PDA

View Full Version : Roethlisberger On New Unis, Ward, Leadership Within the Steelers

polamalubeast
04-03-2012, 01:47 PM
Ben Roethlisberger has always been the center of attention in the Steel City, and Tuesday in New York City he along with 31 other NFL players were on hand to debut their teams new Nike NFL uniforms.

While the Steelers uni didn’t change much, Ben said that he liked the fact it’s a little lighter than that of the old Reebok unis.

“It’s a lot lighter and more comfortable in games, so late in games your going to feel like your not wearing anything,” Roethlisberger said.

The Steelers franchise QB talked about not being able to do much so far with new OC Todd Haley, and also said he would have hoped to have been able to meet and chat with the former Chiefs HC by now.

“You could be a lot busier if you could meet with him and talk to him,” Roethlisberger said. “If you have someone new come in I think you should be able to meet early.”

As far as the chatter that there was bad blood between he and the team about the dismissal of close friend, former OC Bruce Arians, Roethlisberger said it’s all hype.

“Way overblown, there’s nothing to that,” Roethlisberger said.

Another big topic in Steeler Nation has been Hines Ward, and his sudden announcement that he would retire, this after he said he wanted to continue playing, even if it was with another club.

read more

http://www.steelersgab.com/2012/04/03/roethlisberger-on-new-unis-ward-leadership-within-the-steelers/

SteelGhost
04-03-2012, 02:09 PM
Nice read PB, thanks for sharing

smokin3000gt
04-03-2012, 03:15 PM
“I have become the oldest guy on offense and the oldest guy in the locker room, it’s kind of one of those things I’ll do my best to try and be a leader,” Roethlisberger said. “We’ve got some other guys that can do it, but it’s time for some of those younger guys to step up.”

Not to look too deep and pick things apart but "do my best" and "try" certainly doesn't sound like someone who is going to grab the team by the horns and take control. I don't think it's the young guys that need to step up so much as the vets on the team. ESPECIALLY BR for how long he's been playing.

Count Steeler
04-03-2012, 03:32 PM
I think AB84 will be the new "leader" of the team. Though it should fall on Ben as the QB, he is the leader on the field, not off it. It is not in his personality.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-03-2012, 04:54 PM
I think AB84 will be the new "leader" of the team. Though it should fall on Ben as the QB, he is the leader on the field, not off it. It is not in his personality. Really?? did you see Antonio Brown on NFL Network last week?? I like the guy a lot, but he really didnt appear to be the kind of guy that is a vocal leader.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d827fc955/Antonio-Brown-opens-up

Count Steeler
04-03-2012, 05:51 PM
Really?? did you see Antonio Brown on NFL Network last week?? I like the guy a lot, but he really didnt appear to be the kind of guy that is a vocal leader.

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-network-total-access/09000d5d827fc955/Antonio-Brown-opens-up

Did not see him on NFL Network. Does not have to be vocal either. He leads by example. I get the impression he is a fiend in the weight room and he knows how to chill as well. The story of him going around town with a guy he hooked up with over twitter, going to dinner, working out, etc. tells me he has the outgoing personality to be a leader.

What impressed me the most was that he was voted MVP last year by the other players on the Steelers. That speaks volumes.

El-Gonzo Jackson
04-04-2012, 12:15 AM
Did not see him on NFL Network. Does not have to be vocal either. He leads by example. I get the impression he is a fiend in the weight room and he knows how to chill as well. The story of him going around town with a guy he hooked up with over twitter, going to dinner, working out, etc. tells me he has the outgoing personality to be a leader.

What impressed me the most was that he was voted MVP last year by the other players on the Steelers. That speaks volumes.
So kind of a quiet performer like Andre Johnson of the Texans.

ShutDown24
04-04-2012, 01:17 AM

Brown is a leader. No one can comment on how vocal he is unless you're in that locker room. It's fair to speculate that he isn't going to make speeches by his demeanour in interviews, but I really feel like he's someone who is looked at by the team for leadership. Ben will be the mouth during games, but Brown really seems to be the guy who will show the way in the locker room.

Count Steeler
04-04-2012, 05:49 AM
So kind of a quiet performer like Andre Johnson of the Texans.

Nah, I can see Brown kicking some ass when it is warranted.

I can also see Baron Batch being a leader in the near future. Yes, he has to stay healthy and make the team, but this kid can speak and inspire.

Steeldude
04-04-2012, 07:01 AM
When was the last time the Steelers had a leader on the offense?

hukfinn
04-04-2012, 01:15 PM
Hah - not so hard a question - that leader on offense left after the Detroit game. You know, Jerome Bettis !
I've been to a lot of games and even Latrobe a couple of times. Ben is not the leader. He is respected as the QB but not as the leader.
Hines seemed to fill the role until last season. They really seemed adrift in 2011 as far as Offensive leadership.

SteelGhost
04-04-2012, 02:58 PM
Welcome to the board hukfinn