PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Pirates Regular Season Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3]

oneforthetoe
08-29-2012, 10:29 PM
He's not that far this year. Closing in on .250

Agreed ... but he needs to be more consistent with his average. Granted, power hitters tend to not be a consistent in average. Still, if he could spend 3/4 of the year above that .250 that would go a long way.

Chidi29
08-29-2012, 10:31 PM
Agreed ... but he needs to be more consistent with his average. Granted, power hitters tend to not be a consistent in average. Still, if he could spend 3/4 of the year above that .250 that would go a long way.

No argument here.

steelerdude15
08-30-2012, 10:58 AM
Pitching prospect Cole promoted to Triple-A

Pirates prospect Gerrit Cole, the No. 1 overall draft pick in 2011, is on his way to Triple-A Indianapolis.

The right-hander started the year in High-A Bradenton, then went 3-6 with a 2.90 ERA in 12 starts with Double-A Altoona.

Cole pitched 59 innings, allowed 19 earned runs and two home runs, walked 23 and struck out 60.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/2496022-85/pirates-hit-runs-park-tuesday-cole-alvarez-baseman-doctors-getting#ixzz252tCdU1R

X-Terminator
08-31-2012, 12:36 AM
From A-ball to AAA in one season for Gerrit. Hopefully they don't rush him to the majors next season. Give him some time at Indy first.

Cards lose 8-1, Bucs are just a half-game out of the 2nd WC spot and 3.5 games behind the Braves for the top WC spot. I'm praying they take advantage of their upcoming soft schedule and don't revert back to being the same old, lame old, sorry old Pirates. I mean, they're right there...

Hindes204
08-31-2012, 09:29 AM
From A-ball to AAA in one season for Gerrit. Hopefully they don't rush him to the majors next season. Give him some time at Indy first.

Cards lose 8-1, Bucs are just a half-game out of the 2nd WC spot and 3.5 games behind the Braves for the top WC spot. I'm praying they take advantage of their upcoming soft schedule and don't revert back to being the same old, lame old, sorry old Pirates. I mean, they're right there...

I can always count on you for an uplifting message about the Pirates, lol.

But, trust me, I believe we are around the same age, so I know where you are coming from. Its been a long couple of decades.

steelerdude15
08-31-2012, 10:45 PM
Well, tonight wasn't there night, but the Pirates have struggled against the Brewers for along time. Hopefully they can play much better tomorrow night and I hope Karstens will recover fully.

X-Terminator
09-01-2012, 12:25 AM
I'm too angry to comment on tonight's game, so I won't.

Onward...

EDIT: Ditto that for tonight's (Saturday's) game as well. My anger and frustration with this team has officially reached critical mass.

Hindes204
09-02-2012, 02:43 PM
5 home runs in 4 innings so far....this is not going well.

X-Terminator
09-02-2012, 03:07 PM
They are about to be swept again in Milwaukee. I wouldn't shed a tear if that ballpark burned to the ground.

vader29
09-02-2012, 04:49 PM
Wish they were moving the Brewers back to the American League instead of the Astros.

X-Terminator
09-02-2012, 05:03 PM
They have the Astros and Cubs coming up. They had damn well better come up with at least 4 wins. I'd prefer a sweep, but that isn't going to happen.

steelerdude15
09-02-2012, 06:59 PM
Hoping for a much better series against the Astros starting tomorrow.

steelerdude15
09-03-2012, 06:02 PM
I'm not going to lie, I'm starting to get really pissed off with this team. I don't seem to understand why they're struggling SO MUCH against teams with losing records. I just can't seem to understand this.

X-Terminator
09-03-2012, 06:59 PM
When the team finishes below .500 - and I don't know how anyone can believe they won't after what they've shown recently - then a wholesale housecleaning needs to happen. There is absolutely no excuse for this team to completely collapse like this again.

Godfather
09-03-2012, 08:29 PM
The Pirates need to start tanking any game they don't win by the 12th inning.

Count Steeler
09-03-2012, 08:44 PM
28 games to go. Only need 12 wins needed to break the .500 curse. Even 12-16 is starting to look unachievable. Hurdle has to wake up and get the players playing again.

steelerdude15
09-03-2012, 09:25 PM
28 games to go. Only need 12 wins needed to break the .500 curse. Even 12-16 is starting to look unachievable. Hurdle has to wake up and get the players playing again.

It is very achievable, but they are not playing well at all and have all of us on our toes.

Hindes204
09-03-2012, 10:23 PM
I guarantee we finish above .500

Anyone want to wager otherwise??

oneforthetoe
09-03-2012, 11:33 PM

I won't wager because I think the chances are about 60 - 40 they still will break .500. Although, if they are going to do it, they need to get some wins over the stros and cubs. If they are below .500 against those teams the next 5 games, I am going to get nervous.

X-Terminator
09-04-2012, 01:48 PM

I'm considering it...

Hindes204
09-04-2012, 03:07 PM
I'm considering it...

We can do something simple like an Avatar for ?? months or something like that. Or cold hard cash if you like. I have watched this team pretty closely this year, and while I know they arent a great team, I truely believe they can string enough wins together to get above .500

steelerdude15
09-04-2012, 11:16 PM
Four game losing streak is over and the Bucs get another win. Come on guys, almost there...

X-Terminator
09-05-2012, 12:24 AM
We can do something simple like an Avatar for ?? months or something like that. Or cold hard cash if you like. I have watched this team pretty closely this year, and while I know they arent a great team, I truely believe they can string enough wins together to get above .500

I thought about it, and no. And to be perfectly honest, it's because I don't like losing. :wink02:

steelerdude15
09-05-2012, 09:59 PM
Good to see the Pirates get another series under their belts. The Buccos have now reached the same amount of wins this year that they finished with last year.

oneforthetoe
09-05-2012, 10:48 PM
I'm up to 65 -35 that they will finish above .500. Win thew cubby series and I am 75-25.

Hindes204
09-05-2012, 10:50 PM
I'm up to 65 -35 that they will finish above .500. Win thew cubby series and I am 75-25.

Im still at 100% the streak ends this year

X-Terminator
09-05-2012, 10:58 PM

If they sweep the Cubs, that would give them 75 wins. At that point, I'd be 60-40 in favor of them breaking the streak. Take 2 of 3 from the Reds after that, and I'd guarantee it. I'm still not holding my breath.

Borski
09-06-2012, 07:00 AM
Hey XT, with the Steelers season upon us, would it be possible to edit the title of this thread to say "2012 Pirates Regular Season Thread" or something similar?

X-Terminator
09-06-2012, 10:59 AM
Hey XT, with the Steelers season upon us, would it be possible to edit the title of this thread to say "2012 Pirates Regular Season Thread" or something similar?

Done!

Boh
09-07-2012, 02:01 PM
6/10/12
I wouldn't be worried about the O's, their collapse is coming soon enough. Twins are one of the worst teams in the majors, but the rest do look tough.

:wink02:

X-Terminator
09-07-2012, 03:51 PM
:wink02:

The O's have had a hell of a season, no doubt. I'm happy for them, but I'll be even happier if they beat out the Yankmees and win the AL East.

steelerdude15
09-09-2012, 04:02 PM
All I can do is shake my head.

X-Terminator
09-09-2012, 04:30 PM
All I can do is shake my head.

If they cannot beat the Cubs at home, they won't finish .500. Simple as that.

Best thing to hope for now is that they tank the rest of the season for a better draft pick and get the entire FO staff fired - Hurdle, Huntington, Coonelly, the scouts - none of them should be employed after a 2nd consecutive collapse. As much as I hate Cheapskate Bob and think he'd just hire more incompetent lackeys to keep filling his pockets, he would really have no choice if he really means what he says about accountability.

steelerdude15
09-09-2012, 04:34 PM
If they cannot beat the Cubs at home, they won't finish .500. Simple as that.

Best thing to hope for now is that they tank the rest of the season for a better draft pick and get the entire FO staff fired - Hurdle, Huntington, Coonelly, the scouts - none of them should be employed after a 2nd consecutive collapse. As much as I hate Cheapskate Bob and think he'd just hire more incompetent lackeys to keep filling his pockets, he would really have no choice if he really means what he says about accountability.

Yup, I'm thinking the same thing when it comes to our record, but you know that Hurdle, Huntington, etc won't be fired. As much as you want it to happen, it won't.

steelerdude15
09-11-2012, 09:02 PM
This sucks, a five game losing streak. All I can do is shake my head.

Boh
09-14-2012, 01:21 AM
The O's have had a hell of a season, no doubt. I'm happy for them, but I'll be even happier if they beat out the Yankmees and win the AL East.

O's just swept the Rays in a 3 game series. wow. The whole city is Orange and purple. Sitting ontop the AL East with the Yankees. Off to Oakland, tough road series.

During the Monday Night game vs the Bengals almost all the Orioles attended, they showed them on the Big screens and everyone went nuts. Its great having baseball back in Baltimore.

steelerdude15
09-14-2012, 11:27 AM
Well, I'm hoping the Pirates can win today and break the six game losing streak. It would be nice to see a win, finally....

X-Terminator
09-14-2012, 04:03 PM
Pirates down 7-3. Looks like loss #7 in a row coming up. Their chances of salvaging a winning season get less and less with every loss.

Count Steeler
09-14-2012, 08:23 PM
Well, the collapse has put them in a position of having to play over .500 for the last 19 remaining games to finish at 82-80.

Someone has to tell these guys that the season ends at the end of September, not August.

X-Terminator
09-15-2012, 03:42 PM
Pirates finally win 7-6 and break their 7-game losing streak. Hanrahan tried like hell to give it away in the 9th - they were up 7-4 and he gives up 2 runs on 2 hits and 3 walks, and he struck out Sappelt of the Cubs with the bases loaded to end the game.

oneforthetoe
09-15-2012, 03:58 PM
We won We won We won .....

steelerdude15
09-16-2012, 11:46 AM
It was great to finally get a win. Hopefully they'll be able to keep it up and win today.

X-Terminator
09-16-2012, 05:34 PM
Only the Pirates can score 9 runs and still lose. Truly outstanding pitching performance today.

They may as well tank the rest of the season to get a better draft pick, and quit teasing the fans (and in the case of Cheapskate Bob Nutting, bullshitting the fans after calling their performance "unacceptable" before yesterday's game).

steelerdude15
09-16-2012, 05:37 PM
It was the Pirates for the first half of the game and the Cubs for the second half of the game. Sloppy back to back innings (fifth and sixth) with once again, the pitcher not being pulled at the right time. Locke gave up four or five straight hits including a few scores. Then Hughes gave up a grand slam when he had already had enough. BIGGEST complaint about Hurdle, never knows when to take out his starting pitcher and relief pitchers. The base running was great for most the day with four stolen bases, however, two big mistakes overshadow the SBs. The first was Walker's horrible effort. It could go either way for the blame on this one for the player or coach. The third base coach should have stopped him at second, however, if Neil was running at full speed and not simply jogging, he probably would have been safe. Then there was the issue with the fake pitch to first that got Marte out. That was Marte's fault in that he got caught in the play. Other than that Marte played great and the same with Cutch and Pedro who had two homeruns. Very frustrating when the Pirates were up six to one half way through the fifth just to have that completely taken away and lose thirteen to nine. I hope the Pirates can get a win and tie the series tomorrow.

steelerdude15
09-16-2012, 05:39 PM
Only the Pirates can score 9 runs and still lose. Truly outstanding pitching performance today.

They may as well tank the rest of the season to get a better draft pick, and quit teasing the fans (and in the case of Cheapskate Bob Nutting, bullshitting the fans after calling their performance "unacceptable" before yesterday's game).

I would debate your claim on the outstanding pitching. It was great until the bottom of the fifth and it went to Hell after that. Locke gave up a lot in the fifth and the Hughes gave up a grand slam in the sixth. The other relief pitchers weren't really able to put the Cubs batters away after that.

X-Terminator
09-16-2012, 05:59 PM
I would debate your claim on the outstanding pitching. It was great until the bottom of the fifth and it went to Hell after that. Locke gave up a lot in the fifth and the Hughes gave up a grand slam in the sixth. The other relief pitchers weren't really able to put the Cubs batters away after that.

Doesn't matter how good it was for 4 innings. What happened after that is all that matters. Van den Hurk, Hughes, Leroux, Wilson...none of them should pitch again this season. What the hell was Hurdle thinking bringing van den Hurk into the game in the first place? Another one of those oh-so-brilliant moves by their alleged "manager." They need to fire his gum-chewing ass.

steelerdude15
09-16-2012, 06:28 PM
Doesn't matter how good it was for 4 innings. What happened after that is all that matters. Van den Hurk, Hughes, Leroux, Wilson...none of them should pitch again this season. What the hell was Hurdle thinking bringing van den Hurk into the game in the first place? Another one of those oh-so-brilliant moves by their alleged "manager." They need to fire his gum-chewing ass.

Yeah, a lot of new pitchers and pitching changes came out of anywhere. You know, I wonder that when the Pirates started switching up the roster a couple months ago if that is what really screwed up the season by messing up the chemistry? What do you think XT?

X-Terminator
09-16-2012, 08:53 PM
Yeah, a lot of new pitchers and pitching changes came out of anywhere. You know, I wonder that when the Pirates started switching up the roster a couple months ago if that is what really screwed up the season by messing up the chemistry? What do you think XT?

I don't think chemistry had anything to do with it. I don't believe they were ever as good as their record and simply overachieved for about 2 months. What you have been seeing lately is the REAL Pirates.

steelerdude15
09-16-2012, 09:08 PM
I don't think chemistry had anything to do with it. I don't believe they were ever as good as their record and simply overachieved for about 2 months. What you have been seeing lately is the REAL Pirates.

I don't know.... I think that this team does have the potential to be good team. Not great, but good.

steelerdude15
09-18-2012, 11:33 PM
Nutting correct to seek answers

On Sept. 7, 2007, Bob Nutting fired Dave Littlefield after five failed seasons as the Pirates’ general manager. But he didn’t make that call rolling out of bed. He’d spent months asking questions of people inside and outside the organization. He even dragged Littlefield by the ear to Latin America to explain the mess he’d made of operations there.

If you think Nutting isn’t asking similar questions now, amid a second consecutive epic collapse, trust me that you’re mistaken.

He absolutely is.

Right now.

But let’s start with this: Contrary to all the caricatures of Nutting out there, the man is an intensely involved — though hardly interfering — owner. He’s at the PNC Park offices more often than not. He’s at most home games, plus several on the road and others involving the minor-league affiliates.

Put another way, he’s no more or less involved than Art Rooney II or Mario Lemieux.

Nutting doesn’t spend as much money as fans would like. But the notion that he doesn’t care, based on my firsthand impressions, is flat-out false.

He does care.

He doesn’t like what he sees.

And I won’t be surprised in the slightest if he takes action once this season ends.

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/2573386-74/nutting-pirates-draft-league-collapse-questions-team-baseball-america-director#ixzz26t33Vgon

Very well written article and a must read for all us Pirates fans.

vader29
09-19-2012, 09:16 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jF5hfc0jYpU

Borski
09-21-2012, 06:41 AM
2 epic collapses like this in unacceptable, Huntington, Hurdle and several others of the Pirates upper management better be walkin' the plank at the end of the season.

steeldevil
09-21-2012, 08:54 AM
A player hit a foul ball straight back and the ball broke the "A" in "PNC PARK" behind the plate....

Pretty symbolic...

steelpride12
09-22-2012, 09:24 AM
2 games UNDER now losing against the sad sad Astros, I think i'd rather have there record than watch this epic failure again like last season ugh.

steelerdude15
09-22-2012, 08:40 PM
This season turned out to be another disappointment. I have a feeling Nutting is going to make some changes this offseason. I don't think we'll see Huntington as general manager after this year. Just a guess though.

arschloch
09-23-2012, 11:41 AM
September has been a rough month. VERY DEPRESSING

steelerdude15
09-23-2012, 07:19 PM
At least the Pirates won and AJ got his sixteenth win.

steelpride12
09-23-2012, 09:45 PM
Serious changes?! It almost needs to be a TOTAL change for me to become ever confident again.

vader29
09-24-2012, 04:14 PM
Bucs making the wrong kind of history by Jayson Stark

This is an edition of the September History Watch that we September History Watchers didn't want to write -- any more than Clint Hurdle or Andrew McCutchen or A.J. Burnett want to read.

But at this point, we can't help ourselves, because the Pittsburgh Pirates are hurtling toward the kind of history nobody wants to make.

As recently as Aug. 6, a mere seven weeks ago, they had a record of 62-46. That's 16 games over .500, if you're subtracting along at home. And they'd played 108 games at the time. That's two-thirds of the season.

So if there ever was a lock for them -- or any team -- to finish with a winning record, this was it. Right?

OK, wrong. Obviously. We know that now. We know it because the Pirates have tumbled, stumbled and bumbled their way to a record that now sits at two games under .500.

And that means this team is on the verge of doing something no team has ever done:

Find itself at least 16 games over .500 after 108 games and finish with a (gulp) losing record.

Read more: http://espn.go.com/mlb/blog/_/name/stark_jayson/id/8420733/pittsburgh-pirates-trying-avoid-wrong-kind-history-mlb

venom
09-28-2012, 08:45 PM
http://images.picturesdepot.com/photo/h/homer_simpson_doh-11214.jpg

Boh
09-28-2012, 08:48 PM
damn a no hitter on pitt

90 wins on the year. Magic number now at 3. pennant race!

steelerdude15
09-28-2012, 11:37 PM
I think that when this season ends, this thread should be locked. Who agrees?

Hindes204
09-29-2012, 01:21 AM
Shoulda taken my wager X...I'd be sporting a sig of your choice right about now. Yet another shitty season is coming to a close. I still refuse to give up. There's always next year!!!! I've been saying that since I was 13 >:-(

Edman
09-29-2012, 03:39 PM
Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Never again.

This year's team did everything possible to raise everyone's hopes, then they fell apart again. At least the shitty teams were shit from year on out. This is worse. A team that turns great then becomes shit.

SIXTEEN GAMES OVER .500. SIXTEEN.

No more. I'm firmly in X-T's corner. He got the right idea waiting for them to collapse, because that's all they do. They just can't do it. Next year, it's going to be the same old shit. I don't give a damn where they are at the end of July or August or wherever. Until this team eclipses 82, they're just a waste of time. Until I see this team eclipse 82 at some point, I don't believe in them. They're shit until proven otherwise.

steelerdude15
10-02-2012, 08:59 PM
Pirates win tonight which means they win the last series of the season which is nice. Hopefully they can go for the sweep tomorrow. That would be nice.

oneforthetoe
10-02-2012, 11:50 PM
I hope they win tomorrow, but a sweep just frustrates me even more. They just had to play close to .500 ball the last two months of the season for me to consider it a successful season.