PDA

View Full Version : Trimming The Fat: Steelers Dwyer to Train With Tom Shaw

stillers4me
04-15-2012, 09:36 AM
Jonathan Dwyer is a big guy – 245-250lbs. worth. And while it wasn’t a direct cause of his broken foot, that kind of size in a running back can keep the foot a problem. Steelers Depot reports that Dwyer could very well be taking care of the weight issue by working with Tom Shaw this off season.

Appears that Dwyer got the hint. Shaw works with guys like Ike Taylor who is in incredible shape every year he shows up for training camp. As soon as Dwyer can get back to running on that foot, which won’t be until summer time, he can work on getting his weight down and potentially be in the best shape of his early career.........

Read more @ http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/04/14/trimming-the-fat-steelers-dwyer-to-train-with-tom-shaw/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

ShutDown24
04-15-2012, 09:58 AM
Glad to hear it. Dwyer is too talented to ignore the subtler parts of football which could ultimately cost him playing time.

Count Steeler
04-15-2012, 10:13 AM
Good news. I like Dwyer.

salamander
04-15-2012, 10:18 AM
Seems like he's definitely committed. I like it.

Michael
04-15-2012, 10:39 AM
An in shape committed Dwyer could arguably be the best running back on the team.

ALLD
04-15-2012, 10:51 AM
He has nothing else to lose at this point. Either buckle down and take his game seriously or be a big fat bankrupt slob.

Edman
04-15-2012, 10:52 AM
Dwyer is still on the team after all this time.

Obviously the Steelers see something in him, and so do I.

The Duke
04-15-2012, 11:04 AM
An in shape committed Dwyer could arguably be the best running back on the team.

he still had troubles last preseason with blocking assigments, but yeah on pure runningback talent that is a possibility

Shouldn't stop us from getting a RB after round 3 though

oneforthetoe
04-15-2012, 11:07 AM
I will be more impressed when he is actually in shape and not just potentialy .......

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-15-2012, 05:40 PM
This is his chance if there ever was a time. Mendenhall out, a rusty Mewelde Moore as the chief backup to Redman. Training with Tom Shaw could add the speed, quickness and conditioning to be a legit #2 RB in ther NFL. Otherwise, Dwyer looks like a straight ahead runner that gets taken down too easily.

Iron Steeler
04-15-2012, 06:52 PM
This is his chance if there ever was a time. Mendenhall out, a rusty Mewelde Moore as the chief backup to Redman. Training with Tom Shaw could add the speed, quickness and conditioning to be a legit #2 RB in ther NFL. Otherwise, Dwyer looks like a straight ahead runner that gets taken down too easily.

I agree hes still a straight ahead sprinter. Baron batch from what I see has the best change of direction out of all the running backs. Yet again these evaluations on batch are just from what I saw in YouTube video highlights. Training camp should be fun this season

SteelGhost
04-15-2012, 08:09 PM
I will be more impressed when he is actually in shape and not just potentialy .......

^This. And could be said the same about Baron Batch IMO

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-16-2012, 09:52 AM
I agree hes still a straight ahead sprinter. Baron batch from what I see has the best change of direction out of all the running backs. Yet again these evaluations on batch are just from what I saw in YouTube video highlights. Training camp should be fun this season

Batch seems to have a bit of "wiggle" in his running, but the thing that I like about him is that he finishes his runs well with forward lean and rarely ends up going backwards. He also seems to hit a hole going ahead with that lean. He really looks like a younger, quicker version of Mewele Moore and I hope ends up being that 3rd down back for us.

steeldevil
04-16-2012, 10:17 AM
I expect some good things from him this year. He is gonna have to be the primary backup to Redman. I mean, who else would be? Hopefully losing some weight will help his lateral movement, his straight ahead speed is very deceiving. He is pretty fast for how he looks. Hopefully Batch can be the 3rd down back on 3rd and medium/long.