PDA

View Full Version : Why Steelers Fans Shouldn't Lose Sleep Over Ryan Tannehill

polamalubeast
03-31-2012, 09:41 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/03/why-steelers-fans-shouldnt-lose-sleep-over-ryan-tannehill/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SteelersDepotBlog+%28Steelers +Depot+Blog%29

86WARD
03-31-2012, 10:02 AM
Didn't realize we were supposed to be losing sleep...lol.

polamalubeast
03-31-2012, 10:16 AM

:rofl2:

ShutDown24
03-31-2012, 10:22 AM
http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/03/why-steelers-fans-shouldnt-lose-sleep-over-ryan-tannehill/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SteelersDepotBlog+(Steelers+D epot+Blog) (http://www.steelersdepot.com/2012/03/why-steelers-fans-shouldnt-lose-sleep-over-ryan-tannehill/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SteelersDepotBlog+%28Steelers +Depot+Blog%29)

Ya know, I love Steelers Depot but I'm not really sure where that particular article was heading. It just kind of... lumped a bunch of old information together.

BigNastyDefense
03-31-2012, 10:25 AM
I haven't been losing sleep over him. I think he's a second round prospect that's going to be taken in the first round because of the premium on quarterbacks these days.

Last year, the following quarterbacks were taken in the first round:

1st overall - Cam Newton, Auburn to the Carolina Panthers
8th overall - Jake Locker, Washington to the Tennessee Titans
10th overall - Blaine Gabbert, Missouri to the Jacksonville Jaguars
12th overall - Christian Ponder, Florida State to the Minnesota Vikings

Newton was basically a consensus first overall pick. Gabbert was thought of by many draft experts as a top ten pick. Locker would have likely been the first overall pick in 2010 if he had come out then, but stayed for his senior season at Washington and was considered a middle to late first round pick at best. Ponder was considered a late second round pick at best by most. Instead, all of these players were top 12 picks.

Tannehill has an excellent arm. But so did a lot of first round busts. If that's all it took to be a successful QB in the NFL, then there would be a lot more franchise QB's in the NFL.

Also, Tanehill has what, one year of experience as a college QB? That's not a lot to go on, especially with how large the gap is between college football and the NCAA. Tannehill wasn't dominating teams all last season. His stats weren't bad (3744 yards, 29 TD, 15 INT, 61.6% completions)...but there's more to being a successful QB in the NFL than good stats in college. Ryan Leaf, Brady Quinn, Tim Couch, JaMarcus Russell, David Carr.....they all had good to great stats coming out of college and all have been first round busts.

I admit, I didn't get to see much of Tannehill. But what I did get to see, I wasn't overly impressed. His decision making needs help and when he was under pressure from the pass rush or was in a pressure situation at the end of a game. He needs at least a season, IMHO, to sit on the bench and see the difference...see the defenses...talk with the OC and/or QB coach on the sidelines and learn the NFL, and get game-reps in blowout losses to see the speed of the NFL. But that won't happen if he's taken in the Top 10. He will be starting week one as long as he gets into camp on time. Why? Because the Browns and Dolphins don't have anyone that they could say is so much better than him that he can sit and watch.

The only QB taken in the first round last season that didn't start due to poor play by the guy in front of him last season was Jake Locker. He had Matt Hasselbeck in front of him, and Hasselbeck is a former Pro Bowler who's still pretty good when healthy.

st33lersguy
03-31-2012, 10:30 AM
Maybe Steeler fans lose sleep over Trent Richardson, not Ryan Tannehill

Iron Steeler
03-31-2012, 11:06 AM
K...?

ALLD
03-31-2012, 12:34 PM
Cleveland better draft some skill players and worry about a QB in 2013.

fansince'76
03-31-2012, 02:25 PM
I know I'm skeered. :zzz:

salamander
03-31-2012, 02:30 PM
I'll keep that in mind. :yawn:

suitanim
04-01-2012, 09:01 AM
I will be worried about the Browns if they trade out of 4 for picks and load up on skill player and offensive lineman.

BigNastyDefense
04-01-2012, 09:28 AM
Maybe Steeler fans lose sleep over Trent Richardson, not Ryan Tannehill

I don't think the Browns will be taking Richardson. Their offense is way too pass-oriented to take a RB that high. They wouldn't be giving Richardson the ball anywhere near 20 times a game or more. They'd be best off taking Claiborne the corner from LSU and fortifying their pass defense with that pick, IMHO.

ShutDown24
04-01-2012, 09:31 AM
I don't think the Browns will be taking Richardson. Their offense is way too pass-oriented to take a RB that high. They wouldn't be giving Richardson the ball anywhere near 20 times a game or more. They'd be best off taking Claiborne the corner from LSU and fortifying their pass defense with that pick, IMHO.

Claiborne and Haden would be the best cornerback tandem in the league. Possibly immediately, but definitely within a year or two. I've never watched a better college corner than Claiborne. The dude is a stud. He has no major weaknesses, stays on his man regardless of what his front 7 does and plays the ball as if he were a receiver.

BigNastyDefense
04-01-2012, 04:16 PM
Claiborne and Haden would be the best cornerback tandem in the league. Possibly immediately, but definitely within a year or two. I've never watched a better college corner than Claiborne. The dude is a stud. He has no major weaknesses, stays on his man regardless of what his front 7 does and plays the ball as if he were a receiver.

I live in Cleveland, and Browns fans have called into the local sports radio shows and said that they don't want to here Claiborne's name following "And the Cleveland Browns...." which just shows how stupid Browns fans are. A great cornerback tandem like Haden and Claiborne could make the Browns defense a lot better, and they can still get a wide receiver at #22 to help the offense.

I'd lose sleep over having to face Claiborne/Haden. When's the last time a rookie quarterback came in and beat the Steelers? Especially a rookie quarterback with no offensive weapons to use.

polamalubeast
04-01-2012, 04:26 PM
. When's the last time a rookie quarterback came in and beat the Steelers? .

Week 17 in 2007 vs Troy Smith!

st33lersguy
04-01-2012, 05:56 PM

I don't think they would be best off taking Claiborne. Defense is not the problem. Their pass defense was ranked 2nd last year. The problem is offense and they have no weapons on offense. Justin Blackmon or Trent Richardson would help this team the most

Psycho Ward 86
04-01-2012, 07:30 PM
Week 17 in 2007 vs Troy Smith!

what about against our 1st team and not our backups?

suitanim
04-02-2012, 05:46 AM

They don't have a running back. They also ran the ball on average 26 times a game last year. It probably would have been more if they HAD a consistently healthy RB. Hillis was gimpy, and Hardesty can't stay healthy for more than a game or two.