PDA

View Full Version : Source: Woodley likely to be free agent

stillers4me
07-12-2010, 06:23 PM
By James Walker
ESPN.com

Barring an unforeseen change of circumstances, a Pro Bowl linebacker could hit the free-agent market next season.

The Pittsburgh Steelers (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=pit) have decided not to give outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=10490) a contract extension before the start of the 2010 season, a source told ESPN.com on Monday. Woodley is in the final year of his rookie deal and will make $550,000 this season, making him one of the NFL's best bargains.

It's extremely rare that the Steelers negotiate with players during the season, which means Woodley would be set to become a free agent next March. The source added that it's highly unlikely the Steelers would change their stance on Woodley between now and September. Pittsburgh is primarily focused on filling its right tackle position and could spend money there following the season-ending Achilles injury to Willie Colon (http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/profile?playerId=9717).

Woodley is facing the same dilemma as a lot of NFL players seeking extensions this offseason. New rules during the uncapped year have made things complicated. The league's 30 percent rule, in particular, is the biggest hurdle.

By rule, Woodley could only make a maximum salary of $598,000 in 2010, which is a 30 percent increase over last season. The subsequent salaries could only go up 30 percent for the life of the contract. That means a substantial bulk of an extension would be put into bonuses, which the Steelers are not interested in at this time.

A one-year franchise tag for Woodley also is a possibility, although there are no guarantees that the use of a franchise tag will be included in the new Collective Bargaining Agreement.

Woodley, 25, has been one of the league's most dominant outside linebackers during his first two years as a starter. He has combined for 25 sacks in that span and made his first Pro Bowl last season.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=5374264

steeldawg
07-12-2010, 06:27 PM
He is a must sign!!!! Rooney's better not let this guy get away.

RushHard34
07-12-2010, 06:27 PM
Well this was kinda unexpected....they'd be dumb to let him walk

Wheelz
07-12-2010, 06:30 PM
I'll be genuinely shocked if they let him get away. He's one hell of a player.

steeldevil
07-12-2010, 06:32 PM
Letting him go would be an extremely stupid decision IMO....

MasterOfPuppets
07-12-2010, 06:34 PM
if this 30 percent rule is such a huge obstacle, then how in the hell are the jets supposedly offering revis 100 mill ? and they just reworked their left tackles deal to make him one of the top paid...:noidea:

Chidi29
07-12-2010, 06:35 PM
You gotta figure they'll be at least one franchise tag in the new CBA. If there is one, that's what he'll likely get.

salamander
07-12-2010, 06:35 PM
PLEASE get this man re-signed!

Chidi29
07-12-2010, 06:36 PM
if this 30 percent rule is such a huge obstacle, then how in the hell are the jets supposedly offering revis 100 mill ? and they just reworked their left tackles deal to make him one of the top paid...:noidea:

It has to deal with low base salaries. For a 2nd round pick like Woodley, his base salary is very low. For 1st rounders like Revis and Ferguson (Whose base salary last year was $6 million), it's not nearly as much of an issue.

Ferguson's deal isn't as big as was initally reported, for whatever it's worth.

xX-TSK-Xx
07-12-2010, 06:39 PM
The Rooney's have their hands tied at the moment. Any contract they offer Woodley, right now, would be a joke in salary due to the 30% rule. They would have to load the thing in guarenteed money which is just bad buisness.

Hopefully a new CBA gets done before Woodley hits the market, although that is unlikely. My guess is either a deal, in principle, comes up between Woodley and the Steelers and once Lammar is a free agent he signs the deal or we have to Franchise him(if available).

polamalubeast
07-12-2010, 06:43 PM
If he leaves from Lamarr Woodley, his will be the worst decision of the steelers since 1983.

86WARD
07-12-2010, 07:00 PM

They are giving out guaranteed money...

Once the CBA gets settled, I'm pretty sure Woodley gets signed and gets whats coming to him. If they don't want to pay him, it's a poor business decision and Woodley should walk. It's not like they don't have the dough to pay the man.

If there is no CBA, there are a couple extra Tags to use and I would hope that he would get one of those...lol...

MasterOfPuppets
07-12-2010, 07:07 PM
It has to deal with low base salaries. For a 2nd round pick like Woodley, his base salary is very low. For 1st rounders like Revis and Ferguson (Whose base salary last year was $6 million), it's not nearly as much of an issue.

Ferguson's deal isn't as big as was initally reported, for whatever it's worth.

brandon marshall was a 4th rd pick. the phins gave him a 4 year 47.5 mill extention ...sure 24 of which was guaranteed, but even a 23 mill 4 year deal is a heck of a pay raise for a 4th rd pick.

The Broncos and Dolphins confirmed the trade that sent Pro Bowl WR Brandon Marshall to Miami on Wednesday. And Marshall is on the verge of signing a whopping contract too.

ESPN reported that Marshall agreed to a four-year deal worth $47.5 million with $24 million guaranteed.

Such a deal would surpass that of Cardinals WR Larry Fitzgerald (four years, $40 million) as the richest in NFL history for a receiver.

The Dolphins are sending second-round picks in 2010 (43rd overall) and 2011 in return.

xX-TSK-Xx
07-12-2010, 07:10 PM
I believe the 30% rule only applies to players in the final year of their contract so if they have two or like Revis 3 years remaining, I think they can get paid whatever the team offers them.

Chidi29
07-12-2010, 07:26 PM
brandon marshall was a 4th rd pick. the phins gave him a 4 year 47.5 mill extention ...sure 24 of which was guaranteed, but even a 23 mill 4 year deal is a heck of a pay raise for a 4th rd pick.

I don't know all the specifics of the rule and exactly how it works. I just know the issues affecting players like Woodley.

ALLD
07-12-2010, 07:51 PM
A new contract is hindered by the existing CBA structure. The headline is just an attention grabber. Of course, if everything remained the same they would franchaise Woodely to elevate his salary and then sign him to a long term deal. Losing Woodley could be seen as a similar mistake when we lost Woodsen.

If Rooney allows Woodley to walk there must be some kind of legitimate reason. There is no reason not to think some agreement will be reached since Woodley has practiced in good faith and the Steelers have a good track record of taking care of their own. Probably best reputation in the league which is a long way removed from the 1980s when they had the same frugal business model as today's Pirates. However, how do you measure the true cost of not winning a Super Bowl from 1979 to 2005?

Devilsdancefloor
07-12-2010, 08:00 PM
They better sign him im having flashbacks of woodson leaving i think i threw up little

steelpride12
07-12-2010, 08:31 PM
Would be the worst move since 93 IMO. They have to find some money or Franchise tag to get this guy a deal after the season!

Killer
07-12-2010, 08:49 PM
Woodley is a beast, but the Steelers won't bankrupt the team for an outside LB.

We keep drafting them for a reason.

Vincent
07-12-2010, 09:44 PM
Woodley is a beast, but...

Woodley will walk when pigs fly.

7willBheaven
07-12-2010, 10:33 PM
They article is just the media doing their thing, stirring the pot. He wont be going anywhere...either a deal will get done at the last minute (before or after the season)...they will franchise him...OR...and depending how a new possibly CBA is looking by the time the season gets ready to start, do like a 1-2 year extension going by the rule and throwing in some good bonus money to him to make up for it...THEN once a new CBA is place give him the long term deal.

Psycho Ward 86
07-12-2010, 10:53 PM
Worst case scenario: He gets tagged.

I really wouldnt fret about it, he's the most brilliant young player we have. He's the future, and the FO isnt going to let young, rising talent run freely into the wild.

Nadroj 20
07-12-2010, 10:58 PM
Worst case scenario: He gets tagged.

I really wouldnt fret about it, he's the most brilliant young player we have. He's the future, and the FO isnt going to let young, rising talent run freely into the wild.

Yes I agree...I dont think we should worry too much about it, especially right now.

tony hipchest
07-12-2010, 11:32 PM
it is no new news that the steelers are operating as if there is a cap in place. they will continue to do so.

steelerdude15
07-12-2010, 11:41 PM
I would hope that they would resign him which I believe they will when that day comes too. He's such a big part of our defense and I don't believe the Rooney's would simply let him get away.

Galax Steeler
07-13-2010, 04:00 AM
I trust that they know what they are doing but if Woodley isn't resigned then that would be a stupid move on there part. I know we keep drafting linebackers but Woodley knows how to play the game and make plays. You don't get someone like him everytime.

solardave
07-13-2010, 04:58 AM

For one thing it's a bigger market I guess. Remember we've seen the FO office bring back Foote, Mac and El. That's uncharacteristic right there.If LaMar comes out of the gate playing lights out we may see a one year extension just to lock him up until the CBA gets done. Otherwise I see us signing him just as soon as the season ends before he hits the market. If the FO doesn't do that there's no way we could afford him. That IMHO would be the worst loss of a free agent in our history. This guy is just coming into his prime and we can't afford to lose him.

TroysBarber
07-13-2010, 06:26 AM
I read somewhere that until there's a new CBA, an unsigned player becomes a restricted free agent unless he has at least 6 years in the league.

venom
07-13-2010, 07:50 AM
Blame the CBA . Brady and Manning are also waiting for that big contract also .

steelpride12
07-13-2010, 08:32 AM
Wood will get his. I don't care what rule or effect is in play the Rooney's will find a way even if they have to tag him to get him signed. Wood is the one of the biggest aspects of our defense and one of the best young talents on this team. A deal will be found one way or another.

PalmerSteel
07-13-2010, 08:46 AM
man, wood was going to be my next jersey this summer. i am frugal and only buy one every 5 years at the least. i better wait :(

Austin87
07-13-2010, 10:10 AM
I don't think the Steelers will let him get away. They'll either tag him or give him the contract that he deserves.

vasteeler
07-13-2010, 10:12 AM
yeah, they wont let him get away

Dino 6 Rings
07-13-2010, 10:29 AM
I agree with most of the folks in this thread. Tag and Sign. No worries here, Woodley is a Steeler.

BnG_Hevn
07-13-2010, 11:40 AM
I might as well pad my count like everyone else.

Woodley is the current/future heart and soul of the defense so yes, we do need to sign him. It would be a huge mistake for the FO to let him go.

Stlrs4Life
07-13-2010, 10:00 PM
Report: LaMarr Woodley still Steelers' top priority
Posted by Evan Silva on July 13, 2010 7:31 PM ET

On Tuesday night's Total Access program, NFL Network's Jason La Canfora threw cold water on a recent ESPN report that (falsely?) indicated the Steelers aren't in any rush to re-sign contract-year linebacker LaMarr Woodley. *The positivity of La Canfora's report was backed up by the Saginaw News on Tuesday.

According to La Canfora, re-signing Woodley remains the Steelers' "No. 1 priority." *La Canfora added that he can envision "no scenario where Woodley is not" a Steeler in 2011, going so far as to predict the Steelers would franchise tag Woodley if such a designation is still available. *La Canfora was adamant that Woodley isn't going anywhere.

The Saginaw News*wasn't quite as strong, but directly disputes ESPN. *According to the newspaper, the idea promoted in ESPN AFC North blogger James Walker's report "doesn't mean the Steelers won't sign Woodley to a new contract. *Once the new collective bargaining agreement is in place, the Steelers are expected to sign Woodley to a multi-year contract."

Granted, no new CBA is imminent. *Woodley could easily wind up playing out this season for his scheduled $550,000 salary, and making it to the winter of 2011 without a long-term contract in place. *However, the latest reports on the organization's feelings about Woodley indicate that he's viewed by the Pittsburgh front office as a building block and potential career Steeler. *Not someone the team is going to let get away.

Steel MD
07-13-2010, 10:04 PM
Hallelujah.