PDA

View Full Version : Complete Seven Round Mock

Chidi29
04-10-2012, 11:46 AM
Hey guys. Haven't been around as much to talk draft as I've been finishing my mock draft. This is the fourth year I've done all seven rounds and the second I've had explanations for every pick. It isn't perfect and I'll probably talk about what I don't like about it later because there is plenty, but it's a good time to learn about players and team needs. I will say this mock is more slanted toward what I think should happen rather than would. So if there was a player I rated low on my scouting reports, you can expect him to be a little lower in my mock.

And anytime you spend two to three weeks with a mock, players always move up and down the boards. Especially with us so close to the 26th. I try to modify my mock as I go along to reflect that but at times, it's tough. Because once you make one change, there's a huge subsequent domino effect.

Hope you guys enjoy the read and feel free to comment on it!

Chidi29
04-10-2012, 11:51 AM
Round 1

1. Indianapolis Colts: Andrew Luck/QB Stanford – The obvious choice as the first overall pick. Needless to say, the Colts don’t have a quarterback. Luck is an elite prospect and while no prospect is ever a “lock”, he has with very few flaws. He has a good arm, reads the entire field, and handled a pro offense at Stanford. Even with an overall poor supporting cast, Luck will have plenty of success at the next level.

2. Washington Redskins: Robert Griffin III/QB Baylor – The Redskins get a good consolation prize. Griffin has drawn comparisons to Vick, but the two are only similar in their athletic ability. Griffin is a far superior passer than Vick. Capable of keeping his eyes downfield while on the move, he has the best arm in this year’s class. The Redskins know you have to have a franchise player under center, like the rest of the NFC East, and Griffin will give them an excellent chance of obtaining that.

3. Minnesota Vikings: Morris Claiborne/CB LSU – Tough pick between Claiborne and Matt Kalil. Ultimately, the team chooses Claiborne. While depth is just as important in today’s NFL, it’s extremely valuable to have a #1 CB to face off against Calvin Johnson, Greg Jennings, and Brandon Marshall. Cedric Griffin and Antoine Winfield is coming off a broken collarbone at 35 years old.

4. Cleveland Browns: Trent Richardson/RB Alabama – Another toss-up between three players: Richardson, Justin Blackmon, and Quinton Coples. Ultimately, the team must follow BPA and Richardson edges out the rest of the group. He’s well put together and runs low to the ground with excellent balance. Even in an NFL and draft system that has recently devalued running backs, Richardson is worthy of a top five selection.

5. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Justin Blackmon/WR Oklahoma St – Perhaps a surprise pick to some, Blackmon makes sense. The team did sign Vincent Jackson and still have hopes for Mike Williams despite coming off a poor year, but it’s never a bad thing to have too many weapons. The ability to vary sets, from traditional I-Form to being able to spread out the field or effectively use bunch sets creates havoc on defenses. Blackmon’s talent is too difficult to pass up. The team rolled the dice hiring Greg Schiano, they do the same with the 5th pick. Value can’t be ignored especially this early.

6. St. Louis Rams: Matt Kalil/OT USC – The Rams get really good value with the sixth pick at Kalil is my top offensive tackle. Jason Smith has struggled the few times he’s been on the field and has already suffered multiple concussions. Kalil could stand to grow into his frame but is explosive out of his stance and shows the ability to mirror. He also gets good bend for a tackle as tall as he is. With the pick, the team has some flexibility along the line. Rodger Saffold could kick inside to guard, where he was projected to play coming out of Indiana or move to RT if Jason Smith suffers another injury.

7. Jacksonville Jaguars: Quinton Coples/DE North Carolina – The Jaguars have done this song and dance before, drafting players such as Quentin Groves and Derrick Harvey along with the free agent signing of Aaron Kampman not working out. Hopefully for their sake, things will be different this time. Coples is a big body at 284 and has a premier skillset. He does need to show a better repertoire but it is a minor issue given his overall talent. Jacksonville’s pass rush was anemic last season with just 31 sacks.

8. Miami Dolphins: Ryan Tannehill/QB Texas A&M – One of the more common picks that will be seen in mock drafts. The Dolphins lost out on Peyton Manning and Matt Flynn so they turn to the draft to attempt to gain stability under center. Tannehill is a smart kid who reads defenses well, shows good ball placement and while his arm may not be the strongest, it could be improved by mechanical tweaks.

9. Carolina Panthers: Michael Brockers/DT LSU – Carolina struck gold with Cam Newton last year. They stick with an SEC player again in Brockers. The team did draft Terrell McClain and Sione Fua last year but it’s still difficult to pass up on Brockers for a team who got run all over last season. Brockers is not a one-gap pass rusher but has great short area quickness and sheds blocks well. He’ll be a great asset versus the run.

10. Buffalo Bills: Kendall Wright/WR Baylor – Tough to figure out what to do with Buffalo at ten. Even though Buddy Nix tried to dispel the idea of the team not looking at any more receivers, the team did show interest in Robert Meachem for the vertical threat he brings. Meachem wound up in a Chargers’ uniform but there’s speed to be had in the draft. Wright plays much faster than he timed at the Combine and he and Robert Griffin hooked up on many chunk plays. He’ll give the Bills the vertical threat they’re looking for whether or not they want to admit it.

11. Kansas City Chiefs: Cordy Glenn/OT Georgia – Some may consider this a reach, but Glenn is my #2 OT. Brandon Albert has done an overall ok job at left tackle but there is a gaping hole at right tackle. Glenn is very light on his feet for a 330 pounder who can maul in the run game. With the Chiefs anxious to get back to the ground game with a healthy Jamaal Charles and newly acquired Peyton Hillis, Glenn gives the team stability on the strong side.

12. Seattle Seahawks: David DeCastro/OG Stanford – It’s rare to see a guard taken this high but DeCastro is the best player available while also filling a need for the team. Seattle has worked hard to improve their line, drafting Russell Okung, John Moffitt, and James Carpenter the past few seasons and continue to upgrade the trenches with DeCastro. A smart kid in blitz pickup who has the combination of being a good run blocker and can move in space, the Seahawks hope their line can be set for years.

13. Arizona Cardinals: Jonathan Martin/OT Stanford – Back-to-back Cardinal players are picked. The team did re-sign Levi Brown but he’s struggled mightily in his career. Martin moves well laterally and does a nice job getting his arms extended. He’ll be an asset at left tackle, allowing the team to move Brown to the right side.

14. Dallas Cowboys: Fletcher Cox/DE Mississippi St – He was a DT in college but will kick out to play five tech. He could even play NT at times considering the team’s unusual 3-4 front that has a smaller, quicker nose in Jay Ratliff. Cox finished his college career with 22.5 TFL and 7.5 sacks and his draft stock has been gaining steam in recent weeks.

15. Philadelphia Eagles: Devon Still/DT Penn St – Luke Kuechly is the popular pick at this spot but Andy Reid simply does not draft linebackers in the early rounds. The team doesn’t have many glaring needs but loves to stock up on the defensive line, the heart and soul of their pass rush. Still is a heck of an athlete who can get to the QB and get penetration against the run though he will need to be more consistent against it. His presence gives Jim Washburn another athletic lineman to play around with.

16. New York Jets: Courtney Upshaw/OLB Alabama – The Jets are sorely lacking at OLB. Players such as Jamaal Westerman should not have been playing as much as they did, and former bust Aaron Maybin actually led the team in sacks last season. Upshaw is the first of the two talented Bama linebackers off the board. He’s had 15.5 sacks in the past two seasons for the Crimson Tide.

17. Cincinnati Bengals: Janoris Jenkins/CB North Alabama – It just wouldn’t be a mock if the Bengals didn’t select a kid with character issues. Nate Clements resurged his career with the Bengals and they still have Leon Hall but depth is always key and outside of those two, the Bengals don’t have much else. Jenkins has claimed to have changed his life for the better. That remains to be seen but if there’s a team that’ll take a chance on him, it’s the Bengals.

18. San Diego Chargers: Dre Kirpatrick/CB Alabama – Back to back cornerbacks. The team lacks depth at cornerback. Kirpatrick did have a minor drug incident, though ultimately the charge was dropped, but is a talented player coming out of one of the few pro style defenses in college football.

19. Chicago Bears: Luke Kuechly/LB Boston College – Kuechly fell further than he’s projected in a lot of mocks so this is good value for the Bears. He can start out filling the void at weakside LB and be an heir apparent to either Brian Urlacher or Lance Briggs. He had a mind-boggling 532 tackles in just three years.

20. Tennessee Titans: Stephen Gilmore/CB South Carolina – The team is lacking a #1 CB after the loss of Corteland Finnegan who jumped ship to sign a $50 million deal with the Rams. The team is high on guys like Jason McCourtey and Alterraun Verner but they might not be true #1’s. Gilmore could go even higher than this; NFL Network’s Mike Mayock projects he could go within the top fifteen selection.

21. Cincinnati Bengals: Mark Barron/SS Alabama – The Bengals use their second pick of the first round to continue to shore up the secondary. Chris Crocker was just released by the team. Barron had a great career with Alabama and is already the third player from there to be taken in the first 21 picks.

22. Cleveland Browns: Michael Floyd/WR Notre Dame – The Browns’ continue to improve their skill positions with the pickup of Floyd. He doesn’t have blistering speed but is quick to get up to his top speed and gets yards after the catch, perfect for a West Coast offense. It would be wise to get a receiver in the first round instead of waiting as they’ve unsuccessfully tried that in the past with players like Mohamed Massaquoi and Brian Robiske. Giving Colt McCoy more weapons would obviously be a benefit.

23. Detroit Lions: Riley Reiff/OT Iowa – This is too high for even me. Jeff Backus does seem to always find a way to stick at left tackle and to his credit, has started every game for the Lions. But he is 36 and eventually, his successor must be found. Reiff has shown flashes of good lateral movement and pass protection but is inconsistent and definitely lacking in functional strength. His only chance to stick is at left tackle, and I don’t see him doing it.

24. Pittsburgh Steelers: Dont’a Hightower/ILB Alabama – The popular pick for Pittsburgh. He may only be a two down thumper but is extremely competent in that role. He’s a big kid who can wrap up as well as deliver a big hit. He also sheds blocks well, important for an ILB. Hightower can compete with Larry Foote for a starting job right away.

25. Denver Broncos: Dontari Poe/DT Memphis – Some may think this is good value but I’m not a fan of Poe. While he is one of the most interesting triangle players in this year’s draft, it didn’t match up on tape. He runs hot and cold, doesn’t dominate one-on-ones the way you’d expect, and is on the ground way too much. Still, the Broncos still lack a big body on their interior line.

26. Houston Texans: Rueben Randle/WR LSU – The team doesn’t have a whole lot of needs but are lacking a good compliment to Andre Johnson. Randle had a strong senior year, averaging over 17 yards per catch and eight touchdowns despite less than stellar quarterback play. He’s a burner with good size, a tough combination to find.

27. New England Patriots: Peter Konz/C Wisconsin – Dan Koppen was let go by the team after missing most of 2011 with injury. Dan Connolly was re-signed but Konz is still a solid addition. He’s a highly decorated Badger who does well in both a phone booth and chipping and getting to the second level.

28. Green Bay Packers: Melvin Ingram/OLB South Carolina – Another player I don’t like who will probably go higher than 28 but should go even lower. Clay Matthews has obviously emerged as one of the most ferocious pass rushers in the league. But the team is still searching for someone to play opposite of him. Frank Zombo, Erik Walden, nor Brad Jones have been able to hold down the starting gig for any period of time. Ingram is an interesting athlete but is still a tweener even in today’s sub-package and hybrid world who gets run out against the run.

29. Baltimore Ravens: Kevin Zeitler/OG Wisconsin – Zeitler is just what the doctor ordered after the Ravens lost Ben Grubbs to the Saints. Zeitler, the second Badger in the last three picks to be selected, is another throwback kid who works really well in a phone booth and will be an asset on trap blocks. The Ravens are getting a player who may not be flashy, but will be a consistent starter on their line for the next ten years.

30. San Francisco 49ers: Josh Chapman/NT Alabama – The 49ers don’t have a lot of needs after being active in free agency signing receivers Randy Moss and Mario Manningham and cornerback Carlos Rogers. In these situations, I fall back on my BPA. Chapman is my top player remaining on the board and fits the 49ers odd defense. Isaac Sopoaga did a tremendous job last season to lead the 49ers to one of the most stout run defenses in recent history but is entering the last year of his contract. Price tags on nose tackles are growing so there’s no guarantee he’ll stay any longer. Chapman is the true definition of a zero technique. He plays with excellent leverage, has the strength of an ox, and insane pain tolerance. The fact that he missed just one game after tearing his ACL mid-way through last season speaks volumes.

31. New England Patriots: Andre Branch/DE Clemson – The team takes BPA while also filling a need. Andre Carter is a free agent and Mark Anderson signed with the Bears, leaving the team without one of the most underrated pass rushing duos last year. Branch is explosive off the edge and can be dominant at times. He also provides the possibility for versatility in the Patriot’s hybrid defense.

32. New York Giants: Dwayne Allen/TE Clemson – One of the few positions the Giants “need”. Travis Beckum and Jake Ballard both suffered serious knee injuries. Martellus Bennett, who the team recently signed, has always been an interesting move TE but isn’t the complete package. Allen is. He may not have timed well at the Combine but plays much faster on tape and is a willing, competent blocker.

Chidi29
04-10-2012, 11:56 AM
Round 2

33. St. Louis Rams: Brandon Thompson/DT Clemson – The Rams are lacking on the interior defensive line. That is most evident by having the 31st worst run defense in the league, allowing over 150 yards per game on the ground. Thompson won’t offer much as a pass rusher but is stout against the run. He’s explosive off the snap and shows good leg drive. His big thighs earned him the nickname “Yams” while in college.

34. Indianapolis Colts: Alamedu Ta’amu/NT Washington – The Colts are making a radical switch from the Tampa 2 to an odd defense after hiring Chuck Pagano and Greg Manusky. The focal point of a defense is the nose tackle. They don’t come much bigger than Ta’amu, who comes in at 346 and is a better athlete than you’d expect. He does have some technique issues and needs to get his arms extended but holds double teams well, can get penetration, and shows great conditioning.

35. Minnesota Vikings: Jeff Allen/OT Illinois – The team skipped on Matt Kalil in the first round but still need a left tackle. Charlie Johnson simply is not going to cut it. Allen is shorter than most tackles but is extremely athletic with the ability to mirror. He was a four year starter and two year captain in college.

36. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Harrison Smith/SS Notre Dame – The Buccaneers need a MIKE more than they do safety but there isn’t one worth taking right now. The team did attempt to upgrade cornerback by adding Eric Wright, though it seems like he was overpaid, but there is still a hole at safety. Tanard Jackson, provided he keeps his nose clean for the rest of his career, is a capable starter at free safety but there’s a void at SS. Smith had 90+ tackles his final two years with the Fighting Irish and showed good ball skills with seven picks his junior year.

37. Cleveland Browns: Nick Perry/DE USC – The team struck gold after drafting Jabaal Sheard in the first round last season and focus on the defensive side of the ball after using their first two picks of this mock draft on offense. The team is just missing that extra piece along the defensive line as they boast an otherwise strong defensive line with Sheard, Taylor, and Rubin. Perry has a lot of natural athleticism to his game but needs to develop a strong repertoire.

38. Jacksonville Jaguars: Stephen Hill/WR Georgia Tech – The first thought of many Jaguars’ fans is the fear of drafting another Matt Jones. And while the fears are valid to an extent, there’s no denying that it is difficult to pass up the triangle numbers Hill has. He is 6’4 215 and ran a blistering 4.36 40. Like any Yellow Jacket receiver, his route running is raw since he is coming out of a triple option offense where the receivers mainly ran nine routes and smoke screens. But Calvin Johnson and Demaryius Thomas have proven themselves in the NFL, giving teams more confidence in Hill. Jacksonville desperately needs a number one receiver.

39. St. Louis Rams: Zac Brown/OLB North Carolina – Aside from James Laurinaitis, the team doesn’t have much at linebacker. Brown is one of the fastest linebackers in recent years, running a 4.50 forty at this year’s Combine and burst onto the scene his senior year with 103 tackles and 13.5 TFL. He’ll likely be a weakside linebacker for the Rams.

40. Carolina Panthers: Whitney Mercilus/DE Illinois – Charles Johnson has been a potent pass rusher and the team did the smart thing of locking him up long-term last season. Still, they’re still looking for someone opposite of him. That being said, I’m not a personal fan of Mercilus. He’s just an average pass rusher who is routinely washed out against the run. But he’s got to go somewhere and will probably go even higher in the actual draft so the value isn’t too bad for Carolina.

41. Buffalo Bills: Mike Adams/OT Ohio St – Demetrius Bell played pretty well for the team last season but has hit the free agent market and there’s a good chance he signs elsewhere. I don’t think Adams can survive as a left tackle but the team needs help on both sides. Adams has the potential to be a mauling run blocker in his huge 6’8, 320+ frame.

42. Miami Dolphins: Bobby Massie/OT Ole Miss – It wasn’t too long ago that the team seemed to be set at offensive tackle with Jake Long and Vernon Carey. Long is still there but Carey broke down and is now a free agent. There isn’t much else in the cupboard at tackle. Massie could start Day 1.

43. Seattle Seahawks: Coby Fleener/TE Stanford – The team let John Carlson go in free agency. Fleener is a big body at 6’6 and a big red zone threat with 10 touchdowns his senior season with the Cardinal.

44. Kansas City Chiefs: Jerel Worthy/NT Michigan St – The team is still looking for a future nose tackle. Kelly Gregg is just a stop-gap. The Chiefs did draft Jerrell Powe last season but there’s no guarantee that he’ll make an impact. Worthy may not be your typical zero tech at “just” 308 pounds, but he has a huge lower half and has good upper body strength.

45. Dallas Cowboys: Doug Martin/RB Boise St – The Cowboys always seem to go after a running back high in the draft. Running back isn’t a huge need, but the team doesn’t have many holes. There’s nothing wrong with adding to skill positions, especially when Felix Jones and DeMarco Murray have checkered injury histories. Martin has over 600 carries, never missing a game. He’s also gotten work out of the backfield, catching 28 balls in both his junior and senior seasons with the Broncos.

46. Philadelphia Eagles: Lavonte David/OLB Nebraska – The team did acquire DeMeco Ryans from the Texans but still need an upgrade at linebacker. He’ll fill in nicely for Philly whose linebackers were by far the weakest area of the team in 2011. David was a JUCO kid who didn’t join the Cornhuskers until 2010 but had 285 tackles in two years. Needless to say, production isn’t an issue for him.

47. New York Jets: Kendall Reyes/DE UConn – The team did spend a first round pick on Muhammad Wilkerson last season but after losing Shaun Ellis, they still need help at DE. Reyes is a favorite of Mike Mayock. In his career, the Huskie had over 30 TFL and 11.5 sacks. The Jets’ run defense finished outside of the top ten for the first time since 2007.

48. New England Patriots: Josh Robinson/CB UCF – The team will be getting Ras-I Dowling back from injury but aside from him and Kyle Arrington, there’s isn’t much else for the Pats. They routinely moved players on and off the practice squad last season. Robinson opened up eyes at the Combine, running a 4.33. He’s also not a stick either at just under 200 pounds and had 28 breakups his past two seasons.

49. San Diego Chargers: Kelechie Osemele/OG Iowa St – Guard now becomes a need for the Chargers after Kris Deilman’s retirement . I’ve soured on Osemele’s ability to play tackle but there’s no denying he is an intimidating player at 6’5 ½ 333 pounds who wins the battle as soon as he locks on.

50. Chicago Bears: Jamell Fleming/CB Oklahoma – Aside from Peanut Tillman, the Bears don’t have much at cornerback in a division with some of the most talented receivers in the NFL. Fleming is a big corner at over 200 pounds who can play press man/zone in Lovie Smith’s Tampa 2.

51. Philadelphia Eagles: David Wilson/RB Virginia Tech – Obviously, the team has LeSean McCoy. But it’s important to remember the importance of value in the draft and Wilson is too good to pass up. McCoy, is entering the final year of his rookie deal and while he will likely re-sign with Philly, there is no guarantee. At worst, he and Wilson have a chance to become a two-headed attack or injury insurance for McCoy.

52. Tennessee Titans: Mohamed Sanu/WR Rutgers - The team does have the ultra-talented Kenny Britt and Nate Washington isn’t bad himself but depth to give a team the ability to go 3 and 4 wide is key today. The team has failed to take mid round receivers and turn them into starters. Lavelle Hawkins and Paul Williams come to mind. The last Rutgers receiver they selected, Britt, turned out well. At least, when Britt isn’t a thorn in the team’s side.

53. Cincinnati Bengals: Brian Quick/WR Appalachian St – The team struck gold on AJ Green and will be getting Jordan Shipley back for 2012. But Jerome Simpson’s off the field issues became too much for the team and Andre Caldwell never panned out. Quick really made a name for himself in pre-draft events and had a productive career. He’s special teams capable as well meaning he’ll get a helmet even quicker in year one.

54. Detroit Lions: Brandon Boykin/CB Georgia – Cornerback has been a chronic need for the team. Eric Wright was overpaid but losing him doesn’t do the team any favors. Boykin suffered a small leg fracture which caused his stock to take a slight dip but he’s good value here. He finished his career with 9 INTs, no small feat when you’re playing in the SEC.

55. Atlanta Falcons: Orson Charles/TE Georgia – Tony Gonzalez keeps chugging along but there is no heir to the throne. The Falcons join the trend of drafting undersized, athletic tight ends that would have been considered tweeners without a home five years ago. Charles is built like Aaron Hernandez, showing a vertical threat and capable of getting separation

56. Pittsburgh Steelers: Brandon Brooks/OG Miami (OH) – Another player that has been rocketing up draft boards after strong showings in the East/West Shrine Game and his Pro Day. He was a snub at the Combine but ran a 4.98 and did 36 reps on the bench press. The team has shown interest in him attending his Pro Day and made out pretty well with the last player they picked from the school. The Steelers have a hole at LG following Chris Kemoeatu’s release.

57. Denver Broncos: Lamar Miller/RB Miami (FL) – Not very many needs for Denver as they’ve been active in free agency to fill needs. Willis McGahee surpassed everyone’s expectations after Knowshon Moreno tore his ACL, leaving Moreno’s time fairly limited. He isn’t owed a lot of money and the team has an option in 2014. Even with Peyton Manning, this will still be a team that wants to run the ball. Miller shot up draft boards after running a 4.4 forty. A luxury pick but those are nice to have as a team.

58. Houston Texans: Ladarius Green/TE Louisiana-Lafayette – Like Denver, not a ton of needs for the Texans, especially after snagging a receiver in the first round. Nothing wrong with adding to the skill positions in an NFL that is about points. James Casey may get even more time in the backfield after Lawrence Vickers signed with the Cowboys. Owen Daniels had a nice season coming off a torn ACL but tight ends are a hot commodity. Green will be a red zone threat at nearly 6’6 and someone Matt Schaub can throw down to the seam at inside the twenty.

59. Green Bay Packers: Jared Crick/DE Nebraska – The Packers’ run defense was poor last season, allowing 4.7 yards per carry. That was an abysmal 26th in the league. Mike Neal has dealt with injuries and will miss the first four games of 2012 due to a suspension causing some to think he will be released. Crick is pretty good value at the back end of the second round but I’m not a huge fan of him. He’s coming off a torn pectoral muscle that limited him to just five games his senior year and when watching him, he pops up too much on contact. But he offers more as a pass rusher than a lot of five techs.

60. Baltimore Ravens: Bruce Irvin/OLB West Virginia – Terrell Suggs is an animal but accounted for over 1/3 of the team’s sacks last year, 32, which ranked an uncharacteristic 20th in the league. Sergio Kindle had potential coming out of Texas but a fractured skull has set his career back and I’ve never been a fan of Paul Kruger. Irvin was a college DE who will play with his hand up. He is going to be very raw in coverage and struggles against the run to the point where he didn’t play a lot in run heavy situations (i.e. red zone football) but he’s a long-legged, plus athlete with a whole lot of upside.

61. San Francisco 49ers: Casey Heyward/CB Vanderbilt – As I said with the team’s previous pick, they did sign Carlos Rogers. The team also grabbed Perrish Cox and Chris Culliver was a nice surprise last year. But a pass defense that was in the bottom third of the league last season could use an upgrade. Heyward looked fluid in his backpedal in drills at the Combine and was a ballhawk his last two years with the Commodores, racking up 13 INT.

62. New England Patriots: Alshon Jeffrey/WR South Carolina – Jeffrey comes with some risk but is good value as the next to last pick of the second round. He continued to show the ability to keep his weight in check, weighing in at 213 at his Pro Day. Jeffrey’s production suffered due to poor quarterback play but was still a red zone threat who showed the ability to pluck the ball at its highest point. New England often plays the risk/reward game but more often than not, they come out on top.

63. New York Giants: Amini Silatolu/OG Midwestern St – The team could use depth at guard as their line isn’t as stable as it used to be. Kevin Boothe is more of a swingman than a full-time starter at guard. Silatolu is one of the best small school prospects and the first D-II player off the board as the last pick in the second round.

Chidi29
04-10-2012, 12:00 PM
Round 3

64. Indianapolis Colts: Tank Carder/ILB TCU – Carder is a kid I’m really high on and would fit well at ILB in the team’s new 3-4. He isn’t the flashiest kid but is better in coverage than you’d expect and is solid against the run, doing a nice job of wrapping up and driving through his tackles. The Colts continue to add pieces to its front seven. Carder and Pat Angerer would be a nice duo inside.

65. St. Louis Rams: Antonio Allen/SS South Carolina – The Rams made a big splash at cornerback in free agency by signing Cortland Finnegan but still need help at safety since OJ Atogwe’s departure. Allen goes 6’1 210 and had 88 tackles in addition to three interceptions his senior year.

66. Minnesota Vikings: Trumaine Johnson/FS Montana – The Vikings’ pass defense was awful last year, giving up 251 yards per game. After drafting Claiborne in the first, they go back to the secondary well. Johnson was a cornerback with the Grizzles but is too slow and too tight-hipped to stay there. However, he was a ballhawk with 15 INTs in his career.

67. Cleveland Browns: Keenan Robinson/OLB Texas – The Browns’ pass defense was excellent last year but part of that could be attributed to the fact teams preferred just to run on them. They were 30th in the league allowing nearly 150 yards on the ground. The team did a nice job to lock up D’Qwell Jackson long-term but with Scott Fujita possibly facing a suspension and slated to hit free agency at the end of the year, Robinson is a good fit. He had over 100 tackles in each of his final two years with the Longhorns.

68. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Isaiah Pead/RB Cincinnati – LeGarrette Blount was one of the bigger disappointments in the league last year, as his inability to be a three down back hampered him and in turn, Tampa’s offense. Pead looked good at the Combine and had 87 catches in his career, including 39 during his senior campaign.

69. Washington Redskins: Bobby Wagner/ILB Utah St – Washington severely needs to add bodies at inside linebacker after letting Rocky McIntosh and London Fletcher hit the open market. The team is set at outside linebacker but there isn’t anything inside. Wagner was a four year starter with the Aggies and may be asked to start right away. It seems that he is capable of doing so.

70. Jacksonville Jaguars: Ryan Lindley/QB San Diego St – The team did draft Blaine Gabbert early in the first round last year but he had one of the worst rookie campaigns this side of John Beck. I didn’t like Gabbert coming out of college and obviously, his first year didn’t do anything to change my mind. Lindley is good value in the third round as there hasn’t been a quarterback taken in this mock since the Dolphins took Ryan Tannehill with the 8th overall pick. He will need a lot of coaching to break his bad footwork habits but there is upside.

71. Buffalo Bills: James Hanna/TE Oklahoma – Scott Chandler started the 2011 on fire as a legitimate red zone threat. But he quickly faded with the rest of the Bills’ team and became an afterthought. The team did bring him back but last year may wind up being his best season. Hanna isn’t the biggest tight end but a heck of an athlete and will give Ryan Fitzpatrick another weapon.

72. Miami Dolphins: Nick Toon/WR Wisconsin – The team became fed up with Brandon Marshall’s antics and dealt him to the Bears. The move is understandable but leaves the team with very few weapons. Davone Bess becomes the team’s top target and he profiles as a slot receiver. Toon isn’t the fastest but has good size at over 6’1 and always seemed to come up big for the Badgers. He hopes to have the same success as hid dad Al Toon, minus the concussions.

73. Miami Dolphins: Shea McClellin/OLB Boise St – McClellin is too good to pass up at 73. It’s not known what base defense the team will employ after showing a lot of 4-3 looks last season. Regardless, McClellin can put his hand down in an even defense and stand up in an odd. Koa Misi was recently arrested on assault charges, putting a cloud over his future. The Bronco had 15.5 sacks his junior and senior seasons combined.

74. Kansas City Chiefs: Adam Gettis/OG Iowa – To me, Gettis should go even higher. He’s the third best guard of the players I watched this year. He’s also solid above the shoulders, showing the ability to pick up stunts and blitzes, and is one of the most athletic guards in the draft. He may need to spend some time in the weight room but the talent is definitely there. Jon Asamoah will probably be penciled in at one guard spot but the other spot is up in the air. Ryan Lilja was just signed but it says something when the Colts start cutting lineman.

75. Seattle Seahawks: Leonard Johnson/CB Iowa St – Marcus Trufant was released, as expected, leaving a thin team at corner with even less. Former CFL’er Brandon Browner was the team’s top cornerback last year. Johnson has some bulk to his frame and possesses fluid hips. He’ll give the team special teams value as a kick returner, too.

76. Houston Texans: Donald Stephenson/OT Oklahoma – To the surprise of many, the Texans released Eric Winston right before the start of free agency, leaving a hole at RT. Stephenson isn’t your traditional mauling right tackle but doesn’t have to be in the Texans’ zone-blocking scheme. He’s got great athleticism and does well in space in front on screens.

77. New York Jets: Juron Criner/WR Arizona – Some may think this is a reach but in the times I watched Nick Foles, Criner always seemed to impress. Plus, receiver is always a volatile and unpredictable position in the draft. The team is looking to give Mark Sanchez (Tim Tebow?) an extra weapon and replace the size Plaxico Burress left. Criner is 6’2 but plays even bigger than that showing a big catch radius.

78. San Diego Chargers: Bernard Pierce/RB Temple – Ryan Matthews is definitely starter-capable when he’s healthy but health has been his biggest stumbling block. Mike Tolbert jumped ship to join the Panthers, leaving the Bolts with little else to turn to in the event of an injury. Pierce had a monster career for the Owls and helped make them relevant, with nearly 1500 rushing yards his senior year.

79. Chicago Bears: Michael Egnew/TE Missouri – A run on skill positions as Egnew is one of the better players available even if the team has a bigger need at SS and DT. With Mike Martz gone, the team will return to an emphasis on using a tight end. Kellen Davis was re-signed but he’s always been just long on potential. Egnew isn’t explosive but has good size and will be a reliable safety valve for Jay Cutler.

80. Arizona Cardinals: Zebrie Sanders/OG Florida St – The team did already take an offensive tackle after selecting Jonathan Martin in the first round, but Sanders best fit will come at guard. The team let Duece Lutui hit the market and he signed with Seattle. There isn’t much else at guard as Arizona continues to upgrade the offensive line. Sanders is a big body at 320 pounds and won’t have to worry as much about his tendency to double over if he kicks inside to guard.

81. Dallas Cowboys: Tommy Streeter/WR Miami (FL) – Jerry Jones can’t resist a player with the triangle numbers Streeter possesses. He is just shy of being 6’5 flat, weighs 219 pounds, and ran a 4.4 at the Combine. On the downside, the production didn’t always match up with just 52 catches in his career though in his defense, he played well in 2011 for the Canes.

82. Tennessee Titans: Nigel Bradham/OLB Florida St – The team looks to give itself a starting trio of linebackers in addition to Colin McCarthy and Gerald McRath. Bradham had an ultra-consistent career, being the first Seminole to lead the team in tackles for three straight years since the early 90s. He’s an athletic kid that can get an immediate look at weakside linebacker.

83. Cincinnati Bengals: Brandon Washington/OG Miami (FL) – Bobbie Williams’ great career with the Bengals finally came to an end. An underclassman who declared early, Washington is a mountain of a man tipping the scales at 6’2 320.

84. Atlanta Falcons: Brandon Mosley/OT Auburn – Sam Baker has dealt with injuries, putting the first rounder on the bench for Will Svitek last season. Svitek isn’t a long-term starter either. Mosley is inexperienced, just a two year starter at left tackle after playing at tight end and defensive end previously. But he’s a lot more refined than you’d expect and could wind up being a steal after some coaching and more time on the line.

85. Detroit Lions: Lucas Nix/OG Pittsburgh – The team continues to try and shore up its line, this time focusing on the interior. Nix is a big body at 6’5 317 who has some versatility, seeing a lot of time at right guard and tackle while at Pitt.

86. Pittsburgh Steelers: Mike Martin/NT Michigan – Martin may not have the girth of your typical nose tackle but he sure plays like one. He’s a throwback kid who works hard on every play and has built in leverage at 6’1. A player no longer has to be 330 pounds to get a look at nose tackle. A wrestling champion in high school, captain of the Wolverines his senior year, and 37 starts under his belt, Martin will be the heir to Casey Hampton.

87. Denver Broncos: Brock Osweiler/QB Arizona St – Hopefully there will be less controversy about quarterback this season. There is currently only Adam Weber behind Peyton Manning on the depth chart. This is low for the Sun Devil but I’ve always thought teams either go after a QB in the first two rounds or they wait and take a flier in the last two. He’ll probably go higher than this especially since it’s easy for a team to fall in love with a guy that is 6’7 and has a big arm. That’s why I have him ahead of players like Kirk Cousins who I have ranked higher on my personal rankings. Osweiler has the measurables but his long arms make for an even longer windup that will be tough to correct.

88. Philadelphia Eagles: James Brown/OT Troy – Losing Jason Peters to a ruptured Achilles Tendon is a crushing blow for the Eagles. And while reaching for a guy in the first round would be an overreaction, Peters will hopefully return to All-Pro form after a year, the team doesn’t have much depth. Brown is shorter than typical tackles at just 6’3 but has long 34 inch arms and moves well laterally.

89. New Orleans Saints: Vinny Curry/DE Marshall – Even for a team that is dealing with the upheaval of the coaching staff and front office, it’s a group that doesn’t have a ton of needs on the field. Especially after retaining Marques Colston and signing Curtis Lofton. You can never have too many pass rushers on your team and playing in the NFC South against Matt Ryan and Cam Newton is no exception. Will Smith may be in his final year with the Saints. Curry had a great career with the Thundering Herd, racking up 49 TFL and 26.5 sacks in four seasons.

90. Green Bay Packers: Markelle Martin/FS Oklahoma St – The team takes its third defensive player of the draft, making Dom Capers a happy man. Nick Collins, as the time of writing this, will know if he is medically cleared to play football again in the next few days but even if he is cleared, he’s coming off a very serious spine injury that leaves his future murky. Martin didn’t come up with many interceptions in his career but is one of the better athletes at safety and was still always around the ball.

91. Baltimore Ravens: Malik Jackson/DE Tennessee – The Ravens need some help along the defensive line after losing Corey Redding to the Colts. Jackson, the former USC’er who transferred to Tennessee after the Trojans’ NCAA violations, has gotten time at DT and DE. He’ll be a versatile piece in a defense that gives odd and even looks.

92. San Francisco 49ers: David Molk/C Michigan – The team was forced to move Jonathan Goodwin to center after Eric Heitmann’s neck injury that ended his career with the 49ers and possibly in the league. Molk is undersized but an athlete who can chip and get to the second level. He struggled against powerful DTs but will be facing just one NFC West team that runs an odd defense. Molk’s just the second center off the board though I’m sure if you ask him, he’d say it should be the first.

93. New England Patriots: Billy Winn/DE Boise St – Winn is a low-key pick that won’t grab headlines, he’s a great selection for the Patriots. He’s versatile enough to fit as a five tech and can kick inside at the three technique. The Broncos’ defense is one of the more complicated ones in college in terms of pre-snap adjustments and stunting, making the learning curve easier for Winn.

94. New York Giants: Robert Turbin/RB Utah St – Brandon Jacobs’ knees were just too worn down, leading the team to release him. Andre Brown was just suspended for the first four games of the season and I’ve never been one to trust Ahmad Bradshaw’s feet. Asking him to handle the workload himself is a risky proposition. Turbin bounced back strongly after missing 2010 with a knee injury, rushing for 1,517 yards and 19 touchdowns his senior year.

95. Oakland Raiders: Taylor Thompson/TE SMU – Really interesting story here for the Raiders’ first pick, a compensation one, of the draft. Thompson was a four year defensive end with the Mustangs who is going back to his high school roots, making the switch to tight end. He’s got eye-popping triangle numbers at 6’6 259 running in the high 4.5’s at his Pro Day. He also posted a 37 inch vertical. While the team is under a new regime, GM Reggie McKenzie knows the value of having a physical freak at tight end in Jermichael Finley. The team let go of Kevin Boss, leaving Brandon Myers as the current starting tight end. Yikes.

Chidi29
04-10-2012, 12:06 PM
Round 4

96. St. Louis Rams: Chris Polk/RB Washington – Steven Jackson is the workhorse but he’s already piled up the injuries and you have to think he can’t last much longer at the carry rate he’s at. The team has to give him someone who can at the very least, spell him every now and then. I’m not a fan of Polk’s NFL prospects, he doesn’t have the wiggle or a second gear, but he is a guy that can come in and play Day One. He is competent in pass protection and has sure hands out of the backfield. On the plus side, he’s durable and does a nice job fighting for that extra yard.

97. Indianapolis Colts: Josh Norman/CB Coastal Carolina – Every pick aside from Andrew Luck has been focusing on the defensive side of the ball. And there’s good reason when you’re talking about a defense that allowed over 370 yards per game, ranking in the bottom third of the league. Norman was a 3rd team All-American as a sophomore and offers some special teams value. Even as a fourth rounder, he’s a guy that can contribute right away.

98. Minnesota Vikings: Marvin McNutt/WR Iowa – Percy Harvin is talented but severely underused by the Vikes last year perhaps due to concerns over his injuries and migraines. At 6’2 216, McNutt would be a good compliment to the speedy Harvin. The former Hawkeye exploded his senior year catching 82 balls for over 1300 yards and 12 touchdowns.

99. Houston Texans: Brandon Weeden/QB Oklahoma St – Weeden will go higher than this, though I really don’t see a lot of teams searching for a QB that didn’t snag one in the top ten, but I’m not a fan. He looks great when afforded time and a sound base but put pressure in his face or ask him to move and he breaks down. It is worth at least mentioning that this is the last year of Matt Schaub’s contract though I assume the team is interested in re-signing him.

100. Cleveland Browns: Mitchell Schwartz/OT California – After flirting with skill positions early in the draft, the Browns switch to drafting the big uglys. The offensive line has a good core with Joe Thomas, Alex Mack and Jason Pinkston. But after Tony Pashos’s release, there’s a hole at right tackle. Schwartz has above average upper body strength but is just a phone booth guy who needs a fire lit under him.

101. Jacksonville Jaguars: Michael Brewster/C Ohio St – Brad Meester is an ageless wonder but he can’t play forever and there have been questions about how much longer he’ll be with the team for the past two years. Brewster is a much bigger pivot than most at 6’4 312.

102. Washington Redskins: George Iloka/FS Boise St – The Redskins are bare at safety after Laron Landry’s injury drove him away from Washington and to New York. I’m just not sure where Iloka fits. He was a free safety in college but at 6’3, he’s tight-hipped even for a safety. Still, getting him in the 4th is tough to ignore and the Skins need help in the secondary.

103. Miami Dolphins: Derek Wolfe/DT Cincinnati – Another versatile player in the Dolphins’ hybrid defense. Wolfe goes 6’5 295, meaning he can play inside or out depending on the front. Wolfe exploded his senior year to the tune of 70 tackles, 21.5 of those for a loss, and 9.5 sacks. The value is definitely right at pick 103. Wolfe is steadily climbing up draft boards.

104. Carolina Panthers: Omar Bolden/CB Arizona St – Carolina can get away with Chris Gamble and Captain Munnerlyn at corner but depth would be a plus. Bolden has always been big on talent but short on health, missing last season with a knee injury and being limited to four games in 2009. But he’s built well at 202 and productive when healthy. The team took Brandon Hogan, who was also dealing with a torn ACL, at pick 98 last season.

105. Buffalo Bills: Kirk Cousins/QB Michigan St – A player cut from the same mold as Ryan Fitzpatrick. Cousins isn’t going to wow anyone with his arm strength and his decision-making is questionable at times but he’s mechanically sound and has a good internal clock. He’ll be a guy who can learn from Fitzpatrick and insurance down the road if the Harvard grad doesn’t recapture the caliber of play he was at the first half of 2011.

106. Seattle Seahawks: Mychal Kendricks/OLB California – The team could use someone to man the weakside. KJ Wright is the only ‘backer the team can count on for the upcoming year; David Hawthorne signed with the Saints. Some consider Kendricks a top 25 player but I just don’t see it. He does have eye-popping numbers in shorts, running a 4.47 40 and posting a 39.5 vertical. And that does translate onto the tape, he’s a very athletic player with great range. But he possesses a slender build and often gets engulfed by larger lineman, leading him to get washed out against the run.

107. Kansas City Chiefs: T.Y. Hilton/WR Florida International – Hilton is a player on the rise and it’s certainly possible he’ll find his way into the third round. He’s certainly not physically imposing at 5’9 183 but his stat sheet does the talking with 70 catches and over 1000 yards. This included 201 yards and two scores in an upset win over Louisville. Definitely good value in the fourth.

108. Denver Broncos: Chris Givens/WR Wake Forest – Perhaps one of the more underrated players in the draft. He left school a year early after a great junior campaign in which he put up 1330 yards and averaged 16 yards per catch. He’ll be another weapon for Peyton Manning that can play in the slot. Because aside from Thomas and Decker, there isn’t much at WR.

109. Washington Redskins: Tom Compton/OG South Dakota – A tackle in college, the Redskins will use his athleticism at guard in the NFL. Though the versatility is never a bad thing especially with Trent Williams’ nagging injuries. The only decent guard they have is Chris Chester though Kory Lichtensteiger has starting experience.

110. San Diego Chargers: Deangelo Peterson/TE LSU – Antonio Gates is still a top tight end but the foot injuries have become worrisome. Plus, there isn’t much behind him. Peterson is a project who wasn’t utilized much as LSU, just 18 receptions his senior year, but an athletic tight end everyone in the league is looking for.

111. Chicago Bears: Nate Potter/OT Boise St – Chris Williams has been moved inside to guard, the team couldn’t get much of a read on Gabe Carimi because of an injury that kept him out most of the season and while J’Marcus Webb has done more than what was expected of him, he’s still struggled in pass protection. Potter has a lot of experience and did a good job protecting Kellen Moore. He may need to add weight, however, weighing in at just 303 on his 6’5 frame.

112. Arizona Cardinals: Cam Johnson/OLB Virginia –O’Brien Schofield showed a lot of promise but they’re still looking for someone opposite of him. Johnson and Sam Acho will battle for the pass rushing role. The Cavalier recorded 11 TFL in 2011. The sack production was a bit disappointing with just four last year but the talent is there.

113. Dallas Cowboys: Ryan Steed/CB Furman – As I’ve said ad nauseam, you can never have too many cornerbacks in the NFL. Especially when you have the oft-injured Michael Jenkins. Steed was a ballhawk for the Paladins with 14 career interceptions, including returning two for touchdowns in his junior year. A 2011 FCS All-American, he also offers special teams value on punt coverage, blocking two punts his freshman season. He’ll get on the field quickly even if it isn’t on defense.

114. Philadelphia Eagles: Chandler Jones/DE Syracuse – Following the trend of the Eagles’ stockpiling up on pass rushers. That’s their goal and is evident by tying for the league lead in sacks in 2011 with 50. Jones still managed to be a first team All-Big East despite playing in just seven games. His production waned throughout his career, in part due to injury, but he’s got the prototypical pass rushing build at 6’5 266. There’s room to grow.

115. Tennessee Titans: Tony Jerod-Eddie/DT Texas A&M – Wonder what Ricky Bobby thinks about a player with three first names. Eddie was productive for the Aggies despite being a lineman in their 3-4 defense, racking up 56 tackles and five sacks during his senior year. He’ll be a part of the log jam to fill Jason Jones’ shoes, along with developing players Sen’Derrick Marks and Karl Klug.

116. Cincinnati Bengals: Lennon Creer/RB Louisiana Tech – Creer is one of the more underrated players in my book though I admit I haven’t gotten a real good look at him. He impressed me in pre-draft workouts, playing in both the East/West Shrine Game (where he earned MVP honors) and the Senior Bowl. He’s got a lot of girth at 219. The team did sign the reliable Law Firm but the Bengals don’t seem to have much confidence in Bernard Scott. Even last year, they were afraid to get him heavily involved in the offense despite Benson’s struggles.

117. Detroit Lions: Frank Alexander/DE Oklahoma – A player I never watched too closely but always seemed to be making big plays whenever I had Oklahoma tape on. Alexander is a monster against the run. I have some questions about how much weight he can add but think he’ll be a solid strong side defensive end. Some time at tackle isn’t out of the question either. The Lions boast one of the best defensive lines but Cliff Avril was tagged and Lawrence Jackson, who played well last season after busting in Seattle, is in the final year of his contract.

118. Cleveland Browns: Chase Minnifield/CB Virginia – Once considered a top cornerback prospect, his stock really nose-dived his senior year. Still, his senior year was fairly productive with three interceptions and he had a highly decorated career with the Cavaliers. A good value pick for the Browns.

119. Pittsburgh Steelers: Marvin Jones/WR California – A real sleeper in my book and one of the best guys I had left on the board. Jones never put up eye-popping numbers in part to playing in an anemic Golden Bears’ offense but is a well put together receiver with soft hands who’s a better YAC guy that given credit for. The team has its own “Big Three” but won’t have much else if Jerricho Cotchery signs elsewhere.

120. Denver Broncos: Philip Blake/C Baylor – J.D. Walton has started each of the past two seasons but was one of the worst centers last year. Blake is an insurance policy and is more athletic than most of the centers left on the board, a good fit in the Broncos’ ZBS.

121. Houston Texans: Ronnell Lewis/OLB Oklahoma – Texans get good value here as Lewis is likely to be off the board before this for the actual draft. Connor Barwin and Brooks Reed did an excellent job in Mario Williams’ absence but it’s too difficult to pass up on a rusher like Lewis. He had 13 TFL and 5.5 sacks his senior year and showed his strength at the Combine after putting up 36 reps on the bench press.

122. New Orleans Saints: Jayron Hosley/CB Virginia Tech – The Saints desperately need a ballhawking cornerback after turning in just nine interceptions last year, a major reason for their defensive deficiencies. Enter Hosley, who had 12 picks in his last two years with the Hokies. He also offers return value on punts.

123. Green Bay Packers: Cyrus Gray/RB Texas A&M – While the offense is still going to revolve around Aaron Rodgers and the passing game, and rightfully so, the team could use another back after Ryan Grant was let go. James Starks is often in the trainer’s room, Brandon Jackson never turned out to be the player he was hoped to be, and Brandon Saine’s ceiling is limited. Gray is a one cut runner who doesn’t lose much speed laterally to go along with good hands out of the backfield. He had over 100 receptions with the Aggies. Additionally, he also got work as a return man early in his career.

124. Buffalo Bills: Asa Jackson/CB Cal Poly – The Bills get some depth at corner. Terrence McGee is coming off patella tendon surgery. Jackson is a small school sleeper who was a four starter in college, recording 31 breakups and 8 INTs in his career.

Chidi29
04-10-2012, 12:07 PM
Round 4 (cont.)

125. San Francisco 49ers: Matt Reynolds/OG BYU – Mike Iupati has been a monster at left guard but the team could use help on the other side. I’m not a big fan of Reynolds, he is a limited athlete that is one the ground way too much, but he’s a blue-collar kid who does a pretty good job when asked to work in a phone booth.

126. New England Patriots: Brandon Taylor/SS LSU – Taylor obviously has a great pedigree and will be insurance should Patrick Chung get hurt again. Chung is also entering the last year of his contract. Taylor recorded 33 starts for the Tigers and was a part of the some of the best defenses in college football in recent memory.

127. New York Giants: Audie Cole/MLB North Carolina St – The team has been trying to find a middle linebacker since last season after they were battered with injuries. Chase Blackburn and Jonathan Goff are reportedly unlikely to return. Cole was moved to MIKE his senior year and offers really good size at 6’4 246. He racked up 108 tackles this past season.

128. Minnesota Vikings: Dwight Bentley/CB Louisiana-Lafayette – The fact the team took Morris Claiborne doesn’t mean the team can’t pick another cornerback. And when talking about a defense that allowed 251 yards through the air and generated just eight interceptions, it would be idiotic not to grab another. Bentley was a four year starter with the Rajun Cajuns.

129. Oakland Raiders: Sean Spence/OLB Miami (FL) – It’s a good thing the Raiders have compensation picks considering those have been the only two picks of their draft so far. The biggest knock against Spence is size, he’s under 6 foot, but he was productive at the “U” with nearly 220 tackles his final two years. 31 of those went for losses. Philip Wheeler was just signed to play the SAM but isn’t that reliable of an option.

130. Baltimore Ravens: Ronnie Hillman/RB San Diego St – The Ravens try to land another Ray Rice type. Hillman is built low to the ground at 5’8 200 and was extremely productive as a two year starter for the Aztecs. John Harbaugh has expressed the desire to grab another running back after Ricky Williams’ retirement.

131. New York Giants: Ryan Broyles/WR Oklahoma – The Giants take a calculated risk/reward decision in selecting Broyles. The Sooner would have been a much higher pick before tearing his ACL in November and will work out for scouts on April 12th, showing quick recovery time. It’s not certain how soon he’ll be game-ready but even if he is limited/misses his first year, his speed and after the catch ability makes him a valuable player to stash away for a little while after losing Mario Manningham. It may also light a fire under the disappointing Ramses Barden.

132. Green Bay Packers: Evan Rodriguez/TE Temple – An H-Back type that can be used in a lot of different areas. That’s perfect for a team like Green Bay that shows as wide variety of offensive sets as anyone and loves to utilize their move tight ends like Jermichael Finley and Andrew Quarless. Rodriguez also has seen time on special teams.

133. Green Bay Packers: Chandler Harnish/QB Northern Illinois – Green Bay is looking for another Matt Flynn. Harnish isn’t your prototypical quarterback but what he lacks in size he more than makes up for in grit and intangibles. He led the Huskies to an 11-3 record and has just under 12,000 total yards of offense to his name. He’ll compete with Graham Harrell for the backup gig.

134. Minnesota Vikings: Trevor Robinson/OG Notre Dame – Guard is a big need for the Vikes after losing Steve Hutchinson but with a team that has so many needs, it’s tough to correct everything in one draft. Robinson is flying very much under the radar but started 40 games for the Irish including getting time as a freshman. He is just one of five offensive linemen to start as a freshman for the Irish since 1972. That has to mean something. And when watching him on tape, while he isn’t a mauler, he does a nice job mirroring in pass protection and has experience on trap blocks.

135. Dallas Cowboys: David Paulson/TE Oregon – The Cowboys continue to load up on skill positions. Paulson fills out his 6’3 frame pretty well at 246 and while he’ll likely need refinement as a blocker coming out of the Oregon spread, there’s some tools to work with. He had ten touchdowns the past two seasons. John Phillips is a strong blocker but isn’t much of a receiver and he Martellus Bennett experience (dibs on the band name) finally ended.

Chidi29
04-10-2012, 12:12 PM
Round 5

136. Indianapolis Colts: Dwight Jones/WR North Carolina – The team gives itself a weapon for Andrew Luck to throw to. Because outside of Reggie Wayne, there isn’t much on the shelf. Anthony Gonzalez has chronically been injured and the team lost or let go Pierre Garcon, Dallas Clark, and Jacob Tamme. It’s unfortunate for Luck the team had so many other needs. Jones has been very successful the past two years at North Carolina with over 2000 yards receiving and finding the end zone 16 times. He’ll attempt to carry that over to the NFL the way Hakeem Nicks has done.

137. Denver Broncos: Chris Greenwood/CB Albion – Greenwood to Denver, eh? The Canada product, though it could be argued against lesser competition, racked up an impressive 13 interceptions is his college career. Like the old adage goes, you can never have enough cornerbacks even with a starting duo of Champ Bailey and Andre Goodman.

138. Minnesota Vikings: James Michael-Johnson/LB Nevada – This is really good value for Minnesota and likely lower where Michael-Johnson will actually go. The Wolfpack product may not be the athlete Dontay Moch was but he is definitely possesses top notch athleticism. He’s versatile to play inside or out, making the switch to MIKE his junior season. The Vikings aren’t in dire need of a starting linebacker but the depth and special teams bodies would be a nice pickup.

139. Cleveland Browns: Justin Bethel/FS Presbyterian - TJ Ward flourished at strong safety when healthy last year and while there are some possibilities at free on the roster already, there isn’t anyone who has cemented a starting spot. Recently, there have been more talks about moving Sheldon Brown to safety. Bethel shows good range with soft hands who is willing to play the run. He’s also a special teams force with an amazing nine blocked kicks in his career.

140. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Demario Davis/OLB Arkansas St – The team struck out on acquiring Curtis Lofton who signed with the Saints. Aside from Mason Foster, who struggled as a rookie last season, there isn’t much promise at linebacker. Davis is highly athletic, running a 4.61 and posting a 38 inch vert at the Combine.

141. Washington Redskins: Ron Brooks/CB LSU – Brooks may have been “just” the nickelback on the Tigers, but it’s understandable when you’re competing against Morris Claiborne and Tyrann Mathieu. Brooks has played in 52 games and will give the Redskins’ some extra depth at cornerback. Cedric Griffin signed just a one year deal and DeAngelo Hall has always been an overrated player.

142. Jacksonville Jaguars: Travis Lewis/MLB Oklahoma – The Jags have done a good job of filling their needs, making this a difficult decision. Lewis is a tough cookie who came back from a broken foot quicker than anyone expected. Daryl Smith will hit free agency after this season. All but one player selected so far in the fifth round has been on the defensive side of the ball.

143. Carolina Panthers: Gerrell Robinson/WR Arizona St – Robinson is a kid I never solely focused on but always wanted to because of his knack to make plays when I observed Brock Osweiler. Robinson exploded his senior year to the tune of nearly 19 yards per catch and seven touchdowns. Steve Smith was revived last season but the team doesn’t have much else at wide receiver.

144. Buffalo Bills: Rokevious Watkins/OG South Carolina – Watkins is a guy I don’t know much about but am becoming more excited about the more I learn. A huge body at 6’4 338, Watkins has played right guard and both tackle spots. He’ll likely be a guard at the next level but the Bills can use help inside and out, even after drafting Mike Adams.

145. Miami Dolphins: Chase Ford/TE Miami (FL) – The Dolphins are looking for the next Jimmy Graham. Ford wasn’t productive but is an interesting mold at 6’6 245. Anthony Fasano is average at best in every facet and the Dolphins need to bring in as many weapons as they can.

146. Kansas City Chiefs: Kheeston Randall/DE Texas – Randall made 35 starts for Mack Brown’s Longhorns at defensive tackle but he’ll kick out to end in the Chiefs’ 3-4. He’s a natural fit at 6’5 300. Randall will give the team depth behind Glenn Dorsey and Tyson Jackson.

147. Buffalo Bills: AJ Jenkins/WR Illinois – Playing a little bit of the BPA game in the fifth round with Jenkins. Yes, the Bills did take Kendall Wright but it doesn’t preclude them from taking another wideout in the later rounds. Jenkins had nearly 1300 yards on 90 catches his senior season.

148. Oakland Raiders: John Cullen/OT Utah – The team adds a piece to its new zone blocking scheme. Joseph Barksdale was drafted last season but profiles a man scheme and with a new regime, he could be expendable. Cullen is undersized but that isn’t a major issue in a ZBS. He’s athletic who has shown the ability to cut block.

149. San Diego Chargers: Tony Bergstorm/OT Utah – Something you don’t see very often, two Utah offensive tackles going back-to-back. Marcus McNeil’s back problems forced the team to cut ties with him and although they do seem to have faith in Jared Gaither, the team is still shaky at tackle. Bergstorm started 39 games for the Utes.

150. Chicago Bears: Jake Bequette/DE Arkansas – The team showed a lot of interest in Mario Williams though obviously could not land him. Granted, they did draft Corey Wooten and have Chauncey Davis on the roster but they’re still looking for a top pass rusher opposite Julius Peppers. Bequette is an above average athlete at 284 and had ten sacks his senior season.

151. Arizona Cardinals: Jeff Fuller/WR Texas A&M – Here’s a prospect I’m really mixed on. Most people will agree his draft stock took a big tumble his senior season and that is evident by the fifth round slot. But he still may be able to rekindle what he did in past years. He’s a big body at 6’4 who can pluck the ball at its highest point and I’ve seen him be able to sink his hips and create separation out of his breaks. On the other hand, there are times where he can’t get away from the corner and he’s had some ugly drops. A 50/50 shot but one worth taking.

152. Dallas Cowboys: Rishaw Johnson/OG Cal (PA) – Safety is a possibility here as well but there were better guard prospects than safeties. Johnson has a checkered past, he was suspended three times at Ole Miss before being kicked off the team and finding a home with the Vulcans, but there is something to work with here. He fills out his frame well and has a quality first punch in the run game. Pass protection, however, is an issue that needs to be improved. The team could use an extra body at guard after having a tough time at the position last year where 7th rounder Bill Nagy ended up starting Week One.

153. Philadelphia Eagles: Matt Daniels/SS Duke – Kurt Coleman and Jaiquawn Jarrett are in the mix at safety though neither really cemented themself for the starting gig. Daniels led the Blue Devils with 126 tackles and 14 breakups last year. He’ll likely begin his career making a name for himself on kick and punt coverage.

154. New York Jets: Kevin Koger/TE Michigan – The team wants to return to a ground and pound attack making the blocking specialist Koger a good compliment to the pass catching Dustin Keller. Koger isn’t going to be a sharp route runner who is going to create separation but a nasty run blocker who seems to take pride in it. This was the Jets’ first pick since #77 back in the third round.

155. Tennessee Titans: Don Barclay/OG West Virginia – I am mixed on Barclay’s future prospects. He is more athletic than you’d expect but his technique is pretty sloppy. He doesn’t have a smooth kickslide and gets grabby in pass protection. Kicking him inside to guard makes the most sense. LeRoy Harris is entering the final year of his contract. Barclay can take time to work on his technique and attempt to compete for a starting role next season.

156. Cincinnati Bengals: Brian Linthicum/TE Michigan St – Not a lot of needs left for the Bengals but there isn’t anybody behind Jermaine Gresham. Linthicum isn’t going to be the next Aaron Hernandez but was a reliable receiver for Sparty with 31 catches his senior season.

157. Atlanta Falcons: Ben Jones/C Georgia – Todd McClure doesn’t have much time left in his career prompting the Falcons to look for a replacement. Jones is taken with the team’s third pick of the draft. He started 49 games for the Bulldogs and while he does have good upper body strength, he’s a limited athlete he is on the ground more than you’d like.

158. Detroit Lions: Vic Ballard/RB Mississippi St – The team may take a running back even higher come draft day after the new of two drug busts against Mikel LeShoure. The team is looking for a running back that has shouldered the load and Ballard is one of the few guys left that fit that bill with just under 200 attempts in each of his two seasons with Mississippi St. He’s well built at 5’10 219 and will hopefully be remembered for more than wiping out running the 40 at the Combine.

159. Pittsburgh Steelers: Matt Conrath/DE Virginia – The 6’7 280 Conrath played DT for the Cavilers but he’ll kick out to DE and play the five technique for the Steelers. He isn’t a household name but excelled in his four years, starting all of them and was a first-team All-ACC selection his senior year after racking up 66 total tackles with 12 going for losses. Conrath used his height to block five kicks in his career, including three alone in 2011. Pittsburgh released Aaron Smith in the offseason, prompting the selection of an end.

160. Cleveland Browns: Jarius Wright/WR Arkansas – Another receiver for the Browns. Wright Is the opposite of Michael Floyd. At under 5’10, he isn’t much to look at but he’s definitely a vertical threat. Wright never averaged less than 16.6 yards per catch in any of his four seasons. His best year came in 2011 recording over 1100 yards and scoring 12 times.

161. Houston Texans: Brandon Hardin/FS Oregon – Hardin was a cornerback in college but at 6’2 216, he probably doesn’t have the fluidity in his hips to stay there. He’ll back up Daniel Manning at free safety and give the team extra depth in the secondary.

162. New Orleans Saints: Jaye Howard/DT Florida – The Saints get an infusion of youth along the interior defensive line after both Shaun Rogers and Aubrayo Franklin were allowed to walk. Howard had 65 tackles and 5.5 sacks for the Gators during his senior year.

163. Green Bay Packers: Kelvin Beachum/OG SMU – A four year starter at left tackle, Beachum is probably too short and light to stay there meaning he’ll kick inside to guard. He’ll be a good fit for the Packers’ zone blocking scheme and the team could use help at guard after Jason Spitz and Daryn Colledge have been disappointments in recent years. Neither are still on the team.

164. Baltimore Ravens: Keith Tandy/FS West Virginia – Tandy played cornerback at WVU but could be the heir apparent to Ed Reed. In three years on defense, Tandy intercepted 13 passes and broke up 24 others. He can stay at corner as well so he gives the team a versatile piece in the secondary.

165. San Francisco 49ers: LaMichael James/RB Oregon – Not a need position after Brandon Jacobs was signed but James is good value. I don’t trust Jacobs’ already broken knees to hold up much longer anyway. James may be best remembered for his punch but he’s an explosive, momentum-changing player.

166. Cincinnati Bengals: Emmanuel Acho/MLB Texas – Seven picks in five rounds prior to this one sealed up a lot of holes in the team so the team goes BPA in Acho. He had a monster senior year for the Longhorns with over 100 tackles and 19 for losses. He won’t snag the starting job but has the special teams experience, playing there his first three years, will allow him to contribute right away. He is the younger brother of Sam Acho who has drafted by the Cardinals last year.

167. New York Giants: Levy Adcock/OT Oklahoma St – Kareem McKenzie was not re-signed by the team so the Giants add another tackle into the mix. Adcock has a lot of room to grow after only playing along the offensive line for two years with the Cowboys. He’s a big body at 6’5 320.

168. Oakland Raiders: Shaun Prater/CB Iowa – The team adds a cornerback after a salary cap purging forced the team to release Stanford Routt. Prater was a three year starter for the Hawkeyes and was always around the ball with at least 40 tackles in all three years.

169. Baltimore Ravens: Nick Foles/QB Arizona – The team will likely eventually reach a long-term deal with Joe Flacco but there are no guarantees in the NFL. Either way, the team doesn’t have much behind him. Foles’ stock slipped but he’s a 6’5 kid with a big arm. However, his accuracy is hit and miss and he must be more consistent overall.

170. Indianapolis Colts: Drake Dunsmore/TE Northwestern – The team has very little at tight end after Dallas Clark and Jacob Tamme’s depature. The first Wildcat to be selected mid-way through the 5th round, Dunsmore had a successful career recording nearly 1600 yards and 14 TDs.

Chidi29
04-10-2012, 12:15 PM
Round 6

171. St. Louis Rams: Donnie Fletcher/CB Boston College – The Rams’ take the Eagles alum with their first pick in the past 75 selections. The team is essentially getting a new group of cornerbacks based on the high number of ones that were injured last season but it never hurts to add one more. Flethcer has a ton of experience on defense and good size at 6’1 195.

172. Philadelphia Eagles: Elijah Davis/CB Shepard – The first player off my “small school prospects” list. The Eagles like their cornerbacks to have ball-hawking abilities though hopefully Davis comes with less issues than Asante Samuel, who could soon be dealt. Davis is small at 5’8 182 but he led a very successful Shepard team with 6 INTs taking four of those to the house.

173. Washington Redskins: Jerry Franklin/ILB Arkansas – The Redskins double up at inside linebacker after taking Bobby Wagner way back in the second. The team does want London Fletcher back but it remains to be seen if their salary cap situation will let that happen. Franklin had an amazing 50 starts with the Razorback putting up 369 tackles and 5 interceptions in his career.

174. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Austin Davis/QB Southern Mississippi – The Bucs draft the man who broke Brett Favre’s records. Davis is also a threat with his feet, scoring 25 times with his feet in his career. Josh Freeman is still definitely “the guy” but he struggled last year and the team lost Josh Johnson to the 49ers.

175. Minnesota Vikings: Bobby Rainey/RB Western Kentucky – Although he is recovering well, it’s not known when Adrian Peterson will return to the lineup. That leaves Toby Gerhart as the lone wolf in the backfield. Rainey isn’t getting much publicity playing for a small-named team like the Hilltoppers, though they are Division 1, but had a great career. He was a workhorse his junior and senior seasons recording over 300 carries in each. Last year, he fell five yards shy of rushing for 1700 yards. He rushed for 85 yards against LSU’s vaunted defense in 2011 and 155 against Nebraska in 2010. He also has 65 receptions his past two years.

176. Jacksonville Jaguars: Julian Miller/DE West Virginia – It’s been awhile since there’s been an actual edge rusher to come off the board. Miller is a kid I like and is being overshadowed by Bruce Irvin and his potential. Miller recorded 9 sacks in both his sophomore and junior years at end. He was kicked inside to tackle in 2011 and still picked up six sacks to go along with 11 TFL. The Mountaineer has career totals of 42.5 TFL and 27.5 sacks. The Jags should be very happy they were able to snag him and add another pass rusher.

177. Arizona Cardinals: Shawn Loiseau/ILB Merrimack – A D-II tackling machine, Loiseau has one of the most interesting stories of the draft. Charged with assault and battery after defending himself in a fight, in which Loiseau was hit with a pipe that required 28 stitches, that landed his attacker in a coma, he landed up at tiny Merrimack in Massachusetts. The chargers were ultimately dropped but Loiseau was off the radar. He made a name for himself by being the most physical player on the field, at one point hitting a long-snapper until he was “crying”. He has recorded no less than 120 tackles in each of the past three years and was one of the few D-II players to get an invitation to the Combine. Loiseau is looking to become the first player from Merrimack drafted and has an excellent shot of doing just that.

178. Buffalo Bills: Quentin Saulsberry /OG Mississippi St – The third offensive lineman drafted by Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey but as I’ve said, they need a lot of help on the line for an otherwise very talented team. Saulsberry is an extremely versatile player who has played four positions with getting the most duty at right tackle, left guard, and center. Versatile lineman means you can dress less on gameday, saving room for a couple extra special teamers.

179. New Orleans Saints: TJ Graham/WR NC State – The team did a good job of keeping Marques Colston but unfortunately were not able to keep Robert Meachem. Graham had a solid senior season and boasts a ton of return value in either phase. Even though the job is held by Darren Sproles, it’s nice having an insurance plan.

180. Carolina Panthers: Miles Burris/OLB San Diego St – Burris becomes an insurance policy to Thomas Davis, who has torn his ACL three times in his career. The Aztec had 37.5 TFL and 17.5 sacks in his past two years.

181. Seattle Seahawks: Greg Childs/WR Arkansas – Playing a little bit of the value game here with Childs. He didn’t have a productive senior year likely to being slowed by a torn patellar tendon suffered later in his junior season. But he’s 6’3 and Seattle could have a nice trio of Sidney Rice, Childs, Doug Baldwin in the slot, and Fleener at tight end in a few years.

182. Kansas City Chiefs: Patrick Witt/QB Yale – This is a make or break year for Matt Cassel with a healthy supporting cast. A three year starter, Witt looks to become the next Ryan Fitzpatrick. He owns a career 60.3% completion rate that improved each year.

183. San Diego Chargers: Adrian Hamilton/OLB Prairie View A&M – A little known prospect who lit up the stat sheets his senior year. Hamilton had 24 TFL and a mind-boggling 22 sacks. He’s also got decent size at 6’3 255. He’ll give the Chargers another body off the edge in their 3-4.

184. Chicago Bears: Rishard Matthews/WR Nevada – The team did help answer its major concerns at wide receiver by acquiring Brandon Marshall from Miami. But with Johnny Knox dealing with a back injury and the team seemingly having more return men than actual receivers at the position, they could add another. Matthews does offer punt return ability but he made his name at receiver catching 91 passes for over 1300 yards in 2011.

185. Arizona Cardinals: Chas Alecxih/DE Pittsburgh – The team adds depth along the front three in case Calais Campbell and the team are unable to reach an agreement next year. Alecxih has quietly had a strong past two seasons for the Panthers racking up 24.5 TFL and 14 sacks.

186. Dallas Cowboys: Phillip Thomas/FS Syracuse – A three year starter for the Orange, Thomas exploded last year for six interceptions. He’ll be another body in the mix at free safety, where the team still hasn’t found an answer. The secondary is the biggest question mark on paper for the team entering 2012.

187. New York Jets: Josh Oglesby/OT Wisconsin – Oglesby is an imposing force at 6’7 338 and Wisconsin lineman always have a great reputation. The Jets’ right tackle situation is fluid with Wayne Hunter. I probably should have given the team a tackle higher than this though this is only their fifth pick.

188. Denver Broncos: Noah Keller/MLB Ohio – Keller is one of my personal favorites even though he won’t be drafted high. He’s an old-school linebacker who hates coming off the field, is a solid tackler, and is quick in read/react. DJ Williams is facing a suspension to kick off the 2012 year. Keep an eye out for Keller wherever he lands.

189. Oakland Raiders: Terrance Ganaway/RB Baylor – The Silver and Black look to replace Michael Bush who jumped ship to the Windy City. Ganaway goes 5’11 239 and averaged 6.2 a pop in Baylor’s explosive offense last season. He will need to become better in pass protection and hit the jugs machine; Ganaway caught just 12 passes in his career.

190. Tennessee Titans: Bradie Ewing/FB Wisconsin – The first lead blocker off the board, it’s obvious that it has become a dying breed. Chris Johnson and the Titans’ running game struggled last year and then-fullback Ahmard Hall has yet to be re-signed. Ewing has not carried the ball since his junior year but had 20 receptions for the Badgers in 2011.

191. Cincinnati Bengals: Tyrone Crawford/DE Boise St – Never a bad thing to add another pass rusher and the team may be able to kick him inside in the nickel. The Broncos’ run one of the more complex defenses in the NCAA helping the cut down on the learning curve. Crawford recorded 6.5 sacks his senior year.

192. Atlanta Falcons: Will Blackwell/OG LSU – A first team All-SEC selection in 2011, it’s surprising to see his name not floated around more often. He is undersized at 290, but has a 6’4 frame he can grow into. Blackwell stays low through contact and is smart in blitz pickup. Justin Blalock is locked in at LG but Blackwell can add competition on the right side.

193. Pittsburgh Steelers: Joe Long/OT Wayne St – A four year starter at left tackle with a whopping 49 starts under his belt, Jake Long’s brother becomes a Steeler. The Steelers will likely open the year with Marcus Gilbert and Willie Colon at tackle, but Colon’s ability to stay healthy for a whole season is questionable at best. Long needs to fill out his frame but has potential.

194. Philadelphia Eagles: Matt Veldman/TE North Dakota St – Brent Celek is good enough to be a starter but the team hasn’t had much luck finding someone behind him. Veldman goes 6’7 257 and was able to stay healthy last season, catching 26 passes for three trips to the end zone.

195. Houston Texans: Josh Leribeus/OG SMU – The team lost Mike Briesel to free agency and while Antoine Caldwell is expected to fill in, it doesn’t hurt to add another piece to the puzzle. Leribeus is one of the more athletic interior lineman left, putting on a solid performance at the Combine. Some have speculated the former Mustang could go as high as the third round.

196. Miami Dolphins: Chris Galippo/LB USC – Galippo wasn’t that productive in his career with just 119 career tackles but he has played middle and weakside linebacker extensively. That versatility will appeal to a team running a hybrid defense. The Trojan picked off 6 passes in his career.

197. Green Bay Packers: Trevin Wade/CB Arizona – The Packers’ top three corners are set, though there will be even more talk about Charles Woodson moving to safety if Nick Collins does not return, but being four deep is important today. Wade picked off 12 passes in four years for the Wildcats and had 13 breakups his senior year. Dom Capers is happy to see the first defensive player picked for Green Bay since the third round.

198. Baltimore Ravens: Coty Sensabaugh/CB Clemson – The team lacks depth at cornerback behind Lardarius Webb and Jimmy Smith. Sensabaugh didn’t put up big numbers but logged over 900 snaps his senior season.

199. San Francisco 49ers: Oliver Vernon/OLB Miami (FL) – The 49ers add a pass rusher here. Vernon surprised many by coming out a year early after putting up just 3.5 TFL and 1.5 sacks in six games. He’ll try to rekindle a junior year that was much better that saw him record 10.5 TFL and six sacks.

200. Philadelphia Eagles: BJ Coleman/QB Chattanooga – The team has shown interest in some of the top QBs like Ryan Tannehill and Brandon Weeden and while that is probably a smokescreen for the most part, it could be a small indication in the team not having faith in Mike Kafka. At the very least, the team needs as many arms as they can get with Michael Vick at quarterback. You never know when he’ll get hurt. Coleman needs to improve on his 1:1 TD/INT ratio he put up his senior season.

201. New York Giants: Scott Solomon/DE Rice – The Giants like to stock the shelves with as many pass rushers as they can. Solomon had 24 sacks in his career including 8.5 sacks last season. The Giants were again in the top five in sacks last year and adding players like Solomon will keep them there.

202. New York Jets: Jonathan Massaquoi/OLB Troy – Jets getting good value with Massaquoi with the first compensation pick of the sixth round. In two years with Troy, he picked up 31 TFL and 10.5 sacks. He’s got good size at 6’2 264.

203. New York Jets: Aaron Henry/FS Wisconsin – The Jets are dangerously thin depth-wise at safety. Especially with the oft-injured Laron Landry on the team. Henry has good starting experience for the Badgers and has experience at safety and cornerback.

204. Cleveland Browns: Akiem Hicks/DT Regina – Cleveland is set at starting DT with Rubin and Taylor but depth never hurts. Plus, Hicks is good value in the back end of the sixth. The Browns know a thing or two about taking Canadian products after signing Joel Reinders after seeing him on Youtube.

205. Cleveland Browns: Cory Harkey/TE UCLA – The blocking specialist will be a good compliment to the ultra-athletic Evan Moore. Harkey has excellent size at 6’4 260 and 37 starts under his belt.

206. Indianapolis Colts: Micah Pellerin/CB Hampton – The team still has a seemingly endless amount of needs to fill even with the team on their seventh pick. Jerraud Powers is one starting corner but beyond him, it’s anybody’s guess. Pellerin had a successful career with the Pirates with 36 breakups and 7 interceptions.

207. Carolina Panthers: Joe Looney/OG Wake Forest – Looney was a three year starter for the Demon Deacons. The Panthers could use another body at guard as there isn’t much on the roster right now. Don’t be surprised to see them take one even higher than the last pick of the sixth round.

Chidi29
04-10-2012, 12:20 PM
Round 7

208. Indianapolis Colts: Kelcie McCray/SS Arkansas St – Bob Sanders and Melvin Bullitt have been too fragile at strong safety the past five years leading the team to release them both in back-to-back offseasons. McCray started three years and finished his career with 10 picks.

209. St. Louis Rams: Jeremy Jones/FS Wayne St – Jones has had a spectacular career at the D-II level as the Rams pick up their second safety of the draft. In 2011, Jones had 106 tackles and nine interceptions to give him 17 in his career. He’s undersized but worth taking a flier on in the seventh round.

210. Minnesota Vikings: Garth Gerhart/C Arizona St – If I had to be confident about getting one late round pick correct, this would probably be it. Garth is Toby Gerhart’s younger brother and the Vikings need someone behind John Sullivan. Gerhart started 35 games in his career and has played all interior positions.

211. Cleveland Browns: Chris Marve/MLB Vanderbilt – MIKE ‘backer certainly isn’t a need with the re-signing of D’Qwell Jackson, but Marve is one of the better and more experienced players left on the board. A four year starter for the Commodores, Marve was the leader of the team as a two-time captain with nearly 400 career tackles to his credit. He’ll try to carve out a niche on special teams.

212. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Conroy Black/CB Utah – The Bucs are one of the few teams that have yet to take a cornerback but join the party in the 7th round. Black has good size at 6’0 and as a starter last year picked off four passes. He is the third Utah player to be drafted.

213. Washington Redskins: Edwin Baker/RB Michigan St – It wouldn’t be a draft if Mike Shanahan avoided taking a running back in the late rounds. Baker is exactly the type Shanny looks for, a decisive, one-runner who doesn’t lose speed laterally. But Baker is very fumble-prone and has 8 ¼ inch hands. That’s tough to correct and if you’re a fumbling machine, it’s hard to see the field. Still, the running back crop isn’t that strong at this point.

214. Indianapolis Colts: Derek Dennis/OG Temple – The Colts need a lot of help along the interior after Ryan Diem’s retirement and losing Jeff Saturday to Green Bay. Dennis needs a coach to light a fire in his belly but he’s a strong phone booth blocker who has started everywhere on the line sans center.

215. Miami Dolphins: Sean Richardson/FS Vanderbilt – Another Vandy player is selected in the seventh. Richardson was a three year starter. The team is still lacking strong options at safety though it is likely that Reshad Jones will have one starting spot. Richardson goes 6’2 216.

216. Carolina Panthers: Duke Ihenacho/SS San Jose St – A run on safeties as Ihenacho is the fourth one to be picked in the round. A former linebacker, he made the conversion to strong safety at the start of the 2009 season and became one of the few bright spots on an otherwise irrelevant WAC team.

217. Buffalo Bills: Terrell Manning/OLB North Carolina St – Linebacker isn’t a need for the Bills but it isn’t uncommon to see a team take one to help out on special teams. Manning was a two year starter for the Wolfpack and showed some pass rushing ability with ten sacks during that span.

218. Kansas City Chiefs: Louis Baltazar/ILB Lewis & Clark – Having a little bit of fun in the seventh round, the Chiefs take little known Baltazar. He may have been from a small school but put up some huge numbers his senior year with 21.5 TFL and 8.5 sacks. Though the team did not draft him, they signed Andy Studebaker from Wheaton a few years ago and it panned out.

219. Detroit Lions: DeAngelo Tyson/DT Georgia – The Lions have one of the better defensive lines but took a slight hit after Nick Fairley’s arrest. Part of this selection is value, too. Tyson doesn’t have a lot of upside but a solid run stuffer coming from an SEC defense.

220. Chicago Bears: Moe Petrus/C UConn – The Bears only have Chris Spencer at center so Petrus becomes extra depth. He has extensive starting experience at center and left guard, where the Huskie originally started out at UConn.

221. Arizona Cardinals: George Bryan/TE North Carolina St – Pretty good value pick for Arizona. Bryan isn’t a vertical threat, never averaging more than 11 yards per catch, but he was a reliable target catching 126 passes for 17 touchdowns in his career. He’s got a big frame at 6’5 265 and will be a good compliment to Rob Housler who hopefully becomes more than just an athletic freak in pads.

222. Dallas Cowboys: Renard Williams/NT Eastern Washington –Williams isn’t a prototypical plugger at 6’2 300 but that isn’t what the team is looking for. He still attracted double-teams and showed pass rushing ability with 24.5 career sacks.

223. Minnesota Vikings: Trevor Guyton/DT California – Little bit of the value game here. Guyton had a strong senior campaign with 12 TFL and 5.5 sacks as the Vikings look to rebuild the Williams’ Wall.

224. Green Bay Packers: Devon Wylie/WR Fresno St – The Packers are always looking for new weapons. While they have a strong group right now, it never hurts to add another guy into the fold. Especially one like Wylie who made his mark on the Combine with a 4.39 40. That speed never really transferred into production with just a 12.8 average and one score his senior year.

225. Seattle Seahawks: Senio Kelemete/OG Washington – Seattle looks to beef up its interior late in the draft. Kelemete is semi decent athlete in that he can get to the second level but he has trouble engaging. He also has trouble getting his arms extended and is inconsistent overall.

226. San Diego Chargers: Markus Kuhn/DE North Carolina St – A five tech who may have only had one productive year, it was still a pretty good one. Kuhn had 45 tackles, 9.5 TFL, and 4.5 sacks in 2011. Luis Castillo signed just a one year deal and Jacques Cesaire is in the final year of his contract.

227. Tennessee Titans: Tashaun Gipson/CB Wyoming – Gipson was a beacon of consistency for Wyoming the past three seasons. He picked up three passes in each of the past three seasons to go with 95 tackles his senior season.

228. Jacksonville Jaguars: DaJohn Harris/DT USC – The Jags get depth behind Knighton and Tyson Alualu. Harris is an athletic 306 pounder who is hoping to have a better pro career than college. This is the first tackle and third defensive lineman Jacksonville selected in the draft.

229. Atlanta Falcons: Najee Goode/MLB West Virginia – The Falcons get a middle linebacker and a name that wins the award for “Most Vowels”. Goode had a strong senior campaign with 87 tackles and 14 TFL. He is, however, undersized at 6’0.

230. Detroit Lions: Dale Moss/WR South Dakota St – A man that made noise at his Pro Day, Moss is a project but has a lot of upside. A basketball player for three years, Moss put on pads his senior year and exploded to the tune of 949 yards on 61 catches for nine scores. At 6’4 210 and running a 4.45 at his Pro Day, the triangle numbers get him on the map.

231. Pittsburgh Steelers: Tysyn Hartman/FS Kansas St – A 46 game starter, four-time All-Academic Big 12, two-time captain, and active in the community, Hartman seems to have as much experience and character you can ask for. He also has the production on the field to back that up with 69 tackles and three picks his senior year. Ryan Mundy is currently the backup safety at both spots.

232. New York Jets: Andrew Datko/OT Florida St – The Jets take a flier on Datko. Datko has talent and is definitely an athlete but has dealt with chronic shoulder injuries that have led to multiple surgeries. It makes him a risky proposition and reason why he has fallen so far.

233. Houston Texans: Hebron Fangupu/NT BYU – Fangupu might not be the athletic one gapper the team has tended to look at for nose tackle but the value is pretty strong here. The Cougar goes 6’1 323 and had 6 TFL last year.

234. New Orleans Saints: Ken Plue/OG Purdue – The Saints take a flier on big ‘ol Ken Plue who is a listed 6’7 366. He was a right tackle for the Boilermakers but at that size, he’s going to kick inside at the next level.

235. Green Bay Packers: Brandon Lindsey/OLB Pittsburgh – The Packers take another pass rusher, hoping to throw as much as they can on the wall and see what sticks. Lindsey will have to convert to playing with his hand up in the NFL but has 18.5 sacks the past two years.

236. Baltimore Ravens: Bryce Harris/OT Fresno St – Bryant McKinnie will be back for 2012 but it seems unlikely he’ll be around any longer than that. Harris started 39 games for the Bulldogs but will need to add weight to his 6’6 frame. He’s listed at *just* 300 pounds.

237. San Francisco 49ers: Trenton Robinson/FS Michigan St – Robinson has excellent starting experience with 32 games and 9 interceptions under his belt, including eight total his junior and senior years. He becomes insurance to Dashon Goldson who received the franchise tag.

238. Kansas City Chiefs: Bryce Brown/RB Kansas St – Oh how the mighty have fallen. A top recruit coming out of high school, only behind Trent Richardson at running back, Brown only received two carries after his freshman year at Tennessee. Still, the talent may hidden somewhere and Brown is a sleeper favorite of draft analysts like Wes Bunting of National Football Post. With Jamaal Charles and newly signed Peyton Hillis, the Chiefs roll the dice.

239. New York Giants: Cameron Chism/CB Maryland – Giants add a cornerback after losing Aaron Ross to Jacksonville in free agency. Chism started 32 games with 16 career breakups and 7 interceptions.

240. Pittsburgh Steelers: Josh Chichester/TE Louisville – A freak at 6’7 240, he put up decent numbers with the Cardinals throughout his career. This includes 393 yards and two scores in 2011. Weslye Saunders is suspended for the first four games of next season.

241. Green Bay Packers: Grant Garner/C Oklahoma St – The team’s 11th pick as I’ve run out of ideas. Garner was a two year starter for the Cowboys. Jeff Saturday won’t be around too long for Green Bay.

242. New York Jets: Johnny Tivao/NT Texas A&M Kingsville – He was a player I found mid-way through the college football season and always kept in the back of my head. Similar to Anthony Gray from last year, Tiavo is under six foot yet weighs in at 330. He also played a true zero tech in college. He was raised in Compton, managed to stay away from the negative influences, and made something out of himself.

243. Green Bay Packers: Travian Robertson/DE South Carolina – Green Bay snags another five tech. Robertson has 91 tackles and 18 TFL in his last two years playing against SEC competition.

244. New York Jets: Bryce Robertson/CB Bucknell – Round and round we go between the Packers and Jets. Someone needed to shuffle the deck better. Robertson is a small school kid but a four year starter who intercepted an impressive 13 passes in 2011.

245. Cleveland Browns: Jack Crawford/DE Penn St – A recent drug suspicion that is likely false shouldn’t hurt his stock but it wasn’t too high to begin with. He has interesting size at 6’5 274 but the production never really matched up. Only once did he have more than 5.5 sacks in a season.

246. Pittsburgh Steelers: Greg Zuerlein/K Missouri Western St – The second sub Division I player the team has taken. I’m not in the “anti Shaun Suisham” but can see the merit of adding competition. Zuerlein led the NCAA with a 95% conversion rate, 23/24. He hit nine field goals of 50 or more in 2011, including two from 58.

247. Cleveland Browns: Russell Wilson/QB Wisconsin – Wilson was highly productive his senior year with the Badgers and looked good at the Senior Bowl, but his sub-5’11 frame makes success a lofty goal. The Browns stick with Colt McCoy for one more year but Wilson can battle for the #3 spot and is a good fit in the West Coast.

248. Pittsburgh Steelers: Jamie Blatnick/OLB Oklahoma St – It wouldn’t be a true Steelers draft if they didn’t take an edge rusher. Blatnick came on strong his senior year posting 13.5 TFL and 8 sacks for the Cowboys.

249. Atlanta Falcons: Rashaad Carter/WR Tusculum – Atlanta takes the unknown in Carter. He posted big numbers his past two years with over 2000 yards and 16 touchdowns combined. He’ll attempt to snag the #4 or #5 spot behind Roddy White, Julio Jones, and Harry Douglas.

250. San Diego Chargers: Asa Chapman/NT Liberty – Chapman is a listed 380 who was actually pretty productive at Liberty. He picked up 35 tackles in his senior year for the team. The Chargers get an extra body, and a big one at that, to add to their defensive line.

251. Buffalo Bills: Roderick Gladney/OG Jackson St – I know this is the fourth offensive lineman the team has taken but the similarities based on what happened in the 7th round last year are too good for me not to make Gladney a Bill. Last year, the team drafted Michael Jasper from tiny Bethel College who weighed as much as 445 pounds before getting his weight down to 400 and eventually 375. Gladney’s real weight is not known. The school lists him at a modest 360 and when he attended the HBCU All-Star game, he was listed as “400+” on the weigh ins. And no, that’s not a typo. The Bills are going to have to expand their locker room.

252. St. Louis Rams: Shawn Powell/P Florida St – The first punter off the board with the next to last pick in the draft. The Rams currently only have Tom Malone on their roster who has yet to have a regular season punt. Powell averaged a booming 47 yards per punt last season. But no one will be as good as Bobby Cowan, the Idaho kid who will be coming out next year.

253. Indianapolis Colts: LaVon Brazill/WR Ohio – Congrats to Mr. Brazill for being this installment’s Mr. Irrelevant! The Colts add another pass catcher to the group. The Bobcat averaged 15.5 yards per catch and found the end zone 11 times in his senior season. The team hopes he’ll find success the way Jim Finn and Ryan Succop have.

Chidi29
04-10-2012, 12:24 PM
I'll post more detailed info/explanations on the Steelers' picks later.

suitanim
04-10-2012, 12:30 PM
Wow! That's got to be a lot of work! Thanks for putting that out there...

I just have a couple comments. No QB for the Steelers?

Also, I HOPE TY Hilton falls to us...there's not THAT big of a difference between 107 and 119.

One last thing (since i don't follow this as closely as others, I can only comment on what I know). I think the Browns will take Mercilus at #37 instead of Perry. I know they've been looking at him, and there was even some talk of them reaching for him at #22. He's from Akron, and they like taking local talent.

Chidi29
04-10-2012, 12:43 PM
Wow! That's got to be a lot of work! Thanks for putting that out there...

I just have a couple comments. No QB for the Steelers?

Also, I HOPE TY Hilton falls to us...there's not THAT big of a difference between 107 and 119.

One last thing (since i don't follow this as closely as others, I can only comment on what I know). I think the Browns will take Mercilus at #37 instead of Perry. I know they've been looking at him, and there was even some talk of them reaching for him at #22. He's from Akron, and they like taking local talent.

I've never been a big fan of taking a QB as a developmental, grooming type. I think that's a bit overstated. I'd rather just roll with the veteran(s). But it's possible. I know Tomlin has made mention of it. Same with RB.

Mercilius is a strong possibiilty. Especially since Floyd probably won't be there at 22 anymore. I'm not just a fan of him so he got bumped down in favor of a couple other guys. I know the production was off the charts, 9 FF is nothing to sneeze at, but to me, he's just an average pass rusher who routinely gets washed out against the run.

Chidi29
04-10-2012, 12:48 PM
And to make it a little easier to see for those who are just looking for Steelers' picks, here they are.

24. Pittsburgh Steelers: Dont’a Hightower/ILB Alabama – The popular pick for Pittsburgh. He may only be a two down thumper but is extremely competent in that role. He’s a big kid who can wrap up as well as deliver a big hit. He also sheds blocks well, important for an ILB. Hightower can compete with Larry Foote for a starting job right away.

56. Pittsburgh Steelers: Brandon Brooks/OG Miami (OH) – Another player that has been rocketing up draft boards after strong showings in the East/West Shrine Game and his Pro Day. He was a snub at the Combine but ran a 4.98 and did 36 reps on the bench press. The team has shown interest in him attending his Pro Day and made out pretty well with the last player they picked from the school. The Steelers have a hole at LG following Chris Kemoeatu’s release.

86. Pittsburgh Steelers: Mike Martin/NT Michigan – Martin may not have the girth of your typical nose tackle but he sure plays like one. He’s a throwback kid who works hard on every play and has built in leverage at 6’1. A player no longer has to be 330 pounds to get a look at nose tackle. A wrestling champion in high school, captain of the Wolverines his senior year, and 37 starts under his belt, Martin will be the heir to Casey Hampton.

119. Pittsburgh Steelers: Marvin Jones/WR California – A real sleeper in my book and one of the best guys I had left on the board. Jones never put up eye-popping numbers in part to playing in an anemic Golden Bears’ offense but is a well put together receiver with soft hands who’s a better YAC guy that given credit for. The team has its own “Big Three” but won’t have much else if Jerricho Cotchery signs elsewhere.

159. Pittsburgh Steelers: Matt Conrath/DE Virginia – The 6’7 280 Conrath played DT for the Cavilers but he’ll kick out to DE and play the five technique for the Steelers. He isn’t a household name but excelled in his four years, starting all of them and was a first-team All-ACC selection his senior year after racking up 66 total tackles with 12 going for losses. Conrath used his height to block five kicks in his career, including three alone in 2011. Pittsburgh released Aaron Smith in the offseason, prompting the selection of an end.

193. Pittsburgh Steelers: Joe Long/OT Wayne St – A four year starter at left tackle with a whopping 49 starts under his belt, Jake Long’s brother becomes a Steeler. The Steelers will likely open the year with Marcus Gilbert and Willie Colon at tackle, but Colon’s ability to stay healthy for a whole season is questionable at best. Long needs to fill out his frame but has potential.

231. Pittsburgh Steelers: Tysyn Hartman/FS Kansas St – A 46 game starter, four-time All-Academic Big 12, two-time captain, and active in the community, Hartman seems to have as much experience and character you can ask for. He also has the production on the field to back that up with 69 tackles and three picks his senior year. Ryan Mundy is currently the backup safety at both spots.

240. Pittsburgh Steelers: Josh Chichester/TE Louisville – A freak at 6’7 240, he put up decent numbers with the Cardinals throughout his career. This includes 393 yards and two scores in 2011. Weslye Saunders is suspended for the first four games of next season.

246. Pittsburgh Steelers: Greg Zuerlein/K Missouri Western St – The second sub Division I player the team has taken. I’m not in the “anti Shaun Suisham” but can see the merit of adding competition. Zuerlein led the NCAA with a 95% conversion rate, 23/24. He hit nine field goals of 50 or more in 2011, including two from 58.

248. Pittsburgh Steelers: Jamie Blatnick/OLB Oklahoma St – It wouldn’t be a true Steelers draft if they didn’t take an edge rusher. Blatnick came on strong his senior year posting 13.5 TFL and 8 sacks for the Cowboys.

steelerdude15
04-10-2012, 12:50 PM
This is insane! Kudos on the great work and if this how the draft would work out, I'd be okay with that.

Steeltreal
04-10-2012, 01:26 PM
Marvin Jones stock might be higher if it wasn't for his QB Maynard's inability to use all of the field. The guy only rolled one way, Left, all season and constantly favored targeting his brother Keenan Allen.

I watched Chichester in at least 5 games the past 2 seasons and he is just a tall body , doesn't go up and snag the ball. Would not waste a pick on him

The Duke
04-11-2012, 03:37 AM
damn! how are classes going Chidi? :chuckle:

Nice job bro!

ShutDown24
04-11-2012, 05:02 AM
Good job as always Chidi. Quite a few surprises; kept having to remind myself that you intended this as more of what you think should happen - made it a fun read.

Chidi29
04-11-2012, 04:02 PM
Good job as always Chidi. Quite a few surprises; kept having to remind myself that you intended this as more of what you think should happen - made it a fun read.

I know Melvin Ingram will go higher. I know Reiff will, too. But those are guys who to me, shouldn't.

Aussie_steeler
04-11-2012, 06:30 PM
Love the effort Chidi

Now I just need to find a week to analyse the picks, details and logic.

Wow

Shoes
04-11-2012, 09:04 PM
Fire Dulac and Bouchette and give Chidi three years of practical time before moving up to the heavy weights. Always enjoyable young man.

Chidi29
04-11-2012, 09:07 PM
damn! how are classes going Chidi? :chuckle:

Nice job bro!

Haha!

Thanks Duke.

Chidi29
04-11-2012, 09:08 PM

There's a lot of things I'd go back and change if I could. I know McClellin will be higher. Ingram/Reiff will go earlier. The Titans' draft outside of Gilmore is awful. But it happens, it's never where I want it to be. But like I said, it's a really good chance to learn about more players and get a chance to re-learn team's rosters.

ShutDown24
04-11-2012, 11:46 PM
There's a lot of things I'd go back and change if I could. I know McClellin will be higher. Ingram/Reiff will go earlier. The Titans' draft outside of Gilmore is awful. But it happens, it's never where I want it to be. But like I said, it's a really good chance to learn about more players and get a chance to re-learn team's rosters.

That's why I don't think I could ever do seven rounds. I have a hard enough time finding opportunities to watch the 2nd & 3rd round talent. I guess I could go deeper without actually catching games, but that's not as fun for me haha. The way I do my mocks is after I do the first, I just keep a "running mock" moving/removing/adding guys daily and posting it for others to see at strategic times. Also, as you mentioned somewhere else in this thread, once you make one change you have to make dozens of others for the draft to make sense - that's another reason 2 - 3 rounds is my limit lol.

KeiselPower99
04-13-2012, 08:35 PM
Holy crap that's alot to take in but it's worth it. I've seen Joe Longs name a few times linked to us.

Steeldude
04-15-2012, 03:27 AM
I'm thinking with that much time on his hands Chidi must be single and have no children :grin:

Ah...to remember the days before marriage and kids. When my main worries were where to play basketball or football on the weekend. Now it's...$40+ for baby formula...what the...

Anyway, good work, Chidi.

tube517
04-15-2012, 09:03 AM
Chidi just take over Mayock or Kiper's job already.:chuckle:

Sent from my NookColor using Tapatalk 2

Steeltreal
04-21-2012, 01:01 PM
Adrian Hamilton/OLB Prairie View A&M[/B] – A little known prospect who lit up the stat sheets his senior year. Hamilton had 24 TFL and a mind-boggling 22 sacks. He’s also got decent size at 6’3 255. He’ll give the Chargers another body off the edge in their 3-4.

Id like to see this guy as our first pick in 7th round pick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XU34I3duRw