PDA

View Full Version : Steelers move to add 3,000 seats to Heinz Field

steelerdude15
04-12-2012, 02:51 PM
Steelers move to add 3,000 seats to Heinz Field

The Steelers this morning took the first step toward adding 3,000 seats at Heinz Field.

At the team's request, the city-Allegheny County Sports & Exhibition Authority board passed a resolution to further explore and plan the possible additions.

SEA executive director Mary Conturo said the authorization was needed so the Steelers could take their proposal to add seats to the NFL for approval next month.

"The first thing to be done is to be sure the NFL is in agreement," she said.

Ms. Conturo said she had no timetable for construction and did not know how much the extra seats would cost. The Steelers could not immediately be reached for comment.

Read More: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/steelers-move-to-up-heinz-field-seating-capacity-631089/

I'm all for it.

ALLD
04-12-2012, 03:28 PM
Does that include adding tv's in the parking lot and selling tickets like some scumbag owner?

steelreserve
04-12-2012, 03:37 PM
Sounds like a good thing, as long as they're not going to build up too high on the open end. They REALLY have to be careful not to mess that up, because I can think of a lot of stadiums where they have in a similar situation.

7willBheaven
04-12-2012, 03:41 PM
I remember hearing this at the end of the year and all. They could easily fill them. In the beginning I thought they should have just made it completely closed in and all...which could have added another 10000-15000 or so I dunno. And while I'm all for adding more seats...I have gotten used to the open end and such. I know they added some temp seats at the open end last year...but I'm not sure how many they actually added. I never thought I'd say this...but in a way it would suck if you walk in and cant go over to the rail by the end of the field and all...but oh well...i'd get over it, haha.

fansince'76
04-12-2012, 04:37 PM
Does that include adding tv's in the parking lot and selling tickets like some scumbag owner?

Not to mention $60 cheese pizzas.

suitanim
04-12-2012, 04:48 PM
This is smart...if, for some reason, they needed to SUBTRACT seats, they could also do this.

Honestly, my only thought is that a Global depression would cause that, but nothing wrong with being smart and planning ahead...

Count Steeler
04-12-2012, 04:53 PM
What's the average price for a Steelers ticket? 250? 750,000 per year in extra gate plus the concessions/jerseys/etc. Sure, why not. The more the merrier.

steelreserve
04-12-2012, 07:09 PM
What's the average price for a Steelers ticket? 250? 750,000 per year in extra gate plus the concessions/jerseys/etc. Sure, why not. The more the merrier.

That'd be $750K per GAME. So closer to $7M over the course of the season, especially if you count preseason.

Mainly I would support this because I think it would be good for the fans, so more people could get in and to take some pressure off the 15-year waiting list or whatever it's up to now. I could care less about the team making more money; they're already pretty profitable.

Yes, people are always saying how the Rooneys have among the smallest personal fortune of any of the NFL owners, but that's only half-true. They only own 30 percent of the team now. Remember back a few years ago when they did the ownership restructure and Stallworth and some others became minority stakeholders? Some of the others were VC billionaires, and although they're designated "minority" owners, I believe they actually own more than the Rooneys. So the whole cash flow problem? Mostly a big mirage.

JayC
04-12-2012, 07:15 PM
i hope this means i'll finally get season tickets. my dad joined the wait list back in 1996 so i'll be crossing my fingers when this actually happens

salamander
04-12-2012, 07:52 PM
I think once they saw how well the temporary seats from the NHL Winter Classic 2 years ago did during the playoffs, they knew they had to do this. I'm all for it.

steelerdude15
04-12-2012, 09:42 PM
That'd be $750K per GAME. So closer to $7M over the course of the season, especially if you count preseason.

Mainly I would support this because I think it would be good for the fans, so more people could get in and to take some pressure off the 15-year waiting list or whatever it's up to now. I could care less about the team making more money; they're already pretty profitable.

Yes, people are always saying how the Rooneys have among the smallest personal fortune of any of the NFL owners, but that's only half-true. They only own 30 percent of the team now. Remember back a few years ago when they did the ownership restructure and Stallworth and some others became minority stakeholders? Some of the others were VC billionaires, and although they're designated "minority" owners, I believe they actually own more than the Rooneys. So the whole cash flow problem? Mostly a big mirage.

More like fifty plus years if I'm correct.

pepsyman1
04-12-2012, 11:49 PM
I think it's a good idea. I know that a lot of people have gotten used to the open end, but I've never been a big fan of it. After seeing a few games at Three River, Heinz Field seems way too quiet to me. Much to much of the fan noise is lost out the open end of the stadium, it's not as intimidating for visiting teams. Three River Stadium could be literally deafening when things got going. I miss that.

NCSteeler
04-13-2012, 12:04 AM

Hardly, the average Steelers ticket is closer to 90 dollars. the 250 your referring to never gets to the Steelers hands, that is resale pricing.

I'm all for more seats, but I like the open end of the stadium, although I think they were going for the effect you get at PNC Park , but he Ketchup bottle scoreboard kinda messes that up. If they would have designed the closed end truly closed they could have gottin more seats at that end, but hey added them on piece meal.

atlsteelers
04-13-2012, 08:31 AM
they should have never left the north end open. lets too much noise out. however, when we go to games we usually get tickets scattered throughout the stadium and like to stand at the open end to watch games, but that has gotten tougher because the steelers often have temporary seating there now.

suitanim
04-13-2012, 09:49 AM
The AVERAGE ticket price is probably more like $70-$75. It was about $60 in 2005, and $67.50 in 2008. So with $70 x 10 (2 preseason) games x 3000 seats it's 2.1 million extra a year.