PDA

View Full Version : 2012 Pirates Regular Season Thread

Pages : 1 [2] 3

steelpride12
07-18-2012, 02:29 PM
Well I guess J-Mac isn't better yet. He just gave up 2 HR's in the first inning and it's now 3-0 Rockies, ugh.

X-Terminator
07-18-2012, 06:39 PM
Bucs win 9-6. 4 more HR and J-Mac ends up getting the win even though he gave up 6 runs. His last 2 starts have been brutal, but I'm not sure whether to be concerned or give him a pass because he had to pitch in 2 hitter's ballparks. We'll see Tuesday if he gets his act together.

Back to 11 games over .500 with their next 13 games against teams under .500. If they can come away with at least 8 wins, it would put them in decent shape heading into Cincinnati August 2. I'd love for them to get 9 or 10 wins, though, which would give them 60 wins by the end of July, but I know that won't happen. Watch them go 5-8 instead.

Edman
07-18-2012, 08:10 PM
The Bucs have been a little shaky in this road trip coming off the break, but they haven't fallen apart...yet.

steelerdude15
07-18-2012, 08:29 PM
Not going to lie, the beginning of the game scared me, but they fought back and won it. Good for them and back to Pittsburgh they go!

steelpride12
07-18-2012, 09:28 PM
Today showed me something. 2 years ago if the Bucs would have been down 5-1, they would have easily folded and lost. Today the offense came alive and they got the victory. It was a scary game early, but a 2-3 games is a consistent pattern I'd love to see from here on out. Marlins time, nothing says they can't get at least 2-3 again.

X-Terminator
07-18-2012, 11:28 PM
Just FYI - the Bucs are tied with the Yankees for the most road HR in the majors (64), and already have 101 HR for the season (they had 107 all of last season), good enough for 4th in the NL. McCutchen (22) and Alvarez (19) are 2nd and 4th in the NL in HR (Bug-Eyed cheater Ryan Fraud has 26). Unbelievable power surge by the Bucs in the past 7 weeks. They are also now tied for 1st in the Central again - Reds lost 7-1.

steelerdude15
07-19-2012, 12:05 AM
Just FYI - the Bucs are tied with the Yankees for the most road HR in the majors (64), and already have 101 HR for the season (they had 107 all of last season), good enough for 4th in the NL. McCutchen (22) and Alvarez (19) are 2nd and 4th in the NL in HR (Bug-Eyed cheater Ryan Fraud has 26). Unbelievable power surge by the Bucs in the past 7 weeks. They are also now tied for 1st in the Central again - Reds lost 7-1.
Those are quite the stats. Let's hope they keep it up.

steelpride12
07-19-2012, 11:58 AM
Couldn't be happier with those stats they truly are remarkable, our Bucs have come a long way. This is something they can hang their hats on for sure and if they can carry themselves out like this the rest of the way they will be a force to reckon with and would make the playoffs. Let's keep it rolling against the Marlins.

Edman
07-19-2012, 12:54 PM
Last year's team started going sour around this time. July 20th to be exact. Coming off a road trip, the Bucs could've fallen apart after that first Rockies loss, but they seem to have righted the ship. Hope they keep it going. Back to back home series against the Marlins and Cubs coming up, then a four game set in Houston. If they can come out of those series' fine, I like their chances going into August.

steelpride12
07-19-2012, 01:20 PM
Last year's team started going sour around this time. July 20th to be exact. Coming off a road trip, the Bucs could've fallen apart after that first Rockies loss, but they seem to have righted the ship. Hope they keep it going. Back to back home series against the Marlins and Cubs coming up, then a four game set in Houston. If they can come out of those series' fine, I like their chances going into August.
I know I'm just being positive, but I just truly think this is a different team than last year. The offense is more consistent and the pitching for the most part is solid as well. The Bucs know what happened last year and it seems they are keeping focused and being prepared. I hope they stay this way into August.

oneforthetoe
07-19-2012, 01:32 PM
Difference with last year to me is that even with some of the recent losses, the Bucs are still in the fight. That instant offense from the long ball always gives them a chance.

Biggest concern now is McDonald. I hope these last two starts were simply bumps in the road, and not a sign of a slide backwards. They need James to be good in the second half.

steelpride12
07-19-2012, 01:34 PM
http://triblive.com/home/2216291-74/pirates-huntington-arms-pitchers-pitching-starkey-team-acquiring-consider-franchise

A good read on the trade deadline situation. I do not think the Pirates need to be throwing around players like Cole and Marte who in the future could come in handy. I know this organization and fan base truly want Upton, but quite frankly he is diminished and plays half ass baseball, not to mention he will want an arm and a leg of a contract to play in Pittsburgh. The Pirates still need pitching. Yes we acquired Burnett, but he is 35 and we won't have him around for many more seasons.

steelpride12
07-19-2012, 01:36 PM
Difference with last year to me is that even with some of the recent losses, the Bucs are still in the fight. That instant offense from the long ball always gives them a chance.

Biggest concern now is McDonald. I hope these last two starts were simply bumps in the road, and not a sign of a slide backwards. They need James to be good in the second half.

Yupp. Last year if the Pirates were down 4-1 or 5-1 in a game they would have folded and end up losing no doubts about it. This season the Pirates don't give up in a game and with the power and production in the bats they always have a chance to not only come back, but win the game. Mcdonald, yes I am nervous about. I know he is better than this and just holding my breathe he finds his form his next start or two.

steelerdude15
07-19-2012, 02:02 PM
Yeah James has worried me these past two starts. He isn't as consistent as he was in the first half and he's lost some of his control. I hope he gets it back.

steelpride12
07-21-2012, 08:55 AM
Another scary with for the Bucs last night with that starting pitching. Correia gives up a HR to Reyes on his first pitch and ended up being 2-0 after the first, but the Bucs still fought back and Walker ended the tie with a single blast to make it 4-3. I was impressed with the bullpen though as they shut down the Marlins all the way from the 4th inning. A win is a win.

steelerdude15
07-21-2012, 05:06 PM
Another scary with for the Bucs last night with that starting pitching. Correia gives up a HR to Reyes on his first pitch and ended up being 2-0 after the first, but the Bucs still fought back and Walker ended the tie with a single blast to make it 4-3. I was impressed with the bullpen though as they shut down the Marlins all the way from the 4th inning. A win is a win.

I can't help, but think that every time Correia and Bedard pitch, it's an automatic lose. I feel bad because I'm not the type of person who blames one single person when its a team sport.

polamalubeast
07-21-2012, 05:15 PM
I know it's still early, but the playoffs are possible for the pirates! But take it one game at a time!!!

Edman
07-21-2012, 09:09 PM
Pirates take the series against the Marlins, and score four runs on no hits in the fourth inning. Finding another way to win. Burnett remains unbeaten at PNC.

steelerdude15
07-21-2012, 09:15 PM
True that. Thirteen games over .500, its a good feeling.

X-Terminator
07-21-2012, 11:31 PM
They only need to win 29 of their remaining 69 games to finally end the streak. Can they do it? Maybe. Maybe not. We'll see.

steelpride12
07-22-2012, 04:10 PM
Buccos complete the full sweep of the Marlins today with a 3-0 shutout. Another Alvarez bomb, wow. 21 HR for him now and Cutch with 22 that is some nasty stats. Pitching was stellar today which is a sigh of relief. Now to the Cubs another team we can easily take 2-3 or sweep, Go Bucs!

X-Terminator
07-22-2012, 04:19 PM
Cubs might be pissed off after being swept by the Cards by a combined score of 22-1. Don't sleep on them.

vader29
07-22-2012, 04:30 PM
http://img109.imageshack.us/img109/456/thepittsburghpiratespar.gif

steelerdude15
07-22-2012, 05:48 PM
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/832702/Screen_Shot_2011-12-21_at_10.34.53_AM.png

http://www2.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/St+Louis+Cardinals+v+Pittsburgh+Pirates+wAgAjH0quV Tl.jpg

http://bloximages.chicago2.vip.townnews.com/indianagazette.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/a/e3/ae3e981c-6944-11e1-ae73-0019bb2963f4/4f58ed5c0dd5f.preview-300.jpg

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m66km6biVM1qjm4c3o1_1280.jpg

Surely gotta love this guy. :chuckle:

steelpride12
07-23-2012, 12:24 PM
Cardinals are getting scary just at the right time now and going to make this division race a lot tougher if they keep winning games at this pace, on the other hand the Reds aren't missing Votto, those bastards just keep winning games. Doesn't give us any room to breathe, gotta keep up the pace Buccos!

Hindes204
07-23-2012, 12:33 PM
Cardinals are getting scary just at the right time now and going to make this division race a lot tougher if they keep winning games at this pace, on the other hand the Reds aren't missing Votto, those bastards just keep winning games. Doesn't give us any room to breathe, gotta keep up the pace Buccos!

Yea, unfortunately the Cards and the Reds get to play the same easy schedule against terrible opponents that we get to play. Itll be a close race all the way till the end.

Hindes204
07-23-2012, 12:39 PM
The Reds have series against the Astros, Rockies, and Padres coming up...they wont lose many of those games. So, the series against us in the beginning of August will be huge.

steelpride12
07-23-2012, 01:03 PM
I feel almost stubborn hoping for a division win, but why not they have a huge chance of doing so. Not going to be easy, but with the addition of a 2nd wild card spot I love our chances of getting in. We just need to keep winning!

polamalubeast
07-23-2012, 03:31 PM
If they play well, as this is the case in the last 50 games, they will be in the playoffs....If they play badly as in april, they will not be in the playoffs

The pirates only need to control what they can control

steeldevil
07-23-2012, 04:49 PM
I wouldn't say beating up on the Cubs twice means we are getting scary. We have a losing record since the break lol. If we can take 3 of 4 against the Dodgers though that would be great.

X-Terminator
07-23-2012, 09:08 PM
Cubs might be pissed off after being swept by the Cards by a combined score of 22-1. Don't sleep on them.

Well look at that...right again.

2-hit by the 3rd-worst team in MLB. :rofl:

Fans really need to stop drinking the Kool-Aid.

steelpride12
07-23-2012, 10:24 PM
I can't say it was a bad loss. It was a pitchers duel in which Bedard had an amazing game, over 11K's, but the Cubs pitching was just a run better than us tonight.

steelerdude15
07-23-2012, 11:39 PM
Bedard did his part, but the hitting wasn't there. You'll have games like this every once and a while. No need to worry, not one bit.

steelpride12
07-24-2012, 12:48 PM
I'm scared for tonight. McDonald is on the mound and I'm just praying that he doesn't have 3 rough games in a row. I'm still thinking it's just a bad streak, but he needs to be top notch if we want to get into the playoffs.

Hindes204
07-24-2012, 01:04 PM
I'm scared for tonight. McDonald is on the mound and I'm just praying that he doesn't have 3 rough games in a row. I'm still thinking it's just a bad streak, but he needs to be top notch if we want to get into the playoffs.

I applaud your spirit, but you gotta take baby steps. I'll be happy with a winning season to begin with. We are not a playoff caliber team just yet. I believe we are much better than last year, but hopIng for a run in the playoffs is a bit of a stretch.

steelpride12
07-24-2012, 07:49 PM
5-1 Cubs ugh.

X-Terminator
07-24-2012, 09:04 PM
Looking like deja vu this year. Think I'm going to turn my attention to the Steelers now - the Pirates are done and will continue to be nothing more than a punchline in a very bad joke.

steelerdude15
07-24-2012, 10:13 PM
Yep, one bad series and it's time to just give up. Well, you all can, I'm not. You know, twelve games over five hundred and there's worry. Whatever. O and by the way, we just landed another starting pitcher, a left hander at that:

Pirates acquired left-handed starter Wandy Rodriguez

The Pirates acquired left-handed starter Wandy Rodriguez and cash from the Houston Astros Tuesday night in exchange for three minor leaguers.

Rodriguez, 33, is 7-9 with a 3.79 ERA for the Astros this season. He has 89 strikeouts in 1302/3 innings. His 6.1 strikeouts-per-nine innings ratio is the lowest of his career, but so is his 2.2 walks per nine.

The Pirates sent pitchers Rudy Owens and Colton Cain and outfielder Robbie Grossman to the Pirates in the deal.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/pirates/pirates-acquire-left-handed-starter-wandy-rodriguez-646029/#ixzz21bHq2ARh

steelpride12
07-24-2012, 10:16 PM
I like the deal. We needed a lefty and this guy can play. He is old, but still has some life in him.

Hindes204
07-24-2012, 10:29 PM
Looking like deja vu this year. Think I'm going to turn my attention to the Steelers now - the Pirates are done and will continue to be nothing more than a punchline in a very bad joke.

If someone took the same attitude you have towards the Pirates and applied it to the Steelers on this board, you'd be all over them. I'm glad fans like you give up and focus on the Steelers, the Pirates don't need fans that throw them away so easily

X-Terminator
07-24-2012, 11:10 PM
If someone took the same attitude you have towards the Pirates and applied it to the Steelers on this board, you'd be all over them. I'm glad fans like you give up and focus on the Steelers, the Pirates don't need fans that throw them away so easily

I have 19 years of abject failure to fall back on. The Steelers do not. Big difference.

I haven't been sold on this team from the beginning, and until they DON'T have yet another 10-game losing streak or another 9-22 August and actually finish above .500 (I don't care about playoffs), I will continue to be skeptical of everything they do. No offense, but I'm sorry if you can't understand that.

steelerdude15
07-24-2012, 11:31 PM
I have 19 years of abject failure to fall back on. The Steelers do not. Big difference.

I haven't been sold on this team from the beginning, and until they DON'T have yet another 10-game losing streak or another 9-22 August and actually finish above .500 (I don't care about playoffs), I will continue to be skeptical of everything they do. No offense, but I'm sorry if you can't understand that.

Sure, we understand where you're coming from. I think its fair to say we're a little skeptical of this team. However, we're enjoying this season so far and there's a good possibility they may have winning season for the first time since 1992. They may do it or they may not. I'm just enjoying the ride. Teams will have bad series against both good and bad teams from time to time. We just did get off a five game winning streak so I think we can live with a two game losing streak and losing a series. Yeah, we all wish we could win every series, but its not possible. Just enjoy it.

X-Terminator
07-25-2012, 12:30 AM
Look guys, I WANT the Pirates to do well. I want them to prove me wrong. You really don't know how much I want that. But after suffering through so much failure and with last year's collapse still fresh on my mind, it's tough for me to believe that things will be different this year. We've been saying that for nearly 2 decades, since my freshman year in college for crying out loud. So I'm preparing for the usual stretch of losing and bad baseball while hoping it does not happen.

As for the Rodriguez trade, I will reserve judgment until after a couple of starts.

steelerdude15
07-25-2012, 10:26 AM
Look guys, I WANT the Pirates to do well. I want them to prove me wrong. You really don't know how much I want that. But after suffering through so much failure and with last year's collapse still fresh on my mind, it's tough for me to believe that things will be different this year. We've been saying that for nearly 2 decades, since my freshman year in college for crying out loud. So I'm preparing for the usual stretch of losing and bad baseball while hoping it does not happen.

As for the Rodriguez trade, I will reserve judgment until after a couple of starts.

We know you want it too, but we can't give in when there is a bump in the road.

steelpride12
07-25-2012, 10:31 AM
Exactly we want it to happen so why get down and out after two losses. So the Cubs are bad?! You said it yourself that it wouldn't be a cake walk since they got swept by the Cards, 2 games doesn't mean the difference between a winning or losing season. Just be confident, enjoy the ride and hope for the best. That's all were trying to do here.

Hindes204
07-25-2012, 10:35 AM
We know you want it too, but we can't give in when there is a bump in the road.

This.

X, We have all been through the same 2 decades of frustration (the older generation anyway). And I understand that people should remain realistic when talking about the Pirates and not sugarcoat what very well could be yet another losing season. All I was saying is that this team looks better than they have in a long time and its unfortunate that people give up on them so easily. Did you give up on the Steelers during the 80s when we were a less than average squad? Did you say "screw the Steelers, when does baseball start, I give up." I mean, we are barely past the halfway point in the season. Thats like giving up on the Steelers when they are 5-4 going into week 10.

steelpride12
07-25-2012, 01:14 PM
Sucks with Comcast I cannot see today's game it's blacked out, looks like a good one 2-2 late game, Walker got a HR.

steelpride12
07-25-2012, 01:52 PM
3-2 Bucs let's get the W!

X-Terminator
07-25-2012, 04:28 PM
This.

X, We have all been through the same 2 decades of frustration (the older generation anyway). And I understand that people should remain realistic when talking about the Pirates and not sugarcoat what very well could be yet another losing season. All I was saying is that this team looks better than they have in a long time and its unfortunate that people give up on them so easily. Did you give up on the Steelers during the 80s when we were a less than average squad? Did you say "screw the Steelers, when does baseball start, I give up." I mean, we are barely past the halfway point in the season. Thats like giving up on the Steelers when they are 5-4 going into week 10.

Yeah, you guys are right. I was just pissed because they lost 2 games to a bottom-feeder that they should have easily beaten. I'm still skeptical and they could still shit the bed the rest of the season, but I'm not going to give up on them. Seeing the Pirates draw 32,000+ fans last night and 33,000+ fans today to a Wednesday afternoon 12:35 game kinda helps that, too. That is great to see. If those fans aren't going to abandon ship, then neither am I.

BTW, they did hang on to win 3-2 and finished with a 4-2 homestand. All things considered, that isn't bad at all.

Borski
07-25-2012, 05:49 PM
I read on the Bucs Dugout that Marte is being called up and joining the team at some point verses the Astros.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

steelerdude15
07-25-2012, 05:52 PM
Yeah, you guys are right. I was just pissed because they lost 2 games to a bottom-feeder that they should have easily beaten. I'm still skeptical and they could still shit the bed the rest of the season, but I'm not going to give up on them. Seeing the Pirates draw 32,000+ fans last night and 33,000+ fans today to a Wednesday afternoon 12:35 game kinda helps that, too. That is great to see. If those fans aren't going to abandon ship, then neither am I.

BTW, they did hang on to win 3-2 and finished with a 4-2 homestand. All things considered, that isn't bad at all.

Nope and one more thing everybody.... Guess who's coming up to join the big leagues....

Joel Henard ‏@JoelHenard

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports Starling Marte has been called up from AAA Indianapolis and will join the club Thursday in Houston.

X-Terminator
07-25-2012, 06:04 PM
Nope and one more thing everybody.... Guess who's coming up to join the big leagues....

Joel Henard ‏@JoelHenard

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports Starling Marte has been called up from AAA Indianapolis and will join the club Thursday in Houston.

Borski beat you to it, but anyway, I'm not sure this is a wise move right now. As much as he strikes out, he could get exposed easily in the big leagues right now. Pedro has been here for 3 years and he is still struggling with Ks...I don't know, I don't want to see the kid's confidence shattered. But he is a good talent, so let's see what happens.

BTW, the Bucs drew over 95,000 fans in this series. A weekday series. In July. Against the Cubs. I thought I'd never see the day.

steelerdude15
07-25-2012, 06:08 PM
Borski beat you to it, but anyway, I'm not sure this is a wise move right now. As much as he strikes out, he could get exposed easily in the big leagues right now. Pedro has been here for 3 years and he is still struggling with Ks...I don't know, I don't want to see the kid's confidence shattered. But he is a good talent, so let's see what happens.

BTW, the Bucs drew over 95,000 fans in this series. A weekday series. In July. Against the Cubs. I thought I'd never see the day.

That's insane.

steelpride12
07-26-2012, 01:02 PM
I read on the Bucs Dugout that Marte is being called up and joining the team at some point verses the Astros.

That sounds about right. I read an article in the Trib stating that Hurdle wanted him to get a few more games or reps in, but they were planning to calling him up hopefully before August.

steeldevil
07-26-2012, 03:00 PM
Reds ever gonna lose again? LOL

If they don't I may have to start hoping the Pirates fall apart. Which I really don't want to do...

steelpride12
07-26-2012, 03:02 PM
Reds ever gonna lose again? LOL

If they don't I may have to start hoping the Pirates fall apart. Which I really don't want to do...

Yes the Reds are sitting on 7 straight W's. maybe trying to prove a point with Votto out or just they are that damn good.

About Marte, it can't hurt to have the kid up. You have two possible outcomes, one he does well and becomes an instant upgrade to the team in the outfield and hitting production, or two, he falls under the pressure, produces an ample amount of strikeouts and the teams sends him back to AAA for more experience.

Borski
07-26-2012, 03:46 PM
1 year ago yesterday was the day Jerry Meals made that horrible call that sent our season into a downward spiral.

X-Terminator
07-26-2012, 04:32 PM
Yes the Reds are sitting on 7 straight W's. maybe trying to prove a point with Votto out or just they are that damn good.

About Marte, it can't hurt to have the kid up. You have two possible outcomes, one he does well and becomes an instant upgrade to the team in the outfield and hitting production, or two, he falls under the pressure, produces an ample amount of strikeouts and the teams sends him back to AAA for more experience.

Eventually the Reds will hit a rough patch. They won't keep this up forever. The thing that sucks is that they may have Votto back by the time the Pirates go to Cincy next week.

As for Marte, I'm not expecting him to be the "savior" so many Pirates fans think he is. Many of them overlook all of the Ks and the few walks and think it won't matter. Once ML pitchers get a book on him, it could be ugly. Again, we'll just wait and see.

steelpride12
07-26-2012, 06:13 PM
Eventually the Reds will hit a rough patch. They won't keep this up forever. The thing that sucks is that they may have Votto back by the time the Pirates go to Cincy next week.

As for Marte, I'm not expecting him to be the "savior" so many Pirates fans think he is. Many of them overlook all of the Ks and the few walks and think it won't matter. Once ML pitchers get a book on him, it could be ugly. Again, we'll just wait and see.
Yes they said only recently he broke out of a large slump where he was striking out 3/4's of his at bats. I truly won't be surprised if he does horrible when he comes up, but it's a learning curve, not our savior.

steelpride12
07-26-2012, 07:13 PM
3-0 Buccos in the first inning. WOW!!!!!! I'm not saying this is how it's going to be, but Starling Marte just scored a HR on his first at bat in the major leagues!

Now I know it's the loney Astros, but his first at-fucking-bat! :)

steelpride12
07-26-2012, 07:32 PM
Barmes get's a 2 run jack in the 2nd inning and it's 5-0 Buccos, this should be an interesting game.
Marte flies out...here come the haters.

steelerdude15
07-26-2012, 10:44 PM
How about Marte. His first pitch in the major leagues and he hits a home run. He ended up going two for four which is good. It was a good game even though it did get scary near the end.

X-Terminator
07-27-2012, 01:29 AM
This game shouldn't have even been close - the bats went to sleep after the 2nd inning. Killer instinct, guys! :director:

Great debut by Marte! :hatsoff: Doesn't get any better than leading off the game with a HR on the very first pitch you see in the majors. Can't get too excited over one game - we need to see how he adjusts when he struggles and when teams get a book on him. But no matter how his career ends up, he had a night he will never forget.

steelpride12
07-28-2012, 08:23 AM
Buccos win game 2 against the Astros 6-5 is amazing fashion! Of course the game tying RBI by Marte with the sac fly and the wild pitch brings Sutton in to take the lead! These guys still amaze me each game, never giving up, and it's paying off!

Gotta keep climbing the latter until Cincy decides to ever lose.

X-Terminator
07-28-2012, 11:24 PM
Pirates stumble their way to another win tonight. Getting really concerned about the lack of offense and timely hitting over the past 10 days, but somehow they're finding a way to win. Good thing they're playing against awful teams. Losing those 2 games to the Cubs really hurt, otherwise they'd still be tied because it's looking like the Reds will never lose another game.

Anyway, at 16 games over .500 at this point, it would take a collapse almost as bad as last season in order for them to not at least finish .500. They only need to win 23 of the final 62 games to end the streak - that's .370 baseball. I never rule it out, because it's the Pirates, and disappointment is their M.O. But with the leaders they have on this team, I think it's unlikely another collapse like that happens.

oneforthetoe
07-29-2012, 12:32 AM
Pirates stumble their way to another win tonight. Getting really concerned about the lack of offense and timely hitting over the past 10 days, but somehow they're finding a way to win. Good thing they're playing against awful teams. Losing those 2 games to the Cubs really hurt, otherwise they'd still be tied because it's looking like the Reds will never lose another game.

Anyway, at 16 games over .500 at this point, it would take a collapse almost as bad as last season in order for them to not at least finish .500. They only need to win 23 of the final 62 games to end the streak - that's .370 baseball. I never rule it out, because it's the Pirates, and disappointment is their M.O. But with the leaders they have on this team, I think it's unlikely another collapse like that happens.

I believe they were 1 for 17 in the series with R.I.S.P. - and they still swept the series. But yea they need to get better at that.

Edman
07-29-2012, 11:29 AM
The Reds are on a hot streak just like the Bucs were back in mid-July. Hot teams cool down eventually. We certainly did.

The Bucs' hot streak has long since fizzled out and now they're just riding it out. If they stay the course, they can and will catch the Reds. 2 games is not insurmountable. The Bucs just have to keep finding ways to win. They just have to keep working at it.

Besides the disappointing Scubs series, I think the Bucs are in good position going into August and eventually the bigtime series against the Reds, especially if they take this series today.

oneforthetoe
07-29-2012, 01:12 PM
The Reds are on a hot streak just like the Bucs were back in mid-July. Hot teams cool down eventually. We certainly did.

The Bucs' hot streak has long since fizzled out and now they're just riding it out. If they stay the course, they can and will catch the Reds. 2 games is not insurmountable. The Bucs just have to keep finding ways to win. They just have to keep working at it.

Besides the disappointing Scubs series, I think the Bucs are in good position going into August and eventually the bigtime series against the Reds, especially if they take this series today.

I agree but they have to play better when the comp gets better to make a serious run. At this point, they can probably get over .500 by beating up on the bottom of the barrel teams (which is an amazing thing when you think about how many teams used to do that to them), but a run at the playoffs and beyond will take improvement.

And yes, most of us would be thrilled if the Bucs just got over .500. But remember, baseball (hockey also) is a funny sport. There is no guarantee that we will be better, or even as good next year. Injuries and or a down season by a star (Cutch) can take you from good to not so much in a 2012 Philli minute.

So, let's make our run this year while the opportunity is there.

steelerdude15
07-29-2012, 05:18 PM
Even though they lost today, they still took three out of four so I can't complain. Marte did alright in his opening series, but once again, I'm not going to complain and I'm happy with what he's done so far. As mentioned before, there seems to be a little bit of a struggle with the batting as of recently, but they still seem to be pounding out homeruns. Off to play Chicago.

steelpride12
07-30-2012, 01:28 PM
I think we let the Astros win since they were riding at 12 game losing streak :lol: On to the Cubbies again, let's try not to take them lightly again and get 2-3 at worst!

And I am officially worried about J-Mac. He has lost all his control with his pitches and game. He is walking hitters at a furious rate. Ugh.

X-Terminator
07-30-2012, 01:41 PM
I think it might be time to shut J-Mac down for a start or 2 to get himself worked out. Correia can start in his place, assuming he doesn't get traded.

steelerdude15
07-30-2012, 03:08 PM
I think it might be time to shut J-Mac down for a start or 2 to get himself worked out. Correia can start in his place, assuming he doesn't get traded.

I agree. Since Correia wants to be traded, maybe we could trade him and a couple prospects and get a better starting pitcher.

steelerdude15
07-30-2012, 08:49 PM
Alright, I'm going to admit it, our starting pitching is starting to worry me. J-Mac hasn't been the same since the All-Star break and even though Bedard is pitching better, he still is struggling. Correia no longer wants to be a Pirate and other than the beginning of the 2011 season, he's never impressed me. The only two pitchers that are doing good are Karstens and Burnett. Wandy has only pitched one game as a Pirate so it's too soon to talk about him. Hitting also hasn't been the greatest, however, the team are still belting hrs. I'm not giving up in any form or fashion, but just a little worried.

X-Terminator
07-30-2012, 09:11 PM
Yeah, just when I start getting a little more confident in them, they play a game like this. I should have known better.

If they can't beat bad teams, then they may as well fold up the tents for the rest of the season. This is absolutely ridiculous.

steelerdude15
07-30-2012, 09:19 PM
Yeah, just when I start getting a little more confident in them, they play a game like this. I should have known better.

If they can't beat bad teams, then they may as well fold up the tents for the rest of the season. This is absolutely ridiculous.

The game tonight is extremely nerve racking, but we just did take three out of four against the Astros. On top of that, the Padres may hand the Reds a lost tonight which will help.

X-Terminator
07-30-2012, 09:29 PM
The game tonight is extremely nerve racking, but we just did take three out of four against the Astros. On top of that, the Padres may hand the Reds a lost tonight which will help.

Yeah, they took 3 of 4 from the Astros, but did they look good in any of them? Nope. Even the 5-1 game stunk when the bats decided to do jack shit after the 2nd inning.

Anyway, the Cubs' Reed Johnson was pulled from the game tonight and may have been traded to the Pirates, though 3 other teams were involved. We'll see, but he's not exactly a guy to get excited about.

steelerdude15
07-30-2012, 09:35 PM
Yeah, they took 3 of 4 from the Astros, but did they look good in any of them? Nope. Even the 5-1 game stunk when the bats decided to do jack shit after the 2nd inning.

Anyway, the Cubs' Reed Johnson was pulled from the game tonight and may have been traded to the Pirates, though 3 other teams were involved. We'll see, but he's not exactly a guy to get excited about.

I haven't heard anything on Reed. Do you have a link or was it on 93.7 The Fan?

Hindes204
07-30-2012, 09:35 PM
Wow......

steelerdude15
07-30-2012, 09:46 PM
Wow......

Our you saying wow because of our posts or how the Pirates did tonight?

Hindes204
07-30-2012, 09:57 PM
Our you saying wow because of our posts or how the Pirates did tonight?

Hahaha...I didn't read any posts, I came in here merely to write wow.

steelerdude15
07-30-2012, 10:14 PM
Hahaha...I didn't read any posts, I came in here merely to write wow.

I see. Wow wouldn't even describe tonight's game.

vader29
07-30-2012, 10:26 PM
At least the Reds finally lost one.

steelerdude15
07-30-2012, 11:49 PM
The Pirates seriously just made a horrible trade.

Pittsburgh Pirates ‏@Pirates

The @Pirates have acquired OF Travis Snider from the @BlueJays in exchange for RHP Brad Lincoln.

Snider hasn't done anything in majors while Lincoln has only given up two runs in the reliever position since April and has the lowest era. Fail. :doh:

For some reason, all the Blue Jays fans are pissed at their management for this trade. The Jays got a good deal, not the Pirates.

Borski
07-31-2012, 02:27 AM
I'm ok with it. the guy has some power. we'll see how he plays at PNC

X-Terminator
07-31-2012, 02:45 AM
The Pirates seriously just made a horrible trade.

The @Pirates have acquired OF Travis Snider from the @BlueJays in exchange for RHP Brad Lincoln.

Snider hasn't done anything in majors while Lincoln has only given up two runs in the reliever position since April and has the lowest era. Fail. :doh:

For some reason, all the Blue Jays fans are pissed at their management for this trade. The Jays got a good deal, not the Pirates.

Snider came up to the majors when he was just 20 years old - he was rushed similar to how Pedro was rushed. He has been raking big time at AAA - .335 avg, 13 HR, 56 RBI. He should have been playing every day by now, but wasn't given a chance by the Blue Jays' management. That's why Jays fans are pissed - he has a shitload of talent, is a great teammate, has a great work ethic and plays hard every day. Pirates fans are just upset because they gave up Lincoln for a young prospect, but they are not just getting any prospect, they're getting a legitimate ML talent. Plus, bullpen guys can be replaced, and it's no sure thing Lincoln will be anything more than a reliever and spot-starter.

Edman
07-31-2012, 11:43 AM
Just caught the results of last night's game.

Bedard is so utterly worthless. Anytime he starts it's a sure loss. Nothing ever goes right with him on the mound.

steelerdude15
07-31-2012, 12:27 PM
Snider came up to the majors when he was just 20 years old - he was rushed similar to how Pedro was rushed. He has been raking big time at AAA - .335 avg, 13 HR, 56 RBI. He should have been playing every day by now, but wasn't given a chance by the Blue Jays' management. That's why Jays fans are pissed - he has a shitload of talent, is a great teammate, has a great work ethic and plays hard every day. Pirates fans are just upset because they gave up Lincoln for a young prospect, but they are not just getting any prospect, they're getting a legitimate ML talent. Plus, bullpen guys can be replaced, and it's no sure thing Lincoln will be anything more than a reliever and spot-starter.

So you think this is a good trade? I mean, he seems to be struggling in the majors. Personally, I would have rather have seen Kevin get traded because he no longer wants to be on the team.

X-Terminator
07-31-2012, 05:04 PM
So you think this is a good trade? I mean, he seems to be struggling in the majors. Personally, I would have rather have seen Kevin get traded because he no longer wants to be on the team.

I'm saying to give the kid a chance, and don't act like other Pirates fans who seem to want him to walk the plank before he even suits up for a game. You could very well be right and he turns out to be a bust, but to label him that before he even plays a game isn't fair. I mean, the Pirates thought that about Aramis Ramirez and Jose Bautista, and look how their careers ended up?

They also made several other moves that I'm sure will get the hornet's nest stirred up again - they acquired Gaby Sanchez and a minor league pitcher from the Marlins for cash, and my vote as the worst deal of the day for them, picking up Chad Qualls from the Yankees for Casey McGehee. So basically they replace Lincoln with Qualls, who has been terrible this season. Good one there, Neal.

steelerdude15
07-31-2012, 05:26 PM
I'm saying to give the kid a chance, and don't act like other Pirates fans who seem to want him to walk the plank before he even suits up for a game. You could very well be right and he turns out to be a bust, but to label him that before he even plays a game isn't fair. I mean, the Pirates thought that about Aramis Ramirez and Jose Bautista, and look how their careers ended up?

They also made several other moves that I'm sure will get the hornet's nest stirred up again - they acquired Gaby Sanchez and a minor league pitcher from the Marlins for cash, and my vote as the worst deal of the day for them, picking up Chad Qualls from the Yankees for Casey McGehee. So basically they replace Lincoln with Qualls, who has been terrible this season. Good one there, Neal.
My friend who is a Yankees fan said that Qualls is a hit and miss person. Sometimes he's good, sometimes he's bad. I guess we'll see.

steelpride12
07-31-2012, 05:28 PM
This is a horrid nightmare. I don't mind see Lincoln go. He should much improvement this season, but since he already got replaced I know no pirates fans will even miss him. Now getting rid of McGehee for a pitcher with 1 game under his belt, ouch. Seems like more shit coming from Neal. Here we go again!

Borski
07-31-2012, 05:39 PM
We got Sanchez from Miami and therefor have no use for Mcgee. I dont think the trade matters much for either team.

steelerdude15
07-31-2012, 09:41 PM
F the Cubs...

Nadroj 20
07-31-2012, 09:42 PM
F the Cubs...

Wow so close that sucks

X-Terminator
07-31-2012, 11:00 PM
This is a horrid nightmare. I don't mind see Lincoln go. He should much improvement this season, but since he already got replaced I know no pirates fans will even miss him. Now getting rid of McGehee for a pitcher with 1 game under his belt, ouch. Seems like more shit coming from Neal. Here we go again!

Um, Chad Qualls has been around a long time. Problem is he has sucked out loud this season and is now on his third team this year alone. He hasn't always been awful, though.

BTW, way to step up, A.J.! Outstanding performance when it was sorely needed. He's not just an ace, he's a leader in every sense of the word.

steelerdude15
07-31-2012, 11:50 PM
Um, Chad Qualls has been around a long time. Problem is he has sucked out loud this season and is now on his third team this year alone. He hasn't always been awful, though.

BTW, way to step up, A.J.! Outstanding performance when it was sorely needed. He's not just an ace, he's a leader in every sense of the word.

Great leader, veteran, and teammate. I feel he's making a huge difference on this team with his experience and pitching this year. I hope he can keep it up himself and continue to help propel the pitching. Also, shout out to Neil for his grand slam in the first and sacrifice fly in the top of the seventh to add another run.

steelpride12
08-01-2012, 10:12 AM
Well we always have Burnett to fall back on because he is on fire!!! 13-3 in his last 19 wow! I'm just still holding onto hope that J-Mac get's out of his funk because we need our starting pitchers to be top notch from here on out.

steelerdude15
08-01-2012, 10:20 AM
Well we always have Burnett to fall back on because he is on fire!!! 13-3 in his last 19 wow! I'm just still holding onto hope that J-Mac get's out of his funk because we need our starting pitchers to be top notch from here on out.
I'm still confident in Karstens and I hope Wandy can make a huge difference.

Hindes204
08-01-2012, 04:03 PM
this is more like it

steelerdude15
08-01-2012, 04:39 PM
The bottom of the ninth is getting ugly FAST.

steelerdude15
08-01-2012, 04:40 PM
Good strikeout by the Hammer. Still two more outs to go.

steelerdude15
08-01-2012, 04:43 PM
Another good strikeout. Way to gain you're control back Joel.

polamalubeast
08-01-2012, 04:47 PM
60-44

Hindes204
08-01-2012, 04:53 PM
60-44

Only 3 other teams in the league with 60+ wins.......feels pretty good

steelerdude15
08-01-2012, 05:16 PM
After giving up four straight hits in the bottom of the ninth, Joel gained his control and got three strikeouts. However, our new guy Snyder had the ugliest and laziest dive I've ever seen out of an outfielder. Didn't like that dive one bit.

polamalubeast
08-01-2012, 05:24 PM
There remains 58 games to play and the pirates have four games ahead of the Dodgers and cards

They are in a very good position right now

it would be a great story!

steelerdude15
08-01-2012, 05:27 PM
There remains 58 games to play and the pirates have four games ahead of the Dodgers and cards

They are in a very good position right now

it would be a great story!

I'll just be happy with a winning season. Eighty-two and eighty is all I ask for.

polamalubeast
08-01-2012, 05:32 PM
I'll just be happy with a winning season. Eighty-two and eighty is all I ask for.

I understand, but it would be incredible if the pirates are in the playoffs

But it's important to enjoy the moment

steelerdude15
08-01-2012, 05:36 PM
I understand, but it would be incredible if the pirates are in the playoffs

But it's important to enjoy the moment

Yup, we can only hope for the best. It would be great to see them in the playoffs.

polamalubeast
08-01-2012, 05:38 PM
if the pirates finish the season with a awful record of 22-36, they will have a winning season!

Edman
08-01-2012, 07:14 PM
This series against the Reds will tell us what this team is made of. Probably the biggest series of the season thus far. Facing the Divison Leading Reds in Cinci down 2.5 of the lead. This is the type of series winners are made of.

But I think here is where the Reds start pulling away. I'd just be happy with one win out of three. If there is a winning season out of this squad then this season is a success.

steelerdude15
08-01-2012, 07:21 PM
This series against the Reds will tell us what this team is made of. Probably the biggest series of the season thus far. Facing the Divison Leading Reds in Cinci down 2.5 of the lead. This is the type of series winners are made of.

But I think here is where the Reds start pulling away. I'd just be happy with one win out of three. If there is a winning season out of this squad then this season is a success.

We'll see what happens come this weekend.

X-Terminator
08-01-2012, 09:35 PM
We'll see what happens come this weekend.

They're sending out Wandy, who the Reds have had success against...a struggling and clearly frazzled J-Mac and Bedard, who gave up 5 and 7 runs respectively to glorified AAA lineups Sunday and Monday. They're going to get swept, and it's going to be ugly.

steelpride12
08-03-2012, 09:02 AM
HUGE series against the Reds!!! I know we are all just hoping for a winning season, but my eyes are set for a playoff spot, maybe not the division title, but a Wild Card. Why not dream big, the Pirates have the chance and prove it each and every week. The Reds will be tough though, I'd be happy with 2-3, but I see us taking one, I hope I'm wrong though!

Hindes204
08-03-2012, 09:23 AM
The Reds are on fire...I would be absolutely stunned if we take one game in the whole series

steelerdude15
08-03-2012, 12:59 PM
Anything is possible...

steelpride12
08-03-2012, 01:36 PM
Anything is possible...
Yes even you randomly PMing me because you were drunk at college :lol:

steelerdude15
08-03-2012, 04:58 PM
Yes even you randomly PMing me because you were drunk at college :lol:

Those were the days... :chuckle: Hey wait a second, they weren't that long ago. :heh:

steelerdude15
08-03-2012, 08:45 PM
Well, it could have been worse. Let's hope for a victory tomorrow.

Edman
08-03-2012, 10:13 PM
Like I said, I'd just be happy if the Bucs salvage just one game. The Reds are cruising into the Stretch Run.

X-Terminator
08-03-2012, 11:19 PM
I doubt they will - I stand by them getting swept. Best thing for them and the fans to focus on is to get to win #81. They have 2 months to do it. BTW, didn't watch the game and won't be watching the other 2 either. Not interested in watching them be embarrassed.

oneforthetoe
08-04-2012, 06:50 PM
Piece of shit move by the ump there. Not that it probably matterin the outcome of the game. It was just one sided.

If we could just win tonight.

oneforthetoe
08-04-2012, 07:28 PM
Win or lose at least we are scraping tonight. And that includes J-Mac.

oneforthetoe
08-04-2012, 09:16 PM
ugh ... I'll repeat they scraped tonight. Even up until the final out with foul after foul. Just a win tomorrow would make this series something other than a disaster.

Edman
08-04-2012, 09:55 PM
It's not a matter of scrapping or not.

The Reds are by and far the best team in the league and our boys just aren't good enough to keep up. This is Cincy's division this year. Like X-T said, 82 wins is the most realistic goal we can ask from the Pirates. If they get wildcard, great. But a winning season is satisfactory. This team has to grow some more. Baby steps.

This year's team has made great strides over 2011, but they aren't there yet. Not yet. Their time will come.

oneforthetoe
08-04-2012, 10:30 PM
It's not a matter of scrapping or not.

The Reds are by and far the best team in the league and our boys just aren't good enough to keep up. This is Cincy's division this year. Like X-T said, 82 wins is the most realistic goal we can ask from the Pirates. If they get wildcard, great. But a winning season is satisfactory. This team has to grow some more. Baby steps.

This year's team has made great strides over 2011, but they aren't there yet. Not yet. Their time will come.

I don't disagree ... but I was just making the point about scrapping because I didn't think they did that last night. They looked overwhelmed in the first game ... not so much tonight.

touchdownward
08-04-2012, 10:33 PM
Chapman is one fast throwing, nasty SOB! The Cuban Missile seems untouchable.

X-Terminator
08-05-2012, 03:24 PM
OK, I had to tune in at around 4 because I figured the game was over, and was pleasantly surprised that the Pirates were winning and that A.J. was still in the game in the 9th. So they salvage one game out of the series. A.J. = stopper. Nothing more needs to be said. Dude has been money all season long.

polamalubeast
08-05-2012, 03:27 PM
14-3 for Burnett....This is crazy!!!!!

steelerdude15
08-05-2012, 03:58 PM
OK, I had to tune in at around 4 because I figured the game was over, and was pleasantly surprised that the Pirates were winning and that A.J. was still in the game in the 9th. So they salvage one game out of the series. A.J. = stopper. Nothing more needs to be said. Dude has been money all season long.

A.J. has pitched extremely well this year and his last two games, he's been lights out. I have been warned by Yankees fans that he's good for the first year and will fall apart after that, but we'll see. Like I said before, he's been lights out majority of this year. I hope he can keep it up for the rest of the year. Also, the bats were alive the past two games, but the bats were a little bit more lively for the Reds yesterday. We play the Reds in two more series this year and hopefully we can win them. Back to Pittsburgh to take on the D-backs.

oneforthetoe
08-05-2012, 04:00 PM

That is the biggest difference,. We can talk about cutches year, or the increased power all the live long day. However, the biggest difference is having a true stopper as a pitcher. What are the chances the bucs salvage a game if A.J. had not been moved up?

Count Steeler
08-05-2012, 04:02 PM
A.J. has pitched extremely well this year and his last two games, he's been lights out. I have been warned by Yankees fans that he's good for the first year and will fall apart after that, but we'll see. Like I said before, he's been lights out majority of this year. I hope he can keep it up for the rest of the year. Also, the bats were alive the past two games, but the bats were a little bit more lively for the Reds yesterday. We play the Reds in two more series this year and hopefully we can win them. Back to Pittsburgh to take on the D-backs.

I've been thinking about this. It could be because he was the #2 at best on the Yankees and the Jays. Maybe now he sees himself as the ace of the staff and he is pushing himself a little harder. Will be interesting to see how he finishes this year out. Right now, he may be the best pitcher in MLB.

steelerdude15
08-05-2012, 04:13 PM
I've been thinking about this. It could be because he was the #2 at best on the Yankees and the Jays. Maybe now he sees himself as the ace of the staff and he is pushing himself a little harder. Will be interesting to see how he finishes this year out. Right now, he may be the best pitcher in MLB.

Could possibly be. However, you guys and the Yankees are in the hardest division in all of baseball. Maybe playing in that hard of a division got to him.

Count Steeler
08-05-2012, 04:17 PM
Could possibly be. However, you guys and the Yankees are in the hardest division in all of baseball. Maybe playing in that hard of a division got to him.

Halladay tried to take him under his wing and pass on the work ethic that Halladay has. (BTW, sure miss the Doc.) It worked for AJ for a while, but then he got off track. AJ definitely has some good pitches, just needs to keep his head in the game.

steelerdude15
08-05-2012, 04:21 PM
Halladay tried to take him under his wing and pass on the work ethic that Halladay has. (BTW, sure miss the Doc.) It worked for AJ for a while, but then he got off track. AJ definitely has some good pitches, just needs to keep his head in the game.

Which he seems to be doing. Maybe being the number one pitcher is a good thing, maybe being a leader for this team is helping him. Its hard to say, but I hope he keeps it up.

X-Terminator
08-05-2012, 05:38 PM

Some guys just can't handle the pressure of playing in New York, where even the smallest thing gets blown up to ridiculous proportions by the media. I think that was his problem. No such problem here in Pittsburgh. He actually wanted to come here and has been happy since day one. And a happy player makes for a successful one more often than not.

Count Steeler
08-05-2012, 06:21 PM
Some guys just can't handle the pressure of playing in New York, where even the smallest thing gets blown up to ridiculous proportions by the media. I think that was his problem. No such problem here in Pittsburgh. He actually wanted to come here and has been happy since day one. And a happy player makes for a successful one more often than not.

I can agree with New York, but I don't think there was as much pressure in Toronto. And he wasn't traded here, he signed as a free agent. Whatever, the explanation, I am glad he is performing this well for the Pirates.

steelpride12
08-05-2012, 06:30 PM
I remember when Yankee fans wished us luck with Burnett telling us his time was done and he would be a bust. Let's just say no Yankee starter has 14 wins.

D-backs up next, still gotta be in our A game against them as they are fighting for the wild card as well.

steelpride12
08-06-2012, 01:23 PM
D-backs tonight! Pretty sad after 1 day off I miss Buccos baseball. Me and the girl are heading to Wednesday game if anyone else is or wants to head down. Sadly I just read Correia will get the start the day we go, ugh I just hope he brings his form back from last season, but the fact that he doesn't even wanna be here hurts that idea.

Borski
08-07-2012, 12:11 AM
D-backs tonight! Pretty sad after 1 day off I miss Buccos baseball. Me and the girl are heading to Wednesday game if anyone else is or wants to head down. Sadly I just read Correia will get the start the day we go, ugh I just hope he brings his form back from last season, but the fact that he doesn't even wanna be here hurts that idea.

If he wants his starting job back he better play lights out. hopefully he has this mentality when you go.

steelpride12
08-07-2012, 12:29 AM
A great win for the Bucs tonight. Each game our starters do well it breathe a huge sigh of relief and Bedard pitched well! The offense wasn't perfect, but did just enough to get the win and do it in style. The Reds lost to the Brewers tonight which helps our cause, but baby all I can say is keep winning!

steelerdude15
08-07-2012, 04:52 PM
Last night was a good win. Cutch's base running, Marte's rocket of a throw, and Bedard's pitching were definitely the highlights of the game. Hoping for a win tonight with Karstens pitching!

steelpride12
08-08-2012, 09:33 AM
Ouch loss last night, a close game until the 7th when the D-Backs jumped to a 10-4 lead when it was 4-3 Bucs, oh well. I'm off to the game tonight hoping Correia can turn it around and get a W.

steelerdude15
08-08-2012, 11:28 AM
Ouch loss last night, a close game until the 7th when the D-Backs jumped to a 10-4 lead when it was 4-3 Bucs, oh well. I'm off to the game tonight hoping Correia can turn it around and get a W.

Have fun! Hopefully the Bucs can make up for last night with a win tonight.

steelpride12
08-08-2012, 01:14 PM
Have fun! Hopefully the Bucs can make up for last night with a win tonight.
I hope dude we are up against a tough pitcher compared to a slumping Correia.

X-Terminator
08-08-2012, 01:46 PM
I hope dude we are up against a tough pitcher compared to a slumping Correia.

Correia won 6 starts in a row before he was demoted. However, after last night's debacle, I'm not expecting much excitement for you tonight. They lost that game last night because of their season-long inability to get clutch hits with RISP. They could have had a 3-4 run lead or more in the 8th last night and possibly cruised to another win, rather than risk Grilli not being able to hold a 1-run lead. It's ridiculous, and quite frankly I'm sick of it. It's a freaking miracle they are still 15 games over .500 as bad as that's been all season.

Edman
08-08-2012, 10:32 PM
Another stumbler/bumbler win. Bucs win despite committing FOUR ERRORS.

Maybe their fortunes are changing after all.

steelpride12
08-08-2012, 10:34 PM
Bucs pulled out the win tonight thanks to some pretty impressive offense. Mercer replaced Barmes and looked good and had a single HR. I'd rather see him play, but I know Barmes is better on defense, but horrible on offense.

The D by the way tonight was God Awful!!! 4 total errors and I think 2-3 were Alvarez's, he just couldn't field a ground ball to save his life and he is slumping on offense as well, either way The Hammer came in and closed the deal.

Since I'm at my girlfriends in Wexford for the weekend we may just go again tomorrow :)

salamander
08-08-2012, 10:46 PM
Bucs pulled out the win tonight thanks to some pretty impressive offense. Mercer replaced Barmes and looked good and had a single HR. I'd rather see him play, but I know Barmes is better on defense, but horrible on offense.

The D by the way tonight was God Awful!!! 4 total errors and I think 2-3 were Alvarez's, he just couldn't field a ground ball to save his life and he is slumping on offense as well, either way The Hammer came in and closed the deal.

Since I'm at my girlfriends in Wexford for the weekend we may just go again tomorrow :)

Tell Amber that everyone at SU says hi :lol:

steelerdude15
08-08-2012, 11:23 PM
Good win by the Bucs tonight. Yeah, I was surprised to see four errors. I knew Pedro had one. Anyways, another win and now we're only two and a half games behind the Reds for first place.

oneforthetoe
08-08-2012, 11:45 PM
Query for those who post here? At what point in the season is finishing 82 and 80 no longer good enough? I mean, if the "bucs" are 15 games over .500 in two weeks, would anybody really consider just being above .500 a success?

At this point, to me, they need to play close to .500 the rest of the year. If they do that, they will be in the wildcard race close to the end. They probably wouldn't make it, but at the least they would be in the discussion. I don't believe they have to make the playoffs, but if they drop 20 of the last 30 games, or something akin to that, I don't think I would be satisfied, save for if they lost "cutch" or Burnett or some other disaster.

steelerdude15
08-09-2012, 12:31 AM
I personally would be happy with just a winning season and not playing in the playoffs. If they had just a winning season, it would be a great way to start to build upon something in which the team would continue to get better as the years go on. I guess it would be a good way to help build momentum and also maybe make them want to play even better the next to make the playoffs.

X-Terminator
08-09-2012, 12:35 AM
For me, win #81 is the goal, because that is the number that ends the streak. Everything else is just gravy.

Borski
08-09-2012, 06:14 AM
I'm hoping for the playoffs, of course I will be happy with breaking the streak but what better way to break it then with a playoff run! Lets Go Bucs!

steelpride12
08-09-2012, 09:46 AM
Query for those who post here? At what point in the season is finishing 82 and 80 no longer good enough? I mean, if the "bucs" are 15 games over .500 in two weeks, would anybody really consider just being above .500 a success?

At this point, to me, they need to play close to .500 the rest of the year. If they do that, they will be in the wildcard race close to the end. They probably wouldn't make it, but at the least they would be in the discussion. I don't believe they have to make the playoffs, but if they drop 20 of the last 30 games, or something akin to that, I don't think I would be satisfied, save for if they lost "cutch" or Burnett or some other disaster.
To be honest of course im hoping for win #81 and we be damn proud of it, but since theyre n the playoff race why not hope for a wild Card.

I'll be at today's game as well, why not 2 in a row :)

steelpride12
08-09-2012, 09:47 AM
Tell Amber that everyone at SU says hi :lol:

OK Salvatore, will do :lol:

salamander
08-09-2012, 09:58 AM
OK Salvatore, will do :lol:

Sounds good, Dakota :chuckle:

polamalubeast
08-09-2012, 10:29 AM
Right now,the pirates have the 5th best record in baseball and they have only one win less than the Yankees!

This is unbelievable!!!!

polamalubeast
08-09-2012, 10:31 AM
He remains 52 games in the season and maybe more for the pirates!!!

steelpride12
08-09-2012, 11:38 AM
Look at the picture from our seats WOW :)

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/2586/photork.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/528/photork.jpg/)

steelerdude15
08-09-2012, 11:47 AM

http://img528.imageshack.us/img528/2586/photork.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/528/photork.jpg/)

That's a nice picture!

salamander
08-09-2012, 05:17 PM

That's gotta be one of the best views in baseball.

Chidi29
08-09-2012, 06:08 PM
Blah. Bullpen struggles again.

X-Terminator
08-09-2012, 06:15 PM
Blah. Bullpen struggles again.

The entire team struggled. That was an awful series despite the split. Pitching was awful, offense was awful, defense reminded me of the Keystone Cops. They had better get that shit cleaned up REAL fast, because that is completely unacceptable from a team allegedly in a pennant race.

steelerdude15
08-09-2012, 10:01 PM
I figured that this series was going to split and the D-backs weren't going to make it easy. They also are playing to be the NL West champs so they're going to fight till the end.

salamander
08-10-2012, 08:51 PM
Haven't been able to watch too many games this year but I've been able to catch tonight's game... started off great but then the Bucs pissed away a 7-1 lead and now are down 9-8 in the 7th.

X-Terminator
08-10-2012, 09:46 PM
Time to face the facts, folks. The Pirates are done. They do not know how to win games late in the season in a pennant chase where you absolutely cannot afford to lose series. Meanwhile, all of the teams they are battling - the Reds, Dodgers, Braves and Cards - all have pennant race experience out the wazoo. And it's going to end up burying this team for good. At this point, the best anyone can hope for is that they finish above .500, which isn't exactly etched in stone either. There was absolutely no excuse for losing this game tonight. None.

steelerdude15
08-11-2012, 01:20 AM
Not going to lie, I'm not happy about tonight at all. I hate the fact that they had a seven to one lead and then blew that lead so easily. I think when it boils down to it, I say its time to sit J-mac. He hasn't been the same since the all-star break and continue to loses. This then leads me to my next point and only complaint about Hurdle, he doesn't know when to pull his starter. I've been saying this ever since he started managing the Pirates and its still my only complaint I have. He keeps the starter in too long and when they reach a point, they start allowing run after run and he doesn't go to the bullpen. To add to this, the Padres have now won ten straight in PNC Park. That's pretty sad on account the Padres have been one of the worst teams in the NL for quite a while. Forget making it to the playoffs or winning the division, all I want is for the Steelers to have winning record. That's all I want, baby steps. I really hope that this team can kinda get back on track. Let's hope that Pedro gets hot again, Cutch continues to do his thing even though he went zero for four tonight (same with Walker), and hopefully we have the more offensively powered McKenry starting more than Barajas.

vader29
08-11-2012, 07:56 AM
Forget making it to the playoffs or winning the division, all I want is for the Steelers to have winning record.

Screw that, it's Super Bowl or bust for me! :chuckle:

steelpride12
08-11-2012, 08:03 AM
Ouch on that game last night. I was really hoping to finally see the Bucs get a blowout win and start getting on winning form again, but a 7-1 lead blown is pretty sad I don't care what team you're playing for. I'm still hoping for a winning season and yes even a playoff spot.

steelerdude15
08-11-2012, 08:19 PM
Screw that, it's Super Bowl or bust for me! :chuckle:

Oops, I meant Pirates. :chuckle:

X-Terminator
08-12-2012, 12:35 AM
I'm going to say it and deal with the flames later. If the Pirates have another epic collapse this year - I'm predicting they will after the piles of garbage they've put out the past 3 days - then both Hurdle and Huntington need to be given their pink slips the very next day, and I seriously hope MLB forces Baghdad Bob Nutting to sell the team. I'm so sick and tired of being sold a lemon by this franchise each and every damn season. Get some people in here who not only understand the game, but are willing to spend money to put a winner on the field.

Borski
08-12-2012, 05:07 AM
I'm not ready to give up on them, they haven't looked good the past few says but that doesn't mean the season is over. I'll stick with em til the end.

X-Terminator
08-12-2012, 04:34 PM
Well, they managed to salvage one game today, coming back from a 5-0 deficit to win 11-5. Still a very, very disappointing series overall. Lots of absolutely awful play and pitching this weekend in an important series.

steelerdude15
08-13-2012, 01:19 PM
This is a great video I think you all will like about Neil Walker and Clemente:

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=8255199

steelpride12
08-15-2012, 06:50 PM
Welp the Bucs are slipping a bit. 11-0 blowout last night to the Dodgers ouch. The pitching is losing it's consistency and I hate to say it: but I feel this is looking a tad like last seasons fallout, but I hope I am wrong and of course still believe this team can come out with a winning record and possibly more.

Seems via Twitter Burnett had a players only meeting today and I truly hope this was a huge wake up call and a confidence booster the Bucs need! 1-1 so far in tonights game, let's face it....we gotta win.

X-Terminator
08-15-2012, 08:56 PM
Looks like it didn't help one iota - losing 9-3 right now. Yep, definitely deja vu all over again. At this rate, they'll be lucky to finish with a winning record.

steelerdude15
08-16-2012, 06:51 PM
A great and much needed win today by the Bucs. G.I. Jones with two homeruns, Barmes had a couple of RBIs, and I believe Barajas went four for four. A.J. also got his fifteenth win of the season. Also, Kemp and their manager were thrown out of the game if anyone didn't see. The video is on the highlights of the game if you go to either MLB.com or Pirates.com.

oneforthetoe
08-16-2012, 09:36 PM
I love AJ. He is exactly what the Pirates have been missing. It's not just that he wants to win and hates losing (who doesn't?). No, he turns into a caged animal when he gets frustrated with how things are going. It's not enough to feel bad about losing. It has to eat you up inside before you can make a change.

Oh, and can we at least send Pedro's third base defense back to little league where it belongs?

vader29
08-16-2012, 10:43 PM
I love AJ. He is exactly what the Pirates have been missing.

Loved it when he struck out Ramirez his next at bat after hittting the home run and yelled at him to sit the f down. :applaudit:

X-Terminator
08-17-2012, 12:32 AM
Loved it when he struck out Ramirez his next at bat after hittting the home run and yelled at him to sit the f down. :applaudit:

That was classic. He endeared himself to every Pirates fan when he did that. How else can a pitcher get a standing ovation after he just gave up 6 runs? :lol: Hanley Ramirez is a punk and always has been. LA deserves him.

steelpride12
08-17-2012, 08:34 AM
Well we pulled out a win yesterday because Burnett is unstoppable! GI Jones needs to keep swinging that bat and Alvarez once again showed signs of life!

It's a struggle and we have the BIGGEST series coming up for the Bucs. In the #2 Wild Card spot and the Cards are only 1/2 behind them, this could make or break the rest of the season.

steeldevil
08-17-2012, 05:23 PM
It was a joke that Kemp got thrown out of that game for cheering on his teammate. lol

Big series this weekend. Go Cardinals!

X-Terminator
08-17-2012, 05:54 PM
It was a joke that Kemp got thrown out of that game for cheering on his teammate. lol

Big series this weekend. Go Cardinals!

Yeah, that was complete bullshit. But as usual, absolutely nothing will happen to the umpire, which has gone past the point of ridiculousness.

Anyway, this series and next weekend's series in here in the Burgh will tell a lot about both teams. Personally, I'm not expecting the Pirates to do very well, just hoping they can win 1 of the 3 games since they will not have to face Lohse or Wainwright this series.

steeldevil
08-17-2012, 06:04 PM
Yeah, that was complete bullshit. But as usual, absolutely nothing will happen to the umpire, which has gone past the point of ridiculousness.

Anyway, this series and next weekend's series in here in the Burgh will tell a lot about both teams. Personally, I'm not expecting the Pirates to do very well, just hoping they can win 1 of the 3 games since they will not have to face Lohse or Wainwright this series.

Baseball needs to change the way it holds the umpire in such high regards. Forever the ump has not been allowed to be questioned and has total control over calls and ejections. He can totally change the game or series based on how he decides to warrant ejections. Replay should be added too for HR or foul ball calls. It wouldn't slow the game down too long.

steelpride12
08-17-2012, 08:12 PM
2-0 Bucs in the bottom of the 4th. SO far McDonald looks fantastic. Already 5 strikeouts and he is in the zone and pitching with control! Gotta keep this up, but an early win against the Cards would be big.

steelpride12
08-17-2012, 08:45 PM
2 straight Buccos games with ejections. Now the Cards 3rd base coach is thrown out. It was a bad strike call I'll agree there.

steelerdude15
08-17-2012, 08:50 PM
2 straight Buccos games with ejections. Now the Cards 3rd base coach is thrown out. It was a bad strike call I'll agree there.

What happened?

steelpride12
08-17-2012, 08:52 PM
What happened?
McDonald threw a pitch outside the strike zone and the ump called it strike 3 and the third base coach ran over and screamed at the ump till he got booted.

steelerdude15
08-17-2012, 09:04 PM
McDonald threw a pitch outside the strike zone and the ump called it strike 3 and the third base coach ran over and screamed at the ump till he got booted.

Thanks for letting me know.

steelpride12
08-18-2012, 07:55 AM
Bucs take the first of the series, huge win! McDonald looked like his old form through six, but did have control issues throughout. Can't be sitting on 2 wins and expect to take the series though.

X-Terminator
08-18-2012, 11:48 AM
McDonald walked 3, but like he did early in the season, he was able to work around them. It also didn't hurt that he had a pretty big strike zone to work with - he was getting the outside corner all night. Which, of course, is why Oquendo was tossed for arguing balls and strikes. At any rate, it was a big win...hopefully they can pick up the series win this afternoon (4:05 start for those who don't know, and it's a national TV game on FOX).

oneforthetoe
08-18-2012, 01:15 PM
Hopefully, J-Mac is back. But wow, when he loses it he loses it quick. I know he needs the confidence of being able to pitch out of jams. Still, Hurdle needs a relative quick hook with J-Mac because 7 runs can come in a hurry.

X-Terminator
08-18-2012, 09:13 PM
And the Pirates lose yet another game they should have won. Hurdle needs to stop pissing around when his starter crumbles, and someone needs to file an APB on Cutch, who has been MIA with RISP for the better part of a month. The team was 1-14 today with RISP, had the bases loaded twice with less than 2 out and got a grand total of 1 run out of it. That is not winning baseball. If they want their winning season, they cannot lose games like this.

Godfather
08-19-2012, 05:43 PM
16th inning.

I just hope we don't lose this game on a horrible call...

X-Terminator
08-19-2012, 07:57 PM
16th inning.

I just hope we don't lose this game on a horrible call...

They didn't. Bucs win 6-3 in 19 innings. Wandy Rodriguez pitched the final 2 innings to pick up his first win as a Pirate. Pedro Alvarez hit the go-ahead HR and McCutchen salted it away with a 2-run single. Probably the biggest win in the last 19 years.

polamalubeast
08-19-2012, 10:43 PM
2 win on 3 games vs the cardinals on the road....this is very good

The pirates are now 66-53 this season and the season is a great success right now

X-Terminator
08-19-2012, 10:45 PM
67-54, actually.

steelerdude15
08-19-2012, 11:04 PM
This was a defensive battle today. Defense was great, especially from Harrison who made some great saves at second base and had a great catch in the outfield in the nineteenth inning. Karstens pitched well and even had a couple of nine pitch innings. Great to see Pedro get another homerun and Cutch helping with his hit to score two more runs. Off to San Diego.

oneforthetoe
08-19-2012, 11:36 PM
They didn't. Bucs win 6-3 in 19 innings. Wandy Rodriguez pitched the final 2 innings to pick up his first win as a Pirate. Pedro Alvarez hit the go-ahead HR and McCutchen salted it away with a 2-run single. Probably the biggest win in the last 19 years.

I think time will tell if it is the biggest win in 19 years. I will say, however, that I thought if they lose this game the season will crumble just like it did after the Braves game last year. So, if nothing else, they may have saved this season.

X-Terminator
08-20-2012, 01:11 AM
I think time will tell if it is the biggest win in 19 years. I will say, however, that I thought if they lose this game the season will crumble just like it did after the Braves game last year. So, if nothing else, they may have saved this season.

That could still happen even though they won tonight. You're right, time will tell on whether or not this is the biggest win in 19 years, but it was a damn important one. They absolutely could not afford to lose it.

BTW, special shout-out to Fort McKenry for catching all 19 innings. You definitely deserve a nice, cold beer my friend!

Godfather
08-20-2012, 09:26 AM
Well, we're probably going to be too exhausted to beat the Padres tonight, but hopefully we can take the next two.

The important thing is we only have to be a hair better than the Lastros the rest of the way, and we have a winning season.

steelpride12
08-20-2012, 12:01 PM
Hell of a win, and a damn important one! It could have been the difference between a late season melt down like last season or possible the biggest motivation booster they could use! Time will only tell how the Pirates response after yesterday!

polamalubeast
08-20-2012, 12:05 PM
right now,this is not the same old pirates!!!

X-Terminator
08-20-2012, 04:38 PM
Kevin Correia will get the start tonight after pitching 2 innings yesterday. He actually walked into the clubhouse after the game yesterday and volunteered to do it. Good job by him - shows that he really is a team player who wants to win and isn't pouting too much about being demoted again. Also, Justin Wilson (he of 2 no-hitters in AAA this season) and Kyle McPherson were recalled from Indy - Juan Cruz was DFA'd and Jordy Mercer placed on paternity leave to make room for them. Chad Qualls also returns from the bereavement list and will be available out of the bullpen. Chris Resop and Jared Hughes are unavailable tonight.

steelpride12
08-20-2012, 04:44 PM
The next few series will show how the Pirates react after yesterday's 19 inning game. Will they just continue to play mediocre ball, maybe still play sub-par baseball and slip in the standings or will yesterday be a HUGE confidence booster and give them the morale they need to keep winning games.

X-Terminator
08-22-2012, 01:17 AM
Looks like that 19-inning win meant absolutely nothing. Lost the first 2 games to that sad ass Padres team. Great job...just tremendous. Every time I start to believe in them, they completely shit the bed. They aren't any different than last season's team.

Pirates...if you don't do anything else this season, please at least get to 82 wins. Do NOT fuck up and blow that, or you will be dead to me for a good long time.

Borski
08-22-2012, 06:00 AM
The 2 losses to the padres dont suprise me, everyone looks spent after that 19 inning game. hopefully after their off day on Thursday they will come back rejuvenated. it might be benifitall to rest some guys an extra day, like McCutch. I'd take another loss to the Padres if it ment being well rested and ready to play after that.

X-Terminator
08-22-2012, 10:01 PM
Swept today, getting just 4 hits and 2 runs against a pitcher who not too long ago was seen giving up 3 runs to the Washington Wild Things in the freaking Frontier League. Yeah, I think we can safely say that 19-inning win meant nothing...except the beginning of yet another historic collapse. It just took 3 weeks longer this season.

Oh well, at least the Steelers are back in action, because the Bucs are done.

steelerdude15
08-22-2012, 10:10 PM
For some odd reason, the Padres have owned the Pirates which is extremely frustrating. The Pirates have gone 3-18 in the last twenty-one games against the Padres. I could not give you a reason why, but the Padres have just put the Pirates to shame. Hopefully, that could change starting next year. The Pirates are coming home to player the Brewers who haven't not played well on the road. I'm hoping the Pirates can take this series.

steelerdude15
08-23-2012, 12:51 PM
Pirates' interleague 'rival' slated to be Tigers

Major League Baseball will release its 2013 schedule in the next few weeks. It is expected that NL Central teams will face AL West clubs in interleague play next season.

According to an MLB official who has seen an advance copy of the schedule, the Pirates’ annual “natural rival” in interleague play is the Detroit Tigers. In the past, the Pirates have lobbied for an annual series against Cleveland, but the Indians already have a rivalry series against Cincinnati.

The Pirates are 15-18 against the Tigers since interleague play began in 1997, and the teams have squared off each of the past four seasons. This year the teams split six games, with the Pirates winning two of three at home.

Next year, the Houston Astros will move from the NL Central to the AL West. The Pirates last played the Los Angeles Angels and Seattle Mariners in 2007 and the Texas Rangers and the Oakland A’s in 2010 (away). The Rangers played in Pittsburgh in 2007, the Angels and Mariners have not been here since 2004 and the A’s last visited PNC Park in 2002.

Read More: http://triblive.com/sports/pirates/2453491-85/pirates-interleague-teams-games-central-tigers-west-2007-angels-annual

I think it would be exciting to see a rivalry with a team not in the NL and this is also manager Jim Leyland who of course helped bring the Pirates from mediocrity of the mid eighties to one of the best in the early nineties. Also, I had no clue the Astros were not only switching divisions, but going to the AL as well.

Hindes204
08-23-2012, 03:31 PM
Also, I had no clue the Astros were not only switching divisions, but going to the AL as well.

Its to even the league out, someone had to move there. We are the only division in the league with 6 teams and AL West only has 4 teams. Every other division in the league has 5.

X-Terminator
08-23-2012, 03:39 PM
Well, bring it on! There really isn't anyone else other than Cleveland who could be their natural AL rival, so this works for me. Plus, Detroit is an easy drive from Pittsburgh if I ever want to take in a game there.

steelerdude15
08-23-2012, 04:52 PM
Didn't see this coming:

RHP Juan Cruz cleared outright waivers, refused his assignment to Triple-A and has been released by the organization.

steelpride12
08-23-2012, 07:22 PM
Well damn, not been looking good for the Bucs... Just hope some sort of turnaround comes along. They have come this far I just can't see them or myself hanging the hat up just yet.

oneforthetoe
08-23-2012, 11:37 PM
I think much will be told in the next 9 games. With three against St Louis and 6 against the Brew- crew we have to come out with 5 wins. A month ago that would not seem all that big of a deal , but now? Yes, I know we have 13 games left vs terrible Houston and Chi-town, but if we are 10+ games behind and under ten games over .500, it is going to be too little too late I fear. Plus, the way we are playing lately, no game is a gimme. We are not catching the Reds, but we need to hold our own to have any shot at the wildcard, at this point even the .500 mark.

X-Terminator
08-24-2012, 04:28 PM
Let's see...Jon Lester, Jacoby Ellsbury and Adrian Gonzalez all on waivers today. The Pirates claim...Hisanori Takahashi, a Japanese pitcher with an 0-3 record and a 4.93 ERA with the Angels this season. The Dodgers claimed Gonzalez. Proving once again that this franchise has absolutely NO INTENTION of winning. I SO wish Cheapskate Bob would sell the damn team...I'm sick of the Pirates passing on quality players so the owner can line his pockets.

Godfather
08-24-2012, 07:56 PM
Its to even the league out, someone had to move there. We are the only division in the league with 6 teams and AL West only has 4 teams. Every other division in the league has 5.

Another idiotic idea from Bum Selig. First, there is no reason for the leagues to have the same number of teams. MLB did just fine from 1977-1992 and 1998-2012 with unbalanced leagues.

And if you are going to go to 15 teams in each league, the Nats are the team that should move. Washington has a very long tradition as an American League city. And the Nats haven't been good enough since the move to build any big time division rivalries.

steelpride12
08-25-2012, 08:09 AM
Well it was fun while it lasted guys, see you next season...ugh.

X-Terminator
08-25-2012, 01:22 PM
Well it was fun while it lasted guys, see you next season...ugh.

I honestly don't care anymore. All they've shown me is that they are no different than last season or any of the prior 18 seasons, and they will be hard-pressed to get anyone to believe in them again no matter what they do.

steelpride12
08-25-2012, 02:36 PM
I honestly don't care anymore. All they've shown me is that they are no different than last season or any of the prior 18 seasons, and they will be hard-pressed to get anyone to believe in them again no matter what they do.

I'm not that bad off I just know this team struggles all because of fucking Nutting. This team tries their best and I see it and will be a die hard Buccos fan till I die.

steelerdude15
08-25-2012, 10:12 PM
Good to see the Pirates snap a four game losing streak and get to ten games over five hundred!

steeldevil
08-25-2012, 10:27 PM
Well I really hope the Pirates can hold on to a winning season, but I also hope they have had their hands on that wildcard for the last time.

steelpride12
08-26-2012, 04:53 PM
a good 4-0 win last night and a 7-0 loss today, hmmm.

Borski
08-26-2012, 06:22 PM
Haven't played well for awhile, but I still have hope they can heat up again down the stretch. If not, at least get to .500

Hindes204
08-26-2012, 06:30 PM
As I said months ago, I'll be excited if they hit .500, playoffs was never really in my hopes for this team....just hit that .500 mark, break the streak, and move on to next year

steelerdude15
08-26-2012, 06:38 PM
As I've mentioned earlier, I don't care about winning the division or even making the playoffs, I just want a winning record. It doesn't have to be anything special, just 82-80. There definitely has to be change coming this off-season.

X-Terminator
08-26-2012, 08:32 PM
As I've mentioned earlier, I don't care about winning the division or even making the playoffs, I just want a winning record. It doesn't have to be anything special, just 82-80. There definitely has to be change coming this off-season.

Upgrading their starting pitching after A.J., J-Mac and Karstens would be a good start. Kyle Lohse is a FA after this season, and the Cards have pretty much told him to move on. Come on Cheapskate Bob - back up your promise and open up your wallet. Put Lohse in that rotation, and you have at least 3 quality pitchers to hang your hat on:

A.J.
Lohse
J-Mac
Karstens
Wandy

They win at least 90 games with that rotation even if they don't get another bat. Also gives Gerrit Cole a chance at a full season at AAA before he's ready to go in 2014...unless of course he blows everyone away. Then dump Wandy and insert him into the rotation.

As for this season, though...as I said, I pretty much don't care anymore. After the Cards and Brewers, they have 13 games against the Astros and Cubs. If they can't find a way to win at least 9 of those games, then their chances at a winning season are pretty much kaput, and both Hurdle and Huntington are shown the door. I'd probably fire both of them anyway, even if they salvage a winning season.

steelerdude15
08-26-2012, 10:32 PM
Upgrading their starting pitching after A.J., J-Mac and Karstens would be a good start. Kyle Lohse is a FA after this season, and the Cards have pretty much told him to move on. Come on Cheapskate Bob - back up your promise and open up your wallet. Put Lohse in that rotation, and you have at least 3 quality pitchers to hang your hat on:

A.J.
Lohse
J-Mac
Karstens
Wandy

They win at least 90 games with that rotation even if they don't get another bat. Also gives Gerrit Cole a chance at a full season at AAA before he's ready to go in 2014...unless of course he blows everyone away. Then dump Wandy and insert him into the rotation.

As for this season, though...as I said, I pretty much don't care anymore. After the Cards and Brewers, they have 13 games against the Astros and Cubs. If they can't find a way to win at least 9 of those games, then their chances at a winning season are pretty much kaput, and both Hurdle and Huntington are shown the door. I'd probably fire both of them anyway, even if they salvage a winning season.

Personally, I don't think firing Huntington and Hurdle would be in the best interested of the team. Hurdle has brought such a great attitude to the locker room, helped created a seventeen game improvement last year, and has helped the players get better in areas where they aren't good in by either sending them to the minors, benching them for a game, working with them, etc. There is only so much that he can do when it comes to winning and player execution. When Huntington took over, the entire team, including the minor league system was in complete shambles thanks to Littlefield and he helped fix that as much as he could, while he has brought in some flukes for players, he did bring in some good talent, and he's drafted pretty well IMO.

I would love to continue to sure up the starting rotation. Burnett has been great, but I'm worried he may not be as well next year. I'd like to see a couple of good veteran pitchers signed. I wouldn't mind saying goodbye to J-Mac, Correia, and Bedard. Wandy hasn't helped much, but maybe being able to go through Spring Training as a Pirates will help. I would also like to see some actual hitters signed too. Our outfield may be set with Cutch, Marte, and Synder, but time will tell. I say it maybe time to say goodbye to Pedro too because he just isn't cutting it.

X-Terminator
08-26-2012, 11:43 PM
Personally, I don't think firing Huntington and Hurdle would be in the best interested of the team. Hurdle has brought such a great attitude to the locker room, helped created a seventeen game improvement last year, and has helped the players get better in areas where they aren't good in by either sending them to the minors, benching them for a game, working with them, etc. There is only so much that he can do when it comes to winning and player execution. When Huntington took over, the entire team, including the minor league system was in complete shambles thanks to Littlefield and he helped fix that as much as he could, while he has brought in some flukes for players, he did bring in some good talent, and he's drafted pretty well IMO.

I would love to continue to sure up the starting rotation. Burnett has been great, but I'm worried he may not be as well next year. I'd like to see a couple of good veteran pitchers signed. I wouldn't mind saying goodbye to J-Mac, Correia, and Bedard. Wandy hasn't helped much, but maybe being able to go through Spring Training as a Pirates will help. I would also like to see some actual hitters signed too. Our outfield may be set with Cutch, Marte, and Synder, but time will tell. I say it maybe time to say goodbye to Pedro too because he just isn't cutting it.

Overseeing 2 epic collapses in a row, you deserve to be fired. Simple as that. And Huntington isn't really that great a judge of talent, and he moves players through the system too damn slow. As for Hurdle, yeah he's a player's manager, but the team's fundamentals are absolutely atrocious. No patience at the plate, refusal to take what the pitcher gives you instead of trying to hit a 3-run HR every at bat, terrible baserunning, can't steal bases, can't throw runners out trying to steal bases, defensive lapses, poor decision-making with pitchers...on and on and on. He is vastly overrated as a manager and they need someone in here who will focus and improve on all of those things. So yeah, I'd fire both Huntington and Hurdle and bring in people who actually understand the game and how to build a successful franchise.

Under NO circumstances would I ditch Pedro. You keep a guy like that in your lineup who can be a difference-maker with one swing of the bat. I'd take a .230-.240 average if he puts up 30+ HR and 90-100 RBI, which he is certainly capable of doing. The main thing he needs to work on is his defense, and again, having a manager with a competent staff will be able to correct those problems.

steelerdude15
08-27-2012, 12:55 AM
Overseeing 2 epic collapses in a row, you deserve to be fired. Simple as that. And Huntington isn't really that great a judge of talent, and he moves players through the system too damn slow. As for Hurdle, yeah he's a player's manager, but the team's fundamentals are absolutely atrocious. No patience at the plate, refusal to take what the pitcher gives you instead of trying to hit a 3-run HR every at bat, terrible baserunning, can't steal bases, can't throw runners out trying to steal bases, defensive lapses, poor decision-making with pitchers...on and on and on. He is vastly overrated as a manager and they need someone in here who will focus and improve on all of those things. So yeah, I'd fire both Huntington and Hurdle and bring in people who actually understand the game and how to build a successful franchise.

Under NO circumstances would I ditch Pedro. You keep a guy like that in your lineup who can be a difference-maker with one swing of the bat. I'd take a .230-.240 average if he puts up 30+ HR and 90-100 RBI, which he is certainly capable of doing. The main thing he needs to work on is his defense, and again, having a manager with a competent staff will be able to correct those problems.
Question is, if Hurdle and Huntington don't come back, who would replace them. Any candidates you would like to see?

X-Terminator
08-27-2012, 02:02 AM
Question is, if Hurdle and Huntington don't come back, who would replace them. Any candidates you would like to see?

Pluck someone from the A's or Rays for the GM, and promote Indy's manager and hitting coach to Pittsburgh. The new manager should inherit Ray Searage, who is a very good pitching coach, but hire his own staff everywhere else. Problem solved. But more than likely, both of them will be back - Hurdle for sure since he has 2 years left on his contract. So at the very least, fire hitting coach Gregg Ritchie and replace him with Indy's hitting coach, who has done good work in the past with guys like Presley, Tabata and Pedro.

steelpride12
08-27-2012, 06:58 PM
It's hard to put much blame on Huntington and Hurdle, yes they do deserve some, but until nut job Nutting is on the street this team will continue to struggle and never be a true honest contender. As you were saying XT about picking up Lohshe, it won't happen. We had a chance at Gonzales, but we pick up an 0-3 pitcher, is any of this news new or surprising?! I really try so damn hard each year to have a positive mentality, but I truly despise Nutting for what he has done to this franchise, but sadly I don't see the prick leaving until he wants to or dies.

vader29
08-28-2012, 08:14 AM
Pirates release Bedard

The Pirates have released struggling pitcher Erik Bedard, according to a source.

Bedard, a left-handed starter, was 7-14 with a 5.01 ERA this season, his only with the Pirates after signing a one-year, $4.5 million deal with the team during the offseason.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/pirates/pirates-release-pitcher-bedard-650838/#ixzz24qWwV780

X-Terminator
08-28-2012, 08:55 AM
About 2 months too late, to possibly save their winning season. Good job again, Neal.

Why does this assclown still have a job?

steelpride12
08-28-2012, 12:16 PM
Wow I just got the greatest call! So I got a call from a man named Pete from the Box Office at PNC. I don't know how he knows me, but he knows the game I've been to and was just asking me questions. He is offering me a free private tour of PNC with any friends and family I choose.

I'm not sure how I got randomly chose for this, but I can tell it's kinda a sales pitch because he mentioned about buying a plan for next season and such so I'm kinda nervous to go knowing he is going to torture me for money I don't have for season tickets.

steelerdude15
08-28-2012, 04:32 PM
Pirates release Bedard

The Pirates have released struggling pitcher Erik Bedard, according to a source.

Bedard, a left-handed starter, was 7-14 with a 5.01 ERA this season, his only with the Pirates after signing a one-year, $4.5 million deal with the team during the offseason.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/pirates/pirates-release-pitcher-bedard-650838/#ixzz24qWwV780

Didn't see this coming, but it needed to be done.

steelpride12
08-28-2012, 09:02 PM
What a fucking win tonight wow! Talk about a statement win for the Bucs, 9-0 win and 2 games behind the Cards and Pedro get's two HR's and his second is the longest in Pirates history at 469 yards....Gotta get the win tomorrow!

X-Terminator
08-28-2012, 09:15 PM
Just saw a replay of Pedro's 469-foot bomb...damn! For those who think the Pirates should dump him, he showed tonight why that thought shouldn't ever enter anyone's head. 2 HR with a combined distance of 891 feet. The bomb over the notch in left-center field was every bit as impressive. I don't think I've ever seen a lefty hit a ball over the notch before.

Hindes204
08-28-2012, 09:21 PM
Didn't see the game, but it looks as though JMac pitched a solid 7 innings (just looking at the stats)...and I can't wait to get home and watch sportscenter so I can see the bombs Pedro hit. C'mon Buccos, 13 wins to go....YOU CAN DO IT!!!!

X-Terminator
08-28-2012, 09:34 PM
I also saw the replay of Josh Harrison, all 5'8" of him, absolutely trucking Yadier Molina at the plate and damn near knocked him out. Must be something about the last name "Harrison" that makes them want to punish opposing players...

steelpride12
08-28-2012, 09:41 PM
I also saw the replay of Josh Harrison, all 5'8" of him, absolutely trucking Yadier Molina at the plate and damn near knocked him out. Must be something about the last name "Harrison" that makes them want to punish opposing players...

I tweeted him after that hit and asked if he wanted to take over for James Harrison when he retires haha.

steelerdude15
08-28-2012, 11:47 PM
Every time I start to think a little badly about Pedro, he finds a way to prove me wrong. He played great defensively, had the two HRs (one of which was his second out of the park, in the same area), and a RBI double. I just wish he was more consistent. On that note, I wish the Pirates were a more consistent team as a whole. Great win, but I'd like to see more than just a glimpse of what they were earlier this season. Come one guys, you're almost there...

X-Terminator
08-29-2012, 02:13 PM
Apparently a huge game tonight for the Pirates...have to win to keep pace with the Cards and, more importantly, win the season series. Which naturally means they will come up small again, like they always do.

Hindes204
08-29-2012, 03:56 PM
Apparently a huge game tonight for the Pirates...have to win to keep pace with the Cards and, more importantly, win the season series. Which naturally means they will come up small again, like they always do.

Youre always so optimistic, lol

steelpride12
08-29-2012, 07:14 PM
4-0 Bucs in the 3rd and Alvarez with another HR! I hope this guy is finally starting to come to form (better late than never)!

oneforthetoe
08-29-2012, 08:42 PM
4-0 Bucs in the 3rd and Alvarez with another HR! I hope this guy is finally starting to come to form (better late than never)!

It's Pedro. He will hit 5 more home runs over the next two games. Then, he will strike out 12 times over the next three. Still, as XT said, he is a guy the Pirates need to hold onto. If Pedro could ever get his average up around .260 consistently he would be a feared bat in MLB.

steelpride12
08-29-2012, 08:53 PM
Bucs for the second night in a row blank the Cards, and tonight with the 5-0 win, they win the series 2-1 and make a huge leap toward the wildcard push, now only 1 game back of the Cards and Pedro is starting to hit the ball real well and with a strong outing from Wandy and Jmac this team might be getting back on track!

X-Terminator
08-29-2012, 09:01 PM
Nice of them to come up big instead of small for once, but they have to face Rogers, Estrada and Gallardo in Milwaukee. I predict over 40 K combined and another lost series in that house of horrors up there. The good news is that the Cards have 4 against the Nats starting tomorrow, so they may not lose too much ground.

steelerdude15
08-29-2012, 09:47 PM
Good win by the Bucs tonight. Good hitting, solid pitching, and great play by the outfielders. The two out RBIs were our friend tonight. Hoping for a good series against the Brewers.

Chidi29
08-29-2012, 10:20 PM
It's Pedro. He will hit 5 more home runs over the next two games. Then, he will strike out 12 times over the next three. Still, as XT said, he is a guy the Pirates need to hold onto. If Pedro could ever get his average up around .260 consistently he would be a feared bat in MLB.

He's not that far this year. Closing in on .250