PDA

View Full Version : Re-Sign Jerricho Cotchery, Sign Demetrius Bell, Or Not Bring in Either Guy in 2012?

stillers4me
03-31-2012, 09:56 AM
While the Steelers have not been big spenders in Free Agency this offseason (as if they have ever been), there are a couple of guys on their radars which they will likely have to make a decision or two on in the coming weeks. Slot WR Jerricho Cotchery is still on the open market and apparently wants to come back and suit up for the Black & Gold long-term (http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2012/02/former_jets_player_jerricho_co.html), and according to Pat Kirwin of CBS.Sportsline the Steelers are willing to bring him back (http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/18076485/steelers-trying-to-bring-cotchery-back?source=rss_teams_Pittsburgh_Steelers). At this point in Free Agency however, Cotchery has garnered interest from Kansas City (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/23/chiefs-could-catch-cotchery/) and St. Louis (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/30/jerricho-cotchery-will-visit-with-the-rams/related/) and the demand/rate for his services could have been driven up as of late. Thus, Cotchery could be headed elsewhere if he indeed wants a long-term deal at a higher price than what cash-strapped Pittsburgh may be willing to offer.
As for the other potential Free Agent signee, Buffalo appears to be ready to let their starting Left Tackle Demetrius Bell walk and the Steelers appear to at least be interested. According to the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_789129.html), Bell came to the Steel City yesterday for a meeting with the team. While the Steelers do not have the budget of others interested in Bell’s services (Arizona, Washington, Green Bay, (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/30/steelers-hosting-demetrius-bell/) and most recently Philadelphia), they do have a need at Tackle and could sure use a player like him in 2012 to man the Left and/or Right Tackle position.
So what should the Steelers do in the coming weeks with Cotchery and Bell? Read on to hear my thoughts on the matter:
Case for Cotchery
I’ve been a proponent of bringing Jerricho Cotchery back since the season ended in January, and now my stance is as strong as ever on the matter. When Cotchery was healthy after coming off of a hamstring injury, he turned in some solid play for Pittsburgh late in the season and finished the year with a stat line of 16 Catches for 237 Yards and 2 TD’s in 13 games. Granted, Cotchery is now more useful as a #3 guy for a team like the Steelers so his raw statistical production will likely never be what it was when he was with the Jets................

Read more @ http://nicepickcowher.com/2012/03/31/re-sign-jerricho-cotchery-sign-demetrius-bell-or-not-bring-in-either-guy-in-2012-what-should-the-steelers-do/

86WARD
03-31-2012, 10:01 AM
Cotchery - Yes. 2-3 years.
Bell - meh...eagles are desperate, will probably offer more.

BigNastyDefense
03-31-2012, 10:03 AM
I would like to resign Cotchery if we can get him at the right price. It all depends on what's most important to him, more money over the life of the contract or competing for championships. I don't see St. Louis or Kansas City competing for Super Bowl berths in the near future, however the Steelers are in the playoffs more often than not and have three Super Bowl appearances with two wins in the big game in the past ten years.

As for Bell, if he gets cut he should come rather cheap, he'd be good for depth and maybe we could cut Jonathon Scott who's absolutely worthless and make Bell our immediate backup at both tackle spots.

ShutDown24
03-31-2012, 10:09 AM
I would love for the team to bring Cotchery back. It's a smart move. As for Bell, he's underrated but with Gilbert moving to left tackle I can take or leave the signing as long as the team selects and offensive linemen between rounds 1 - 4.

Steeltreal
03-31-2012, 12:33 PM
Im fine with No free agents if it means gaining a 3rd/4th compensatory next year for William Gay

SteelerFanInStl
03-31-2012, 01:13 PM
I'd like to see Cotchery come back. Sanders injury issues concern me and having Cotchery here will help to ease that concern.

Steeltreal
03-31-2012, 01:41 PM
I'd like to see Cotchery come back. Sanders injury issues concern me and having Cotchery here will help to ease that concern. He visited the Rams and if signed would be their #1

ShutDown24
03-31-2012, 01:47 PM
He visited the Rams and if signed would be their #1

I would have to think Brandon Gibson, Danario Alexander, Greg Salas and Steve Smith would have just as much of a shot at being starters as Cotchery would.

SteelerFanInStl
03-31-2012, 02:24 PM
I would have to think Brandon Gibson, Danario Alexander, Greg Salas and Steve Smith would have just as much of a shot at being starters as Cotchery would.

Exactly. The Rams also could still have Danny Amendola who's a restricted free agent and they will be drafting a WR in either the first or second round.

The Duke
03-31-2012, 04:24 PM
Cotch wouldn't be more than a #3 in Pittsburgh nor StLouis

and im sure he knows that

TomlinSteelTribe
03-31-2012, 04:38 PM
I'd like to see Cotchery come back. Sanders injury issues concern me and having Cotchery here will help to ease that concern.

I agree with this. Cotchery is a solid WR and the only guy on the roster I can see potentially filling Hines' shoes as chainmoving, possession WR.

steeldawg
03-31-2012, 04:46 PM
I dont understand the cotch hype? Sanders played less than cotch and was more productive. If we can get him cheap sure sign him, but nothing long term. If its between him and upgrading our tackle position i say bye bye cotchery.

ShutDown24
04-01-2012, 10:50 AM
Exactly. The Rams also could still have Danny Amendola who's a restricted free agent and they will be drafting a WR in either the first or second round.

Yeah. You're probably more familiar with the situation than I am but from what I know of the personnel all of those players with the exception of Alexander are more possession type receivers - like Cotchery. I think he would make for a good 3 or 4 option on any team but if you're St. Louis, why not just roll with the younger guys? I don't imagine the Rams were doing much more than kicking the tires on him.

BigNastyDefense
04-01-2012, 04:33 PM
I dont understand the cotch hype? Sanders played less than cotch and was more productive. If we can get him cheap sure sign him, but nothing long term. If its between him and upgrading our tackle position i say bye bye cotchery.

Cotchery is more of a possession type receiver. Sanders is a YAC receiver. If we need 4 yards for a first down, Cotch is the guy who can run a 4.5 yard route and get the first, much like Hines Ward was able to do. Sanders is a guy who you attempt to get the ball to in space and let him get yards after the catch. Their stats weren't all that far apart last season.

Cotchery -16 catches, 237 yards, 18.2 yards/game, 14.8 yards/catch average, 13 first downs, YAC 4.2, 2 TD
Sanders - 22 catches, 288 yards, 26.2 yards/game, 13.1 yards/catch average, 13 first downs, YAC 7.0, 2 TD

Sanders can't seem to stay healthy. If he goes down for multiple games, I would rather have Cotchery come in and be the #3 receiver than Jimmy Young who has no stats for his career.

SteelerFanInStl
04-01-2012, 04:43 PM
Yeah. You're probably more familiar with the situation than I am but from what I know of the personnel all of those players with the exception of Alexander are more possession type receivers - like Cotchery. I think he would make for a good 3 or 4 option on any team but if you're St. Louis, why not just roll with the younger guys? I don't imagine the Rams were doing much more than kicking the tires on him.

I think that the Rams were simply looking for a cheap veteran who they could bring in and have them help teach the younger guys. I don't see them signing Cotchery though.