PDA

View Full Version : Mike Wallace reportedly will not sign RFA tender.

one side only
04-11-2012, 05:08 PM
Adam Schefter of ESPN reported on NFL Live Wednesday that Wallace has no plans to sign his tender, which would pay him $2.742 million, and will sit out the team’s offseason activities if he can't come to terms with the Steelers on a new contract.

Not wise to play hardball with the Steelers.

Wallace really has no choice but to sign as other teams have shown no real interest in his services. i don't think this decision will endear him to other to other teams, but it does keep his options open. Not participating in OTAs could hamper his grasp of the new offense, but then again, he's probably not worried about it. He needs to play this year and try to put up numbers that will justify a big payday as a UFA.

Can the Steelers trade a RFA who hasn't signed the tender offer? If so, offer him to the Rams, for both of their Round 2 picks, 33 and 39 overall.

SteelGhost
04-11-2012, 05:10 PM
OOPS !

steelreserve
04-11-2012, 05:18 PM
He'll end up signing eventually, but this just further reinforces the fact that he'll be playing for some other team in about 280 days or whenever free agency starts next offseason.

Carolina Steelers
04-11-2012, 05:30 PM
He'll end up signing eventually, but this just further reinforces the fact that he'll be playing for some other team in about 280 days or whenever free agency starts next offseason.

I hate to say it but i agree, i though for sure he would sign tender once no one offered him a contract now this came out

polamalubeast
04-11-2012, 05:32 PM
it is no surprise

Matt Forte, Ray Rice, Wes Welker and perhaps even Drew Brees,etc will do the same thing

ALLD
04-11-2012, 05:53 PM
One way to get out of training camp. A player's contract is not money so that he plays- most would play for free if they had the means, it is payment for practicing.

SteelerFanInStl
04-11-2012, 06:02 PM

I agree. It doesn't sound like he'll be around much longer. That's unfortunate.

polamalubeast
04-11-2012, 06:21 PM
The Steelers can put the TAG on Wallace for the 2013 season.

The TAG will be approximately $ 10 million for the receivers in 2013

Count Steeler
04-11-2012, 07:07 PM
Let's see how the FO boys work this one out. If this story is true, keep his sorry ass off the field and let him try to get Fitzgerald money with his disappearing act for the second half of the season and with this attitude. Hope he enjoys being a Cowboy or Redskin.

ALLD
04-11-2012, 07:14 PM
He can go to Washington where VinceYoung3 can shuttle the ball to him via the wishbone.

86WARD
04-11-2012, 07:32 PM
The Steelers can put the TAG on Wallace for the 2013 season.

The TAG will be approximately $ 10 million for the receivers in 2013

TAG is going to BROWN!

SMR
04-11-2012, 07:56 PM
If Adam is right, Wallace maybe in gone in 60 Minutes.

polamalubeast
04-11-2012, 08:01 PM
TAG is going to BROWN!

Brown is RFA in 2013...

steelreserve
04-11-2012, 08:12 PM
TAG is going to BROWN!

Brown might actually be smart enough to take contract negotiations seriously, so my bet is we actually re-sign him to a 3 or 4 year deal before it gets to that.

BigNastyDefense
04-11-2012, 08:35 PM
Whoever is advising Wallace is an absolute idiot.

Wallace is never going to see Fitzgerald money. He isn't nearly that good of a receiver, and never will be either. He has grown somewhat as a receiver but for the most part is still just a one-trick pony...he can get behind nearly any DB in the league. And that's fine and great, got him a lot of yards and some touchdowns. However he is never going to have the ball skills of a Fitzgerald, C. Johnson, Randy Moss, Terrell Owens...those guys have/had speed, strength, and tremendous ball skills.

This attitude is horrible. That's fine Mikey, don't sign your tender. Piss off the front office enough and you won't play at all this season. If this is going to be his stance, I can see the FO telling him he can play under the tender or not at all. It's obvious that no team is going to sign him to an offer sheet. And I don't see a team being willing to trade for him, because the Steelers will not be trading him for a fifth round pick like they did Holmes.

The Steelers hold all the leverage right now.

O'Malley
04-11-2012, 08:59 PM
Sure isn't acting like a Steeler... Did anybody tell him he is just a receiver... That he is a dime a dozen... If he sits out the OTA's he might as well sit on the bench the whole season!!! Get a clue bud..

Chidi29
04-11-2012, 09:10 PM
I understand the move. It's a business one and an approach we're seeing taken by multiple other players.

If we can live with Hines Ward holding out, we can live with a guy missing OTAs.

zulater
04-11-2012, 09:19 PM
I understand the move. It's a business one and an approach we're seeing taken by multiple other players.

If we can live with Hines Ward holding out, we can live with a guy missing OTAs.

A little different with us changing OC's and all. Oh well we'll see where it goes, nothing we can do but watch and wait.

GodfatherofSoul
04-11-2012, 09:46 PM
If Adam is right, Wallace maybe in gone in 60 Minutes.

LOL, too soon I think

polamalubeast
04-11-2012, 09:57 PM

Wallace is never going to see Fitzgerald money. He isn't nearly that good of a receiver, and never will be either. He has grown somewhat as a receiver but for the most part is still just a one-trick pony...he can get behind nearly any DB in the league. And that's fine and great, got him a lot of yards and some touchdowns. However he is never going to have the ball skills of a Fitzgerald, C. Johnson, Randy Moss, Terrell Owens...those guys have/had speed, strength, and tremendous ball skills.

This attitude is horrible. That's fine Mikey, don't sign your tender. Piss off the front office enough and you won't play at all this season. If this is going to be his stance, I can see the FO telling him he can play under the tender or not at all. It's obvious that no team is going to sign him to an offer sheet. And I don't see a team being willing to trade for him, because the Steelers will not be trading him for a fifth round pick like they did Holmes.

agree

But if it is true that Wallace asks a contract of 120 million and then Wallace did a holdout, I suspend Wallace if I am the Steelers.

Wallace's ego is ridiculous and the Steelers can win without Wallace

At least, Santonio Holmes was very good against the Ravens and in playoffs when he was with the Steelers

He was very clutch

steeldawg
04-11-2012, 10:20 PM

I dont know about all that, if you compare mike wallace to larry fitzgerald in their first 3 years in the league wallace is actually putting up a little better than fitzgerald numbers, and that is as a one trick pony. He has also posted better numbers in his first 3 years than andre johnson and calvin johnson who are considered the top wideouts in the league. So i dont really think that mike wallace wanting a big contract is really that far fetched, and he will get one.

steeldawg
04-11-2012, 10:25 PM
Adam Schefter of ESPN reported on NFL Live Wednesday that Wallace has no plans to sign his tender, which would pay him $2.742 million, and will sit out the team’s offseason activities if he can't come to terms with the Steelers on a new contract.

Not wise to play hardball with the Steelers.

Wallace really has no choice but to sign as other teams have shown no real interest in his services. i don't think this decision will endear him to other to other teams, but it does keep his options open. Not participating in OTAs could hamper his grasp of the new offense, but then again, he's probably not worried about it. He needs to play this year and try to put up numbers that will justify a big payday as a UFA.

Can the Steelers trade a RFA who hasn't signed the tender offer? If so, offer him to the Rams, for both of their Round 2 picks, 33 and 39 overall.

I dont think teams are going after wallace because they are not willing to give up a bunch of draft picks for a young guy who will be a UFA next year. Why give up your draft when you can chase him on the open market next season.

Chidi29
04-11-2012, 10:29 PM
A little different with us changing OC's and all. Oh well we'll see where it goes, nothing we can do but watch and wait.

Yes, that hurts a little more but from Wallace's perspective, not a whole lot changes. He wants to make a point that he wants to ink a long-term deal.

polamalubeast
04-11-2012, 10:33 PM
I dont know about all that, if you compare mike wallace to larry fitzgerald in their first 3 years in the league wallace is actually putting up a little better than fitzgerald numbers, and that is as a one trick pony. He has also posted better numbers in his first 3 years than andre johnson and calvin johnson who are considered the top wideouts in the league. So i dont really think that mike wallace wanting a big contract is really that far fetched, and he will get one.

Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald played with a very bad teams and bad QB in their first 3 years ...

ShutDown24
04-11-2012, 10:35 PM
You could really have seen this coming from a mile away. Wallace wants to make a statement. To that I say, stay in shape, come in before week 1 and make sure you can run a go route. That's all I really care about. We'll enjoy having Wallace as a Steeler for one more season if he can manage that.

steeldawg
04-11-2012, 10:56 PM
Andre Johnson, Calvin Johnson and Larry Fitzgerald played with a very bad teams and bad QB in their first 3 years ...Ok, Reggie wayne, Greg Jennings, Brandon Marshall, and Desean Jackson......Wallace has better numbers than all these guys through his first 3 years in the league.

polamalubeast
04-11-2012, 11:16 PM
Ok, Reggie wayne, Greg Jennings, Brandon Marshall, and Desean Jackson......Wallace has better numbers than all these guys through his first 3 years in the league.

I have no problem to give the same contract than Desean Jackson,Marshall,etc

But I'll never given the same contract that Fitzgerald and Calvin Johnson

steelreserve
04-12-2012, 02:18 AM

When you talk about the numbers he puts up, the number that really stands out to me is his production in the second half of last season. People have all kinds of ways of explaining it. Could be bad luck. Could be he was mentally off his game. Could be Ben had trouble throwing the deep ball.

Or, more like: Other teams figured out how to defend him.

Maybe that's not the truth, but if I was a GM getting ready to break out $100M+, I'd make damn sure I knew it wasn't the truth. And what I'd use to gauge that would be this season's performance.

Having said all that, Wallace will probably still get his mega-deal, because some team is rash enough or desperate enough (or probably both) to do it anyway. It helps that the media has been pimping a Wallace FA deal until they practically wore out their transmitters and printing presses and megaphones and whatever else. Face it, man. He's gone.

Steeldude
04-12-2012, 02:19 AM
If true, it's no surprise. Wallace wants money. He will be on another team in 2013. I was really hoping someone would take him

Butch
04-12-2012, 05:45 AM

Wait so we're comparing Wallace who's been in the league a whoping 3 years and is known only for his ability to stretch the field, to a guy who at that time had established himself as a valuable and versatile player??? :bs:

HUGE DIFFERENCE!!!

suitanim
04-12-2012, 05:52 AM
Hate to say this, but much of the same sentiment was expressed when Ward threatened to hold out. He was a much more established and accomplished Steelers at that point.

If he wants a long-term deal, lets work on a long-term deal then...if not, maybe draft a WR in the 3rd instead of the 5th and let Wallace sit out a whole season.

steeldawg
04-12-2012, 07:14 AM
When you talk about the numbers he puts up, the number that really stands out to me is his production in the second half of last season. People have all kinds of ways of explaining it. Could be bad luck. Could be he was mentally off his game. Could be Ben had trouble throwing the deep ball.

Or, more like: Other teams figured out how to defend him.

Maybe that's not the truth, but if I was a GM getting ready to break out $100M+, I'd make damn sure I knew it wasn't the truth. And what I'd use to gauge that would be this season's performance.

Having said all that, Wallace will probably still get his mega-deal, because some team is rash enough or desperate enough (or probably both) to do it anyway. It helps that the media has been pimping a Wallace FA deal until they practically wore out their transmitters and printing presses and megaphones and whatever else. Face it, man. He's gone.

His second half stats, in his last 8 games he had roughly 400+ yds and 3 tds, while these are not mind blowing they are not terrible. If you look at his 2010 season his strongest performance was in his second half of the season. Also there is really nothing for me to face, I never said wallace would be a steeler in 2013, I said he would get a big contract. Mike Wallace will be hot FA because his production makes it so, not because the press is forcing a big deal. Teams are not going to have to be desperate to sign wallace to a big deal, because hes young they will be able to sign him long term and spread the money out.

steeldawg
04-12-2012, 07:21 AM
I have no problem to give the same contract than Desean Jackson,Marshall,etc

But I'll never given the same contract that Fitzgerald and Calvin Johnson I dont think he will get fitz money the reason i pointed out the stats is because you said he will never be the reciever that fitz is. Pointing out that if fitz and calvin are the standard for elite wallaces number are better through his first 3 years , so he in fact would be on pace to be in that class. So if we can get that type of production year in and year out I say sign him long term.

86WARD
04-12-2012, 08:05 AM
Where's it say that he won't sign because he wants Fitz money? No doubt he's worth more than the tender.

SMR
04-12-2012, 03:20 PM
LOL, too soon I think

:grin:

ALLD
04-12-2012, 03:25 PM
It would be good if he had one complete season where he did not disappear during the playoffs.

one side only
04-19-2012, 01:43 PM
Interesting twist . . . acording to Jamison Hensley, who writes the AFC North blog on ESPN.com, if Wallace doesn't sign his RFA tender by June 15th, the Steelers can reduce the offer by 10% and still retain his rights. Tomorrow (20 Apr) is the deadline for another team to make an offer for Wallace's services, which is not going to happen.