PDA

View Full Version : Trade out of 1st

Steeltreal
04-07-2012, 08:42 PM
Here's my scenario for the 24th pick
1 ) Cordy Glenn is gone and David DeCastro (tradeup) was out of reach
2 ) Kendall Wright WR is still on the board. Bring in our trade partner the St Louis Rams who missed out on Blackmon

Trade 1st - 24, 2nd - 56 , 6th - 193
Acquire 33rd and 39th pick.

My selections
Coby Fleener - TE - 6'6 Redzone target
Kevin Zeitler - OG - power run blocker

And for all you Hightower fans he could slide into the 2nd round

steelerdude15
04-07-2012, 10:33 PM
Here's my scenario for the 24th pick
1 ) Cordy Glenn is gone and David DeCastro (tradeup) was out of reach
2 ) Kendall Wright WR is still on the board. Bring in our trade partner the St Louis Rams who missed out on Blackmon

Trade 1st - 24, 2nd - 56 , 6th - 193
Acquire 33rd and 39th pick.

My selections
Coby Fleener - TE - 6'6 Redzone target
Kevin Zeitler - OG - power run blocker

And for all you Hightower fans he could slide into the 2nd round

If we don't get him, the Ravens will.

ShutDown24
04-08-2012, 12:36 AM
Hightower might not even be there at 24. His stock is on the rise.

However, I wouldn't mind trading down depending on how things are falling. If teams start taking guys like Weeden and Osweiler in the first, trading down would probably become a good option.

suitanim
04-08-2012, 06:28 AM
I'm not against the idea, but would rather look at NT or ILB...and, again, that depends on how things shake out.

Steeldude
04-08-2012, 06:58 AM
I would rather draft Chapman over Hightower.

st33lersguy
04-08-2012, 08:25 AM
Only trade down if there is no NT, OL, or ILB worth taking. If Hightower is available they need to get him

steelerdude15
04-08-2012, 09:30 AM
I would rather draft Chapman over Hightower.

Shoot... I'd rather Luke Kuechly, guy is absolute beast.

LLT
04-08-2012, 09:58 AM
I think there is a strog possiblity that we trade out of the 1st or the 2nd round.

The strength of this draft lies in the 2nd-4th rounds. With legitimate talent at OT/NT/OG in the latter rounds, the determining factor may be ILB, which has a significant drop after round one. Especially in ILB's that can project to 3-4 defenses.

suitanim
04-08-2012, 05:53 PM
I think there is a strog possiblity that we trade out of the 1st or the 2nd round.

The strength of this draft lies in the 2nd-4th rounds. With legitimate talent at OT/NT/OG in the latter rounds, the determining factor may be ILB, which has a significant drop after round one. Especially in ILB's that can project to 3-4 defenses.

So you're thinking if Hightower is gone (and we are presuming that the OG/NT/OT candidates we've been discussing are also gone), then we move down?

I'm fine with that, and for one reason only: Normally we only have a really super solid need at one, MAYBE two positions...this is the first year I can remember where we are in absolute need of 3 positions, and need help at 2-3 others.

Steeldude
04-09-2012, 01:59 AM
Shoot... I'd rather Luke Kuechly, guy is absolute beast.

I have heard he is another Foote. Making tackles after the RB gets yards. What I do like is I have also heard he is an intelligent LB.

LLT
04-09-2012, 03:35 AM
I have heard he is another Foote. Making tackles after the RB gets yards. What I do like is I have also heard he is an intelligent LB.

Intelligent and productive....he averaged about 12 TFL a year but was rarely asked to get after the QB. Having only 2.5 career sacks. He could play ILB but will probably excel at MLB for a team like Seattle.

LLT
04-09-2012, 03:43 AM
So you're thinking if Hightower is gone (and we are presuming that the OG/NT/OT candidates we've been discussing are also gone), then we move down?

I'm fine with that, and for one reason only: Normally we only have a really super solid need at one, MAYBE two positions...this is the first year I can remember where we are in absolute need of 3 positions, and need help at 2-3 others.

I think Hightower will be the temptation. Very hard to trade away from him. If he is gone..there is a chance that we trade down, even with big name Offensive linemen and NT's still there. If he is available, then I can see us grabbing him and trading away the 2nd round pick.

ShutDown24
04-09-2012, 11:23 AM
Intelligent and productive....he averaged about 12 TFL a year but was rarely asked to get after the QB. Having only 2.5 career sacks. He could play ILB but will probably excel at MLB for a team like Seattle.

Yeah, I really think Kuechly is a better fit at MLB. I'm sure he could play in a 34, but I think a team like Seattle is going to take him and not regret it.

LLT
04-09-2012, 11:45 AM
Yeah, I really think Kuechly is a better fit at MLB. I'm sure he could play in a 34, but I think a team like Seattle is going to take him and not regret it.

Seattle signed Rudd...but I can still see them grabbing him if he is the BPA. He could be a playmaker in the lines of Urlacher in the right scheme

ShutDown24
04-09-2012, 12:29 PM
Seattle signed Rudd...but I can still see them grabbing him if he is the BPA. He could be a playmaker in the lines of Urlacher in the right scheme

I don't think Ruud would deter me from taking a player like Kuechly, but if they think they have their starter maybe they go in another direction. Did you read that they might move Kam Chancellor to linebacker so they can draft Barron?

Regardless of whether he ends up in Seattle or somewhere else, I do think he would be better off in a 43.

LLT
04-09-2012, 01:01 PM
I don't think Ruud would deter me from taking a player like Kuechly, but if they think they have their starter maybe they go in another direction. Did you read that they might move Kam Chancellor to linebacker so they can draft Barron?

Regardless of whether he ends up in Seattle or somewhere else, I do think he would be better off in a 43.

I agree with that. If Seattle is targeting Barron,,then you would have to think they might be looking to trade back into the late part of the first round where he is projected. Good trade partner for the Steelers to grab an extra pick in the first half of the second round, plus a few more picks.

GBMelBlount
04-09-2012, 03:14 PM
If Hightower is gone and there is a lot of depth at our need positions in the early mid rounds it makes good sense to me. We probably do have more needs than usual this year.

Steeltreal
04-09-2012, 09:19 PM
Anyone on the Kendricks bandwagon?

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/04/report-cal-linebacker-mychal-kendricks-to-visit-steelers-this-week/ (http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/04/report-cal-linebacker-mychal-kendricks-to-visit-steelers-this-week/)

ShutDown24
04-09-2012, 09:41 PM
Anyone on the Kendricks bandwagon?

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/04/report-cal-linebacker-mychal-kendricks-to-visit-steelers-this-week/ (http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/04/report-cal-linebacker-mychal-kendricks-to-visit-steelers-this-week/)

I like him, but I think his stock is too high after the combine. Although that buzz does appear to have died down some.

Aussie_steeler
04-10-2012, 07:10 AM
Reports on Kendricks are that he failed dismally in the whiteboard sessions with coaches. Appears he is all brawn and no brain.

Doesnt sound like he is the candidate to replace Farrior. He sounds more like a Timmons clone

Texasteel
04-10-2012, 07:27 AM
I have thought Kendricks was over rated for a long time now. If Hightower is gone I hope we could get out of the 1st round and pick up our OG and NT in the second. Then take Johnson in the 3rd.

ShutDown24
04-10-2012, 10:17 AM
I have thought Kendricks was over rated for a long time now. If Hightower is gone I hope we could get out of the 1st round and pick up our OG and NT in the second. Then take Johnson in the 3rd.

Johnson and Carder continue to seem like strong possibilities to me. I'm not sure if Hightower makes it to 24 so your forecast may prove correct.

LLT
04-10-2012, 10:48 AM

I've liked Johnson for quite awhile...I think his skill set is quite a bit like Sly's, and I have more faith in Sly's ability than most people think is warranted.

Along that same line...If we get into the 6th-7th rounds and Brandon Marshall of Nevada is still on the board...I would be very happy to see us pull the trigger on him. Very underrated and might be a Timmons-type player in that we could try him inside and outside to see where he fits best. I like this kid A LOT!!!

LLT
04-10-2012, 10:52 AM
Johnson and Carder continue to seem like strong possibilities to me. I'm not sure if Hightower makes it to 24 so your forecast may prove correct.

Carder is one of those kids that I really WANT to like....lunch pail type over-achiever with good work ethic. But I see him getting overwhelmed too often... fighting to get through the clutter to get to the ball. Another player that I would take in the latter rounds and know that even if he doesnt pan out as an ILB...you might have a ST demon on your hands.

ShutDown24
04-10-2012, 11:01 AM
Carder is one of those kids that I really WANT to like....lunch pail type over-achiever with good work ethic. But I see him getting overwhelmed too often... fighting to get through the clutter to get to the ball. Another player that I would take in the latter rounds and know that even if he doesnt pan out as an ILB...you might have a ST demon on your hands.

If the Steelers agree with you then unfortunately I don't think he ends up on the roster, although there is a lot of dissenting opinion on his value, so who knows.

Something I was thinking about earlier... what about the forgotten man - Vontaze Burfict? At this point I think you can expect to see him come off the boards no earlier than round 4 or 5... would the Steelers roll the dice? I'm inclined to say no, but it would be tempting.

LLT
04-10-2012, 11:14 AM
If the Steelers agree with you then unfortunately I don't think he ends up on the roster, although there is a lot of dissenting opinion on his value, so who knows.

Something I was thinking about earlier... what about the forgotten man - Vontaze Burfict? At this point I think you can expect to see him come off the boards no earlier than round 4 or 5... would the Steelers roll the dice? I'm inclined to say no, but it would be tempting.

Vontaze Burfict might be a three time loser....1) terrible performances at both the combine and at his pro day...2) incredibly bad interviews with teams who sat down to talk to him...and 3) severe character issues splashed all over his past.

There is even talk of him going undrafted....though I think a team like the Bengals (of course), the Raiders, or the Titans will take a flyer on him if he is there is the 5th. I think your instincts are right in regards to his chances of being on the steelers radar....not going to happen.

ShutDown24
04-10-2012, 11:17 AM
Vontaze Burfict might be a three time loser....1) terrible performances at both the combine and at his pro day...2) incredibly bad interviews with teams who sat down to talk to him...and 3) severe character issues splashed all over his past.

There is even talk of him going undrafted....though I think a team like the Bengals (of course), the Raiders, or the Titans will take a glyer on him if he is there is the 5th. I think your instincts are right in regards to his chances of being on the steelers radar....not going to happen.

Yeah I agree. I feel like he goes a lot earlier than a lot of people are projecting at this point - but not a fit for us. But there is a reason he was projected as a high second round selection at one point. His status reminds me a lot of what Brandon Spikes went through a couple years back, but probably worse. I could see him coming in and being productive for a team though.

Steeltreal
04-10-2012, 12:48 PM
Another linebacker visit not named Hightower , Nick Perry of Southern Cal.

Missouri tight end Michael Egnew

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/veteran-te-visits-steelers-630739/

ShutDown24
04-10-2012, 02:03 PM
Another linebacker visit not named Hightower , Nick Perry of Southern Cal.

Missouri tight end Michael Egnew

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/veteran-te-visits-steelers-630739/

Perry would be an outside linebacker/pass rusher. I'm surprised we've been visiting with such highly thought of OLB types.

I would LOVE for us to bring Leonard Pope in. Glad to hear he's in town.