PDA

View Full Version : Is Steve McLendon a Viable Starter

ShutDown24
04-14-2012, 01:16 PM
This is something I have been struggling with over the last few months. Is Steve McLendon a "starter in waiting" or just a backup? I came out of the season thinking we needed some serious help at nose tackle - which I still strongly believe. But I've shifted the significance of that opinion somewhat. I have gone from being dead set on us taking a premier nose prospect early in the draft to maybe wanting the team to select a project in later rounds instead. Now don't get me wrong, I believe the nose tackle position is one of the most important jobs on the Steelers defense. Even though nose tackles are really only going to be on the field for 1 - 2 downs during any given set, holding that point of attack is and will always be a major statement point for the Pittsburgh Steelers. It sets the tone for the entire defensive squad and tells the opponent that they are not going to run on us. From a personnel standpoint, we have Casey Hampton, McLendon and Evander Hood as options at the position. Given that Hampton most likely will start the year on the PUP list or at least injured, that thins our depth down to McLendon and the emergency option of Hood. I tried to do some vague stat digging with regards to snaps that McLendon spelled in against plays that Hampton or Hoke were in, but nose tackle features so many important aspects that aren't tangible that it was just a losing battle; not to mention McLendon has only one start. If I get the opportunity I would love to go back and look at McLendon again via the few recorded games I have available from the 2011 season. Perhaps the eye test is ultimately the best form of judgement for a 34 nose. But regardless, my stance on the issue now, is that I would like to see McLendon get a shot. Now obviously if Josh Chapman is sitting there in the third or fourth round somehow, you can't say no. But for this season, with what we should get out of Hampton, I would really like to see the responsibility placed on #90's shoulders. What do you guys think?

ALLD
04-14-2012, 01:34 PM
All I know is an alarm beeps every time he steps backwards.

7willBheaven
04-14-2012, 04:17 PM
I think the potential could be there...but I havent seen enough to know for sure. He could be...but i think at the least he could be another guy like Hoke...a solid/dependable #2 who can step in when needed. Plus he can play DE too, which is always a plus.

ShutDown24
04-14-2012, 07:35 PM
Thanks to Chidi I was able to watch the Pittsburgh vs. Arizona matchup from this past season, the only game Steve McLendon has started. I like what I saw from the standpoint of potential, and think he could become much improved upon what he already is. Granted, this is just from a single game, but here is what I saw. McLendon was effective against the run. Not Hampton, but he rode the wave east and west until a point of penetration was available at which point he moved in effectively pushing the back into a gap covered by a linebacker in most cases. When run straight at, he didn't lose much ground. Again, he isn't Hampton, but he has his own strengths. He gets off blocks pretty well. When given the chance to make a tackle, McLendon didn't fail. He managed to stick with smaller/quicker players and didn't fall for their moves. Granted they didn't have much to work with in tight spaces, but all the same he wrapped up and brought down. He penetrated well on play action plays without being fooled, but my one complaint about his effort in that game was that during obvious passing plays sometimes he would get to a point and just stop pursuing - hesitate - almost like he was afraid to continue towards the quarterback and give up his area; which doesn't make much since for a nose tackle on most play calls. His pass rush moves could use some work. His "bull rush" was pretty odd. On several occasions I saw him just raise both arms and push at anything that got in front of them. I feel like with some more experience McLendon could really develop. Again, this is just off of the single game and he would absolutely be a work in progress. But at worst as 7WBH said, he will make an excellent backup. And the fact that he can play end helps a lot too. I hope that he is given every opportunity to win the job after Hampton departs, watching him play today has really diminished some of my concerns at the position.

steelerdude15
04-14-2012, 07:49 PM
I've liked what I've seen from him and I hope they give him a chance. I don't think it would hurt to draft a nose tackle.

SteelerFanInStl
04-14-2012, 09:56 PM
I just don't know. It seems to me like we've got a huge hole up the middle of our defense without Hampton and Farrior. I like McLendon but at 280 lbs, he's too light for a NT. Maybe I'm just too used to seeing Big Snack plug up the middle but IMO, that kind of size is what it takes. I don't see another NT in the NFL who's less than 300 lbs.

I think that NT and ILB have to be a priority in the draft.

Psycho Ward 86
04-14-2012, 10:31 PM
Omg no. Only if he bulks up. He's listed at 280lb. That is severely tiny for a nose tackle. Severely tiny. Even Jay Ratliff is more in the neighborhood of 290lb, and that's extremely rare that you find an NT that small AND that effective. I dont like the chances

Steeltreal
04-14-2012, 10:55 PM
Is he "economically viable" ?

steelreserve
04-14-2012, 11:33 PM
He's a fill-in right now, no more. Hampton has maybe a year left, two if we're extremely lucky, and then what kind of position are we in? We need to do something about NT in this draft no matter what. Since we've had the need for about the past 3 drafts and let it slide every time.

Steeldude
04-15-2012, 12:17 AM
IMO, with the way Hampton has played the last few seasons, McClendon can't be that much of a drop-off, if any at all. If McClendon can fill Hampton's shoes the Steelers still need depth at NT. Losing Hoke really hurts. I felt Hoke was the better NT for the last 2 to 3 years.

I think Chapman will be gone before the Steelers' 2nd round pick. To draft Chapman the Steelers might have to pick him in the 1st, unless they trade down for extra picks in the 2nd.

I am not confident that Hampton will play in 2012.

Steeldude
04-15-2012, 12:24 AM
As for McClendon's weight, he is over 300lbs. The listed weight is not updated.

ShutDown24
04-15-2012, 07:02 AM

Absolutely. He's gotta be around 320. He has gotten much wider since we saw him in 2010. The weight stats rarely seem to get updated after players come out of college. Remember when the Bus was being billed as like 230 when it was clear he was pushing 300? McLendon is definitely heavier than 280.

Psycho Ward 86
04-15-2012, 11:33 AM

how do you know? is this an eye test?

ShutDown24
04-15-2012, 11:43 AM
how do you know? is this an eye test?

"Listed" weight is rarely accurate. I've seen McLendon listed anywhere from 280 - 316. Players are generally listed taller and lighter than they actually are. I don't doubt 280 is wrong. Now, that doesn't really help us get an accurate weight, but I'd bet my paycheck he's heavier than 300.

Psycho Ward 86
04-15-2012, 12:08 PM
I've seen McLendon listed anywhere from 280 - 316. Players are generally listed taller and lighter than they actually are. I don't doubt 280 is wrong. Now, that doesn't really help us get an accurate weight, but I'd bet my paycheck he's heavier than 300.

where?: http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=frgbld&gs_nf=1&cp=9&gs_id=3c&xhr=t&q=steve+mclendon&pf=p&output=search&sclient=psy-ab&oq=steve+mcl&aq=0&aqi=g1g-s1g1g-s1&aql=&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&fp=3226d37ade666d03&biw=1440&bih=742

i see literally nowhere he's listed above 280lb. except at his pro-day which would make since his own coaching staff would obviously want him to get the best measurables possible for his draft stock. Where did you find out that players are lighter and taller than they actually are? That makes no sense. Ive heard of "taller and heavier" players with more impressive measurables at their pro days because their coaches want to give their players a higher draft stock, but taller and lighter makes no sense for any party. i think it's pretty palpable with both listed weights and the eye test that he's definitely on the smaller side, and that's a problem for a nose tackle unless we ended up with a rarity like jay ratliff. but mclendon isnt nearly as scrappy or explosive. at least not yet.

ShutDown24
04-15-2012, 12:48 PM
Lighter and taller is better. Obviously that is individually specific in some cases, but for most athletes taller and lighter is favorable. There are plenty of stories of defensive linemen who tried ridiculous stunts to be lighter during weigh-ins.

Scout has McLendon at 320, Nfldraftscout has him at 306. Considering most players gain weight once hitting the pros I don't see why anyone would believe he is 280. He doesn't look it for starters. He probably lost weight heading into the draft process as, again, 280 looks better on paper than 306. And after you are given a listed weight as a pro it's probably not going to be updated. Players go through weight changes so frequently it would probably be impossible to keep making changes.

As far as his play goes, I literally just watched every snap he took against Arizona. He was very effective. Regardless of his weight. So it's really an insignificant debate unless his performance falls off a cliff the next time he takes the field.

The Duke
04-15-2012, 01:07 PM
Jim Wexell has previously said he's around 320

I don't want him as our only nose tackle, but his weight is definitely not an issue. Boy looks pretty big, those listed numbers are never reliable. I'd be willing to bet he was way past 280 by his first training camp

TMC
04-15-2012, 07:26 PM
When he was at his pro day, his measure weight was 306. He is not even 6'2". So, he has the size. I know it has been said he nears 320, but I am not quite buying that yet.

Even if he has the potential to start, Hampton won't play forever and Hoke is gone. So, it only makes sense to nab a NT. In fact, I have advocated they draft a NT early and then come back to get another DT/NT style player late in this draft. I would not be upset with Poe/Martin or Chapman/Jean-Baptiste depending on how the draft fell. I think you can find ways to get good players on the field and if you can get a plugger early, then you can add some pass rush later. Good draft for interior defensive linemen/nose tackles....definitely want to take advantage of it.

GBMelBlount
04-15-2012, 08:03 PM
With the #1 defense in the NFL, Hampton coming back (FWIW) and McClendon SOUNDING decent it does not sound like NT is as big a need as ILB and offensive line.

ShutDown24
04-16-2012, 12:04 AM
With the #1 defense in the NFL, Hampton coming back (FWIW) and McClendon SOUNDING decent it does not sound like NT is as big a need as ILB and offensive line.

I agree. I do believe it's a position of need, but I wouldn't take drastic measures to improve it. I would select a prospect in the draft when value is available.

suitanim
04-16-2012, 08:23 AM
I defer to the people who watch and evaluate him every day, the Steelers coaches and FO. The fact that they choose to re-sign Casey Hampton tells me that McClendon is a back-up caliber NT only. If they draft an NT, and especially if they draft one relatively early, that will cement that fact IMO.