PDA

View Full Version : Several Teams Interested In Mike Wallace

SteelerEmpire
04-12-2012, 02:17 PM
Pittsburgh Steelers wide receiver Mike Wallace doesn't plan on attending the team's offseason activities in protest of his first-round tender, but the receiver has reportedly generated a wealth of trade interest.

Several teams are reportedly interested in trading for the three-year Steeler veteran, a league source told the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.

LINK: http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d82842a0c/article/mike-wallace-generates-trade-interest-from-several-teams?module=HP11_headline_stack

X-Terminator
04-12-2012, 02:19 PM
If they can get a good first-round pick, they should do it. Anything less and they may as well keep him.

polamalubeast
04-12-2012, 02:20 PM
If the offer is good, it would be a good idea to trade Wallace during the draft

SteelerEmpire
04-12-2012, 02:43 PM
Kind of nervous about depending on the draft to replace him. Sweed was supposed to work out but we know how that turned out.
Brown is good, but he's small. Sanders is injury prone.... this just got interesting...

steel striker
04-12-2012, 02:45 PM
I still hope we are able to keep wallace here.

SteelMember
04-12-2012, 03:07 PM
There is no way we can keep all the guys we have right now on the roster forever. (wallace, brown, sanders) Somebody's eventually gotta go. It was a rarity for the Steelers to keep a WR as long as they kept Ward. If they continue the process, we will have enough to allot to (1) guy... to be the guy. If we lose Wallace now and get a first rounder, it's a hell of a lot more than we will get if we're gonna lose him anyway next year. (a 3rd round comp the following year?)

If we keep him, we probably lose Brown and/or Sanders the year after.

Pick your poison.

ALLD
04-12-2012, 03:27 PM
Any other team can sign him if they want to give up a 1st. Needless to say they are trying to low ball with something less. I would take this year's second and next year's first which is the theoretical equivalent of two seconds.

steelreserve
04-12-2012, 03:46 PM
Based on the way it looks like it's going, I'd honestly say we're better off trading him before the draft if we can get something decent for him. Otherwise we just lose him next March anyway and we get nothing.

If we could, say, work out a deal for a pick in the middle of the first round and get a guy who's going to be our starting NT or CB for the next 10 years, I'd take that in a heartbeat. Especially considering the alternative.

Plus - I think if there's any time to make a move like that, which is really focused on two years out, it's now. Next season might be a tough one with a lot of adjustments to make already. Might as well try to get this out of the way while we're at it.

7willBheaven
04-12-2012, 03:47 PM
There is no way we can keep all the guys we have right now on the roster forever. (wallace, brown, sanders) Somebody's eventually gotta go. It was a rarity for the Steelers to keep a WR as long as they kept Ward. If they continue the process, we will have enough to allot to (1) guy... to be the guy. If we lose Wallace now and get a first rounder, it's a hell of a lot more than we will get if we're gonna lose him anyway next year. (a 3rd round comp the following year?)

Pick your poison.

I'm not worried about Sanders he hasnt gotten anywhere close to commanding a lot of money. Brown while improving and had 1 solid year, doesnt mean he's going to get big money either. I wouldnt be surprised if they try to work out an extension with Brown this year (since he'll have 1 yr left) and then wait and see on Sanders. Its could be easily done as the Steelers have been able to keep the players that they WANT to keep in the past.

one side only
04-12-2012, 03:53 PM
Based on the Trib article, I think there is a real possibility he gets dealt. If they are not going to pay him enough to keep him from leaving next year as an UFA, and they aren't going to franchise him, the best case scenario is to trade him. Players who are playing out their contract in order to create demand for their services in the free agent market might be extra motivated to put up big numbers, but they can also be a distraction. I think Wallace would fall in the latter category. I'd try to get one of St. Louis' 2 second round picks for him.

O'Malley
04-12-2012, 04:00 PM
Could care less now... Wallace lost my respect.. This is not how Steelers act.. Greedy receiver.. Wrong team to get greedy with.. You don't play defense man.. You catch the ball.. Which you missed the most important pass of your young career in Denver.. The Steelers won before you and can win without you!!!

O'Malley
04-12-2012, 04:01 PM
Don't get traded to a team the plays the Steelers... You won't make it past that game!!!!

Chidi29
04-12-2012, 04:12 PM
Wow...teams are interested in one of the top young receivers in the league? Who would have thought?

Report really means nothing until we hear the team is interested in dealing him. And based on Colbert's comments, the team will make every attempt to keep Wallace.

suitanim
04-12-2012, 04:46 PM
As we approach the draft, this kind of interest will naturally spin up.

I have to think the Browns are in the mix...again, addition by subraction AND addition. They take from us and weaken us AND add a player who can really help them in an area that is a key need. We would need their second round pick for this (I don't think they would trade #4, and I don't think we would want it) plus a whole lot of other stuff...but if the guy has become a malcontent let him go play for big money on a perennial bottom-feeder and let's get something for it...

Count Steeler
04-12-2012, 04:51 PM
Don't let him walk away free next year. Get something now. I would be OK with a 2nd or 3rd rounder packaged with a raw ILB or OG.

SteelGhost
04-12-2012, 05:01 PM
I hope Wallace AND the FO think about the subject wisely and reach a realistic agreement, not a chance in hell the Steelers will pay Mike Fitzgerald's/Megatron's money :crazy:

Bluecoat96
04-12-2012, 05:05 PM
The team can't trade him right now anyway. He's technically not even under contract with the Steelers at the moment.

Devilsdancefloor
04-12-2012, 05:13 PM
If this is all true he can sit next year and pout in the corner by himself

Texasteel
04-12-2012, 07:04 PM
The team can't trade him right now anyway. He's technically not even under contract with the Steelers at the moment.

It would have to be a sign and trade type of deal.

JayC
04-12-2012, 07:06 PM
wallace and the 24th pick for a top 10 pick this year.

86WARD
04-12-2012, 07:09 PM

Pick your poison.

See ya Sanders...lol.

86WARD
04-12-2012, 07:20 PM
Wow...the anger directed towards Wallace in this thread is hilarious...greedy, quitter, malcontent...lol.

He wants to get paid...what's the problem? What player doesn't want to get paid? By the way...none of this has come out of Wallace's mouth. Half of it is speculation by writer's, the other half is Cook trying to put his client in a good bargaining position.

Like I've said, if someone wants him, it'd be easy to get him if they are willing to give up the first rounder and offer him a reasonable front loaded deal...which for a player of his skill and age, it's not that off base.

Like Chidi said:

Wow...teams are interested in one of the top young receivers in the league? Who would have thought?

Report really means nothing until we hear the team is interested in dealing him. And based on Colbert's comments, the team will make every attempt to keep Wallace.

stillers4me
04-12-2012, 07:24 PM
Wow...the anger directed towards Wallace in this thread is hilarious...greedy, quitter, malcontent...lol.

He wants to get paid...what's the problem? What player doesn't want to get paid? By the way...none of this has come out of Wallace's mouth. Half of it is speculation by writer's, the other half is Cook trying to put his client in a good bargaining position.

Like I've said, if someone wants him, it'd be easy to get him if they are willing to give up the first rounder and offer him a reasonable front loaded deal...which for a player of his skill and age, it's not that off base.

Like Chidi said:

We have a winner!

The only thing that actually came out of Wallaces mouth was a tweet that said "Don't believe everything you read."

He has said he wants a long term deal. The Steelers want him to sign a long term deal. They will work out a long term deal.

Why would anyone want him to sign a one year tender that is his ticket out the door as a URFA next year????

steelreserve
04-12-2012, 07:34 PM
We have a winner!

The only thing that actually came out of Wallaces mouth was a tweet that said "Don't believe everything you read."

He has said he wants a long term deal. The Steelers want him to sign a long term deal. They will work out a long term deal.

Why would anyone want him to sign a one year tender that is his ticket out the door as a URFA next year????

Because they're hoping that while he was on that deal, he and the team were able to work out something reasonable long-term.

I really don't see how we keep him long-term unless he does sign the RFA tender, or else plays for something close to it in the first year of any long-term deal. That's all the room we have under the salary cap this year to offer him.

And I'm sorry if you think the backlash against him is too harsh, but until something comes out to indicate otherwise, it appears that things are heading in a pretty negative direction. And I think there's the part of us all that says "The RFA tag is something that YOUR players' union agreed to less than a year ago, and every other player has to deal with it too, and it's only for one season, so shut the hell up and play football like everyone else."

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-12-2012, 08:03 PM
If somebody wants to trade a 1st round pick for him, then take it. Otherwise he walks in2013 with nothing in return but the comp pick the year after.

Psycho Ward 86
04-12-2012, 09:26 PM

Like Chidi said:

QFT. So many people are quick to judge...

GBMelBlount
04-12-2012, 10:03 PM
I want to win a super bowl this year.

So there is no way in hell I want to lose wallace for an unproven pick if we can afford to keep him.

SteelerEmpire
04-12-2012, 10:25 PM
I want to win a super bowl this year.

So there is no way in hell I want to lose wallace for an unproven pick if we can afford to keep him.

This ^^^. No way we should lose Wallace. We have a multitude of defensive stars, but on offense: Ben, Brown and perhaps Miller. That's it. Haley would be incompetent (in my opinion) if he did't lobby very, very hard to keep Wallace. Wallace will only continue to get better and better... if you noticed he's improved every year.

NCSteeler
04-13-2012, 12:16 AM
As we approach the draft, this kind of interest will naturally spin up.

I have to think the Browns are in the mix...again, addition by subraction AND addition. They take from us and weaken us AND add a player who can really help them in an area that is a key need. We would need their second round pick for this (I don't think they would trade #4, and I don't think we would want it) plus a whole lot of other stuff...but if the guy has become a malcontent let him go play for big money on a perennial bottom-feeder and let's get something for it...

I don't think they would take less then a 1st for a division team.

NCSteeler
04-13-2012, 12:17 AM

Well let's be honest, he would have no trade value if Colbert said he didn't want to keep him.

NCSteeler
04-13-2012, 12:22 AM
We have a winner!

If they were running junk in the paper that made me look bad, I would be opening my mouth and speaking up about how I really feel.

Psycho Ward 86
04-13-2012, 12:59 AM
If they were running junk in the paper that made me look bad, I would be opening my mouth and speaking up about how I really feel.

it's not that simple. you arent looking quite as deeply through wallace's eyes as you think you are. That single tweet was just about enough to set it straight, no need to spend time shooting down every rumor possible.

Edman
04-13-2012, 04:00 AM
If the parties interested are willing to give up a 1st rounder for Wallace, cool.

Calling Wallace "Greedy" isn't being fair. He just wants to be paid. I will give him crap for wanting Larry Fitzgerald money when he's nowhere near his zipcode. If that is truly the case, adios.

Mike Wallace is no Larry Fitzgerald and his disappearing acts in big games prove it.

86WARD
04-13-2012, 11:29 AM
Wallace probably doesn't read nor care what's in the newspaper...

Texasteel
04-13-2012, 11:43 AM
If any team was willing to offer this years 1st round pick, we would be talking about if we could match the offer, rather than should we trade him. We might get a 1st round pick, but not in this years draft. I think the offers would more likely be a 3rd rounder, maybe a 2nd from a team with a bunch of cap room.

I would be surprised if Mike is not in Black and Gold next year.

SteelerEmpire
04-13-2012, 12:04 PM
If the parties interested are willing to give up a 1st rounder for Wallace, cool.

Calling Wallace "Greedy" isn't being fair. He just wants to be paid. I will give him crap for wanting Larry Fitzgerald money when he's nowhere near his zipcode. If that is truly the case, adios.

Mike Wallace is no Larry Fitzgerald and his disappearing acts in big games prove it.

I always wondered if it would have been smart if they had let Wallace return kicks his first season as well. I could just imagine what a beast he would be now if had that extra "hustling edge" that WR/kick returners seem to usually have.

steeldawg
04-13-2012, 01:12 PM

Like Chidi said:

the voice of reason

86WARD
04-13-2012, 02:19 PM
Also: let's not forget, if i recall correctly, 2 first round picks were offered for Chad Johnson, a first round pick for Deion Branch, 2 seconds for Marshall...

Wallace is better and younger than all three of those! Easily...

ALLD
04-13-2012, 02:30 PM
If Al Davis was alive...

O'Malley
04-13-2012, 03:08 PM
The biggest thing that pops in my head about Wallace is his dropped pass in Denver.. You have to come up big in big games to earn big money.. sign the one year deal and prove your worth the big bucks your asking for..

ALLD
04-13-2012, 06:57 PM
Wallace is relying on his press clippings too much.

Count Steeler
04-13-2012, 09:08 PM
Here's another clue Mike. If you were worth Fitzgerald numbers, other teams would have been knocking on your door and taking advantage of the Steelers cap situation. A first round pick, especially late round, is nothing if you can steal a WR of Fitzs' caliber.

Sorry Mike, you are not there yet. You got some playing to do.