that. I've repeatedly said that if he wants that kind of money, he'll have to get it from another team. But from what I've read, he's not asking for $6 million. The Pens have apparently offered 2 years at $5 million per, but he wants a 3rd year and $11 million in the first 2 years of the contract. That really isn't a bad starting point.

And Hockeybuzz? Really? That site is about as reliable as Bleacher Report. Everywhere I've read, including on insidepittsburghsports.com, the Pens are NOT interested at all in Kaberle. Plus, Gonchar has a no-trade clause, and I highly doubt he waives it to go to Toronto. He may want to get paid, but he also wants to win another Cup, and he isn't going to win one in Toronto any time soon.

Killer
06-25-2010, 10:42 AM
the Trib agrees with me

Pens should make call on Gonchar now

Sergei Gonchar is the Penguins' best defenseman, and would be again next season, too.

However, he shouldn't be a Penguin after July 1, and general manager Ray Shero should set a deadline of Friday to resolve Gonchar's future with the franchise he helped win the Stanley Cup in 2009.

The way of life in this salary-cap era NHL is for franchises to make difficult decisions. The situation with Gonchar is exactly that. He was one of the best players at his position over the time of his previous contract, an expert power-play quarterback and a quiet but respected leader for the Penguins.

However, Gonchar is 36. He has missed 77 games the past two regular seasons. All indications are that he desires a deal of at least three years and $5 million annually, and he has not publicly expressed a willingness to give the Penguins a so-called "hometown discount" in either reduced years or salary.

He is under no obligation to provide them a discount, either. One of seven Penguins slated to test the free-agent market on July 1, he holds the cards in negotiations — especially if his agent, JP Barry, believes a lucrative deal is forthcoming from another team.

Barry and Shero have been negotiating a potential new contract for Gonchar since the weekend. If a deal hasn't been reached by Round 1 of the NHL entry draft, Shero needs to move on and seek a trade.

He'll need Gonchar's approval because of a no-trade clause, but the Penguins can't lose Gonchar without compensation. They should already be working with clubs that are willing to trade an early-round pick for the rights to negotiate with Gonchar before July 1.

They can live without him for these reasons:

• A three-year deal at $5 million annually will considerably hurt the Penguins' chances of finding cap space if and when they decide upon a long-term wing for centers Sidney Crosby or Evgeni Malkin. That wing probably won't come from this free-agent class that is weak at the position, but the classes of 2011 and 2012 also need to be considered.

• Defenseman Kris Letang should flourish with added responsibility in Gonchar's absence. His penchant for playing better in the playoffs is an indication he thrives in pressure situations, and the pressure will be on him in Gonchar's absence. Also, defenseman Alex Goligoski has been trained to run a power play. He needs the chance.

• The free-agent market will be plentiful with quality defensemen even if Daniel Hamhuis signs with the Flyers, who acquired his rights from Nashville over the weekend. Gonchar wouldn't be the Penguins' best deal for their limited salary-cap coin.

• Malkin should be able to regain his status among the game's true superstars even if his best friend, Gonchar, is no longer a teammate. Malkin will be 24 next month. He is a former scoring champion, MVP finalist and playoff MVP. He doesn't need Gonchar to serve as a warm blanket. He might actually blossom without it.

• If Gonchar isn't willing to give the Penguins a discount, he simply doesn't fit into the plan. Remember what Shero said in July 2008 after Malkin followed Crosby's lead from the previous year by taking less than market value. "I'm interested in players that want to be here," Shero said. Brooks Orpik and Jordan Staal also took less to stay. Ryan Malone wasn't willing. That was his choice. Left wing Matt Cooke made his late Monday and agreed to a three-year deal worth $5.4 million total. Players have a choice, and so does Gonchar.

Gonchar has been great for the Penguins. Sometimes, though, it's time to go. That time is approaching, and the Penguins cannot allow loyalty to trump smart hockey decisions.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_687228.html

X-Terminator
06-25-2010, 12:28 PM
I read that article yesterday. I don't agree with all of it, but he made some good points. I'm still firmly in favor of keeping Gonchar, though - the Pens will be able to get their winger within the next 2 years. The fact that they have to get one through FA or a trade says more about the organization's lack of depth at and development of quality wingers than anything else. To this day, I feel they should have drafted Phil Kessel instead of Staal in 2006.

EDIT: The Pens have apparently been talking to the Blues and Panthers about moving up in the draft, to either 14 or 15, according to TIOPS. They must really have their eye on someone, maybe Nick Bjugstad or Vladimir Tarasenko? What they really DON'T need to do is draft yet another defenseman, even if I'm intrigued by Jarred Tinordi and Dylan McIlrath. Both are big, tough, physical guys that the Pens can absolutely use on the back end.

steelerdude15
06-25-2010, 01:50 PM
I saw this article on the Penguins' site and thought it would be a good story to post. Enjoy: http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=532430

HometownGal
06-25-2010, 02:31 PM
Defenseman Kris Letang should flourish with added responsibility in Gonchar's absence. His penchant for playing better in the playoffs is an indication he thrives in pressure situations, and the pressure will be on him in Gonchar's absence. Also, defenseman Alex Goligoski has been trained to run a power play. He needs the chance.

Stop it - you're killing me. :rofl: :lol: :rofl: :lol:

Riiiiiiiiiiight. :jerkit: Guess he wasn't watching the same playoffs as most of us were.

The Pens absolutely need to sign Gonchar and if they can't come to an agreement for whatever reason, I think it's going to bite them firmly in the ass this season.

Killer
06-25-2010, 02:36 PM
It's not really about what we want...it's about how much money Gonchar wants.

HometownGal
06-25-2010, 02:41 PM
It's not really about what we want...it's about how much money Gonchar wants.

No - it's actually not. The money isn't the issue - the tenure is.

X-Terminator
06-25-2010, 02:45 PM
No - it's actually not. The money isn't the issue - the tenure is.

Yep - the 3rd year is what's holding everything up. They have no problem paying Gonchar $5 million a season.

Killer
06-25-2010, 02:53 PM
That too.

And that's where they sit

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story/shero-to-meet-with-gonchars-agent-on-friday/27009/

CAA Sports, Agent J.P Barry and Pens gm Ray Shero will meet before the draft today to discuss Gonchar ext.

HometownGal
06-25-2010, 03:21 PM
That too.

And that's where they sit

http://insidepittsburghsports.com/story/shero-to-meet-with-gonchars-agent-on-friday/27009/

CAA Sports, Agent J.P Barry and Pens gm Ray Shero will meet before the draft today to discuss Gonchar ext.

Thanks for the update Killer. I am still holding out hope that a deal can be reached. :pray:

If my Serg opts to leave, there is nothing I can do about it but wish him the very best and follow him until he retires. I'll never be a fan of another team other my Pens, but unless he's playing us, I'm going to be in his corner 100%.

Both sides need to meet in the middle somewhere imho. No doubt in my mind that Mario and Serg's teammates want him back for a couple more seasons. MAKE IT HAPPEN SHERO (and Serg).

Killer
06-25-2010, 05:55 PM
http://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun

Pens GM Ray Shero and Gonchar's agent JP Barry have met. No progress.

Pens asst GM talking to Hawks asst GM three feet away from me. Versteeg?

Pens source says price too high for Versteeg right now

NHL GM tells me Hawks want 1st-round pick and a prospect for Versteeg

Penguins, Gonchar not close on contract

LOS ANGELES — The Penguins and veteran defenseman Sergei Gonchar are not close on a new contract.

Gonchar's agent, JP Barry, met briefly with Penguins general manager Ray Shero today before Round 1 of the NHL Entry Draft at Staple Center. However, that meeting ended with the sides far apart on a potential deal to prevent Gonchar from testing the free-agent market on July 1.

Gonchar, 36, is one of seven Penguins slated to become an unrestricted free agent.

He is seeking a three-year deal, but the Penguins are seeking a two-year contract. Complicating the matter is average annual salary on a two-year deal, as the sides are at least $1 million apart.

Shero has not yet set a deadline to reach a deal with Gonchar, who owns a no-trade clause. The Penguins would explore trade options if they determine he cannot be retained, but Gonchar would have to approve any deal.

Representatives for defenseman Mark Eaton, also slated for free agency, are planning to speak with Shero this weekend.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/penguins/s_687742.html

HometownGal
06-25-2010, 07:09 PM
That doesn't sound very promising but until I hear that Serg has officially entered FA, I'm going to continue to keep the faith that the two sides will come to some sort of an agreement. I stand by my statement that if they don't find a way to keep him - it's going to come around to bite them in the ass, especially on the PP.

Eaton can take a hike as far as I'm concerned. He's overpaid and overrated imho.

steelpride12
06-25-2010, 09:16 PM
http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=532775&navid=DL|PIT|home (http://penguins.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=532775&navid=DL%7CPIT%7Chome)

Draft Day Blog: Round 1

Friday, 06.25.2010 / 7:00 PM / Features (http://penguins.nhl.com/club/newsindex.htm?location=%2Ffeatures)
By Jason Seidling
10:10 PM: For those of you wanting to find out more about Penguins first round pick Beau Bennett, click here (http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectdetail.htm?dpid=2750) to check out his NHL.com draft bio.

10:08 PM: We'll catch up on all the first-round picks soon, but before we do that here are some pictures of Penguins first-round draft pick Beau Bennett following his selection by the Penguins a short time ago:http://cdn.nhl.com/penguins/images/upload/2010/06/Bennett%202.JPG http://cdn.nhl.com/penguins/images/upload/2010/06/Bennett%201.JPG

9:41 PM: Beau Knows! The Penguins selected right winger Beau Bennett, a 6-foot-1, 173-pounder from Penticton of the British Columbia Hockey League. Bennett, the highest-drafted Californian born player in NHL history scored 41 goals and 79 assists in 56 games this past season. Bennett lead the BCHL in points this past season.

9:39 PM: THE PITTSBURGH PENGUINS ARE ON THE CLOCK!!!!!!

Killer
06-25-2010, 09:31 PM
and for the 20th pick of the 1st rd

Pens select

Beau Bennett

RW/C-R / 6-0.5, 173 / 27-Nov-91

Skating: 65 / Skill: 70 / Sense: 75 / Compete: 40 / Toughness: 35

Strengths: Great vision and offensive instincts. Tremendous hands. Good skater.

Weaknesses: Plays the game on cruise most of the time. No physical game and avoids the high traffic areas.

--

The Nintendo numbers jump right out at you. So does the creativity and skill when you see him live. But after several viewings, the doubts creep in a bit.

The offensive ability is some of the best available in this draft. Great all-around offensive skills - terrific shot, excellent stickhandling, and great vision. Always seems to find open linemates with a crisp pass. Excellent shooting touch with a quick release and good accuracy. Has a wicked one-timer and can score in a lot of ways.

Deceptively good skater, with very agility and top speed. Long stride, but first couple steps are only okay. Very shifty and can handle puck really well when he gets going at top speed. Comes back hard defensively when his team needs it, but for the most part the Vees only needed him and Denver Manderson hanging out high in the zone ready to do their thing when the puck came to them.

Does not display a real high energy/effort level. Very slight build and will need to get stronger. Speed and agility allowed him to pretty much never get challenged physically in this league - and that is a big unknown. You'd like to see how a guy handles being hit and having less space to work with. We won't find out with this guy until he moves to the next level.

vader29
06-25-2010, 10:30 PM
Flyers traded the rights to defenseman Dan Hamhuis to the Pens for a 3rd round pick in 2011, now we have until next Friday to sign him.

http://www.postgazette.com/pg/10176/1068512-100.stm

X-Terminator
06-25-2010, 10:53 PM
It's Thursday, actually - that's when FA officially starts. Anyway, Hamhuis is the Pens' "plan B" if they can't re-sign Gonchar. And it's a "plan B" I would fully support. If he signs, Pens fans are going to love him. Very solid defensively, a good shot blocker and throws some of the best hip checks in the league. If they could somehow keep them both, I'd :jerkit: all day long.

As for their draft pick Bennett, his bio reads like Phil Kessel's bio when he was drafted. His work ethic/energy level may be an issue now, but once he gets here and he sees how hard Sid, Geno and Brooks work every day, he'll pick it up. If he does that, and puts the biscuit in the basket with regularity, I'll be thrilled with him.

Killer
06-26-2010, 12:17 AM
I like this guy too

14. Dan Hamhuis(notes), D, Nsh – Nashville has a stockpile of talented young defensemen, which makes the versatile Hamhuis expendable. The durable 27-year-old already has played six full NHL seasons, missing just nine games.

toot toot

Penguins acquire rights to Hamhuis

Friday, June 25, 2010
By Shelly Anderson, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

LOS ANGELES -- The Penguins tonight acquired the rights to defenseman Dan Hamhuis from Philadelphia for a third-round draft pick in 2011.

Hamhuis, 27, is eligible to become a free agent next Friday unless the Penguins can negotiate a contract.

The Flyers just last week acquired Hamhuis' rights in a trade for defenseman Ryan Parent.

The trade came at the conclusion of the first round of the NHL draft.

steelerdude15
06-26-2010, 12:17 AM
Jesus, Bennett is younger than me.

Killer
06-26-2010, 12:58 AM
Shero thinks he can sign Hamhuis and Gonchar

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/s_687742.html

It was a bold if risky move for Shero to land Hamhuis, whom last Saturday the Flyers had acquired from Nashville, along with a seventh-round pick, defenseman Ryan Parent. Flyers general manager Paul Holmgren said he "couldn't come to an agreement" with Hamhuis, who is seeking a long-term contract and a guarantee of top defensive responsibilities.

"I'm going to see if I can reach him and try to sell him on the merits of playing in Pittsburgh," Shero said of Hamhuis, who is represented by agent Wade Arnott.

Hamhuis is a two-way defenseman who can work on a top power-play unit according to Shero, who was Nashville's assistant general manager when Hamhuis was drafted 12th overall in 2001.

Speculation that Hamhuis, 27, is the hand-picked replacement for Gonchar, 36, was not lost on Shero. However, he said contract talks with Gonchar's camp were "not dead."

Early in the day Shero met briefly with Gonchar's agent, JP Barry, and they made no resolution on a new contract.

Term is a sticking point. The Penguins have been hesitant to offer the three-year deal Barry seeks.

Shero said that the Penguins' offseason planning included a scenario in which they would retain Gonchar and add "a strong defenseman."

"It all depends on the numbers," Shero said.

With eight impending free agents including Hamhuis the Penguins are about $10 million under the NHL salary cap, which is set for $59.4 million for next season.

Barry said after learning of the Hamhuis acquisition that he believed Shero was under the impression "he could keep both" defensemen. He added that negotiations with Shero regarding Gonchar weren't "far apart."

The WH
06-26-2010, 01:39 AM
Something tells me that's Shero feeding the media a line of crap. Unless he says bye bye eaton

steelpride12
06-26-2010, 08:03 AM
Shero may be saying he can sign Hamhuis and Gonch, but that is just not going to happen. If Gonch is out Hamhuis is in and the other way around as well. I think if anything this is bad news. Shero probably feels like Gonch won't be returning and picked up Hamhuis for his rebound signing so we have a replacement player.

Killer
06-26-2010, 08:30 AM
I'd say Hamhuis is more of a replacement for Scuderi than Gonchar
$4M per/ 4 years - git er done

In case you were wondering

Hamhuis pronunciation poll

Ham-huse (rhymes with fuse) 14.51%
Ham-hoose (rhymes with moose) 6.22%
Ham-hyoose (again rhymes with moose, but starts with hue sound rather than hoo) 53.89%
Ham-house 15%

The WH
06-26-2010, 09:20 AM
Ham-huse (rhymes with fuse) 14.51%
Ham-hoose (rhymes with moose) 6.22%
Ham-hyoose (again rhymes with moose, but starts with hue sound rather than hoo) 53.89%
Ham-house 15%
Add in the Pittsburgh option of ''Hay-Me-Isss''

SteelCityMan786
06-26-2010, 11:22 AM
Shero may be saying he can sign Hamhuis and Gonch, but that is just not going to happen. If Gonch is out Hamhuis is in and the other way around as well. I think if anything this is bad news. Shero probably feels like Gonch won't be returning and picked up Hamhuis for his rebound signing so we have a replacement player.

It's feasible with a shipping of Eaton out of town. Just depends on their demands. They do need to look at Wingers though. Although the 2011 and 2012 classes are looking much stronger. Other thank Kovalchuk(Who will price his way away from being welcomed to the Penguins), who else other then retaining Bill Guerin would sound like a feasible option at the wing?

steelpride12
06-26-2010, 01:16 PM
I would def. love to see Tangradi get some playing time this season. I don't think he has the speed like Sid, but his size and skill level has been impressive in the minors and I think will eventually be an excellent starter for the Pens.

Killer
06-26-2010, 01:46 PM
Something tells me that's Shero feeding the media a line of crap. Unless he says bye bye eaton

IF we lose Eaton it wouldn't bother me a bit - Lovejoy can do his job.

HometownGal
06-26-2010, 03:05 PM
I like the move, as well, but not if it means losing Serg. Hamhuis has a lot of pure skill and is an excellent defensive player, but isn't an offensive threat like Gonchar. Serg scored 50 points in 62 games this season and was tied with Poni for 3rd overall on the team. I also don't believe Hamhuis has what it takes at this point to QB the PP - that is going to be a HUGE void to fill if Serg leaves. As money isn't the issue with Shero and Serg - I am hoping Shero gives him that 3rd year and also can find some way to sign Hamhuis. We would rock defensively if that were to happen. :pray:

SteelCityMan786
06-26-2010, 03:14 PM
http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectdetail.htm?csid=7GDH4J

In Round 3 the Penguins Select Bryan Rust (They traded out of round 2)

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectdetail.htm?csid=618353

In Round 4 the Penguins Select Tom Kuehnhackl

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectdetail.htm?csid=7NNPGX

In Round 5 the Penguins Select Kenneth Agostino

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectdetail.htm?csid=629474

In Round 6 the Penguins Select Joe Rogalski

http://www.nhl.com/ice/draftprospectdetail.htm?csid=7VXN2Y

In Round 6 the Penguins also Select Reid McNeil

X-Terminator
06-26-2010, 04:05 PM
So they drafted 4 wingers and 2 defensemen...good. Wingers are what this team needs, and hopefully one or 2 of them develop into top 6 scorers.

X-Terminator
06-27-2010, 10:25 AM
Apparently, Gonchar is going to make his decision tomorrow whether or not to accept the Pens' 2 year deal. Hopefully he agrees to take it.

steelpride12
06-27-2010, 02:59 PM
Apparently, Gonchar is going to make his decision tomorrow whether or not to accept the Pens' 2 year deal. Hopefully he agrees to take it.
Oh man ill have my fingers crossed for that one, come on Gonch get your senses together we need ya!:pray:

HometownGal
06-27-2010, 08:37 PM

Whatever decision my Serg makes - whether he stays in Pittsburgh or not - I will totally support him. Though he may have slowed done a teenie bit, he is still one of the best D-men in the league and we all know how important he is on the PP and in the LR. If the Pens won't budge on the 2 years, I have no doubt he'll be snatched up by another team who will give him the longevity he desires. I'm praying - hard. :pray:

X-Terminator
06-27-2010, 11:27 PM
I'm sure we'll know one way or the other tomorrow. I think he wants to make the decision tomorrow so that Ray Shero can focus on other UFAs that he may want to re-sign, rather than keep him waiting up until Thursday. Even if he decides to test the market, he can still end up re-signing with the Pens. He could get offers from other teams and decide that staying here would be his best option depending on certain factors, like whether the team is a Cup contender, the fan base, the city, etc...even if those offers are more lucrative or longer-term than the Pens' offer.

steelpride12
06-27-2010, 11:30 PM
I'm sure we'll know one way or the other tomorrow. I think he wants to make the decision tomorrow so that Ray Shero can focus on other UFAs that he may want to re-sign, rather than keep him waiting up until Thursday. Even if he decides to test the market, he can still end up re-signing with the Pens. He could get offers from other teams and still decide that staying here would be his best option depending on certain factors, like whether the team is a Cup contender, the fan base, the city, etc.
I hope for the sake of my heart we get an answer tomorrow. I can't stand waiting because I feel the longer this set's out the larger the chance he does not res-sign. I think if we let Gonch test the market is a lock for being gone. I can't imagine the teams licking their chops to grab him and pay him the big $.

Killer
06-28-2010, 12:17 PM
you know what would suck, we could lose both of them

LATEST RUMORS ON HAMHUIS/PENS

Insidepittsburghsports.com: Regarding Hamhuis, the penguins believe a sales pitch to come to pit is going to work but outside of Pittsburgh, few believe he will sign.

Bob McKenzie from TSN: Unless PIT does something to dramatically alter landscape, Hamhuis also intends to go to UFA. Hamhuis's preference may be Western Conf.

HometownGal
06-28-2010, 01:12 PM
you know what would suck, we could lose both of them

LATEST RUMORS ON HAMHUIS/PENS

Insidepittsburghsports.com: Regarding Hamhuis, the penguins believe a sales pitch to come to pit is going to work but outside of Pittsburgh, few believe he will sign.

Bob McKenzie from TSN: Unless PIT does something to dramatically alter landscape, Hamhuis also intends to go to UFA. Hamhuis's preference may be Western Conf.

Then let him go to the West Coast if those rumors are true. Fuck him.

X-Terminator
06-28-2010, 01:24 PM
Then let him go to the West Coast if those rumors are true. Fuck him.

That's part of the reason why the Flyers traded him to the Pens. He nor his agent have said so, but from what I've heard, he wants to play for Vancouver so he can be close to home (he's from Smithers, BC). Shero is hoping he can sell him on playing here and also play on their connection since he was an assistant to the GM in Nashville when he was drafted. Even if the Pens can't sign him, according to the Trib, the Pens plan to go with a stronger D rather than go with a winger, and will look to go after a top D-man in FA...or 2 if Gonchar decides to go to FA and sign with another team.

EDIT: No deal today between Gonchar and the Pens, but negotiations will continue into tomorrow. The Pens aren't budging on their 2-year offer. The fact that negotiations are still ongoing means that Gonchar must really want to stay with the Pens, and only go to free agency as a last resort. I suspect it'll be resolved one way or the other tomorrow, though.

The WH
06-28-2010, 02:42 PM
Gonchar has more to lose by leaving than he does excepting those 2 years. Say he stays, and at the end of his 2 year, he gets a 1 year deal worth more than the 3rd year he's asking for now, not to mention the chance at another championship and whatever Merchandise bucks he will gain as being one of the most favorite Penguins.

Then he has to uproot his family (again)

Just seems more logical to me to stay for the two extra years.

HometownGal
06-28-2010, 03:13 PM
Gonchar has more to lose by leaving than he does excepting those 2 years. Say he stays, and at the end of his 2 year, he gets a 1 year deal worth more than the 3rd year he's asking for now, not to mention the chance at another championship and whatever Merchandise bucks he will gain as being one of the most favorite Penguins.

Then he has to uproot his family (again)

Just seems more logical to me to stay for the two extra years.

I dunno about that WH. If Serg goes into FA, I have no doubt he will be scooped up faster than you can say "Power Play" and get that 3rd year he so badly wants along with a nice little pay day. He IS thinking of his family (he has a wife and 2 small children), I'm sure, and that is most likely why he wants that guaranteed 3rd year. I can't say I blame him.

I just hope they get a deal done soon and my #55 stays in the Burgh. :pray:

steelpride12
06-28-2010, 10:15 PM
I dunno about that WH. If Serg goes into FA, I have no doubt he will be scooped up faster than you can say "Power Play" and get that 3rd year he so badly wants along with a nice little pay day. He IS thinking of his family (he has a wife and 2 small children), I'm sure, and that is most likely why he wants that guaranteed 3rd year. I can't say I blame him.

I just hope they get a deal done soon and my #55 stays in the Burgh. :pray:
I agree HTG, but of course there has to be some part in him something telling him to try his hardest to keep a deal with the Pens because these days keep rolling on and we keep hearing they are still negotiating, only makes you think Gonch want's this to work, to stay in the Burgh with a slight pay cut.

The WH
06-29-2010, 01:15 AM
I don't doubt he would get scooped up in FA really fast at all. It's just the team he goes to might not be a contender and he'll spend the remainder of his career playing for some shit team.

Killer
06-29-2010, 05:35 AM
The non-update update

Updating Gonchar/Hamhuis status.
June 28th, 2010

Hamhuis spoke with GM RAY SHERO today, and Shero spoke with Hamhuis' agent. I've not nailed down if contract terms were discussed, but I'm awaiting a return call from Shero, so maybe I'll know more then. The Penguins are interested in selling Hamhuis on what they can offer, which is a long-term deal, top-pairing responsibilities and a chance to perennially contend for the Cup. That might not be good enough, as there are unconfirmed rumors that Hamhuis has his heart set on playing in Canada; but if his mind is open, he'll find himself wanted most in Pittsburgh.

Anyway, things are moving along on that front.

= There is no change in Gonchar's status, according to his agent. The sticking point remains term. The Penguins want to go three years. There are a lot of Internet reports about a deadline, but nobody with the Penguins has told me Gonchar has to agree to a deal by a certain date before July 1, when free agency opens at noon.

A teammate of Gonchar's told me that Gonchar has to make up his mind on what is important to him, and that Gonchar has not done that yet. That is an interesting statement, perhaps one that indicates Gonchar is not as set on testing the market, one in which he'll be prized, as many people have presumed.

= The Penguins are projecting slightly more than $11 million in salary-cap space for next season. Keep in mind that they like to keep at least $1 million in free space to account for possible injuries and trades.

--ROSSI

http://blog.triblive.com/chipped-ice/2010/06/28/updating-goncharhamhuis-status/

X-Terminator
06-29-2010, 08:59 PM
Well, it's looking more and more like the Pens will have a better chance of signing Hamhuis than Gonchar. According to www.insidepittsburghsports.com (http://www.insidepittsburghsports.com), Hamhuis is "intrigued" by the prospect of playing here and his agent has been negotiating with the Pens all day today. Meanwhile, the negotiations for Gonchar are not going anywhere because the Pens will not budge on their 2-year offer. So it's looking like he will become a FA, and there are several teams who will try to sign him, which means he likely will be gone. Get used to having Letang and Goligoski running the PP next year, and the Pens hanging out around 15% for the season. :coffee:
(http://www.insidepittsburghsports.com/)

SteelCityMan786
06-29-2010, 10:36 PM
I hope maybe they can come to a compromise such as maybe a player or club option for that 3rd year. In reality I don't know if they can handle having him for that 3rd year. Especially whenever we have no clue how much the cap is going to change AND the fact that eventually another major contract extension will be due for Crosby, Malkin, Staal, and Fleury to. So that I think could also factor into why the Penguins are not resigning him just yet if at all.

The WH
06-30-2010, 12:25 AM
Well, it's looking more and more like the Pens will have a better chance of signing Hamhuis than Gonchar. According to www.insidepittsburghsports.com (http://www.insidepittsburghsports.com), Hamhuis is "intrigued" by the prospect of playing here and his agent has been negotiating with the Pens all day today.
Intrigued? I'm intrigued to see if this clown can fill Gonchar's shoes.

X-Terminator
06-30-2010, 07:34 AM

You would not be disappointed with Hamhuis - he is a very good defenseman and one of the best available this year. He may not be able to run a PP like Gonchar can, but he's sound defensively, has good mobility, moves the puck well, has been used in a shutdown role and delivers some of the best hip checks in the league. All things the Pens can certainly use. Letang and Goligoski would take over the PP duties from Gonchar, something they are NOT ready to do yet. I wasn't impressed with either of them last season while on the PP.

HometownGal
06-30-2010, 08:38 AM

I'm with you WH. There is no one on that roster at present who can fill Serg's shoes, especially on the PP. Gogo and Letang don't make a hair on Gonchar's cute little ass either defensively or on the PP, so we're going to be in trouble there with or without Hamhuis imho.

I just wish the two sides could come to a mutually acceptable agreement, as I know Shero knows all too well how much of an adverse impact losing Serg could be to the team. If they don't, Serg will be snatched up very quickly and I'm going to be pretty damned pissed off.

X-Terminator
06-30-2010, 10:01 AM
I'm with you WH. There is no one on that roster at present who can fill Serg's shoes, especially on the PP. Gogo and Letang don't make a hair on Gonchar's cute little ass either defensively or on the PP, so we're going to be in trouble there with or without Hamhuis imho.

I just wish the two sides could come to a mutually acceptable agreement, as I know Shero knows all too well how much of an adverse impact losing Serg could be to the team. If they don't, Serg will be snatched up very quickly and I'm going to be pretty damned pissed off.

At this point, I'm losing confidence that they're going to come up with a deal. The Pens insist on offering just 2 years and Gonchar wants 3, and neither side is giving in. The only chance something gets done is if Gonchar decides that the chance of winning a Cup is more important than money. But at the same time, I can't and won't blame him if he wants a 3-year deal for more money. That's his right, and he has earned it.

That said, if the Pens don't sign either guy, expect them to make a splash tomorrow, because they've already said they plan to upgrade their defense corps and they will land one or 2 big-name FAs.

Killer
06-30-2010, 12:40 PM
more talk - take it for what it's worth

Mark Madden

With NHL free agency set to arrive Thursday, Penguins fans wonder who's going to depart. I've got to backtrack on my previous proclamation that defenseman Sergei Gonchar is definitely gone because of one simple fact: Penguins management and Gonchar's agent ARE STILL TALKING. The Pens have offered two years at $9.5 million and have made it clear that they will not, under any circumstances, offer three.

Gonchar hasn't said no. It depends on what he's offered elsewhere but, with so many free-agent defensemen available, demand for Gonchar may not be sky-high.

The Penguins have not put Gonchar to a deadline because it's entirely possible he may wake up Thursday morning and say F it, I'm signing with the Penguins.

Gonchar had tough adjustment periods upon arriving in Boston and Pittsburgh. He has a difficult time finding his comfort zone. Gonchar may want to avoid that. And he may want to win, though rubles are a Russian's primary concern.

The acquisition of Dan Hamhuis from Philadelphia was odd. I've never heard of a player's rights being traded TWICE just before free agency.

Hamhuis is exactly the kind of defenseman the Penguins need. Word is the British Columbia native wants to play out West. If the Pens don't ink Hamhuis, it sucks to lose a third-round pick for nothing. But I have no problem with that. It's the type of educated gamble teams on the cusp of winning need to take.

I sometimes worry that GM Ray Shero is too much like his mentor, Nashville GM David Poile. Poile is lauded by hockey experts despite a resume bereft of championships. Poile is extremely conservative, very adept at staying competitive but rarely truly challenging. So when Shero takes a calculated flyer (ahem) by trading for Hamhuis' rights, it doesn't bother me. It encourages me.

When Marian Hossa double-crossed the Penguins by leaving in 2008, Shero had no Plan B. If the Pens lose both Gonchar and Hamhuis, Shero doesn't have a Plan B this time, either. But the bountiful crop of free-agent defensemen will organically provide one. Plenty of good blueliners are available, so prices will be reasonable. Re-signing Mark Eaton is, for now, another option.

Shero has decided to concentrate on bolstering the Penguins' defense because that's possible. At wing, not so much.

I'd love to see the Pens sign a winger to skate with Sidney Crosby or Evgeni Malkin. But there's a paucity of talent when it comes to available wings, meaning that OVERRATED will lead to OVERPRICED.

There's a rumor that Crosby's camp wants Shero to pursue free-agent wing Alexander Frolov, most recently of the Los Angeles Kings. Forget it. Frolov is a dog, overpaid at his prior salary of $4m. He's a right-shooting Alexei Ponikarovasky.

I empathize with Crosby and Malkin. I would love to see a couple of hot-shot wingers make their lives easier.

But the fact is, the Penguins finished fifth in the NHL in goals last season. Their team model - great centers, crap wings - has produced two scoring titles, one goal-scoring championship, one MVP, one playoff MVP, one Stanley Cup and another Stanley Cup final appearance since Crosby joined in 2005. Crosby has topped 100 points four times in five years, Malkin twice in four. So it's not like their jobs are impossible.

The best way for Sid and Geno to get more points would be a better power play. That is largely up to them getting out of each other's way on the right side.

Matt Cooke was a good keep at three years, $1.8m per. Cooke left a little money on the table to get that extra year. Bill Guerin talk has quieted, but Shero can sign Guerin at his leisure, and for whatever's left over. If Guerin doesn't play in Pittsburgh, it's unlikely Guerin will play anywhere. It's not about money for Guerin.

If the Penguins sign Gonchar and Hamhuis, they will have a defense to compare with any in hockey AND the major offensive components from a team that scored 257 goals last year. Sounds like a wise path to pursue.

BTW, the Penguins never had a chance to get winger Dustin Byfuglien when Chicago made its first salary-cap dump. The Blackhawks were always going to trade Byfuglien to a non-threatening Eastern Conference team. That ain't the Pens. That is the Atlanta Thrashers. Anyway, Byfuglien has never had more than 36 points in a season. Byfuglien played hard and well in the playoffs. But can he do that for 82 games? And will he do that in Atlanta?

Not only that, but his name is REALLY hard to type.

More to come...

UPDATE: Hamhuis reportedly wants $4.75m per and, as Nashville's union rep, won't sell himself short because of potential trickledown to his union brethren. Great. The Penguins traded a third-round pick for the rights to Jimmy Hoffa. Rob Scuderi only got $3.4m per, and he was a proven commodity within the context of the Penguins.

http://www.wxdx.com/pages/supergenius.html

HometownGal
06-30-2010, 01:27 PM
If the Penguins sign Gonchar and Hamhuis, they will have a defense to compare with any in hockey AND the major offensive components from a team that scored 257 goals last year. Sounds like a wise path to pursue.

I rarely ever agree with Tubby Tuba but his statement above is spot on. WAKE UP SHERO!!!!

The WH
06-30-2010, 01:53 PM
Tubby Tubby is usually spot on with hockey talk.

HometownGal
06-30-2010, 02:14 PM
I can understand why the Pens don't want to pay Guerin the $2 mil but he isn't as integral to the team as Gonchar is. Oh well - if my Serg hits the FA market tomorrow, then so be it. As I said - I'll wish him well and continue to follow him whatever team is lucky enough to get him.

(And - his number, along with the Pens logo, will forever be a part of my left upper arm. :thumbsup:)

SteelCityMan786
06-30-2010, 02:52 PM
If Gonchar does in fact no resign with the Penguins(as well as Bill Guerin) I wish both of them well. I appreciate that they not only were able to help bring the Cup back home, but also didn't pull a Marian Hossa from a couple of years ago. Nice to know some people do seem to give a rats butt about others.

I tip my cap to both of them and thank them for their service. They're always welcomed back if they find that the Pittsburgh deals were better.

X-Terminator
06-30-2010, 02:57 PM
I just have this feeling that the Pens are going to have to settle for table scraps again this year. I don't get it - we have a team that's just one year removed from winning the Cup, have 2 of the best players in the world, great ownership that's willing to spend money to win, good coaching, a (for now) rabid fan base and a brand-spanking-new arena on the way...but yet, nobody worth a damn will want to come here. If that happens, then I may have to ask if there's some other reason why the Pens can't attract any big names, salary cap notwithstanding. And I'll have to seriously question Ray Shero's negotiating skills.

SteelCityMan786
06-30-2010, 03:39 PM
Yeah well some of those same table scraps helped bring in the cup a year ago. Either way with the possible developments I have wondered about what it would take for Kovalchuk to come in on the Penguins Price. Odds are though he will price his way out.

Killer
06-30-2010, 06:13 PM
The Russians always go for the rubles

I have a bad feeling we're going to have our pockets picked clean

HometownGal
06-30-2010, 06:21 PM
Me too. Those two were vital in the Pens winning our most recent Cup and I can't even begin to imagine the Pens team without 'em.

X-Terminator
06-30-2010, 07:44 PM
Me too. Those two were vital in the Pens winning our most recent Cup and I can't even begin to imagine the Pens team without 'em.

If Guerin insists on asking for $2 million, he can go elsewhere. I like Billy, but at this stage of his career, he is not worth that. I wouldn't pay him more than $1.5. They can pick up some guy who just got bought out who could give you what Billy does in a season, and for way less.

As for Gonchar, well, like I said shortly after it happened - Kris Letang's ridiculous contract is the reason why Gonchar will be wearing another team's uniform next season. That, and the fact that they have 2 really good D prospects in Simon Despres and Robert Bortuzzo who will be ready for the show in 2 years. Despres may even be up late this season or by next season. Kid's a stud, and might be better right now at 20 years old than any defenseman on the current roster other than Orpik, and would probably give Letang a run for his money (Gonchar and Hamhuis don't count since they will be FAs).

SteelCityMan786
06-30-2010, 08:17 PM
If Guerin doesn't stay, I would like to see them pick up a guy like Ray Whitney who appears to still be able to score 20 goals. But then again, what are they supposed to do long term other then maybe bring up Tangradi and other guys who are in the system right now?

steelpride12
06-30-2010, 11:09 PM
You know It's a shame If Gonch is leaving, but if he doesn't want our offer that's just too bad and good luck elsewhere. It's true we will never be able to replace a person like him and we will have to settle with a sub par PP...again. Atleast Yeo is gone maybe someone else can get this PP ramped up better than he could.
Hamhuis would def. bring something to our defense though. He can't score goals from the point like Gonch, but he sure can play defense which is exactly what we need since GoGo and Letang can't supply that. If he is in price range we should sign him ASAP.

Guerin is a HUGE asset to this team in the locker room and on the ice. His veteran leadership to the youngster's and words of hope and praise in the locker room, plus he can still score, and the Pens won't give him a lousy $2 Mil. I understand due to his age, but it get's me thinking. They have the cap space and Gonch seems like a no signer, so who's all the money laying around for, do we have a big signing in the future?!

Killer
07-01-2010, 07:01 AM
Place your bets

http://www.gifninja.com/Workspace/e967f96c-e45e-45db-86cb-e9c3283cbf2b/output.gif

Gonchar
Hamhuis
Martin
Michalek

tick...tick...tick

Gonchar: "We had another discussion today [with Pittsburgh], but nothing has progressed," agent J.P. Barry of CAA Sports told ESPN.com on the phone around midnight ET. "At this point, I think we'll likely go see what other teams have to say [on the market Thursday] and we'll go from there."

Hamhuis: Talks continued between the Pittsburgh Penguins and pending UFA blueliner Dan Hamhuis. "We are still talking," was all Hamhuis' agent, Wade Arnott of Newport Sports, told ESPN.com via e-mail around 11 p.m. ET.

X-Terminator
07-01-2010, 11:21 AM
And just like that, Gonchar is gone...to Ottawa. 3 years, $16.5 million.

http://twitter.com/DarrenDreger and http://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie

Way to go, Ray.

X-Terminator
07-01-2010, 11:55 AM
Deal is not done yet, stress that, but Paul Martin eager to sign in PIT and PIT eager to sign him. Working towards that. Stay tuned.http://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie

That would ALMOST make me feel better about losing Gonchar. Almost. Paul Martin is a VERY good defenseman and one of the best available on the market.

BTW, if anyone wants to get live updates, go to http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=326225 for their live FA blog.

X-Terminator
07-01-2010, 12:19 PM
Pens sign Zbynek Michalek - 5 years, $20 million, per TSN.ca and Bob McKenzie. Good signing, but $4 million? Way too much. And not quite the "big splash" signing I am looking for. Shero had better land Martin too.

steelpride12
07-01-2010, 12:27 PM
Pens sign Zbynek Michalek - 5 years, $20 million, per TSN.ca and Bob McKenzie. Good signing, but $4 million? Way too much. And not quite the "big splash" signing I am looking for. Shero had better land Martin too.
Eh losing Gonch hurts, but I like this signing and actually think he came at a good price. He is one of the most underrated, physical, defensive defense men in the league and I think will be a huge addition to the Pens.
If we can sign Martin I think that makes up for Gonch leaving for sure.

SteelCityMan786
07-01-2010, 12:30 PM
Not Bad. I wonder if he plans to go for any wingers this year. If he does, I am presuming Whitney will be the guy considering he already spent 4 million on Michalek.

X-Terminator
07-01-2010, 12:37 PM
Not Bad. I wonder if he plans to go for any wingers this year. If he does, I am presuming Whitney will be the guy considering he already spent 4 million on Michalek.

If they spend 4 on Michalek and 4.5 on Martin, that leaves about 3.3 million...enough to give Whitney up to 3 mil. Plus, there's still the chance that Billy G. re-signs with the Pens.

SteelCityMan786
07-01-2010, 12:42 PM
If they spend 4 on Michalek and 4.5 on Martin, that leaves about 3.3 million...enough to give Whitney up to 3 mil. Plus, there's still the chance that Billy G. re-signs with the Pens.

I would love to see Billy G. come back. I just hope we can find a right hand man for Malkin. Although it won't stun me if he gets sometime as a Winger this year himself. Whitney probably will want around 3 million as you said. Think is he made close to 3.6 last year. It's going to be hard to get both of them plus Martin to sign. Especially with the possibility they may have to bring up minor leaguers later this year.

For those that were hoping for Colby to be back, 3 year deal with the Maple Leafs. Good for him.

X-Terminator
07-01-2010, 12:50 PM
The Leafs have no choice...with that roster, they aren't making the playoffs, so they have to overpay guys to come there.

The WH
07-01-2010, 01:12 PM
Lol, I know. I'm glad he found some good money in it though. I'll always hope he comes back to the Pens someday though.
you and everyone who is a pens fan

X-Terminator
07-01-2010, 01:28 PM
Pens have offered Martin 6 years, $27 million. Unless he likes sand, surf and hot chicks, he'd be a fool not to take that contract.

Killer
07-01-2010, 01:41 PM
Place your bets

http://www.gifninja.com/Workspace/e967f96c-e45e-45db-86cb-e9c3283cbf2b/output.gif

Gonchar
Hamhuis
Martin
Michalek

I'd take any one of those or any combination of two.

Make it so Shero.

Michalek 5yr/20M & Martin 5 yr/25M

Sweet

X-Terminator
07-01-2010, 01:50 PM
Wow, $5 million a year? That might be a bit too much, IMO. But still, Martin is probably the best all-around defenseman that was available and I'm definitely happy to have him in Pittsburgh. :thumbsup: That does kill any chance of landing Whitney, though. The Pens only have about $2.5 million left in cap space, so it's either Billy G. or another cheap winger.

SteelCityMan786
07-01-2010, 01:57 PM
If the dump any of them, I'd rather it be Eaton. He hasn't impressed me all that much for whatever reason. I don't know why though.

X-Terminator
07-01-2010, 02:00 PM
Depends...they could still dump Eaton and Fedotanko and sign Billy G and a decent winger. I can't remember what Eaton's cap hit is, but with signing those 2 we really don't need him now and that should clear out some space.

Eaton and Feds are both UFAs, so they're already off the books. According to nhlnumbers.com, the Pens have about $3.5 million in cap space left, so they are still in play for Whitney provided he signs cheaply. There is also the possibility of a trade for another winger.

Killer
07-01-2010, 02:09 PM
Wow, $5 million a year? That might be a bit too much

Don't expect hometown discounts in UFA. If you didn't give Martin the 5 million/per or Michalek 4 million/per they'd be in LA or elsewhere and our D would suck balls.

Now time to trade Dupuis to any takers and use his $1.4 mil in cap space to sign Ray Whitney, and win the Cup again.

Scratch that - Whitney gone to Phoenix. 2yrs/$3M per

X-Terminator
07-01-2010, 02:12 PM
Don't expect hometown discounts in UFA. If you didn't give Martin the 5 million/per or Michalek 4 million/per they'd be in LA or elsewhere and our D would suck balls.

Now time to trade Dupuis to any takers and use his $1.4 mil in cap space to sign Ray Whitney, and win the Cup again.

I would not be against trading either Dupuis or Kennedy. That would free up enough room to bring in Whitney for sure.

Actually...I was looking at the differences in cap space on nhlnumbers and Cap Geek. Nhlnumbers says about 3.5 and Cap Geek says about 2.3. It took me a minute, but Cap Geek is factoring in Lovejoy and Tangradi. Any reason for that?

Capgeek.com is assuming both will make the team, which of course isn't guaranteed, while nhlnumbers.com isn't. If they both make it, then yes, $2.3 would be what's left.

X-Terminator
07-01-2010, 02:19 PM
Well, forget about Whitney. Got a deal in Phoenix for 2 years at 3 mill/year.

We couldn't have afforded that anyway I don't think.

Nope, no way. Looks like they'll either have to promote from within, sign a guy for peanuts or make a trade. I'm not all that concerned - the Pens were 5th in the league in scoring last year despite Malkin missing 15 games and having his worst season ever, getting nothing out of Fedotenko and then Ponikarovsky, very little out of Kennedy and Talbot and a sub-par PP most of the season. If they repeat that with their revamped defense and a better Flower in goal, they'll be one of the top 5 teams in the league, guaranteed.

Killer
07-01-2010, 02:27 PM
Oh well - we would have had to dump someone

Fleury must be the happiest guy alive today - now he's got a defense.

I can't believe Shero pulled that off.

Killer
07-01-2010, 03:19 PM
Watching the NHL channel live show on all the free agent frenzy.

Pens got 2 of their top 5 blue liners available - what a day.

Can't believe Hossa got a 12 year ~$63M deal

HometownGal
07-01-2010, 03:52 PM
And just like that, Gonchar is gone...to Ottawa. 3 years, $16.5 million.

http://twitter.com/DarrenDreger and http://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie

Way to go, Ray.

:applaudit: :thumbsup: :yay3:

I'm damned happy for him. :drink: Stupid ass Shero. Good luck with Martin or Michalek QB'ing the PP. I still say it's going to come around and bite them in the ass - - HARD.

Killer
07-01-2010, 03:59 PM
You snooze you lose - you gotta move fast - this isn't the NFL where you can afford to piss around all day - the top players are gone fast.

BAM! Way to go Ray!

5th in offense, 20th in defense last year. Pens never got over the loss of Scuderi and Gill - thus no Cup.

Martin + Michalek >>> Gonchar

Fleury must be smiling

X-Terminator
07-01-2010, 04:03 PM
:applaudit: :thumbsup: :yay3:

I'm damned happy for him. :drink: Stupid ass Shero. Good luck with Martin or Michalek QB'ing the PP. I still say it's going to come around and bite them in the ass - - HARD.

The pressure has now been laid squarely at the feet of GoGo and the $14 million man, because they now have been handed the keys to the PP. If and when it ends up at the bottom of the league, I will be riding their asses all season long, especially the $14 million man. It has to finish in the top 10, IMO, or they will have failed. I won't accept anything less. It's not Martin's or Michalek's fault...plus, I think Pens fans will end up being pleased with them in the long run, because they will certainly improve their defense, something that had to be done after last season.

X-Terminator
07-01-2010, 04:10 PM
Volchenkov = $25.5 million over 6 years. $4.25 million a season for him is a damn steal. I like Martin, please don't get me wrong, but it looks like Ray fumbled at the goal line again. Could have had Volchie and saved 750K. :doh:

HometownGal
07-01-2010, 04:14 PM
Martin + Michalek >>> Gonchar

:lol: :lol: I don't want to hear you B & M'ing when our PP is in the bottom 5. Gonchar was the BEST PP QB in the league, hands down, and most Pens fans know it.

The WH
07-01-2010, 04:19 PM
You're gonna get a whole new PP look with Yeo and Serg gone, it'll be fine. Maybe the one timer to Malkin won't be the only trick up their sleave this year.

Killer
07-01-2010, 04:20 PM
Gonchar was the BEST PP QB in the league

There's more to the game than the PP.

That's what Sid and Malkin are getting paid for, anyway. Let them move around more.

We needed defense, and we got 2 of the top 5 available free agents - and 10 years younger than Gonch - who was on his last legs.

Devils fans are screaming their heads off we got Martin. I love it.

Killer
07-01-2010, 04:36 PM
You're gonna get a whole new PP look with Yeo and Serg gone, it'll be fine. Maybe the one timer to Malkin won't be the only trick up their sleave this year.

yeah - I still think Shero is going to try and land a vet on the cheap, he said yesterday they are considering using Staal and Malkin together.

X-Terminator
07-01-2010, 04:56 PM
There's more to the game than the PP.

That's what Sid and Malkin are getting paid for, anyway. Let them move around more.

We needed defense, and we got 2 of the top 5 available free agents - and 10 years younger than Gonch - who was on his last legs.

Devils fans are screaming their heads off we got Martin. I love it.

Why? They got Tallinder and Volchenkov...they should be on cloud friggin nine.

BTW, Ray admitted during his press conference that he talked to Gonchar last night at 11:30, and told him that the 3rd year is the reason why there was no movement. So money really had nothing to do with it.