PDA

View Full Version : Which Mike Wallace scenario would you prefer?

Iron Steeler
04-02-2012, 11:23 AM
A . Getting signed back to the Steelers and possibly losing money to spend on future stars? Or
B. Have another team sign him and gain an extra first rounder?

Pristas
04-02-2012, 11:54 AM
I voted for option 2. He is not a Larry or a Calvin. We draft wonderfully in the early rounds. It frees up money for other talent. Good receivers are a dime a dozen this year. I guarantee you there are three more Antonio Browns hidden in the later rounds this year. Ben's arm makes great receivers look elite. Imagine if we really had an elite receiver... Unfortunately for us, Brandon Lloyd is now with Tom Shady... now that is a scary offense.

steeldawg
04-02-2012, 12:25 PM
I say resign him, hes a big play guy who can stretch the field. Let Ben continue to build on the chemistry he has with our young recieving corp, why mess that up by bringing in a rookie who has to learn everything from scratch.

steelreserve
04-02-2012, 01:10 PM
I voted for option 2. He is not a Larry or a Calvin. We draft wonderfully in the early rounds. It frees up money for other talent. Good receivers are a dime a dozen this year. I guarantee you there are three more Antonio Browns hidden in the later rounds this year. Ben's arm makes great receivers look elite. Imagine if we really had an elite receiver... Unfortunately for us, Brandon Lloyd is now with Tom Shady... now that is a scary offense.

Brandon Lloyd is not an elite receiver. He had one outstanding year and otherwise averages about 400 yards a season. He was the best they could do under the circumstances. IMO, this doesn't change a thing for the Patriots.

polamalubeast
04-02-2012, 01:19 PM
resign him

O'Malley
04-02-2012, 01:36 PM
Should be an option 3...
Sign him to a one year deal and make him earn a long term contract..

Psycho Ward 86
04-02-2012, 01:44 PM
No, don't be the denver broncos. All they've done the past half decade is develop young, promising talent and either trade them away, cut them, or let them loose in free agency. Yeah i know it's only one guy, but this isnt alan faneca or joey porter were talking about. Those guys were great talents but were on the twilights of their careers. Wallace is a budding homegrown talent, we'll let him loose later if we need to.

SteelGhost
04-02-2012, 01:46 PM
Resign him IMHO

Pristas
04-02-2012, 02:22 PM
Brandon Lloyd is not an elite receiver. He had one outstanding year and otherwise averages about 400 yards a season. He was the best they could do under the circumstances. IMO, this doesn't change a thing for the Patriots.

I wasn't trying to say that Lloyd was elite, just that Tom Brady could make him look very good this year. Everyone is preparing for the double tight end threat from NE. Lloyd gives them an added dimension. He is on my fantasy radar in a big way. He was an awesome receiver when he and Orton hooked up, but things have drastically fallen off for him. Brady will make Lloyd amazing again. You heard it here.

st33lersguy
04-02-2012, 03:01 PM
Option 2 only as long as we package the picks to move up and into the top 15 and get an excellent prospect like DeCastro

Dino 6 Rings
04-02-2012, 04:08 PM
sign the guy to this year's tender, he plays hard for a big free agent contract next year...pay Antonio Brown either mid season or right after the season next year and then FRANCHISE TAG Wallace for the 2013 season.

evil but that's the Business.

GBMelBlount
04-02-2012, 06:11 PM
Sign him. No Brainer IMO

steelerdude15
04-02-2012, 07:38 PM
Get him back! I don't know about you all, but we finally have a deep threat who has speed and I don't want to lose that.

BigNastyDefense
04-02-2012, 08:11 PM
Let me preface this by saying I want to keep Mike Wallace long term. I want him to retire a Pittsburgh Steeler with a few Super Bowl rings on his fingers.

However, if resigning him is going to hurt the team in the long run, I would rather someone sign him away now so we at least get another first round pick out of the deal. If he wants Fitzgerald money (which he won't get from anyone, he isn't on Fitz's level), then he won't be a Steeler beyond next season. As it looks, nobody is signing him away so we will have him on the one-year tender with exclusive negotiating rights through this season and the very beginning of free agency next year.

But if the Steelers cannot come to an agreement with him, we'll end up with a third round comp pick for him instead. I'd prefer to lose him now and get a first.

However, if they can come to an agreement that pays him well and doesn't handcuff the Steelers in the future, lets keep him in the Black & Gold.

86WARD
04-02-2012, 08:25 PM

QFT!!

The Duke
04-02-2012, 08:41 PM
So long as it's a reasonable contract you have to resign him

GBMelBlount
04-02-2012, 08:57 PM
So long as it's a reasonable contract you have to resign him

Simple as that.

Pristas
04-02-2012, 09:00 PM
QFT!!

I call BS. Ocho Cinco didn't change a thing for the Pats. Lloyd will.

steeldawg
04-02-2012, 09:09 PM
letting wallace get away doesnt make alot of sense, we have him young and hes developed like we had hoped, why would we get rid of him to start over?

86WARD
04-02-2012, 09:11 PM
I call BS. Ocho Cinco didn't change a thing for the Pats. Lloyd will.

He might, but it will because he's with McDaniels. He's far from elite...

Godfather
04-02-2012, 09:50 PM
Keep him.

We don't have a lot of depth at receiver. No Hines, Cotch might go elsewhere, and Sanders might not stay healthy all year.

Psycho Ward 86
04-02-2012, 09:59 PM
He might, but it will because he's with McDaniels. He's far from elite...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VcqJJ4HcSQ

oh yeah lol look at those far from elite plays at

0:38, 0:41, 1:33, 2:12, 3:30, 3:53, 5:00, 5:17, 6:56, 8:03, 8:09, and 8:24

byproducts of Mcdaniels "system" of course :lol:. wonder if anyone can really even say exactly what that means. i dont get it, this is THE guy we shouldve maybe wouldve gotten had Wallace slipped out of our fingertips and we didnt want to draft a top-notch WR. Brown and Lloyd together would have the most insane body control/hands combo of any wide receiver tandem in the league, tell me there's a better one. It has little to do with stats, with the broncos it seemed like every other catch was a jawdropping high difficulty catch. Im pretty sure someone else here remembered how much excitement there was revolving around the guy at San Fran early on when he was doing the same thing before off field problems and injuries caught up to him for the longest time. Still made those same golden catches with the Rams and Broncos last season even if the stats dont show it. There's very few games outside of steelers games that i download off of ten yard torrents, but some broncos and rams games are the exception just because of lloyd, this kid is still crazy good, well worth your dvr!

TMC
04-03-2012, 08:38 AM
If his contract demands are not utterly absurd (and I do not buy the reports), then I keep him. Wide receiver is traditionally one of the hardest positions to draft and develop. We got very lucky with Wallace and Brown, finding them later in the draft. But, we also drafted guys like Willie Reid, Limas Sweed, and plenty others that never did a thing.

Sorry, I just do not see trading a guy you know can contribute for a lottery ticket that MAY give you what you already have, a player that can contribute. Wallace made the Pro Bowl. He is not a roster filler.