PDA

View Full Version : Mike Wallace trade rumors don't make sense

SteelerEmpire
04-12-2012, 08:55 PM
Two weeks ago, we asked why no teams were interested in signing Mike Wallace as a restricted free agent. That fact hasn't changed, so it looks like Wallace's agent is trying to manufacture some interest in his client.

LINK: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82842dde/article/mike-wallace-trade-rumors-dont-make-sense?module=HP11_headline_stack

ShutDown24
04-12-2012, 09:31 PM
I couldn't agree more that they don't make sense. Do teams really believe the Steelers will give him up for anything less than a second or first round pick? And if they realize that, why wouldn't they have just tried signing him away under the RFA status? All of this speculation seems to refer back to the Holmes trade, but Santonio Holmes' situation was totally different. Are people really that naive to believe they can get Wallace for a fourth or fifth round pick? Mike Wallace wants a new deal - Santonio was a cancer. Huge difference.

SteelerFanInStl
04-13-2012, 05:55 PM
His agent is manufacturing all of these rumors.

Count Steeler
04-13-2012, 06:53 PM
Desperate times call for desperate measures. Here's a clue Mr Agent, advise your client to play a FULL season and make some clutch grabs then your nonsense will start making some sense. Wallace certainly has game, witness the GB win of 3 seasons ago. However, game has to be consistent to garner top money for your position.

ALLD
04-13-2012, 06:55 PM
All the drama is not adding to a new contract. Hines Ward was smart enough to listen to Cowher, came to camp, got his deal and went on to be SB MVP all in the same season.

one side only
04-13-2012, 09:59 PM
Two weeks ago, we asked why no teams were interested in signing Mike Wallace as a restricted free agent. That fact hasn't changed, so it looks like Wallace's agent is trying to manufacture some interest in his client.

LINK: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82842dde/article/mike-wallace-trade-rumors-dont-make-sense?module=HP11_headline_stack

The fact that Wallace didn't receive any interest from other teams as an RFA doesn't mean a team wouldn't want to pay less for him than the first round pick it would have cost them to sign him.

It would not surprise me at all to see Wallace dealt before the draft, for as little as a third round pick. Four reasons: First, they aren't going to offer him long term what Wallace thinks he is worth. Second, they are not going to commit upward of $10M for one year next year that the franchise tag will cost them. Third, while some players put up big numbers playing out their contract, looking for a big payday, some players can be a distraction. I'm betting the Steelers are betting on the latter, considering Wallace's behavior thus far. Finally, I think the Steelers believe they can replace Wallace's production with a healthy Sanders, a more involved Cotchery and a rookie. I said production, not skill set. There is some real value among wide receivers in this year's draft, including a couple of guys who can really scoot likeT.Y. Hilton, from Florida International ( 4.34 40 time) and Greg Childs from Arkansas (4.39), if they want to replace speed with speed. If they are looking at overall skill, not just speed, Marvin McNutt of Iowa would be a great pick in the 3rd or 4th round.

St. Louis needs receivers, and many mock drafts have them linked to Justin Blackmon. Trading one of the two second round picks for Mike Wallace would allow them to pick a top defensive player, or perhaps trade down out of the #6 position for additional picks.

Look at it this way; at best Wallace is like a one-year "rental" player. Best case scenario is he puts up monster numbers to maximize his free agent value. A more realistic scenario is he puts up similar numbers as last year. In any case he's gone after this year. Looking long term, the Steelers might value a wide receiver picked in the second or third round that can contribute for three years over Wallace who will contribute for only one. Based on last year's production, especially from November through the playoff game, Wallace may only be worth a 3rd rounder when factoring in the money a long term deal is going to cost a team willing to trade for him.

BnG_Hevn
04-16-2012, 09:32 AM
He knows that with a new offensive scheme being put into place, his production has a high chance of going down from last year so he needs to get out of town while he still has a hook to hang his hat.

suitanim
04-16-2012, 09:53 AM
The fact that Wallace didn't receive any interest from other teams as an RFA doesn't mean a team wouldn't want to pay less for him than the first round pick it would have cost them to sign him.

It would not surprise me at all to see Wallace dealt before the draft, for as little as a third round pick. Four reasons: First, they aren't going to offer him long term what Wallace thinks he is worth. Second, they are not going to commit upward of $10M for one year next year that the franchise tag will cost them. Third, while some players put up big numbers playing out their contract, looking for a big payday, some players can be a distraction. I'm betting the Steelers are betting on the latter, considering Wallace's behavior thus far. Finally, I think the Steelers believe they can replace Wallace's production with a healthy Sanders, a more involved Cotchery and a rookie. I said production, not skill set. There is some real value among wide receivers in this year's draft, including a couple of guys who can really scoot likeT.Y. Hilton, from Florida International ( 4.34 40 time) and Greg Childs from Arkansas (4.39), if they want to replace speed with speed. If they are looking at overall skill, not just speed, Marvin McNutt of Iowa would be a great pick in the 3rd or 4th round.

St. Louis needs receivers, and many mock drafts have them linked to Justin Blackmon. Trading one of the two second round picks for Mike Wallace would allow them to pick a top defensive player, or perhaps trade down out of the #6 position for additional picks.

Look at it this way; at best Wallace is like a one-year "rental" player. Best case scenario is he puts up monster numbers to maximize his free agent value. A more realistic scenario is he puts up similar numbers as last year. In any case he's gone after this year. Looking long term, the Steelers might value a wide receiver picked in the second or third round that can contribute for three years over Wallace who will contribute for only one. Based on last year's production, especially from November through the playoff game, Wallace may only be worth a 3rd rounder when factoring in the money a long term deal is going to cost a team willing to trade for him.

I agree in principle: It's better to get something rather than nothing. If I were the Steelers, and Wallace wouldn't sit down and have a serious discussion about signing long-term, and he wants to sit out training camp and beyond, I'd deal him for less than he's worth because sitting him out all year and just going through this all over again next year is useless (and I'd rather let him sit out than kowtow). Trade him to the Dolphins or something, and let some rookie QB lead him to a series of 6-10 seasons. He can enjoy his money playing for a crappy bottom-feeder...

Chidi29
04-16-2012, 10:09 AM

If we can only get a third for Wallace, we might as well keep him for 2012 and if we lose him to free agency, have a good chance of getting a 3rd round as compensation.

This whole thing is overblown. Nothing will happen this year. Wallace will likely not get dealt. It doesn't matter that teams are interested in him, we already knew that. We probably won't give him a long-term deal unless it's something that is really friendly to us. We'll revisit the situation next year and to me, will probably sign him long-term.

suitanim
04-16-2012, 10:36 AM
If we can only get a third for Wallace, we might as well keep him for 2012 and if we lose him to free agency, have a good chance of getting a 3rd round as compensation.

This whole thing is overblown. Nothing will happen this year. Wallace will likely not get dealt. It doesn't matter that teams are interested in him, we already knew that. We probably won't give him a long-term deal unless it's something that is really friendly to us. We'll revisit the situation next year and to me, will probably sign him long-term.

OK, but what if he refuses to sign his RFA tender?

Anyway, everyone has said I'm retarded for suggesting the Browns are interested. I found this, where the guy makes the exact same "addition AND subtraction" argument. It hurts us and helps them:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1144351-mike-wallace-reportedly-on-trading-block-cleveland-browns-interested

You tell me.
The prospect of adding a proven, top-caliber wide receiver such as Mike Wallace should excite you as a fan. The uncertainty involved in drafting a wide receiver with the No. 4, No. 22 and No. 37 picks should be a motivating factor for Tom Heckert to explore, and ultimately pull the trigger on a deal to take Wallace.
The Browns will not sign Wallace as a RFA due to the fact that the pick used would be their own (No. 4 overall) and not the pick they obtained from the Atlanta Falcons (http://bleacherreport.com/atlanta-falcons) (No. 22) in last year’s blockbuster trade. The Falcons pick, though, could be used in a trade to try to pull Wallace away from Pittsburgh.
Not only would having Mike Wallace in the Browns' lineup benefit the Browns, but it would significantly detract from the impressive vertical game of their archrival, the Pittsburgh Steelers.
That’s what you call a two-for-one.
So Browns fans, Mike Wallace anyone?
Would the Steelers pull the trigger? Would the Browns?

Chidi29
04-16-2012, 10:36 AM
One other quick sidenote.

Under the new CBA, players who have not signed their tender or tag are allowed to report to workouts and have injury protection even though they aren't offically under contract.

I don't see Wallace or any other player doing this but it is a possibility. Just throwing that out there in case he shows up.

suitanim
04-16-2012, 10:45 AM
If he doesn't play in 2012, he can't be a free agent in 2013...so the Steelers really and truly hold all the cards. I'm simply saying that if someone makes an offer for a 3rd OR BETTER, the Steelers are out nothing if they think Wallace isn't going to cooperate. A third now is better than a third next year if you are short a WR. And you skip all the camp holdout drama and distraction this year for sure, and maybe even next year as well.

Chidi29
04-16-2012, 10:47 AM
OK, but what if he refuses to sign his RFA tender?

Anyway, everyone has said I'm retarded for suggesting the Browns are interested. I found this, where the guy makes the exact same "addition AND subtraction" argument. It hurts us and helps them:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1144351-mike-wallace-reportedly-on-trading-block-cleveland-browns-interested

You tell me.
The prospect of adding a proven, top-caliber wide receiver such as Mike Wallace should excite you as a fan. The uncertainty involved in drafting a wide receiver with the No. 4, No. 22 and No. 37 picks should be a motivating factor for Tom Heckert to explore, and ultimately pull the trigger on a deal to take Wallace.
The Browns will not sign Wallace as a RFA due to the fact that the pick used would be their own (No. 4 overall) and not the pick they obtained from the Atlanta Falcons (http://bleacherreport.com/atlanta-falcons) (No. 22) in last year’s blockbuster trade. The Falcons pick, though, could be used in a trade to try to pull Wallace away from Pittsburgh.
Not only would having Mike Wallace in the Browns' lineup benefit the Browns, but it would significantly detract from the impressive vertical game of their archrival, the Pittsburgh Steelers.
That’s what you call a two-for-one.
So Browns fans, Mike Wallace anyone?
Would the Steelers pull the trigger? Would the Browns?

He'll sign the tender eventually. All these guys will. It's just a posturing move to show they want the big money.

He isn't getting dealt to Cleveland. Sure, the Browns would be interested but don't give an AFC North foe s #1 receiver they're sorely lacking. There will be plenty of out of division/conference teams you could get the same for.

suitanim
04-16-2012, 10:55 AM
Well, Friday is the next significant deadline. If no other team offers him a deal by then, he has even fewer options in front of him.

XxKnightxX
04-16-2012, 04:25 PM
Plaxico and Holmes were replaced immediately, Wallace knows the Steelers wont break the bank for him.

O'Malley
04-16-2012, 04:43 PM
Plaxico and Holmes were replaced immediately, Wallace knows the Steelers wont break the bank for him.

This^

Mamaduck43
04-16-2012, 05:29 PM
I like Wallace and his speed is awesome - - but it seemed that once the opposition learned how to best cover him, his 'surprise' element was gone, and he became rather ineffective.... I feel that the best thing for him is to stay here - - learn more about the game, and then decisions can be made.... These young guys have to learn that they, in fact, cannot walk on water, and are not worth the $$$$ that they think they are..... Sheesh......

ALLD
04-16-2012, 06:06 PM
Part of it is nobody wants to give the Steelers an extra 1st rd. pick. I heard Wallace give an interview, he needs to take public speaking lessons or shut it.